Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Probably a stupid question but this could fix one of my beefs with the UI, how does Lollujo get all these tabs on his tablet?

He's got 6 there, I've got 2 & one of those I have to use for match stats. Is it to do with resolution or something?

If you're running the game in fullscreen on a 1440p monitor or bigger, it has the space to fit 6 of them on there.

13 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

We deliberately avoided using such adjectives so as to not confuse them with the old Tone system, which operated quite differently.

There are some keywords included in the description to help guide you when deciding how to act, such as "spread open arms wide in a disarming manner".

That's a fair point and I understand it completely. Will take some getting used to, but I'll get there.

However, I also hope you see how such tooltips where the true meaning is hidden in some abstract descriptions could be hard to understand for people whose first language isn't English.

...or maybe I'm just bad at socializing. :(

3 hours ago, Brighton123 said:

I want to clarify it with you first as I suspect it may be working as intended but I just don't quite agree with it. 

Here's the whole thread on this. To be clear, I can't see the star rating of the player, I can only see the Role Ability star. But my issue is that the Role Ability star is used in conjunction with general ability, so role ability is effectively a current ability report. I've explained further below. 

My reply -

Scenario - Un-scouted player, attribute masking turned off. 

- FM 20 (Old functionality) - Click into player > view attributes > view suitability circles > cannot view star rating - Attributes and suitability circle give you a sense of the player and his best roles > Scout report needed to provide star rating against the rest of your team 

- FM 21 (New functionality) - Click into player > View attributes > View role ability > Role Ability star rating given that is an instant comparison against your teams players in that position, or all other players in the database in that position? (If it's not comparing to the rest of your team or every other player in the database then what is it comparing to?) This is the point, I think the rating from the un-scouted player is comparing it to my players, and it shouldn't until I have scouted them.

The new Role Ability star is effectively an instant Current Ability scout report for every player loaded to your save, as it needs to look up general ability to show it. This is what I don't agree with.

If I'm right, then I feel that until a player is scouted the Role Ability should be 5* for their best position and work backwards, much in the same way as the suitability circle worked. Once scouted, the role ability can be compared to your team, or all players in the database.

All you had to do was configure what made up the circle to get rid of the times when they showed up as yellow or orange when it shouldn't? I think FM 20 only had 4/5 shades of colour so changing to stars makes sense as you get better granularity, but I think by changing the system some scouting is automatically done for you when it shouldn't be. 

Hope that makes sense......

You can't see role suitability for an unscouted player?

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.31.25.png

21 hours ago, robinthebest said:

does false 9 or DLF actually drop deep this year? i'm tired of lone striker standing between two CBs and my favorite type of striker is Benzema, Firmino type, FM 20 and 19 completely nullify these types of st

How many times do they touch the ball every game?

Is there anyone else who played with a F9 who can give me some feedback?

The match engine is improved, very happy. 

My big gripe is that we now need to look all over the screen for information that was clearly and concisely presented before.  Screens such as press conferences and team talks take more effort to see the information I need, it takes more time when I used to be able to see everything a glance. Now I have to look at each player (across the whole screen) to see the info instead of quickly picking out problems from a list. I will also say this for information presented during a match. The widgets were so much handier. These UI changes have slowed down the flow of the game.

Is the option to zoom the camera with the cog menu in match broken? I can not move that slider.

As for the cog menu, itself, it wasn't available on my match screen at first. It only appeared after I returned home and went back in to the match. If that happens again I'll bug it. Bit short on time atm.

30 minutes ago, anagain said:

Is the option to zoom the camera with the cog menu in match broken? I can not move that slider.

As for the cog menu, itself, it wasn't available on my match screen at first. It only appeared after I returned home and went back in to the match. If that happens again I'll bug it. Bit short on time atm.

I experienced the same thing. Zoom works nicely with the mouse wheel though.
I've bugged the zoom/height but for different reason. It resets after every match for me.

Edited by roykela
Can't grammar no more

Can floodlights automatically fade in matches?

FM21floodlights.png.f8ba8db365d0e9a0378d00ba40d8061f.png

I know they're realisticly at a ground, but a manager's view is not blocked by them at a match.

In follow up, is there ever a chance that we'll have a real manager's viewpoint to chose when in a match? I'd love to be stood at the touchline. I guess that's maybe something for a distant future in FM.

Edited by anagain

My thoughts.

Really loving this first version of the game. The ME is incredible and I'm on the edge of my seat during the game - love it. It actually is starting to look like a game of football . I must be one of the few that like the in game UI, takes a bit of getting used to but then again so does everything in the game.

Thumbs up so far but it's early days. One message to SI towers though: leave the match engie as it is...the rest is just fluff.

There is soemthing wrong with the game. Dominic Solanke just scored for my Bournemouth team.

Some deep diving in to the match engine is needed here! :rolleyes:

Just kidding, I love Dom. Just thought I'd sound like a Bournemouth fan...

EDIT: 25 mins in and he scored a hattrick. Sort it out, SI. :stop:

Edited by anagain

Has anyone worked out how to view the whole stadium yet? In FM20, you could click on 'back to pitch' (or something like that) at half-time and you would get a montage of shots from around the ground. 

You still get the same sequence in FM 21 - only its obscured by the various stats panels.

1 minute ago, Oppiiz said:

Am I blind or can't you analyze your team under the match anymore? I seriously can't find it anywhere. I get the option to do it after the match. Have they removed it, or can't I just see?

I expect they're just trying to impart some realism in to things. Analysis of a match is done in full manner at half time and after the match. I was watching my team the other day and the commentator commented on the data analyst heading off down the tunner a few minutes before half time to prepare.

It makes sense to me. Basic advice is one thing, but all the best analysis should be a half time/full time thing for me.

1 minute ago, anagain said:

I expect they're just trying to impart some realism in to things. Analysis of a match is done in full manner at half time and after the match. I was watching my team the other day and the commentator commented on the data analyst heading off down the tunner a few minutes before half time to prepare.

It makes sense to me. Basic advice is one thing, but all the best analysis should be a half time/full time thing for me.

I totally agree with you there. It was just annoying when I could not find it anywhere. But thanks for the answer :)

The default skin is a disaster. Doesn't look good at all ( I am a graphic designer), and my eyes bleed after 20 minutes. The game is unplayable. I really hope they make the light skin available when they release the full version.

2 minutes ago, Oppiiz said:

I totally agree with you there. It was just annoying when I could not find it anywhere. But thanks for the answer :)

It's going to take some getting used to the new match UI. I feel like I'm playing a completely new game here that I have never,played anything like. Not even messed with the tablet yet.

Can't wait to really dive in this weekend when I have more time.

Just a small thing, but I've never noticed this before, on the fixtures screen because my game is due to start before the top game finishes, it shows a latest score, not just the final score

image.png.feb93f9e541b455bad7f9dce54d60929.png

Nice touch (this may have been in previous versions, but I've never seen it before)

Love the ME and the game as a whole. Kudos all around.

And not to be a contrarian, but I love the new UI for match day (though I get people's complaints with it.)  Super clean and, couple examples not withstanding, there's a lot of accessible information.

I will say though that this is my number 1 request: can we get the camera view that the VAR uses??? I've seen it once when they were reviewing an offside call and it's literally perfect; a straight top down like the 2D classic but it's the 3D engine so you get the surrounding stadium and fans as well. I couldn't get a screen grab of it but man does it look good.

• SI Staff
22 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

That's a fair point and I understand it completely. Will take some getting used to, but I'll get there.

However, I also hope you see how such tooltips where the true meaning is hidden in some abstract descriptions could be hard to understand for people whose first language isn't English.

...or maybe I'm just bad at socializing. :(

We do localise these for each language that the game supports. That certainly doesn't mean they'll be perfect - and please do post imperfect examples for us in the bugs area - but it should help :)

I'm just getting to see the new match engine for the first time.

I love it.

Some of the central play is a joy to watch. I just saw a lovely little interchange move between 3 of my players that set my IF free to score.

What really made me happy though was seeing David Brooks chasing a ball towards the touchline. In FM20 he would have just carried on at full pace, stopped and then waited for the FB to get back in place. In FM21 he slowed down, let players catch up and put a lovely ball in.

Great work, SI!! :applause:

I will have more to say about things later. Probably at the weekend when i have more time.

I've just laboured to a draw in a pre-season friendly against non-league Billericay Town. Using no expressions, I told the players I was unhappy with the performance. Now, I've received a message in my in-box telling me that 'the squad are not happy with my management of the team' and they wish to talk to me about it.

Isn't pre-season a bit early for this type of thing? 

5 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Out of curiosity Jordan, how did you extract and upload these vids? Would love to do the same but the record button in game is greyed out and when trying to connect to youtube I just get a black screen.

Gyazo, I pay for their Pro service, thought you can have limited numbers of videos with a free account.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, anagain said:

I feel like I have nothing to offer but grumbles here, and I apologise for that, but...

When I am on a window that scrolls (such as a loan offer news window) can it in any way be made to stay to where I have scrolled when I input an option?

FMscrolling.png.0e674524067c4194bfadcc9d5ef24562.png

Take the above window. I have scrolled down to the Notts County offer, I click the green tick and then click 'yes' on the next pop up window. Hey presto I am back at the first offer in the list and have to scroll down to Northampton again.

I am aware that we can choose to accept all. I like to view all the offers.

I admit I'm not a coder. Is it not possible to code for the window to stay where it is scrolled to?

It's a bug, so please raise it on the bugs forum - albeit I'm pretty sure it's already know. 

I want to congratulate SI on the very good Match Engine. I think this is the best one for Beta release. 

I'm only unhappy with the match day widgets. Not very useful and informative. A lot of wasted space. The dugout widget needs to be made customizable or removable. I miss the formation widget available while playing 2D. The other widgets need to be made more customizable and movable. 

I'm sure someone on the skinning forum will create something to improve that. 

I also think we should be able to adjust the speed of the replays. 

Amazing ME. finally they dont keep missing 1on1s.

Anyone knows why won't the window that shows the player attributes disappear when I go to the next player below (for example when scouting a list of players)? 

Edited by bemate98

@MT55@Neil Brock

hey guys. I undestand not having analysis during match but why has been removed in team tab next to opp instructions?

Also where is the shot accuracy analysis (the one that has the goal net graphics and ball accuracy?)

I wish there was a way of chossing text or emojis for player  for body language in settings .

19 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I've just laboured to a draw in a pre-season friendly against non-league Billericay Town. Using no expressions, I told the players I was unhappy with the performance. Now, I've received a message in my in-box telling me that 'the squad are not happy with my management of the team' and they wish to talk to me about it.

Isn't pre-season a bit early for this type of thing? 

I would say that needs bugging with a save. Sounds like something needs fixed ASAP. 

Really enjoying the game.. just a weird thing keeps happening..I set up a diamond tactic and a 4321 tactic.. after realising I wanted the second one to be my primary I made it so..yet when I went to pick for first game of the season it was back to the diamond..so I chose the right formation and played the match.. once the match was over I went to tactics looking ahead to my next match and not only was it back to the diamond the players had been cleared out too..is it a new thing you have to repick the whole team for every match or am I missing something obvious or thirdly is this a bug.. anyone else get this? 

2 hours ago, anagain said:

I feel like I have nothing to offer but grumbles here, and I apologise for that, but...

When I am on a window that scrolls (such as a loan offer news window) can it in any way be made to stay to where I have scrolled when I input an option?

Take the above window. I have scrolled down to the Notts County offer, I click the green tick and then click 'yes' on the next pop up window. Hey presto I am back at the first offer in the list and have to scroll down to Northampton again.

I am aware that we can choose to accept all. I like to view all the offers.

I admit I'm not a coder. Is it not possible to code for the window to stay where it is scrolled to?

That's almost certainly a bug, reporting it in the User Interface bug subforum is probably the best place for it.

1 hour ago, GOODNAME said:

Please fix the orange/brown colors in the crowd

Report it in the Match Engine - Art, Animations, Facegen and Manager Man subforum.

1 hour ago, M16h_11 said:

Still a problem with Nvida? My match engine is really laggy/jumpy

Did you update to the latest drivers? They're an unstable nightmare that introduced issues with a lot of games, roll back to the previous drivers.

42 minutes ago, Oppiiz said:

Am I blind or can't you analyze your team under the match anymore? I seriously can't find it anywhere. I get the option to do it after the match. Have they removed it, or can't I just see?

You can at half-time and at full time.

34 minutes ago, MariusA said:

The default skin is a disaster. Doesn't look good at all ( I am a graphic designer), and my eyes bleed after 20 minutes. The game is unplayable. I really hope they make the light skin available when they release the full version.

Default skin finally looks great to me, a lot less white. Just because you're designer doesn't make it bad, colours are a matter of personal taste. They normally provide other skins, like the blinding light one, with the full release. Otherwise, there'll almost certainly be user-made skins out ASAP.

13 minutes ago, MT55 said:

Thank you! I'm glad you think that. The ME is something we have worked very hard and it's nice to get recognition for it.

I've only watched my first team vs U23s match so far, and I was getting ready for work too, but what I did catch well I loved.

The movement, the new animations, the intelligence of the players. It is all so fluid and lovely to watch. I'm looking forward to being able to sit down and really enjoy a match, without having to do other things in the background, or have to rush to get to work. 

You really have all excelled yourselves this year. Despite covid you have all created what looks like being the best match engine yet. 

That didn't across as too much developer resembling Stockholm Syndrome, did it?

3 hours ago, XaW said:

You're welcome. The functionality was there in FM20 (possibly earlier!) as well! ;) 

Sorry to bother you - but after searching almost everywhere on preference, I cannot seem to find the "custom skin colour" Could you possibly explain the process where it is hiding in the preference? 

Surely if SI want this to go full on realism mode and not have access to analysis until half or full time, or to have access to a timeline etc etc, then they need to disable the ability to pause the game and force everyone to watch the full 90mins? 

I know I'm coming across a bit snarky on this, and I get the desire for realism, but remember it's also a game. 

It's such a shame, because the match engine itself is the best it's been in a long while, and I'm someone who really enjoyed the FM20 engine. 

2 minutes ago, SazoJohnno said:

Sorry to bother you - but after searching almost everywhere on preference, I cannot seem to find the "custom skin colour" Could you possibly explain the process where it is hiding in the preference? 

I think this was to change the ball colour? If so, FM > Preferences > Advanced (option near the top) > Custom skin colour (about 5 options down, click on skin colour tab on the right) > the bottom two are the ball colour options

1 minute ago, Mikal said:

I think this was to change the ball colour? If so, FM > Preferences > Advanced (option near the top) > Custom skin colour (about 5 options down, click on skin colour tab on the right) > the bottom two are the ball colour options

Or you can just type 'skin colour' into the search bar at the top of the preferences screen.