FM21 - Another Aston Villa recreation

Hey all,

Happy new (FM) year. 

Every year I start off my game trying to recreate Aston Villa in real life. The only difference this year is we are actually pretty good, I mean 7-2 against the champions and then that performance against Arsenal *chef's kiss *

What I'm seeing

Typically Deano has lined Villa up in a 433 formation, but this year, particularly against the big boys, it seems to be a 4411 / 442 hybrid with ross Barkley playing the most advanced role. In attack we're pretty direct (though not overtly), quite fast and we use the wings well.

In defence we drop into our compact banks of four but still press pretty well. 

My recreation 

This will be an ongoing project but below is my initial effort at setting us up. 

655655436_ScreenShot2020-11-10at1_14_15PM.png.d40e24238624d31d1886b5053a8e5b5e.png

Questions 

I have a few questions as I get to work with this, and would love you to weigh in. If not It's really just me laying out what I am going to try and recreate.

Grealish - IW would to me seem to be the most apt role for him, but I'm not sure whether to go attack or support. 

Barkley - AM support seems smart but we often look like a standard 442, perhaps he should be an F9

watkins - This one is really tricky. His play seems to be AF or CF, possibly even PF

Tactical style - I've kept things deliberately vanilla at first. Width because we seem to stretch the pitch horizontally, and focus down elft because we attack a lot through Jack. I'm toying with upping the tempo and maybe even changing to cautious mentality as we do seem to be quite defence first at the moment. 

Maybe I am wrong, but the 4411 does not seem to be the right choice of formation in terms of replicating Villa. 

I also think that LB (usually Targett) is more attack-minded than Cash. But again, I might be wrong. 

48 minutes ago, beverage1982 said:

watkins - This one is really tricky. His play seems to be AF or CF, possibly even PF

To me personally, his style mostly resembles a DLF (probably on attack duty).

24 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Maybe I am wrong, but the 4411 does not seem to be the right choice of formation in terms of replicating Villa. 

I also think that LB (usually Targett) is more attack-minded than Cash. But again, I might be wrong. 

To me personally, his style mostly resembles a DLF (probably on attack duty).

The only reason I went for 4411 is that looks like our shape defensively right now, it is really a 4231 in attack though. What were your thoughts?

Oh interesting shout re: Watkins, I'll give it a go, I was leaning towards AF / CF because of his tendency to drift wide but I suppose DLF also does that. 

A couple of Whoscored shots below, which seem to back up the eye test. 

321071775_ScreenShot2020-11-10at2_36_04PM.png.9be7ebecc5e79430c88d72c8344510eb.png1690052644_ScreenShot2020-11-10at2_36_19PM.png.b7626fc06217dd64f9e7955fdd43fe9d.png

The Strengths / Weaknesses would possibly suggest a Control mentality, with Direct passing? 

Roles - You're right on Cash / Targett. I'll revert to FB (s) and WB (s) respectively. Further forwards your Watkins shout looks right. With perhaps Jack as IW (A) and Barkley AM (A)? 

Edited by beverage1982

spacer.png

That's my Second thoughts about trying to get Villa's shape into FM21; my First was a 4-3-2-1 Asymetric (Move Grealish into the AM Strata in that team) But I'm going to work under the assumption that this team is FAR too heavy on the Attack Duties

PI's in that team are Grealish, Trez, Watkins and Barkley have 1 Extra Notch on their Pressing Intensity and McGinn has "Hold Position" 

I'd love to figure out how to get Watkins and Barkley cut the passing lanes between the CB's and DM like they did against Liverpool, I'm assuming that's got to do with the Line of Engagement but that's for a time when I've got a chance to properly play around

14 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

The only reason I went for 4411 is that looks like our shape defensively right now, it is really a 4231 in attack though. What were your thoughts?

Yeah, it looks like either 4231 or 433 (wide) to me. Douglas definitely plays the most defensive midfield role, whereas Barkley is the most attack-minded MF, regardless of the formation you ultimately opt for. 

As for the 4411 shape in defense (out of possession), it can be easily achieved in a 4231 system. 

Oh interesting shout re: Watkins, I'll give it a go, I was leaning towards AF / CF because of his tendency to drift wide but I suppose DLF also does that

CF rather than AF (considering how he plays). CF, AF and DLF can all drift wider on occasion, depending on the situation on the pitch at a given point, especially if told to roam from position (CF already has the PI hard-coded though). 

The Strengths / Weaknesses would possibly suggest a Control mentality, with Direct passing?

Or maybe shorter passing + higher tempo + be more expressive + counter TI in transition. 

Anyway, I love how they play this season :brock: :thup: 

With perhaps Jack as IW (A) and Barkley AM (A)? 

Barkley looks more like SS to me (if you go with a formation involving an AMC position). Jack's role would depend on the formation, but I personally would go with support duty (rather than attack) for him. 

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yeah, it looks like either 4231 or 433 (wide) to me. Douglas definitely plays the most defensive midfield role, whereas Barkley is the most attack-minded MF, regardless of the formation you ultimately opt for. 

As for the 4411 shape in defense (out of possession), it can be easily achieved in a 4231 system. 

CF rather than AF (considering how he plays). CF, AF and DLF can all drift wider on occasion, depending on the situation on the pitch at a given point, especially if told to roam from position (CF already has the PI hard-coded though). 

Or maybe shorter passing + higher tempo + be more expressive + counter TI in transition. 

Anyway, I love how they play this season :brock: :thup: 

Barkley looks more like SS to me (if you go with a formation involving an AMC position). Jack's role would depend on the formation, but I personally would go with support duty (rather than attack) for him. 

Thanks some food for thought. Never used a SS before so that could be fun.

Re getting a 4231 to defend like a 4411 is it just a case of support duties wide and lower LOE?

1 hour ago, beverage1982 said:

Re getting a 4231 to defend like a 4411 is it just a case of support duties wide and lower LOE?

Yes, support duties in AML and AMR positions. 

LOE does not necessarily have to be lower (with reference to the 4411 defensive shape), although for a Villa recreation the lower LOE would make most sense anyway IMHO. 

6 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, support duties in AML and AMR positions. 

LOE does not necessarily have to be lower (with reference to the 4411 defensive shape), although for a Villa recreation the lower LOE would make most sense anyway IMHO. 

Thanks I'll try it out. I'm still unsure about Jack on support. It makes a lot of sense on paper. But heat maps and scout reports often has him as our Most advanced player, and I think the only player with more touches than him in opposition box this year is Salah.

I'll tinker though.

Mentality is a tough one for me this year as we can be quite slow sometimes but at others lightning fast.

1 minute ago, beverage1982 said:

Mentality is a tough one for me this year as we can be quite slow sometimes but at others lightning fast

That's exactly the reason why replicating real-life teams and tactics is always problematic. Because RL managers tweak their tactics from situation to situation. So rather than trying to make a "perfect" FM replication, you should look to replicate their "average" tactic. 

12 minutes ago, Cloista said:

While you're aiming at replicating Villa this season, that's starting to look a lot like Arsenal's Invincibles system.

That's actually a really interesting observation. Grealish as Bobby Pires, Watkins as a poor man's Henry etc - all comparisons i can buy into :) 

Barkley in 'the Bergkamp role', which considering Bergkamp was a lot more physical than he was given credit for, and was a forward coming from deep, and Barkley has enough similar attributes to fill the needs of the role too (eye for a pass, hard to dispossess, shoots from distance), yeah it's definitely a system that can work out. I'd be interested in what shifting McGinn to the left and giving him a Roaming Playmaker role would do for the system (with Costa given even more defensive instructions to compensate).

Edited by Cloista

A quick update, these are the two shapes I'm playing with at the moment (ignore the players it was a cup game). 

157046945_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_46_06AM.png.e6466856b9d5d5b91ceee3f88de5cd99.png1171242106_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_46_30AM.png.8a4f9ebee2188c6648af091bc605b64b.png

I think I'm going to stick to the 4411 as the 4231 is too open in defence and I just haven't been able to create those banks of four. It also doesn't enable me to replicate Trezeguet's role. For me he is a WM or a defensive winger, and there's just not an option for that in AMR.

Out of possession -  In terms of pressing, against Arsenal and Liverpool Villa actually pressed pretty high at times so I'm thinking a split block with prevent goalkeeper distribution (I've never used this instruction before). 

In possession - Villa play direct, we play a lot of through balls, and we dribble more than just about any team in the league, hence what I have here. 

Mentality - Control feels right. I'm traditionally a cautious player but whilst we are defensively cautious (Low/ mid block, two banks of 4 etc) when we have the ball we are full of verve and running. That to me says higher end mentality where the risk appetite is higher and there's more forward passing. 

Now I just need to decide which is better. I get great returns out of Jack as IW (A), which I feel in real life represents where he plays, but I also really see the argument for him to be on support due to his ball carrying prowess and also to create a better balanced tactic. This article from talksport offers some interesting pointers particularly the below. 

On the right of the attack the Egyptian international Trezeguet plays in a more sacrificial role with his defensive output standing out.

Grealish, however, is far more offensive from the left-hand side and he often stays in high positions and does not track back defensively.

Rather than this being the mark, however, of a lazy attacking player it is a deliberate strategy to ensure that he is always in position to receive the ball in the transition phase from defence to attack.

That would seem to back up the heatmap from above where he is clearly in advance of both Trez and indeed Watkins. 

ANyway this is just me thinking out loud but any pointers as always greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

157046945_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_46_06AM.png.e6466856b9d5d5b91ceee3f88de5cd99.png

I like this shape and role/duty distribution but I don't think Martinez is a Sweeper Keeper.

Also unless your trying to accomplish some kind of overload on the left, I'd considering swapping the two central midfield roles around, because:

a) Grealish and Hourihane may get in each others way

b) Douglas Luiz can cover for the adventurous Targett

c) Hourihane will be closer to Trezeguet and will help Trezeguet not get so isolated.

Just my two cents

Edited by Luizinho

3 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

I like this shape and role/duty distribution but I don't think Martinez is a Sweeper Keeper.

Also unless your trying to accomplish some kind of overload on the left, I'd considering swapping the two central midfield roles around, because:

a) Grealish and Hourihane may get in each others way

b) Douglas Luiz can cover for the adventurous Targett

c) Hourihane will be closer to Trezeguet and will help Trezeguet not get so isolated.

Just my two cents

You are 100 percent right re: Luiz. I only have them like that because it's how they line up in real life but I'm being to slavish to reality.

I went with SK for Martinez mainly due to distribution, but realize that's only part of what they do

4 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

157046945_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_46_06AM.png.e6466856b9d5d5b91ceee3f88de5cd99.png1171242106_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_46_30AM.png.8a4f9ebee2188c6648af091bc605b64b.png

Honestly, I would think twice before applying the Prevent short GKD TI in a formation with less than 3 players up front. And you have only 2 in this system.

Btw, the first (left) tactic makes a lot more sense to me, at least when it comes to roles and duties. A change/tweak I would definitely make though is swapping the sides of the 2 CMs, so that the one with defend duty would be on the left. 

27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Honestly, I would think twice before applying the Prevent short GKD TI in a formation with less than 3 players up front. And you have only 2 in this system.

Btw, the first (left) tactic makes a lot more sense to me, at least when it comes to roles and duties. A change/tweak I would definitely make though is swapping the sides of the 2 CMs, so that the one with defend duty would be on the left. 

Thanks man.

Yeah it's definitely the more logical one in terms of FM, as I say it's just Jack's duty that's causing me issues in it.

Also I take back what I said about 4231 itmmight be my way forwards.

Edited by beverage1982

So a bit of an update. I have a 4411 that is somewhat recreating what I'm after but I'm trying to build a 4231, mainly because I want to get Jack in as either an IF (S) or Trequartista which I feel could be his best role. I also hope that the 4231 will speed up my transitions.

This is what I have so far. It's basically the fluid counter preset with a couple of tweaks. The issues I'm having though are: 1 I'm not getting particularly quick transitions and 2 - I just can't get Jack, Barkley and Watkins ot all play well at the same time. I can get 2 out 3 but not all 3.

Is there anything glaring here that I'm missing? 

1229860388_ScreenShot2020-11-13at10_08_46AM.png.47484c1cb9280febf241744999021fe7.png

Edited by beverage1982

Is there anything glaring here that I'm missing? 

- Lower-than-optimal level of compactness, especially for a system such as 4231 as well as the style of play you want to implement

- Defensive overkill created by a combo of lower DL + lower LOE + low (cautious) team mentality + regroup 

1 I'm not getting particularly quick transitions

The low team mentality can explain why. 

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

- Lower-than-optimal level of compactness, especially for a system such as 4231 as well as the style of play you want to implement

- Defensive overkill created by a combo of lower DL + lower LOE + low (cautious) team mentality + regroup 

The low team mentality can explain why. 

Yup, that Lower Dline is purely from the preset which I forgot to take off. Would a bump up to positive be too high? 

In terms of roles, what do you think? Solid enough? 

10 minutes ago, beverage1982 said:

Would a bump up to positive be too high? 

I personally would play on the Positive if I was to try a Villa replication, but would then tone down pressing urgency a bit. 

And I think Villa plays with counter-press (more often than not), rather than regroup. 

13 minutes ago, beverage1982 said:

In terms of roles, what do you think? Solid enough?

Not bad. Except that I would have Jack as AP on support. 

And in my setup Douglas would be the most defensive CM, whereas McGinn would be allowed to support attacks more regularly (probably as BBM, since he covers so much ground). 

55 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I personally would play on the Positive if I was to try a Villa replication, but would then tone down pressing urgency a bit. 

And I think Villa plays with counter-press (more often than not), rather than regroup. 

Not bad. Except that I would have Jack as AP on support. 

And in my setup Douglas would be the most defensive CM, whereas McGinn would be allowed to support attacks more regularly (probably as BBM, since he covers so much ground). 

Ap support is a really good shout. I mean it's obvious, he's a ball magnet in real life and a support duty makes most sense. It's a good tactical remind to not view roles in isolation of player attributes. By this I mean that I've been avoiding Ap support because in my head it was a kind of Eriksen role, where a player drops into the hoels and sprays passes, not run at the defence. But obviously put Jack in there with his attributes and PPMs and it plays completely different.

I guess it owuld also enable me to go with Targett as an attacking FB as well! 

Thanks buddy! 

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Absolutely. Provided the holding CM (Douglas) is on that side to cover. 

Thanks feel like I'e finally got something going. A couple of questions though if I may...

1 - How would you go about setting up a 4411 version?

2 - Why do I have so much possession. No matter what mentality I try I have more of the ball than the opposition which is the opposite of what I want to do.

12 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

Thanks feel like I'e finally got something going. A couple of questions though if I may...

1 - How would you go about setting up a 4411 version?

2 - Why do I have so much possession. No matter what mentality I try I have more of the ball than the opposition which is the opposite of what I want to do.

Honestly I'm finding this rather ridiculous. No matter what I do my team ends up with 58-65% possession. I just played Villa versus West ham. They're not the best team so to try and emphasize what I was after I played a 442. Attacking, direct and higher tempo lower dline lower loe with a couple of attack duties. I ended up with 60% possession. 

I'm also playing with Villa and I started with this 4231

image.png.442370ff48cb69f82f1633d17a7484a1.png

It's been great at home but I'm really struggling away from home, winning one game in 8

Which tactic have you leant on and had most success with in away games?

Edited by ChippyLowe
sent too early

How would you go about setting up a 4411 version?

DLFat

SS

IWsu   CM/BWMde  BBM   (D)Wsu

FBat    CD/BPDde   CDde    FBsu

SKde

Why do I have so much possession. No matter what mentality I try I have more of the ball than the opposition which is the opposite of what I want to do

I really cannot know that. Can you post a screenshot of the final version of the tactic? 

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

DLFat

SS

SKde

I really cannot know that. Can you post a screenshot of the final version of the tactic? 

I've been playing somethign very similar. But ofund a few issues.

1 - Grealish is barely involved.

2 - Watkins gets too involved if that makes sense. Obviously as a DLF he drops to link up a lot. What do you think about switching him to CF () and Barkley to AM (A)

3 - Either on Cautious, Positive or Balanced we seem to end up p[laying tiki taka nonsense. I'm thinking of going direct, pass into space and wide just to get something going. 

------

EDIT

Do you know what this year might finally be the year I give up with the game. Not meaning this as a complaint, it's a great game, after ten years I just don't know how to build a functioning tactic anymore. I've spent the last two days trying infinte combinations of roles, duties, team instructions and I just can;t make the team perform how I want them to. The fault is entirely with me. I know it is, it's just frustrating that things like the presets don;t really work, or that the descriptions of the mentalities aren;t to be trusted. It reaches the point where I'm trying to build a basic 442 counter, barely any instructions, any crazy role combos, and the tam play like a bunch of strangers who've never kicked a ball before.

As I say, it's me, but dang it's frustrating. This is basically what I'm looking to create. It defends as a 442, as the article says, because the wide players work hard to get back into shape. It attacks more like a 4231 but with the left side more attacking than the right. it plays a lot of through balls and long balls. Breaks at pace, no nonsense at the back and focusses the build up down the left where you have a playmaker in Jack gralish. To me that would logically look like this in its most basic form. 

19236823_ScreenShot2020-11-15at12_15_29AM.png.9621efe25f78a550c9fff264a848bdbb.png

Obviously this is not the most sophisticated tactic, or the best. But in theory I'd hope it would recreate what I was reading in this article. But it doesn't. Nor does the 4231 I've tried, the 4411 I've tried. Or the countless variations therein. Basically whatever I do I can;t get this quite simplistic approach to work. It's a shame, because I"ve enjoyed this game for a really long time but these days I just don;t find any joy in it, in reading countless excellent posts on this forum, in watching rashidi's excellent videos, to develop an understanding of how in theory something should work, then plug it into the matche engine and watch it come to nothing. 

I odn;t mind losing. I'ma  villa fan for christ's sake. SO I'm not looking to win every week, just for some logic to be played out. And I'm sure I'll get a response saying my tactic isn't logical and reocmmending a solution, which I'll follow, like I have Experienced Defender's excellent advice. It will make complete sense on paper, then in practice it just won;t work, unelss I turn pressing up to full and my defensive line up high :(

Edited by beverage1982

13 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

1 - Grealish is barely involved

What about trying the Focus down the left flank? 

Watkins gets too involved if that makes sense. Obviously as a DLF he drops to link up a lot. What do you think about switching him to CF () and Barkley to AM (A)

I don't see why such a combo should not work. Abd given that you want a sort of counter-attack style, the attack duty for the CF would make more sense than support IMHO. 

But also pay attention to instructions. Because roles and duties need to be consistent with TIs.

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

DLFat

SS

SKde

I've been playing somethign very similar. But ofund a few issues.

Similar and same are often completely different things in FM. One single different role, duty or instruction can sometimes ruin (or significantly improve) a tactic. Always keep that in mind. 

So I've landed on the below tactic that has seen me go on a 14 match unbeaten spree with wins against Liverpool, CIty, Spurs, Leicester and draws against Utd. It's looking a lot like what I want - playing foootball in opponents half, but in defence a tight block - like how Villa played against Arsenal and Liverpool in real life, only then we played in a 442 hybrid, this is firmly 4231.

My only issue is that Grealish is barely involved, like at all. In most saves I've done that's not been a problem but here he has 1 goal and no assists which just isn't acceptable. I've tried a variety of roles and duties on him but I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the tactic that's making him not function?

327111821_ScreenShot2020-11-16at9_23_09AM.png.80248c0c416b44d68b67f1a91d28afc1.png

Have you tried Grealish as an inverted winger? I use Ziyech as one in the same formation, different roles elsewhere and style admittedly but he finished top of the league on assists with 18 (28 in all comps) and scored over 15 in all comps. I thought about using him as an AP but went for the IWs instead. 

How is he doing on key passes and match ratings?  It may be he is your pre-assist king.  Have you also tried adding PIs such as dribble more to get him to take his man on as an AP more to get him into better positions to deliver the final pass?  Alternatively, roaming, or stay wider/narrow may give him more space/better positioning to deliver the key ball.

On 16/11/2020 at 17:24, beverage1982 said:

So I've landed on the below tactic that has seen me go on a 14 match unbeaten spree with wins against Liverpool, CIty, Spurs, Leicester and draws against Utd. It's looking a lot like what I want - playing foootball in opponents half, but in defence a tight block - like how Villa played against Arsenal and Liverpool in real life, only then we played in a 442 hybrid, this is firmly 4231.

My only issue is that Grealish is barely involved, like at all. In most saves I've done that's not been a problem but here he has 1 goal and no assists which just isn't acceptable. I've tried a variety of roles and duties on him but I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the tactic that's making him not function?

327111821_ScreenShot2020-11-16at9_23_09AM.png.80248c0c416b44d68b67f1a91d28afc1.png

Would it not make more sense switching the CDMs around? 

1 hour ago, benhoward12 said:

Would it not make more sense switching the CDMs around? 

To a degree yes, but recreating real life means MCGInn on the left. I've actually solved that issue, and my others by changing McGinn to a DLP. Whilst he has typically been a B2B for Villa he has all the attributes of a playmaker and this year has more oftewn than not been used in a double pivot. This is my latest iteration and I'm actually getting quite happy with it.

My main issue now is the overlapping Full backs, or more accurately, their reluctance to cross when overlapping, particularly on the right side. Into the PIs I go... 

1636054599_ScreenShot2020-11-17at3_49_52PM.png.3743775b9bf39dafb5bcfbdae2ebc4d4.png

12 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

To a degree yes, but recreating real life means MCGInn on the left. I've actually solved that issue, and my others by changing McGinn to a DLP. Whilst he has typically been a B2B for Villa he has all the attributes of a playmaker and this year has more oftewn than not been used in a double pivot. This is my latest iteration and I'm actually getting quite happy with it.

My main issue now is the overlapping Full backs, or more accurately, their reluctance to cross when overlapping, particularly on the right side. Into the PIs I go... 

1636054599_ScreenShot2020-11-17at3_49_52PM.png.3743775b9bf39dafb5bcfbdae2ebc4d4.png

What sort of results have you been getting?

1 hour ago, beverage1982 said:

Went on a 14 game unbeaten run. It's tight as a duck's behind at the back. Watkins and Barkley doing great but the left side needs work. Hence this switch. 

Sounds Promising! 

will be starting my Villa save come full release!

On 22/11/2020 at 04:17, benhoward12 said:

Thought I would share the below tactic, been testing in my Spurs save, in preparation for full release Villa save! - Have been having some very promising results!

image.thumb.png.605821cfc317056fe5e9567426041803.png

Nice. how you finding the AF / SS combo? 

I've always shied away from anything other than the DLF / F9 / TM due to the SS role description. 

Nice. how you finding the AF / SS combo? 

I've always shied away from anything other than the DLF / F9 / TM due to the SS role description. 

Definitely mixed results! Would like my striker to score a few more but get goals from all over

I just finished my first season the full game proper and wanted to update how it went.

Firstly a big thank you to the tactical hive mind, that's about as enjoyable season as I've had on this game in forever. Incredibly despite only making one signing (vavro in the winter break after selling Engels) we finished third after a five team title race that went almost all the way. 

1687926501_ScreenShot2020-11-26at9_05_50PM.png.ec9136b8459265532a985c261c9c42b6.png

It was huge. But even better was how the team played. I got them playing the kind of counter attacking football I'd hoped for with a lot of direct running. My aim was to get Grealish, Barkley and Watkins all singing the same tune and well it worked...1350890277_ScreenShot2020-11-26at9_06_22PM.thumb.png.b6598f279387572e64bde10ec23ae7a7.png

We also had the second best defence in the league. All in all an incredible season. 

But now the hard work starts. I doubt CHelsea are going to let me keep Barkley, though I'll pull out all the stops for him. The problem is I don;t have much budget and I have a need to upgrade everywhere on the pitch. I'd hoped that Norwich might not make it up and I could pilfer Cantwell or Buendia, but they won the CHampionship at a canter. Fortunately Bournemouth just lost the playoff final so going to try and raid them for reinforcements. I could see Brooks and Cook fitting into this team nicely. Elsewhere I need quality depth in midfield (Allan Campbell and Lewis Ferguson from Scotland look likely), at Left back, Centre back and up top. 

It's going to be a challenge squad-wise, but even more so tactically as I'll now have to work out if I can still successully play the same style. One area to build on is set pieces, which I barely scored anything from. 

5 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

I just finished my first season the full game proper and wanted to update how it went.

Firstly a big thank you to the tactical hive mind, that's about as enjoyable season as I've had on this game in forever. Incredibly despite only making one signing (vavro in the winter break after selling Engels) we finished third after a five team title race that went almost all the way. 

1687926501_ScreenShot2020-11-26at9_05_50PM.png.ec9136b8459265532a985c261c9c42b6.png

It was huge. But even better was how the team played. I got them playing the kind of counter attacking football I'd hoped for with a lot of direct running. My aim was to get Grealish, Barkley and Watkins all singing the same tune and well it worked...1350890277_ScreenShot2020-11-26at9_06_22PM.thumb.png.b6598f279387572e64bde10ec23ae7a7.png

We also had the second best defence in the league. All in all an incredible season. 

But now the hard work starts. I doubt CHelsea are going to let me keep Barkley, though I'll pull out all the stops for him. The problem is I don;t have much budget and I have a need to upgrade everywhere on the pitch. I'd hoped that Norwich might not make it up and I could pilfer Cantwell or Buendia, but they won the CHampionship at a canter. Fortunately Bournemouth just lost the playoff final so going to try and raid them for reinforcements. I could see Brooks and Cook fitting into this team nicely. Elsewhere I need quality depth in midfield (Allan Campbell and Lewis Ferguson from Scotland look likely), at Left back, Centre back and up top. 

It's going to be a challenge squad-wise, but even more so tactically as I'll now have to work out if I can still successully play the same style. One area to build on is set pieces, which I barely scored anything from. 

Very good season. How did you set your team up in the end? 

On 27/11/2020 at 03:15, Ewan0404 said:

Very good season. How did you set your team up in the end? 

I played with two formations a 4411 which was my base "Big Team" counter and a 4231 for when I needed to be more expansive. 

392414077_ScreenShot2020-11-28at11_27_24AM.png.4a485279e06aadb89325c008f72b8cc1.png1939068635_ScreenShot2020-11-28at11_27_32AM.png.95f10204c4c9af4e318453d580981f86.png

The great thing about both is we tend to sit deep then press at the halfway line. When we win the ball I have 4 players with d\"Dribble more" ppm and it added as aPI to McGinn. SO we drive with the ball at our feet and score that way. This season I'm toying with bumping the mentality up to positive and it's looking even better.

Transfer-wise I also had a decent-ish offseason.

1355938532_ScreenShot2020-11-28at11_27_52AM.thumb.png.fdd5682c55dd817426d0bbf00fa3a071.png

Barkley came back in on loan but the delay in getting the deal done meant I couldn't get other deals over the line as I'd wanted (missed out on Edouard for 14m). What I have done though is bought youth for the future and a lot of depth. Harrison is a great DW alternative with a left-foot and some likeable mentals. On a loan with option to buy he's cheap squad filler. Cook was a steal, and while I don't 'need' him at that price I couldn't say no. At LB I'd wanted Rico Henry but he was too expensive, so I got Greg Taylor who isn't stellar but is a body there. Same with Lascelles. I wanted Mepham from Bournemouth but 22m is too rich for my blood. Lascelles was cheap and fills a leadership / determination void in my squad which has been causing issues with my youth prospects' development. 

I have a great batch of 17-18 year olds coming through. The first one to break into the team is Jacob Ramsay who will deputise for Barkley and eventually be his successor. Jack however is irreplaceable, I couldn;t even find a backup in the transfer market and the Brexit WP rules are making it harder than ever to find value. 

I currently have 2 days of the window to go. I'm considering bringing in Embolo on loan as a backup striker (Wesley never fully recovered from cruciates) and still looking for a backup / youth prospect for Grealish. 

Nice job getting champions league mate.

I finsihed 7th first season and I'm currently 7th second season.  I'm constantly tinkering with my tactic, which i think is causing problems as they are never fully familiar) so I think I am going to settle for this currently:

image.thumb.png.fe3b8526d9358063e5b8e5bf57a6eb94.png

If i do tinker again I'll look to change the line of engagement and defensive line - sometimes even with offside trap we get caught by a long ball over the top.  I might change some of the individual instructions on the IW's aswell - not sure if i should have them sitting narrower.

Grealish is terrible for some reason on my save, I don't know if its a beta save bug or what but his stats are awesome but he just doesn't perform.  He's in his preferred postion and role and really struggles most games.  I have tried moving him to the middle in the mezala spot and he still doesn't perform. Kinda lost what to do with him and if someone came in with a bid I would sell which pains me as a villa fan!

image.thumb.png.902eca6c0e11a08be2905262ae00946b.png

Wolves got relegated on my beta save so I somehow managed to pick up Neves, Also signed the left back from rangers for 8m, Borna Barisic, he was superb but Real Madrid came in with a 15m bid I amended to 30m and they accepted, couldn't say no to that for a nearly 30 year old.  Picked up Tsimikas from Liverpool for 16m and he has been really good so far.  Cabral I scouted and got for 13m and seems decent, scored 4 in 11.  I picked up a few wonderkids that are being named on forums etc - Papetti for 19m (missed the cheap buy at the start) and Ugarte on a free.  can't get work permits for either lol..  Papetti I don't think will take long, I loaned him to Dortmund (he's not gonna wanna come back haha) and he's just started getting in Italy's team).  Ugarte is a weird one, awesome stats, instantly went to 20m when signed and no-one wants to loan him, even for free.  Also got Palacios who looks a real good prospect.

I might just squeeze into the top 6 this year with a bit of luck:

image.thumb.png.94ffa0b0a32163e48237605db2cf438b.png

5 hours ago, avfc_number1 said:

Nice job getting champions league mate.

I finsihed 7th first season and I'm currently 7th second season.  I'm constantly tinkering with my tactic, which i think is causing problems as they are never fully familiar) so I think I am going to settle for this currently:

image.thumb.png.fe3b8526d9358063e5b8e5bf57a6eb94.png

If i do tinker again I'll look to change the line of engagement and defensive line - sometimes even with offside trap we get caught by a long ball over the top.  I might change some of the individual instructions on the IW's aswell - not sure if i should have them sitting narrower.

Grealish is terrible for some reason on my save, I don't know if its a beta save bug or what but his stats are awesome but he just doesn't perform.  He's in his preferred postion and role and really struggles most games.  I have tried moving him to the middle in the mezala spot and he still doesn't perform. Kinda lost what to do with him and if someone came in with a bid I would sell which pains me as a villa fan!

image.thumb.png.902eca6c0e11a08be2905262ae00946b.png

Wolves got relegated on my beta save so I somehow managed to pick up Neves, Also signed the left back from rangers for 8m, Borna Barisic, he was superb but Real Madrid came in with a 15m bid I amended to 30m and they accepted, couldn't say no to that for a nearly 30 year old.  Picked up Tsimikas from Liverpool for 16m and he has been really good so far.  Cabral I scouted and got for 13m and seems decent, scored 4 in 11.  I picked up a few wonderkids that are being named on forums etc - Papetti for 19m (missed the cheap buy at the start) and Ugarte on a free.  can't get work permits for either lol..  Papetti I don't think will take long, I loaned him to Dortmund (he's not gonna wanna come back haha) and he's just started getting in Italy's team).  Ugarte is a weird one, awesome stats, instantly went to 20m when signed and no-one wants to loan him, even for free.  Also got Palacios who looks a real good prospect.

I might just squeeze into the top 6 this year with a bit of luck:

image.thumb.png.94ffa0b0a32163e48237605db2cf438b.png

Nice. The WP drive me nuts at the moment. So many good players I'm missing out on.

Weirdly I couldn't get a time out of Grealish in the beta either. No matter what I did he wouldn't do it. I've seen a few people mention dribbling stats on here which could have something to do with it given his playstyle 

How you getting on? I finished 7th but won the euro cup 2 so qualified for standard euro cup.

I had a really good off season. Managed to get Mario gotze on a free- instantly went to 40m value. Should be a good player if he keeps fit. 

Signed beundida from Norwich and Dodo from Shaktar. Really impressed with Dodo I've never heard of him but scouts picked him up and he looks really good. Managed to get a work permit for papetti. Also last minute Dominic Calvin lewin handed in a transfer request! Managed to grab him for 54m I think it was. Had to do some chunky installments as could only afford £13m upfront so I'm going to be broke for the next few years but really chuffed with that signing.