Brexit in FM21

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, francis#17 said:

Dont see anything about u18 players either. Has anyone tested this?

Could not sign 17 years old even before Brexit rules came into effect, so there is not much to change about that I guess. 

1 minute ago, francis#17 said:

You could sign u18 EU players before brexit

I could not sign Arezo who was 17 in my first season. Had to wait till January to get his wp and got rejected with new rules while during negotiations it said that after appeal he should have got one. 

18 minutes ago, CM said:

They seem same but before the update I couldn't sign Marco Kana but now I can. So it works I believe as Belgium is top nation. 

Updated to show screenshots from post-Update, post-Update holidayed to July 1, 2021, and a fresh save.

Nothing in the text changed for me. Haven't tried anything with regards to completing a transfer.

I think people should just be aware as well, if starting a new save and you look at the rules and go onto "Next Season" tab you get the below showing as the Work Permit rules (I only loaded Premier League to test). Once you get to 1/1/21 they change to the new rules, so just a visual bug I think.

20201202152605_1.thumb.jpg.2c938c96186dfd6d26a7636f0afb4877.jpg

I don't see any warnings about maximum foreign u21 players when making offers. I haven't tried to max that out yet, however. 

I imagine that might require a little more development to account for the dates. But I wouldn't expect it to be significantly different than the rules in place for say, Italy's maximum of two non EU signings per season.

Well, I must say that after this update the game is waaay more enjoyable for lower division teams in england, and it's awesome that it also affects already started saves! The rules are still more challenging than the old WP system (as they will be IRL following brexit) but now it's way less restricted and more fair to get a WP.

I'm glad SI took such quick action on fixing this issue, and also the editor! Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Harper said:

I don't see any warnings about maximum foreign u21 players when making offers. I haven't tried to max that out yet, however. 

I imagine that might require a little more development to account for the dates. But I wouldn't expect it to be significantly different than the rules in place for say, Italy's maximum of two non EU signings per season.

The U21 restriction doesn't appear to be in yet. I just signed 8 players from Spain aged 18-19.

Edited by Harper

9 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Did someone forget the Serie B in that list or does the Italian second level simply not count? Would be a bit strange since the 2nd divisions of the other major leagues are all in band 4 and the Championship even in band 2.

I guess it's simply not rated strongly enough, meaning it will be in Band 6

39 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

I guess it's simply not rated strongly enough, meaning it will be in Band 6

Strange if so, it is certainly a stronger league that some of those on there. The other big league second tiers are in band 4 so it does feel like it's been forgotten.

1 hour ago, francis#17 said:

I thought about this before too. Im very sure it wont be, but would need SI to confirm.

I dunno, tying it to the "league rankings" could be fairly easy to code - especially given that they're dynamic (finally there's an incentive to make the Polish Top Flight do well)
although whether it satisfies the licensing criteria could be another question

of course, the issue lies if that some leagues are actually rated lower than their "eligible" counterparts (I'd imagine that the "Band 5" aren't rated too highly within FM)

Edited by samdiatmh

Delighted to see the announcement and now that it's clear what is going to happen.
I honestly accept that this is the impact of Brexit and the lack of free movement (shame but true even if I never understood how so many south americans arrived in portugal/spain).

However ... I think the change that is needed is that you need to be able to send your scouts out to find players who will not need / likely pass the work permit.  Otherwise you're deleting lots of results that are just not valid - doesn't matter how amazing the portugese wonderkid is ... you will not be able to buy him until he's worth 40m and played a lot.

On 14/11/2020 at 09:25, Domathon said:

I find this extreme difficult mode interesting but like I said already having a large database with 200k players and only being able to sign 4/5% of them It will kill the game for many, this thread will get massive when people who get hard mode brexit realise their peril...

Glad it’s been sorted.

Edited by Domathon

2 minutes ago, Captain Krakatoa said:

apoloogies, but could you please explain what really is changing in brexit rules before the patch?

this is my screenshot of my save after patch and i cant see like no more than 6 U-21 players could be bought etc

Screenshot (206).png

So still, the biggest issue about brexit in hame stays unresolved? No ability to see the points required anywhere or how many points a player is estimated to receive in a scout report? 

just want INFORMATION SI, give us the numberssss in this horrendous UI. 

If you're having trouble doing things in the Editor, I'm pretty sure there are discussions about turning Brexit off with the editor in the Editor Hideaway subforum, which is the correct place for those queries.

54 minutes ago, TioPatinhax said:

Where can I check if a player im interested is going to get a work permit?

thanks

Add him to a shortlist, then New Search on that shortlist. Click Add Condition -> Transfer -> Work Permit Chance -> Work Permit likely.

Edited by Smoo

Well, I was very much up for the challenge of playing with the new work permit rules. Just started my third season with Sunderland and, on my game at least, this latest update (21.1.3) has made things a whole lot less strict. 

I had over 10 players in the under 23s who I’ve been applying (and failing to get) work permits for for the last year or two, and now each new application is resulting in them getting a permit. In addition, the vast majority of scouted players coming through are now listed as likely to get a work permit, whereas before it was very rare to see that, with most coming through as unlikely. 

I’m sure Miles and the team are keen to say this was a “minor” update, but if this is how it will work going forward, it seems to me they were some way off being correct initially. 

47 minutes ago, Jono_DH said:

Well, I was very much up for the challenge of playing with the new work permit rules. Just started my third season with Sunderland and, on my game at least, this latest update (21.1.3) has made things a whole lot less strict. 

I had over 10 players in the under 23s who I’ve been applying (and failing to get) work permits for for the last year or two, and now each new application is resulting in them getting a permit. In addition, the vast majority of scouted players coming through are now listed as likely to get a work permit, whereas before it was very rare to see that, with most coming through as unlikely. 

I’m sure Miles and the team are keen to say this was a “minor” update, but if this is how it will work going forward, it seems to me they were some way off being correct initially. 

Seems to me that the only part they were off about was how leagues would be classed for points. Looks like they implemented the core of it, but retained the existing work permitting guidelines or had a tighter classification of competitions than reality.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is more work to be done to accurately replicate the competition tiers, minutes/appearances thresholds, U21 restriction et al, now that they are public, but for a first stab, it doesn't seem "way off" to me.

1 hour ago, Harper said:

Seems to me that the only part they were off about was how leagues would be classed for points. Looks like they implemented the core of it, but retained the existing work permitting guidelines or had a tighter classification of competitions than reality.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is more work to be done to accurately replicate the competition tiers, minutes/appearances thresholds, U21 restriction et al, now that they are public, but for a first stab, it doesn't seem "way off" to me.

Yep, agree in terms of the rules themselves they were pretty close (and they were obviously privy to a lot of the information beforehand) but the resulting effect in game seems quite a lot different. We’ve gone from it being really hard to get work permits for a lot of players, to it being much easier for the vast majority (although I appreciate that’s purely anecdotal evidence on my part!).  

Edited by Jono_DH
Poor grasp of my own language

For poops and giggles, I did the math on Sebastian Esposito - who will be someone familiar to everyone - as an example of the difficulty or lack thereof to get a work permit for a wonderkid associated with a top league club.

In Seb's case he qualifies for a work permit taking either the established player or youth player route, based on him getting some matches at Inter last season. To extrapolate this out to other 'top prospects', as long as they have had a cup of coffee (or a juice box) with their senior club and their senior club is say Band 3 or higher, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Para 31 | Table 1 (Senior Int. Appearances): 0 = 0
  • Para 32 | Table 2 (League Matches % played): 7 = ? Since I do not know how many minutes he played in those 7 matches, I've left this blank
  • Para 33 | Table 3 (Continental Cup % played): 3 CL & 2 EL = Same as above, left blank
  • Para 34 | Table 4 (Club league position): 2nd place = 5
  • Para 35 | Table 5 (Continental Cup performance): Europa League final = 7
  • Para 36 | Table 6 (League quality for club player was in matchday squad once or more): Band 1 = 12

Point Total: 24 - So we can see an easy make in this example, even without doing the math on the percentages played. As we can see, simply getting into the matchday squad is most of the journey. If they step on the pitch in league or continental comps, then that's it done and dusted... again for a topier tier league anyways.

Now in Seb's case, he qualifies as a Youth Player (18-21) so what does that path get him? This is redundant, since he qualifies above and would get those points in most cases, but why not, and making the assumption he played 30%+ of Inter's youth matches before moving to the main squad.

• Para 40 | (Youth Int. Appearances): Band 1 for u17 Euros = 7
  • Para 41 | Table 7 (League Debut for Senior team): Yes = 6
  • Para 43 | Table 8 (League position for that team and the player played 30%+ of team's youth/B team matches): 2nd place = 3
  • Para 44 | Table 9 (Continental Cup performance and the player played 30%+ of team's youth/B team matches): Europa Final = 4
  • Para 45 | Table 10 (League quality and the player hits the 30%+ for clubs B team or youth Euro comps): Band 1 = 11
  • Para 46 | Table 11 (League quality and player hits 30% of team's youth matches): = 0. Not eligible due to points acquired in para 44/table 9

Youth Point Total: 31 - So even easier than as senior player - with the assumption he was playing 30% of youth matches available. Even if he played zero percent, he still gets 13 and the odds are if he gets Table 7, then he likely picks up something from table 4-6.

EDIT: Bear in mind, according to the FA, renewals are required at least every 3 years. So once you get a foreigner in your side all that math will be based off your club. For Prem clubs no prob, but for those that maybe pushing for promotion from below, you'll want to be in the Championship/Premier League in that 3rd season.

FA doc available here: https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Edited by CaptCanuck