Please can someone explain what's going wrong?

I'm really struggling with FM09. I'm determined to succeed but I want to learn how the game works and make up my own tactic rather than just downloading one off here as I think that that will be a much more rewarding way to enjoy the game. Having said that though I really don't know where I'm going wrong or what to do about it. I've tried all the advice given on here but I must be misinterpreting things because they haven't helped at all. If someone could be kind enough to download my tactic, give it a spin and let me know what's wrong with it I'd be forever indebted to you! I've uploaded my tactic with a link below. I think if you have a look at it you'll be able to see what I'm trying to do but somehow it just isn't coming together for me. This is my basic tactic but I also use a couple of variations on this with increased/decreased mentalities and speed of passing, none of which work very well. Thanks in advance.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kbvbkbyziqc

I'm really struggling with FM09. I'm determined to succeed but I want to learn how the game works and make up my own tactic rather than just downloading one off here as I think that that will be a much more rewarding way to enjoy the game. Having said that though I really don't know where I'm going wrong or what to do about it. I've tried all the advice given on here but I must be misinterpreting things because they haven't helped at all. If someone could be kind enough to download my tactic, give it a spin and let me know what's wrong with it I'd be forever indebted to you! I've uploaded my tactic with a link below. I think if you have a look at it you'll be able to see what I'm trying to do but somehow it just isn't coming together for me. This is my basic tactic but I also use a couple of variations on this with increased/decreased mentalities and speed of passing, none of which work very well. Thanks in advance.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kbvbkbyziqc

Hello Connelldo

Many of us are still working this new version out....I'm now starting to do pretty well, the best advice i can give you is something i have learned is player attributes are more inportant then tactics!!

Use the right players in the right postions.

I have taken a look at your tactics and have noticed your defence is to leaker and loose, try this

DR: zonal marking set to tight marking. Mentiltiy 8 creative freedom 10 closing down own half. passing direct. crossing deep

DL: zonal marking set to tight marking Mentiltiy 8 creative freedom 10 closing down own half. passing direct crossing deep

DC: man marking set to loose marking. Mentality 6 creative freedom 0 closing down own area. passing direct

DC: man marking set to loose marking. Mentality 6 creative freedom 0 closing down own area. passing direct

This is a good template for all back four defence. It should tighten your back four up loads and is great for soaking up attacks and counter attacking

I set my my width to wide tempo to fast and passing to direct for counter attacking i use no play makers, can never get them to work unless you have a world class player as i player mainly in the lower leagues i dont use it.

Use this guide to select your players http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60657

DR: zonal marking set to tight marking. Mentiltiy 8 creative freedom 10 closing down own half. passing direct. crossing deep

DL: zonal marking set to tight marking Mentiltiy 8 creative freedom 10 closing down own half. passing direct crossing deep

what do you mean mentality 6? mentality 8? creative freedom 0 & 10?

Thanks DGirth. I changed my defence as you suggested and also took a look at my team, maybe it is a little to adventerous to try and get Morecambe to play with a play maker, three players on free roles all on high creative freedom expecting them to be able to play a slick short counter attacking game a la Arsenal. So... I took your advise and then went even further and stayed up till 3 o'clock last night reading and applying everything from the Tactical Frameworks and Theorems file. Just going to load up FM now and see whether that was a complete waste of time of not!

what do you mean mentality 6? mentality 8? creative freedom 0 & 10?

I count how many mouse clicks it is to set the slider, so for an exemple Mentality 8 is 8 clicks, just under halfway.

Thanks DGirth. I changed my defense as you suggested and also took a look at my team, maybe it is a little to adventurous to try and get Morecambe to play with a play maker, three players on free roles all on high creative freedom expecting them to be able to play a slick short counter attacking game a la Arsenal. So... I took your advise and then went even further and stayed up till 3 o'clock last night reading and applying everything from the Tactical Frameworks and Theorems file. Just going to load up FM now and see whether that was a complete waste of time of not!

I have uploaded my tactic for you to try Connelldo

http://rapidshare.com/files/166582690/4-4-2_Montrose__Montrose__Aug_2010_.tac.html

I play a attacking 4-4-2 with direct passing. the pitches in the lower leagues are pretty bad and mud baths in the winter so pretty football is best left to thoughs who's pitch don't have a 11 foot drop from one goal mouth to a other.

My wingers are set to cut inside, the more bodies into the box the better! if you don't have the wingers with the skills to cut inside just have them set to normal.

For my strike force i use a link man, Basically a fancy target man/meathead. you should try your best to sign the best player you can for this roll, He needs the skills of a AMC with decent heading and jumping. For your striker/poacher he needs pace acceleration composure and finishing.

I has taken my 3 seasons to polish this tactic and to get the right players for each position.

tactics and players go hand in hand, your tactics are the bricks and your players the cement, you need both to build a fortress!

Archived