Bug with players leaving on a Bosman?

Playing as Newcastle, I lost track of goalkeeper Freddie Woodman and suddenly got a message that Chelsea had offered him a contract (Bosman). I clicked the button for "offer contract" and in a desperate attempt to keep him at my club I offered him a higher squad status and 20K per week (way up from his previous deal ...). 

He signed for Chelsea anyway, but when looking at his player profile I noticed he agreed to the exact same terms as I offered. 

Makes me wonder if there's a bug here? Was the player bound for Chelsea anyway, but I could somehow tinker with Chelsea's offer..?

Sorry I no longer have a save prior to this transfer, but perhaps you folks can try the scenario in your dev environment.

Edited by Footix

Yeah, I guess it makes sense for him to choose Chelsea over Newcastle if the offers were identical. I just can't fully believe Chelsea mirrored my offer 100%. Or, as they had offered him a contract first, that I mirrored their offer in a freak coincidence. 

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Footix said:

Yeah, I guess it makes sense for him to choose Chelsea over Newcastle if the offers were identical. I just can't fully believe Chelsea mirrored my offer 100%. Or, as they had offered him a contract first, that I mirrored their offer in a freak coincidence. 

Look at it this way - you've got a job and apply for one at your ideal company. The ideal company are interested in you but your current employer offers you a raise to stay.

Do you:
(1) Turn down the new company because the current company offered you a raise.
(2) Mention to the new company that you've been offered a raise and what the new salary would be.

In the case of this player he chose option 2?;)

17 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

(2) Mention to the new company that you've been offered a raise and what the new salary would be.

In the case of this player he chose option 2?;)

So, behind the scenes, Chelsea likely did a second offer to the player, to equal mine? 

Hah! Didn't know the game was clever enough to do that! Cheers