International Management!!!!.....

.... it's a bit boring isn't it? :D I've got 76 days until my next game, what am I supposed to do?

I've watched a few games but meh. I'm nosing at my old team & wonder what the hell the new manager's playing at  

I've taken to going on week long holidays & keeping my squad "picked" so I'm not faffing around on squad announcement day 

Oh, I'm the England manager by the way, don't think I've ever been an international manager on an FM, I was Spain & England manager on Champ Man 00/01 but that's about it

ETA: & what the flip is the Nation Pool? Like a shortlist  or something?

Edited by Johnny Ace

1 hour ago, ButchertheBaker said:

Your post reminds me of how you see Southgate randomly hanging out at Premier matches  :lol:

I guess there isn't much for the manager to do in between the international breaks but watch matches

I bet he's as bored as me! 

There's no training or anything to mess around with, I just keep hitting Continue 

The nation pool is all the eligible players I think.

If I remember right, it was brought in because before it existed you had to rely on the player search almost exclusively. 

I haven't done International Management for a while though. But yeah, lots of spamming continue (or go on holiday) but when it is time for the competitions, it does become fun. World Cup time in particular, because your tactics get found out vs the tougher teams, since England tends to walk over the qualification fixtures. 

I was a massive fan of international management when I first started playing FM back in 2007. First couple editions I only managed Northern Ireland and then around FM11 I experimented with lower nations. (San Marino, Malta, Estonia) I also managed England on an older FM (can't remember what one) but I only used players who had England caps but hadn't played in real life for years. My strikers were Teddy Sherrington and Robbie Fowler and I lost to Andorra. :lol:

8 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

The nation pool is all the eligible players I think.

If I remember right, it was brought in because before it existed you had to rely on the player search almost exclusively. 

I haven't done International Management for a while though. But yeah, lots of spamming continue (or go on holiday) but when it is time for the competitions, it does become fun. World Cup time in particular, because your tactics get found out vs the tougher teams, since England tends to walk over the qualification fixtures. 

I'm not sure if it's Pep's shortlist, he was the manager before me, I can add & remove players to it but I find player search way more useful 

It is quite chilled though I suppose rather than having the day-to-day stresses, I might give it 4 years & find a club job after the next World Cup  

I just never got into it... the wait between games is boring. You can go on holiday of course, or just mindlessly press continue while doing something else, but that's not ideal. The only way to have fun for me with Int. Management is when I take over a nation just before a big tournament(with the in-game editor). Playing the tournament is not bad, but that has it's own issues. Players not knowing formations, not recovering between games and etc. It's really annoying when you top players are dead after a game and have ~80 condition for the next one. Basically unusable. And you can't do anything with the training to prevent that. 

Managing a club and country at the same time doesn't work for me either. Int. Management in FM needs a rethink for sure, IMO. 

I'd guess it's ther same for Southgate. In real life he will go to lots of matches and watch English talent playing.

I suppose the fun in International management is when it comes to tournaments.

You could try playing the games Gareth would in real life. Go to matches, watch players.

FM I see as concentrating more on the side of club management, and the game is built around that. I do wonder if SI could use one FM to work on International management though. Make it so that International managers need to go to watcyh matches to get the best idea of which players would be the best fit for their squad, for example. In addition maybe they could make more of international breaks by including more interaction with the media and their squad. It's actually been a while since I did International management.

Many, many FMs back I used to run saves with all the home nations. I also tried my hand at runnign saves where I managed 5 different smaller nations with 5 managers. I believe I tried my hand at some African teams. Having more countries to manage gave me more to do to somewhat fill in the gaps.

I remember also doing a save as manager of the Central African Republic. It was a challenge in which I had to take a very small nation and get them up the rankings. Someone might still run that challenge. I never ran with enough players for that save and it got very hard. This was probably back when there were less players in FM.

Edited by anagain

3 hours ago, Impacto said:

Managing a club and country at the same time doesn't work for me either. Int. Management in FM needs a rethink for sure, IMO. 

It's the players with dual nationalities that needs work too, I don't care if the Dulwich Hamlet 'keeper has picked Australia over England, but to be told that & then get asked about it in a interview isn't a thing an international manager should be having to answer  

1 hour ago, anagain said:

You could try playing the games Gareth would in real life. Go to matches, watch players.

I've done that a bunch of times, most of the time the guy I want to see play isn't even on the bench! I went to see a Man U keeper in action then realised he was 3rd choice :lol:

21 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

ETA: & what the flip is the Nation Pool? Like a shortlist  or something?

The nation pool is like a shortlist of players who are eligible for your nation. 

Yes, international management is BORING, unless you have a super fast computer. That's why I only do international while also managing a club.

I love the idea of doing a save that consists of my only managing national teams, but there is so much lacking on that side of this sport in Football Manager, and that really makes me hesitate. Personally, I really don't mind doing nothing between matches, but so much more could be incorporated into the experience during the time when my national team is playing, particularly revolving around training, interacting with players, etc. The game also places way too much as well as misplaced emphasis, in my opinion, on players deciding which country to play for.

I would love for SI to overhaul international management. Maybe for FM 2023? Presumably, that year's game will be released a month or two before the World Cup takes place, so that might be a good time to incorporate an international management overhaul.