Which Central Defender/ Full Back Could Become A Striker

After seeing this reddit thread about Phil Jones being a great striker for PSG I was just curious what other defenders could convert into a good striker. I was thinking or doing it serious by maybe having Eric Dier as a targetman or Trent Alexander Arnold as an advanced forward.

I would like to try it with someone rubbish like Phil Jones though so the funnier the suggestion the better and I will do a season with the team that player plays for with him up front.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming we want a young player so they can grow into it; Malang Sarr and Alessandro Bastoni be two good suggestions IMHO

I've actually thought of doing this a couple times with newgens - fast, big, FB/WBs - to make a real beast of a PF for a pressing frontman but haven't done so yet.

Edited by CaptCanuck

I'd guess it all revolves around attributes. I seem to remember @Cleon converting a defender to a striker several years ago, and @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! turning Coutinho into a wingback. Someone in the Manchester United thread - maybe last year - showed how they turned Andreas Periera (AMC ) into a very effective regista.

If you look at the highlighted attributes for a lot of striker roles, 'finishing' is often a secondary requirement, behind things like first touch, anticipation, composure. Without giving it much thought, I'd imagine a young ball-playing defender could be converted without too much difficulty.

Edit to add: I can't remember specific examples, but I've found a few players at lower league clubs in saves who are natural at both CB and striker.

Edited by warlock

11 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Assuming we want a young player so they can grow into it; Malang Sarr and Alessandro Bastoni be two good suggestions IMHO

I've actually thought of doing this a couple times with newgens - fast, big, FB/WBs - to make a real beast of a PF for a pressing frontman but haven't done so yet.

Good suggestions. I don't know whether to take it seriously by using a good player or picking a rubbish player like that guy did with Phil Jones.

9 hours ago, warlock said:

I'd guess it all revolves around attributes. I seem to remember @Cleon converting a defender to a striker several years ago, and @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! turning Coutinho into a wingback. Someone in the Manchester United thread - maybe last year - showed how they turned Andreas Periera (AMC ) into a very effective regista.

If you look at the highlighted attributes for a lot of striker roles, 'finishing' is often a secondary requirement, behind things like first touch, anticipation, composure. Without giving it much thought, I'd imagine a young ball-playing defender could be converted without too much difficulty.

Edit to add: I can't remember specific examples, but I've found a few players at lower league clubs in saves who are natural at both CB and striker.

Cheers for the insight mate. I might look at converting a player into a different position in every one of my saves on FM2021. I remember converting Aour from Lyon into a Libero and doing well.

5 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Good suggestions. I don't know whether to take it seriously by using a good player or picking a rubbish player like that guy did with Phil Jones.

Cheers for the insight mate. I might look at converting a player into a different position in every one of my saves on FM2021. I remember converting Aour from Lyon into a Libero and doing well.

Gotta go with a good player, see if you can get a double-digit scorer out of one of them :-)

I'm currently converting an attacking winger into an attacking WB. He's not happy about it but it's happening. I'm also taking CMs and making them BPDs. Nothing too outlandish and natural moves really, but if you see a player you think would really work for your team elsewhere, take a punt!

34 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

Gotta go with a good player, see if you can get a double-digit scorer out of one of them :-)

I'm currently converting an attacking winger into an attacking WB. He's not happy about it but it's happening. I'm also taking CMs and making them BPDs. Nothing too outlandish and natural moves really, but if you see a player you think would really work for your team elsewhere, take a punt!

Yeah it might make the saves more fun and keep me interested.

Maybe Harry Maguire as a targetman might work.

1 hour ago, 3runhomer said:

Kouyate on Crystal Palace might work. They’ve used him at centerback but he’s versatile. Mobile and tall. Could be a pressing forward who bangs in headers. 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Kristoffer Ajer would maybe work as a DLF(s), good passing, anticipation, composure, and decent finishing too. 

Good choices. I look forward to seeing how they go.

I have decided to start a save with Burnley and have Ben Mee upfront as a Targetman. I will be posting my progress in this thread if anyone wants to keep an eye on it and please keep suggesting players.

Not a suggestion for a bad player, but I tried a while ago with Todibo at Schalke - he was decent (23 goals 8 assists in 34 games) without having a great team around him. In hindsight I think he would have been a lot better as part of a front 2, with wingbacks (in the DM line) as I think they tend to be more willing to cross.

He was a natural at STC by the end of the first season - it was a little dull as it was more like having a pretty good striker with frustratingly bad finishing, rather than a CB playing up top.

Edited by Stackalee

24 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Not a suggestion for a bad player, but I tried a while ago with Todibo at Schalke - he was decent (23 goals 8 assists in 34 games) without having a great team around him. In hindsight I think he would have been a lot better as part of a front 2, with wingbacks (in the DM line) as I think they tend to be more willing to cross.

He was a natural at STC by the end of the first season - it was a little dull as it was more like having a pretty good striker with frustratingly bad finishing, rather than a CB playing up top.

That is good. Ben Mee hasn't banged them in but he is doing well. By January he got 8 goals and 8 assists I think.

• 2 weeks later...