Things That I Don't Know Why Is Not In The Game

[Free Camera]
- Why cant I watch the match in the Hight, Zoom, Place I want it, Focusing what I want?

[Stadium Editor]
- Why SI doesnt prive a Stadium Editor? I mean, the stadiums looks all english no matter what country you are

[Adjust columns on match widgets]
- Why can I just adjust the entire window and not just the columns?

[Minimum wages on Editor] 
- Why cant we set the minimum wages and contract type avaliable for players on each country through editor?

To finish I would ask if anyone knows if SI already have, even in the background, any project making the Match Engine for 3D. If not, why?

Thanks for the well thought out post. Your four suggestions would be best placed in our Feature Request forum, as they are requests for new features / new functionality of existing features. This can be found here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-pcmac/. The feature request forum is regularly reviewed by SI staff (even if they do not acknowledge every post, they do read them) This will ensure your ideas are seen.

As for the Match Engine, there is already a 3D view in game (has been since I think 2009), and yes I believe SI have teams that work on the match engine graphics and animations (as there are usually annual improvements to these areas anyway). Again, if there is a request for specific improvements in this area, this may be better placed as feature request. 

Due to this, I will lock this thread, to keep the discussion in the correct locations, 

GuitarMan has given a great explanation here, but it seems this isn't a feature request but rather questions to other forum users to generate some discussion. With this now clarified by @thiagoanjo, I'll re-open the thread to allow the discussion, but do keep in mind that if there are feature requests, to post it in that section. 

• HUNT3R unlocked this topic
36 minutos atrás, HUNT3R disse:

GuitarMan has given a great explanation here, but it seems this isn't a feature request but rather questions to other forum users to generate some discussion. With this now clarified by @thiagoanjo, I'll re-open the thread to allow the discussion, but do keep in mind that if there are feature requests, to post it in that section. 

Thanks for the quick attention! 

On 17/10/2020 at 20:25, thiagoanjo said:

To finish I would ask if anyone knows if SI already have, even in the background, any project making the Match Engine for 3D. If not, why?

The match engine is 3D, isn't it? I know they work on it every year. The match engine is tinkered with on a regular basis.

Are you asking for a new match engine to be written/created? Don't quote me on this, but wasn't the matche engine rewritten a few FMs back? I am sure starting again from scratch is a monumental task. Sometimes it is just better to work on what you have.

If you have complaints about the match engine then you are free to post them. Others aren't shy. If tyou make a constructive and reasonable post people will listen and answer you as best they can.

[Adjust columns on match widgets]

I do like this idea, but I am not sure if it will be relevant for FM21. We haven't seen anything in full detail yet, at least as far as I am aware, but I believe the match view is very much changed for FM21.

I do personally use a lot of widgets, and I have often thought it would be wonderful to be able to reconfigure them like I do squad views. It needs to be limited however, to stop users clogging up the screen. I don't think you could be able to put the whole of a squad page view on the window. I have often wanted to combine my fitness widget and player body language widget in to one. The only one I have ever been able to add to is stats.

It is an idea that I think is worth revisiting for FM21.

[Stadium Editor]
- Why SI doesnt prive a Stadium Editor? I mean, the stadiums looks all english no matter what country you are

There's been other threads about this. Feel free to join in the discussion with ideas. Might have fallen off the front page, but I posted in a thread about this recently. It might be for licensing reasons that they can't have a stadium editor, but I do feel edits to the look of stadiums is warranted and something that would really add to FM. I've finally started seeing some very small stadiums in my Koper save, such as fields that look like they just have a fence around them (some tiny stadiums in the Slovenian leagues), but it is then very immersion breaking that there is a ruddy great car park behind the pitch.

Edited by anagain

7 horas atrás, anagain disse:

The match engine is 3D, isn't it?

No, the ME is only for 2D. The 3D graphics are just a skin that they inserted after if you want, thats why you see many times the ball moving without the player touch it.

It needs to be limited however, to stop users clogging up the screen.

What you mean? You want own the screen of another person?

Im mean if someone wants to do whatever they want with their screen, they shouldnt cause you think is uggly?

It might be for licensing reasons

Thats tricky, what is the difference between stadium editor and players/staff/leagues, clubs editor?

I hope they give us that soon, because we can do a great job editing, but it is a lot of work and you have to edit the capacity with editor in-game after start the save, cause the visual and the numbers are wrong

Stadium editor!! This is what I want. While the look of stadiums have become quite good lately it's made me want a little more. Too often the  game sees that a stadium has "1500 capacity" and it builds a full stadium with a parking lot when in real life these are just a field next to a mountain. If there was an editor we could spend the time fixing the look of each one, no matter how obscure the team.

On 17/10/2020 at 21:25, thiagoanjo said:

- Why cant I watch the match in the Hight, Zoom, Place I want it, Focusing what I want?

Maybe they did not know there are people who want it? Definitely one for the feature request. I mean it is something I have never considered, but sure, why not? 

From previous discussions it seems one of the main reasons is copyright. I do not understand exactly how that works, but I know it is a minefield. It would definitely be a lovely thing to have though. Even if it is just a way to specify what each side of the ground looks like in the editor without getting to the point you can reproduce stadiums. Perhaps copyright prevents them for actually trying to define stadiums to look correct. 

From what I can tell from the FM21 video, widgets are a thing of the past anyway as they have redesigned the match screen. I thought you could resize in both directions? Maybe I am wrong there, since I set them all up once and never touch them again.

- Why cant we set the minimum wages and contract type avaliable for players on each country through editor?

You can only do it at a club level, I think? There is a way to set the rough values of contracts in the editor at a country level, but I have never played with it to see how well it actually works. Any editor improvements are always welcome. 

6 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

No, the ME is only for 2D. The 3D graphics are just a skin that they inserted after if you want, thats why you see many times the ball moving without the player touch it.

Well, if you want to look at it that way, so is the 2D then. The match engine is a code file. If what you are asking for is the match to be played real time and the actions determine the result, then I think you might be asking too much for FM.

What you mean? You want own the screen of another person?

Im mean if someone wants to do whatever they want with their screen, they shouldnt cause you think is uggly?

What I mean is if you are able to add columns on to a widget then that widget could become too large. There is little point having a widget that takes up the whole screen. They're supposed to be tucked away in the corner but to allow you to see information without having to use another tab.

Thats tricky, what is the difference between stadium editor and players/staff/leagues, clubs editor?

I hope they give us that soon, because we can do a great job editing, but it is a lot of work and you have to edit the capacity with editor in-game after start the save, cause the visual and the numbers are wrong

There has already been discussion regarding how users are allowed to edit stuff that is changed due to licensing. I don't know whether that discussion is still ongoing. I also just recalled seeing something about stadiums being recreated being a possible licensing issue.

In an ideal world you could play FM and have the stadium of your team recreated as you know it, but we have to remember that what makes this game great is the depth of the simulation and the research, not recreating the beautiful game in full graphical detail.

I would like for SI to add more parts in which stadiums can be built from in game though.

As much as I'd love a perfectly recreated Dean Court in FM I do think FM are better putting their time in to player animations or improving the modelling of interaction systems etc. That doesn't mean we can't have more stadium looks every edition, but a full blown stadium editor might be asking too much. In my opinion.

5 horas atrás, anagain disse:

If what you are asking for is the match to be played real time and the actions determine the result, then I think you might be asking too much for FM.

But it is like that already, it is real time and the actions determines the reaults, but it is made for flat discs on a flat table

widget could become too large

But whats wrong if someone wants to see 70% of his screen covered by widgets? I think it is way more efficient than you have to click all the time to open/close a lot of them

are better putting their time in to player animations or improving the modelling of interaction systems etc.

But a stadium editor is for community editing, not SI, so they dont need to spend nothing from their time working on stadium creation, and yeah I agreed that should put their efforts on animations and ME much more than everything

2 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

But it is like that already, it is real time and the actions determines the reaults, but it is made for flat discs on a flat table

To be fair, I'm not sure anyone but SI know exactly how it works. I'm not even sure if the 2D view is any different from the 3D view. I think they both run off the simulation and the simulation projects to the graphics. With 3D it's just more obvious when the simulation has struggled to put the events of the match engine in to graphical form.

3D benefits so much more from more animations than the 2D obviously does. If the perfect animation is not there then the 3D has to interpret it in other ways. 2D is just dots moving around and 'fill in', for want of a better word or phrase, is less obvious.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on that take on the game though. 

But whats wrong if someone wants to see 70% of his screen covered by widgets? I think it is way more efficient than you have to click all the time to open/close a lot of them

Yes, it is very much up to the user. I agree with that. I just don't see the reason to use the 3D match engine if you cover the view in widgets. Not that that doesn't mean options shouldn't be available, of course. It seemed you wanted discussion, so just my thoughts. :)

But a stadium editor is for community editing, not SI, so they dont need to spend nothing from their time working on stadium creation, and yeah I agreed that should put their efforts on animations and ME much more than everything

I just wonder if having replica stadiums in game is opening SI up for more licensing claims, is all. They have to be careful.

If there was some allowance for SI to make available the ability for talented modelers to make their own stadium parts, then I couldn't argue with that.

The thread that discussed a clamp down on graphics packs add ons for FM was last November. I haven't see any more on it, but I believe some of the FM graphics sites took down logo packs etc. Extending the possibility for user modding will just increase any chance of licensers clamping down. Money makes the world go round and if they can get money for us players using logo packs or facepacks then they will. If not the money people will attempt to block it. Sad but true, but probably best not to increase the likelhood with more add ons.

As far as I am aware the matches are already calculated in 3D (from what I remember that was one of the reasons the old 2D view was got rid of as it was causing issues with the match engine going forward) - the matches are calculated in code (where it crunches the number with no care as to how the result then gets translated to the screen, though there may be some limitations on how detailed the calculations are for performance reasons whilst other limitations would be on the programmers ability to translate real world physics into computer code, for example ball physics can get incredibly complicated).

The result of the match calculation then gets passed to the graphical engine which then does it's best to display the results as commentary, 2D or 3D action depending on what you have selected, and most of the time match issues are more due to the graphics struggling to translate the code - people used to get confused when the 2D dots randomly stopped because you cannot easily show someone falling over as a dot, but is easier to show in 3D, however 3D then requires an animation to show this but it also turns out animating human bodies is incredibly difficult especially if you want them to react more naturally, which is why most of it is done via motion capture but that is expensive and time consuming (even more so during a pandemic).

For the widgets there isn't really any reason they shouldn't be more adjustable, I expect the main reason they aren't is due to time and resources - the basic code behind the widgets and the various player rating screens hasn't been changed in years and it pre-dates the customizable column code, so most likely it's something that hasn't been gotten to yet. Of course the match screens have had some attention for FM21 but we'll need to wait and see what they change, otherwise it's worth logging this in the feature request forum if you haven't already.

For the Stadium Editor, time and resources is again the most likely reason, SI have their own internal programs for building the stadiums so they'd need to clean that up and make it user friendly to release to the public they'd also need to remove any trade secrets (game code) and then you have the issue of having to support it and deal with support issues coming from people using third party stadiums.

In addition to that it's not even clear that there is much demand for editable stadiums as we can already edit various bits about the stadiums but there hasn't really been that much interest from the modding community in it (yes you cannot create brand new stadiums or assign them to certain teams but you can edit the stadium textures and alter how some of the stadium presets work) - the people that want a stadium editor seem to think we'd get a fancy graphical tool that allows you to drag and drop pre-built stands into place (sort of how you could mix and match stadium pieces in the old LMA games) but that isn't really the kind of tools SI provide, and if they did I'd much prefer a graphical based skinning tool first.

For the lack of stadiums included with the game, it's been mentioned in the past that licensing issues limit the kind of pre-set stadiums SI can show (and even for licensed teams stadium licenses seem to be a separate license), and the previously mentioned time and resources issue comes into play the game has thousands of clubs so it's a fair amount of work to provide all the possible generic stadium variations you could need (I don't even think EA include that many stadiums in FIFA?).

That's not to say the game couldn't do with more stadium/stand variants (especially at certain levels) or having the 3D stuff more user editable like the other game files are, but again it's a question of resources that SI have so far decided are best used elsewhere.

(Also note above post is my own opinion based on my experience with the game and isn't SI's official position for that you'd need to seek out a post from a 'proper' blue badge holder).

On 22/10/2020 at 07:55, sporadicsmiles said:

Maybe they did not know there are people who want it? Definitely one for the feature request. I mean it is something I have never considered, but sure, why not?.

Look PES 3 Replay its basic thing on football watch Replay at any angles to identity why you concede or score a goal

I already post a request

11 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

As far as I am aware the matches are already calculated in 3D (from what I remember that was one of the reasons the old 2D view was got rid of as it was causing issues with the match engine going forward) - the matches are calculated in code (where it crunches the number with no care as to how the result then gets translated to the screen, though there may be some limitations on how detailed the calculations are for performance reasons whilst other limitations would be on the programmers ability to translate real world physics into computer code, for example ball physics can get incredibly complicated).

The result of the match calculation then gets passed to the graphical engine which then does it's best to display the results as commentary, 2D or 3D action depending on what you have selected, and most of the time match issues are more due to the graphics struggling to translate the code - people used to get confused when the 2D dots randomly stopped because you cannot easily show someone falling over as a dot, but is easier to show in 3D, however 3D then requires an animation to show this but it also turns out animating human bodies is incredibly difficult especially if you want them to react more naturally, which is why most of it is done via motion capture but that is expensive and time consuming (even more so during a pandemic).

For the widgets there isn't really any reason they shouldn't be more adjustable, I expect the main reason they aren't is due to time and resources - the basic code behind the widgets and the various player rating screens hasn't been changed in years and it pre-dates the customizable column code, so most likely it's something that hasn't been gotten to yet. Of course the match screens have had some attention for FM21 but we'll need to wait and see what they change, otherwise it's worth logging this in the feature request forum if you haven't already.

For the Stadium Editor, time and resources is again the most likely reason, SI have their own internal programs for building the stadiums so they'd need to clean that up and make it user friendly to release to the public they'd also need to remove any trade secrets (game code) and then you have the issue of having to support it and deal with support issues coming from people using third party stadiums.

In addition to that it's not even clear that there is much demand for editable stadiums as we can already edit various bits about the stadiums but there hasn't really been that much interest from the modding community in it (yes you cannot create brand new stadiums or assign them to certain teams but you can edit the stadium textures and alter how some of the stadium presets work) - the people that want a stadium editor seem to think we'd get a fancy graphical tool that allows you to drag and drop pre-built stands into place (sort of how you could mix and match stadium pieces in the old LMA games) but that isn't really the kind of tools SI provide, and if they did I'd much prefer a graphical based skinning tool first.

For the lack of stadiums included with the game, it's been mentioned in the past that licensing issues limit the kind of pre-set stadiums SI can show (and even for licensed teams stadium licenses seem to be a separate license), and the previously mentioned time and resources issue comes into play the game has thousands of clubs so it's a fair amount of work to provide all the possible generic stadium variations you could need (I don't even think EA include that many stadiums in FIFA?).

That's not to say the game couldn't do with more stadium/stand variants (especially at certain levels) or having the 3D stuff more user editable like the other game files are, but again it's a question of resources that SI have so far decided are best used elsewhere.

(Also note above post is my own opinion based on my experience with the game and isn't SI's official position for that you'd need to seek out a post from a 'proper' blue badge holder).

Thanks you, you give us more précision but when i ask stadiums editor its for make SI in Big trouble but its for make stadium more realistic ( i dont want to replicate camp no or something) 20-33-28-1525250226_irrealisticstadium.png.e5dadb35e89dfb7fe8c668f33db46c15.thumb.png.cf34f0f85e8c4e6d3644675174de5ae8.png

Maybe if they can't SI Can work with First Touch Game ???they make Really good stadiums 😍( They Can Ask advices )

Screenshot_2020-10-23-10-03-23-919_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.036597463dc8ebb9d8f75687f72ea09b.jpg

This year they work with SciSport si why not🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by destmez

28 minutes ago, destmez said:

Thanks you, you give us more précision but when i ask stadiums editor its for make SI in Big trouble but its for make stadium more realistic ( i dont want to replicate camp no or something) 20-33-28-1525250226_irrealisticstadium.png.e5dadb35e89dfb7fe8c668f33db46c15.thumb.png.cf34f0f85e8c4e6d3644675174de5ae8.png

I get what you're saying, but it's not like these don't exist in stadiums. They're probably a bit too wide, but just looking at a couple of stadiums (one Prem and one lower league) and it is something that does appear:

United.jpg.6f15593878aaa3553dd55b1ca6f36e95.jpg

stadiums.jpg.6f1b7b12fe8793e5d7b8c02f955f2a8b.jpg

19 minutes ago, Huey Lewis said:

I get what you're saying, but it's not like these don't exist in stadiums. They're probably a bit too wide, but just looking at a couple of stadiums (one Prem and one lower league) and it is something that does appear:

United.jpg.6f15593878aaa3553dd55b1ca6f36e95.jpg

stadiums.jpg.6f1b7b12fe8793e5d7b8c02f955f2a8b.jpg

Yeah this is a way to Big 😨 when need to make them like FM 16 👍😍Screenshot_2020-10-23-10-45-34-226_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.3f5896fc39966317dd404a0a8d9d8c02.jpgthat was more realistic , Pls SI bring back to the FM 16 and 17 3D artist

Edited by destmez

17 horas atrás, michaeltmurrayuk disse:

The result of the match calculation then gets passed to the graphical engine

When I say the game engine is make for 2D is that when you are coding (writing the scripts) you do that with 2D bases. You can see always a perfect move by 2D, but many moments you will see the ghosting on 3D, the player colliding without touching on another, the player moving the ball without touching it, the player are not touching on 3D, why the ball is moving? Because on 2D the disc touches the ball, because on 2D the disc are colliding, here is an sample:

On 3D the ball is moved by Cancelo without the player physicly do it

Here the same, but the flat disc physicly do it

Here is something that can clarify what Im saying, you have code, of course, but is based on 2D actions, moves, etc, watch until 03:58:

When I say the game engine is make for 2D is that when you are coding (writing the scripts) you do that with 2D bases. You can see always a perfect move by 2D, but many moments you will see the ghosting on 3D, the player colliding without touching on another, the player moving the ball without touching it, the player are not touching on 3D, why the ball is moving? Because on 2D the disc touches the ball, because on 2D the disc are colliding, here is an sample:

On 3D the ball is moved by Cancelo without the player physicly do it

Here the same, but the flat disc physicly do it

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying really. If you are saying Cancelo does not physically pass the ball in the 3D clip then I think you are wrong. To me he clearly passes the ball. His leg moves and sweeps in the direction of the ball. Maybe you have to fill in very small gaps with your mind, but he clearly passes the ball.

I'm not sure how you can say the flat disc 'physically' does it.

Regarding players not looking like they touch one another when close, well as far as I am aware there is no collision in FM. I know Loki Doki mentions it in every video in which he voices his desires for FM.

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you are saying.

Edited by anagain

1 minuto atrás, anagain disse:

Cancelo does not physically pass the ball in the 3D clip then I think you are wrong.

Not talking about the pass, the move when he receive the ball, he does turn like 25° and then more 2° to left. The ball move alone on 3D, the feet doesnt touch the ball to make it move. On 2D the disc is touching and moving the ball

2 minutos atrás, anagain disse:

well as far as I am aware there is no collision in FM

Yes there is, since FM 13, and the players also can avoid the collision through AI, and you even can change the delay after a player avoid the collision through "physical_contraints.json" on that line "min_delay_for_player_stop_to_avoid_collision": 750, // 0.5s - 2 slices

You can see the discs colliding on 2D when they dont touch themselves on 3D.

Also I have no idea who is Loki Doki, if he is a streamer I wouldnt know, cause I dont really watch FM streamings

4 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

Not talking about the pass, the move when he receive the ball, he does turn like 25° and then more 2° to left. The ball move alone on 3D, the feet doesnt touch the ball to make it move. On 2D the disc is touching and moving the ball

I just don't see that. When the ball first reaches Cancelo it seems to phase through his right foot a little, but I don't see it being worse in any way than the 2D. If anything I have to use my imagination to fill in the gaps way more with the 2D than I do the 3D.

The disc is very different to the player model. It is much wider for one thing. Nor does it have animations. It just has what resemble feet to show what direction it is looking.

Like has been said, the program simulates the match and then the engine tries to fit the match to the animations available. Yes, FM could benefit from more animations for the 3D models, but I don't think that has ever been disagreed with.

it could be that Animations in FM21 look noticeably better as well, particularly when it comes to players’ movement. This is because of the way we’ve overhauled the blending of animations which, in layman’s terms, is what happens when a player transitions from one animation to the next. This period might only last for a split second but it needs to be as smooth as possible in order to look natural

45 minutos atrás, anagain disse:

The disc is very different to the player model. It is much wider for one thing. Nor does it have animations. It just has what resemble feet to show what direction it is looking.

Like has been said, the program simulates the match and then the engine tries to fit the match to the animations available. Yes, FM could benefit from more animations for the 3D models, but I don't think that has ever been disagreed with.

The Devs, while they are coding, do you think they only see letters all the time? The base is 2D.

That Engine created on 2008 for 2D never changed, only upgraded. For 2D it is PERFECT, all physics: turns, walks, jogs, run, sprints, kicks, passes, it fits perfectly, cause it is the base for coding.

Watch the video I posted, see how you do code.

The disc is very different to the player model.

Of course it is, but it could happen the same with them on 2D, dont?I mean the ball moving without being touched? You would see the disc running, the ball moving but not touching, the player shooting, the ball going, but the action happens with a gap between them, no that not happens on 2D, not because the object is larger, but because it was made with that base.

I just don't see that. When the ball first reaches Cancelo it seems to phase through his right foot a little

Ok, if you cant understand what Im saying in this video, it is pointless for me arguing:

3D not touching 

2D touching

This is what an engine based on 3D looks like (short video):

Edited by thiagoanjo

On 22/10/2020 at 15:42, anagain said:

just wonder if having replica stadiums in game is opening SI up for more licensing claims

I missed that, sorry :D

I think SI doesnt need to do the edition (replica), FM could be sold just like the players/clubs/staffs without license are

47 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

I missed that, sorry :D

I think SI doesnt need to do the edition (replica), FM could be sold just like the players/clubs/staffs without license are

0:28 😐➡️🙂

Edited by destmez