Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

5 minutes ago, anagain said:

With a all due respect, Dave, I find we tend to agree on a good few things, but on this one I feel there are differences.

I don't believe being able to shorten the speed of the match, or number of highlights, is equal to whether analysis is available throughout the match. 

To be honest, I rarely used much analysis in past FMs, not during the match anyway, so I can see where I am different. I do however like the direction SI are taking the game. With this and the changes to scouting and player recruitment I feel that SI are attempting to even the playing field between players and AI.

It is also very true to how I see real life football. As I said to someone else above, I was watching my team last weekend and the commentator mentioned the analyst heading down the tunnel early to provide a first half report.

It is something that will feel better with time. 

Totally understand what you're saying, but I'm finding it more difficult to tell where things are going wrong. The way I always pictured it was the various widgets or analysis were my coaches and assistants in the dugout feeding me info. Unless the actual assistant manager help via this new dugout is improved, then losing that info - or at least losing the ease of access to it - is a backward step. Time will tell I suppose and I may start seeing the benefits longer term. 

Maybe I just don't like change. I'm old. :lol:

EDIT - I can't begin to imagine how frustrating this must be for the people who watch games on the commentary only option. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Totally understand what you're saying, but I'm finding it more difficult to tell where things are going wrong. The way I always pictured it was the various widgets or analysis were my coaches and assistants in the dugout feeding me info. Unless the actual assistant manager help via this new dugout is improved, then losing that info - or at least losing the ease of access to it - is a backward step. Time will tell I suppose and I may start seeing the benefits longer term. 

I know how you feel about the getting old lark. 

It's the new fangled modern way. Managers, I suspect, have advanced tactical training now, and coaches that are even better. I feel maybe the analysis we get from our assman just needs to keep up with the advances in ideas and ME improvements.

Its a learning game. Good luck. 

Just now, turgi said:

Is there a reason for it?

You can see match stats at any time, either by clicking on the little icon at the very top left of the screen, or customising one of the tablet screens, but for actual analysis, it's half and full time only - The concept is real life managers wouldn't have access to this until their analysts have had time to digest and present it. 

Although curiously, if you bring up your tactic screen at any point during the game and click analysis on the pitch view, you see heat maps for you and the opposition. I'm not sure whether this is game specific or in general? 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You can see match stats at any time, either by clicking on the little icon at the very top left of the screen, or customising one of the tablet screens, but for actual analysis, it's half and full time only - The concept is real life managers wouldn't have access to this until their analysts have had time to digest and present it. 

Although curiously, if you bring up your tactic screen at any point during the game and click analysis on the pitch view, you see heat maps for you and the opposition. I'm not sure whether this is game specific or in general? 

Make sense, but I can't find it at half time either.

image.png.e35417f10b78cc0698535731f20b4cd0.png

18 minutes ago, Mikal said:

I think this was to change the ball colour? If so, FM > Preferences > Advanced (option near the top) > Custom skin colour (about 5 options down, click on skin colour tab on the right) > the bottom two are the ball colour options

Interestingly, I cannot find that option on my screen. What Dagenham_Dave said below is what I can do instead. Is this potentially a bug? 

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Or you can just type 'skin colour' into the search bar at the top of the preferences screen. 

Could you confirm whether if this is a bug or not? @Neil Brock

3 minutes ago, turgi said:

yeas strange they have removed this feature tbh. For alot of people its game breaking. I couln't play withut glancing at analysis. not sure how i'll cope now.

7 minutes ago, turgi said:

It's not there. As soon as the half ends, before you go into the dressing room, you get all the analysis there. Annoying there's also not access to it on your screen above as before, but it is what it is. 

18 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

I think the reporter who made Bayern München team hates them

How Neuer 14 reflexes and 15 one on one?

How Gbabry and Coaman (15 dribbling? come on)  still have the same attributers ? 

Just noticed De Bruyne, still basically has the same attributes as last season as well. Surely he should have been upgraded? His Strength, Passing, finishing, composure & dribbling stand out as being too low.

Edited by toon army 06

5 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

Just noticed De Bruyne, still basically has the same attributes as last season as well. Surely he should have been upgraded? His Strength, Passing, finishing, composure & dribbling stand out as being too low.

Yeah the attributes of players are a mess in lots of areas to be honest. No idea what the hell the data guys are doing. 

I really like this screen at the end of the game.

bbd0ba77c0bc63f0fe600fd278012cac.png

What i don't understand is that sometimes i get the formation of both teams in newspaper style , before the game starts. But i also saw the formations of both teams with images like last season, and u could click on the players. The newspaper formations aren't clickable :( 

• SI Staff
14 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

If I recall, KDB is the 3rd highest rated player in the entire game. Doesn't mean you're not right, but worth considering. Please post any data issues, crucially with solid evidence, here - 

3 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

If I recall, KDB is the 3rd highest rated player in the entire game. Doesn't mean you're not right, but worth considering. Please post any data issues, crucially with solid evidence, here - 

I'm fine with his rating vs others in the game, then if that's true. Just a few attributes like Passing at 17 it should probably be 19, composure at least 18. Just something that stuck out when I viewed him, I'm not trying criticise btw because the guys have done a great job on the game.

11 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

What i don't understand is that sometimes i get the formation of both teams in newspaper style , before the game starts. But i also saw the formations of both teams with images like last season, and u could click on the players. The newspaper formations aren't clickable :( 

Apparently if it's a big, televised game, (or you watch on comprehensive or full match) you get the line ups as well. Kinda annoying if you're playing an LLM save and don't have the time to watch full highlights, but I'm sure there's a good reason somewhere for that decision...

41 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

I think the reporter who made Bayern München team hates them

How Neuer 14 reflexes and 15 one on one?

How Gbabry and Coaman (15 dribbling? come on)  still have the same attributers ? 

24 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

German researchers already stated that a bunch of changes they've made didn't make it into the beta database, including various changes to the Bayern squad. So good chance that happened in other nations as well.

Will be curious to see what the Bayern squad looks like with those changes, although I bet they'll still be underrated compared to various much worse performing counterparts in other leagues.

Edited by Freakiie

Started three different saves since last night, got as far as a couple of games in, turned it off. This is the first time since FM12 I've not been able to get into a game at launch. I'm gonna wait for the modders and skinners to get to work on this before I dive in again. Shame, as there IS a lot to love about the new game, and SI have done an incredible job with it. The matchday experience just isn't there for me as it stands this year. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Apparently if it's a big, televised game, (or you watch on comprehensive or full match) you get the line ups as well. Kinda annoying if you're playing an LLM save and don't have the time to watch full highlights, but I'm sure there's a good reason somewhere for that decision...

I really loved the option to click on a player from the opposition . Seeing an old legend or player pop up after 9 years into your save.. that's something u want to see before u start the game.

Another bad VAR offside call, will upload pkm to the bug forum tomorrow.

Ball went directly to De Vrij from the corner, header went straight over the keeper to the opposite top corner. Offside because #10 Martinez, even though he wasn't even close to the play.

Something seems to be wrong with the game determining if a player who's offside is in active play.

ISWV0wc.jpg

Just now, OlivierL said:

I really loved the option to click on a player from the opposition . Seeing an old legend or player pop up after 9 years into your save.. that's something u want to see before u start the game.

Totally agree. From what I've read the thinking behind it is that in real life, you wouldn't know the formations before the game starts. Fine if that's the case, but then allow us to click on the names on the teamsheet or at least give us the 'hover' info from the past games. 

The ME is really really solid. Finally seen a chipped goal, fullbacks diving into tackles and some really clever passages of passing that could never have happened in 20.

Averaging over a penalty power match though.

I'm not sure I fully understand the the new star system either. Is it the players ability to play the role in general or in comparison to my squad. Ie if it's the latter they could still have a decent star rating but be crap for the role. 

3 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Is that not the whole point of an attacking striker? Otherwise, how would I instruct my striker to stay up and wait for counters, if he dropped deep even on Attack duty?

If you want a striker to drop back, I think a PF-Su/De with Lower Line Of Engagement does that just fine.

The point is the AI don't use it properly so they often end up with two strikers sitting on the halfway line the whole game doing no defensive work. That doesn't happen in real life

So how's the ME feeling? I've seen a lot of people saying it's been improved, are guys enjoying it so far? Are there a variety of goals, through passes, etc? How about the AI, any noticable improvements there? 

I like the BETA so far,

I am really enjoying the state of the 3D match engine, I like the new UI during the matches but I still feel the need to go to make substitutes to the tactics page... I really need a visual overview of the entire formation before I make any change. The idea of having hearts (condition) instead of percentages is more immersive, the percentages was like watching robots wearing batteries to me. Now it looks more immersive.

The UI colors still need changes, I mostly use dark themes, while in this new beta edition most it's dark... with some news sometimes a wild white background appears to the right. It's really aggressive. 

I also enjoy this:

Assistant Manager is finally assisting. 

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Totally agree. From what I've read the thinking behind it is that in real life, you wouldn't know the formations before the game starts. Fine if that's the case, but then allow us to click on the names on the teamsheet or at least give us the 'hover' info from the past games. 

That would be ok for me. no more formation but checking the players on the new player sheet  .

I agree that in real life you wouldn't know the formation from a team in non league , right before kickoff. u depend from what your scouts (if u have them at that level) saw.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

EDIT - I can't begin to imagine how frustrating this must be for the people who watch games on the commentary only option. 

Nah fella I'm with you here. I've only played friendlies and a Carabao cup game with my Sheff wed save, but it was a weird feeling not being able to just have all the info available.

I understand the logic behind it and it is sound, but my first few games on this beta felt like I was more of a spectator than a coach. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time and that feeling will go away, but my early thoughts were that any changes I made would just be me going in blind as opposed to using information I could place on the screen. 

It's an adaption process, but with how fantastic the rest of the game is looking it's one I'm willing to go through.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Oh and can any of the devs who are kicking around on here confirm if the removal of the reverse cam in the 3D view was an oversight or by design? 

I have asked this question both here and in the bugs forum, but no answer.  In fact it looks like it has been removed from the bugs forum which would suggest it was deliberate, but no answer as to why

53 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Kev has missed 2 pens for me already this season and spends a lot of time injured. 

10/10 realism, would buy again.

On a serious note, I'm seeing a greater prevalence of goals where the goalkeeper or defender tries to clear the ball and it hits and attacker and rebounds in.  I have a match saved where the Ajax keeper kicked it out of his hands right at Aguero and it deflected in.  It's happened three times in about 20 games or so.  Worth a bug report or is that pretty much average?

All I can really ask for is some bug fixes. Please dont touch the ME too mich, it is so so good right now. Central play, finally, is wonderful

DLFs and Shadow Strikers work so well in unison. Considering the year that has happened so far, just wanna say a huge thanks to all the guys and gals at SI. You've outdone yourselves with this version. Genuinely excited to play it and when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about it.

I had a genuine dislike of FM21's ME so to see this leap is great.

My work productivity is through the floor but who cares :D

My feedback on the Match Screen

Image below. Playing at 1920x1080.

Match stats + notable events section is ok. but i would like to cutomize which match stats show up.

Dugout section, the only info i liked in this was the minor injury notifications.......and thats only because they dont show at all on any other section!  Would rather replace this tbh.

Injuries (orange icons) need to show up on the Liverpool (your team) stats section like they did in previous versions!

Visualiser section....meh. I would rather be able to resize this.

Infact all section should be able to be resized, top to bottom, and dragged left to right to show more info, like the previous versions team stats section, wher you could lengthen it to show body language.

Opponents formation section, i like the amount of info, name, role, rating, condition, body language, its replaced having the opponents stats on screen for me.....but it also looks unfinished? Maybe it the lack of box around the name? unsure. 

Liverpool (your team) Stats section. Needs to show minor (orange) injuries! Also would love to have body language on here too, so all relevant info is in one place. Like previous version did.

The bottom part i barely use tbh. The layout of the Liverpool (your stats) Stats section is far better (apart from lack of body language)  than the bottom section for me. I think a top to bottom list has better readability than side to side as it as at the bottom of the screen.

I would rather have the Mentality, Instructions and Shouts up at the top of the screen and remove all the players at the bottom. Maybe i'll become used to it, but so far i havent. I could hide it, but then it also hides the mentality and shouts UI.

20201111230511_1.thumb.jpg.fb4e920910de6eb6093d9e988007b5dd.jpg

For reference, below is how i had FM20 match screen.

Not perfect, but i had most of the Info i wanted, though again, i wished i could have more match stats shown.

Also all the options at the top of the screen, nice and easy to see and select.

20201111232229_1.thumb.jpg.67e37324f62ceba95be29583ab2c5e10.jpg

Team Talks:

I understand why this has changed due to the many new gestures added, though im not a fan of having the players split all over the screen. I think if all players on the pitch where in the list on the left, and all subs on right, with none along the top would have looked better imo.

Without them at the top, they could be nudged up and  11 players would fit very nicely, at least at 1920x1080.

20201111231037_1.thumb.jpg.2c12bb80d195d05a8a25e5ee1751eaac.jpg

Thats all for now.

I hope things change, but im old and cynical, so i dont think they will. Technically it is a beta, but ive been in enough Beta's to know that things this close to release in a "beta" never sees big changes tbh.

After all that, i will say that the Match Engine seems fantastic from what i've played so far. So kudos to you for that.

Edited by Siven

Like the game a lot.

Struggling a bit with the matchday menus though. Info and data keeps popping up everywhere, shouts seemed a bit hidden away. i dont like the layout of the dressing room too much even though its more "real".

Seen some really nice stuff in the match engine. Nice through balls, interceptions, more realistic finishing. I like it.

Im gonna get relegated.

Does anyone else think the game is slower as I have been playing literally all day and I usually would have a season done and yet I am only in January on FM2021.

I don't have many leagues loaded or a big player database and have a good gaming laptop but yet it just seems to take forever to get a season done.

My mate said the same so it aint just me but just wondering if anyone else in here feels the same.

So, halfway through my first season my Bayern board throws extra transfer budget at me, as expected considering my 355m balance.

Decided to add managers to check the other big names. Barcelona and Real Madrid made their entire balance available as transfer budgets (Astonishing 27 mil for Barcelona). They seem to have forgotten about Corona surprisingly fast, just allowing you to use their entire remaining balance.

Chelsea also has 83 mil available, somewhat astonishing considering their activity in the summer so far, but again basically their entire balance. Liverpool has nearly 100m, which considering the rather limited transfer budget they have in real life and already spending ~70m in the summer seems far more than Liverpool generally would be willing to spend, but at least it's not their entire balance. City? Yeah City is City, casual 100 million after already having a net spend of more than 100 million in the summer. Sheikh funding and FFP dodging gets you quite far!

United also has 100m budget, which considering they were in the market for Sancho the entire summer and having the third highest balance isn't really that surprising. For FM standards it's even somewhat on the low side. Finally? PSG! 366 mil balance beating everyone, 131m transfer budget, while in real life they're hesitating to spend at all due to FFP restrictions.

Oh and then Italy. Juventus is broke (6 mil balance), but still willing to offer you a measly 25m transfer budget. Inter, 52 mil budget, compared to 32 mil balance. Almost forgot about Italy, but yeah they're broke. And more than willing to... go more broke? That's a thing now.

Perhaps the finances could use a tad further toning down? Especially for clubs that halfway through the first season just decide to use up their balance? I can understand the richer clubs, in a FM environment where life is normal again will make some extra transfer budget available, but clubs just letting you use whatever little is left in their balance? Seems a bit overeager to me.

6 hours ago, yonko said:

I want to congratulate SI on the very good Match Engine. I think this is the best one for Beta release. 

I'm only unhappy with the match day widgets. Not very useful and informative. A lot of wasted space. The dugout widget needs to be made customizable or removable. I miss the formation widget available while playing 2D. The other widgets need to be made more customizable and movable. 

I'm sure someone on the skinning forum will create something to improve that. 

I also think we should be able to adjust the speed of the replays. 

Yeah.... This will take a LOT of getting used to.  For the past....5?  6?  seasons, since they introduced the match widgets you could put on the screen, I've been able to enjoy playing out my full matches with a full pitch and widgets I want around the edges.  That way I can see both information I want and the full pitch (my usual on-screen widgets were the match stats, Live League Table (A MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Latest scores, match day info (weather), Radar, maybe focus of attacks (then the team info would be tucked into the side/bottom tabs for each team -- player ratings, morale, body language, formations). 

I can see the tablet analysis as something managers might use in todays game --- but, it TAKES UP HALF THE SCREEN!  I'm sure that RL managers can see the full pitch and still look at stats on a tablet, but we can't!  I've got to pop up the tablet to look for whatever data I want, then pop it down -- it isn't even moveable (or resizeable) on the screen, so I can't choose which section of the pitch to look at.  Ideally (if we're not going to have on-screen widgets as in the past), the tablet can be popped out so I can put it on a second screen -- able to view all stats while still viewing the full match pitch.

There is also a bunch of missing info -- again LIVE LEAGUE TABLE is a must have!!!.  Other missing items are the radar (granted, less useful on a tablet view maybe), Match-day info, a focus-of-attach widget that is adjustable by increments (miss the last-5-minute snapshot of both that and possession, key for seeing swings in momentum sometimes).  Also not to be found is the match report (text that I could go back and refer to when something happened in game I didn't understand graphically -- bad tackles, PK award reason, etc.).  Weather --- if you miss it in pre-game it's not visible anywhere.  Small, but attendance --- can't find it at all (can see it in schedule section --- but I had 813..... was that 800 home fans?  100?  Kind of important, and that appears to be only place to see attendance!

Might be a widget or two I'm missing, I have to run up a match again in 20 and see....but those are the important ones.

OH!  Assistant advice in match --- if you're doing highlights (of any type), the dugout is there and has that info.  In match, it's missed (by me at least) quite a bit, as it pops up and disappears in the bottom left of screen.  Can't go into tactics/analysis menu as you could in 20 and find an assistant advice section --- that's desperately needed for us players who watch full matches instead of highlights!

Getting used to not having the timebar --- but something on that bar that is missing is.....who's been booked???  There's been a booking (match stats shows that), but..... not seeing it on the team's stat pages, nor anywhere else!  If it's an opponent, might change the way I treat him....if it's my player, I might want to consider subbing him..... but, where do I find out WHO it is?? (or who THEY are??? :D )  (this is another thing you can see in "notable events" IF you're using highlights, but us players that play full matches don't have access to).

edit:  scratch that, little button next to the clock/scoreboard in top right opens a panel which shows the notable events as well as abbreviated match stats.  seems to close after stoppages of play (goals, at least).

On a positive note, I do like the lineup/sub section at bottom of match screen that shows morale/condition/rating and is a good place to make quick subs easily (and change ind. tactic/roles etc.).

Understand this is beta, and the whole touchline tablet is new, but please, give me more options for it!  I feel like I'm missing half the match whenever I have it opened --- and I'm one of those that view the entire match of every game --- so that's a lot of missing football!!!!!!

edit:

Just realized, Live league table might actually be there --- I'm still in preseason, so I could just be missing that because there is no table yet :D (and confirmed on my first league match it is!)

Also --- give us a hotkey for the ipad (requested by one of my twitch viewers!!!)

Edited by G_D_K