Mid Season slump and formation advice

1 hour ago, Dfs said:

Could you elaborate on why the use of tighter marking in that style and setup is so unsuited? I understand it looks odd for tiki taka but is there something more to it, like formation is not really suitable?

Because tight marking is a lot more suited for compact defensive-minded styles with a more bottom-heavy formations, which reduce playable space for the opposition in your own half. Plus, you don't need tighter marking in order for your players to mark the opponents, because they will do marking anyway, just in a different way. Every player will naturally look to cover an opponent in his area of defensive responsibility in one way or another when your team is out of possession. 

On 25/10/2020 at 20:05, Experienced Defender said:

PFat

IFsu                               IWsu

DLPsu   MEZat

HB

FBat   CDde  BPDde   WBsu

SKsu

This is basically my favorite setup of roles and duties for the style I like to call "progressive possession football". 

Regarding your 2 DLs (Devetak and Milosevic), I would probably give a slight advantage to the latter (primarily for his speed and mental attributes), although neither looks ideal for the style of play you are pursuing. 

Set pieces are not my area of expertise. I am neither too bad nor to good when it comes to set pieces. But Rashidi recently had a video on set pieces, so you can check out his YouTube channel ("Bust the net gaming") :thup:

And how do you set the Team tactics around this formation of R&D?

Thx much!

Edited by HanziZoloman

21 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

And how do you set the Team tactics around this formation of R&D?

Positive - PoD, shorter passing, WBiB & BME - counter-press - higher DL & split block

P.S: But if you want more discussion, you'll have to either start a separate thread or drop me a PM, because this topic is about the OP's tactics (not mine). 

22 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

N1! 
let‘s have a look at the tactic

Well, I started with my typical formation which you could find a few posts up. I got lucky and scored a quick goal, but after about 15 minutes it was clear that trying to play nice football vs Barcelona will soon end in disaster. After conceding a goal, I basically tried to find a way to best utilize my 3 best players.

My DLP

1687756457_LuisBedoya_Profile.thumb.png.4a319682f2728386a4a7afde7f11c835.png

My striker

1222262377_VukasinMilovanovic_Profile.thumb.png.fd1612f1be0e0e09f414694ba1a916b1.png

and my Inside Forward (he was at that time already sold to Arsenal for 58 million euros but it included loan back clause)

232828624_AbdullaFahadAl-Khater_Profile.thumb.png.233a52f27853ff3fcd29873debe61472.png

because they were the only 3 players who could actually threaten Barcelona (I could probably include my WB L in the group, but he's not fast enough to capitalize on counters). So, the idea was to defend in depth, while keeping Milovanovic and Al-Khater higher up, ready to make use of any long ball opportunities by Bedoya.

I switched the mentality to cautios, lowered LOE and D Line significantly, removed play out of defence and changed Milovanovic from his DLF (S) to CF (S), to give him a slightly more attacking mentality and more creative freedom.

I also switched from counter press to regroup when possession is lost and to counter when possession has been won. I was comfortable with "get stuck in" since I thought I had enough bodies to take that risk.

946526137_FudbalskiKlubVojvodina_Overview-2.thumb.png.934bac464fe84c11599177bb2b5ec7ff.png

So, nothing fancy, kept the same formation, but was hoping that eventually the trio would be able to create something. As you can see from the screenshot, it worked a treat, as those 3 players did a number on Barca. Bedoya had 6 key passes and an assist, while Al-Khater and Milovanovic scored a brace each. Also, I had a decent amount of luck.

Unfortunately, it didn't help me much as I've lost the 2nd leg 5:1 and was knocked out. Injuries and suspensions meant that my team was heavily weakened in rematch (Bedoya 2 months, my AP damaged cruciate ligaments, and my WB was suspended). Coupled with the fact that Man City poached my BWM prior to it, Milovanovic and Al-Khater couldn't do it by themselves and I was soundly beaten and out of CL.

Fudbalski Klub Vojvodina_ Overview.png

23 hours ago, Sarmatian said:

Bedoya had 6 key passes and an assist, while Al-Khater and Milovanovic scored a brace each. Also, I had a decent amount of luck.

N1 but I like the idea of setting your three most dangerous men in place and try it. Inspiring!

btw where do I find these player stats above?

finaly: a shame, it hurts being finished off like this after such a good start. Had a 0:0 at home against Inter and hoped for my nice counter tactic in the 2nd leg but was send home with a 5:1 just like you. Biggest hurt has been a 8:2 against ManU ;)