Tactical Name

Sloak

The new feature in FM21 where journalists will refer to your team as playing ___-ball is something I think is really cool. But I think there’s room for improvement in that many of the big styles in world football aren’t named after coaches, but rather after aspects of the team. Klopp doesn’t play Kloppball, he repopularized the gegenpress, a defining feature in his team. Guardiolas teams were known for their tiki taka, a defining feature of their play. These features can be seen statistically, so the game might be able to pick them up.

My suggestion is naming the team after what your squad excels at statistically and combining it with a word in whatever language your home nation speaks. For example, If I were to have a very strong defense, noted by a low number of goals conceded, in the Serie A, my style may be scudoball (shield) or pareteball (wall). If I was a fast attacking team (noted by high goals scored) in Ligue 1, I could be playing foudreball (lightning). You could give this more depth by going off of Assists, crosses, total passes etc. It would give each save a slightly different feeling as you built up your teams play style.

• 2 months later...