Sophara United - Academy players only, for better or worse (The sequel to the Kafra series)

abulezz

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through all the amazing saves over the last few days, I noticed that I have this logo on the top right of my screen that no one else seems to have. When I scroll over it, it said In-Game Editor, but when I try to press on it nothing happens. 

Does anyone know why I have it? I checked and the In-Game Editor needs to be bought separately and I havent bought it (I havent ever bought it, actually.)

Why does it appear on my game, does anyone know?

Mid - Editor.jpg

September 2022

This was a better start to the season that last - we managed to get a few points and even managed a two game winning streak to end the month of September. I felt it was going to be a better season when we won our opener 2-1 against Boreham Wood, and then pulled off our first Away win against struggling Altrincham after a brace from Danny Marriott and a Clean Sheet for Jonathan Aboagye. Our GK's 7.18 AR leads the club and the fact that we are now the 12th ranked defense in the league (as opposed to being the worst) can be attributed to two things - our change in formation and also the upgrade at the GK position. At the other end of the pitch, however, we have also taken a big step back as we are now ranked only the 12th best offense in the league. This comes down to one thing - while 5 Goals in 8 Appearances is not bad, this is definitely considered a slow start for our legendary striker Marriott. In the meantime, Class of '22 winger Shaun Jones has picked up the slack and actually leads the team with 7 League Goals. While we are only 3 Points ahead of 21st Place Ebbsfleet, we are in a comfortable 16th Place heading into October. 

1692456571_Mid-SeptResults.thumb.jpg.aa168858636584f1f9bcd6837f02ee20.jpg

Mid - September League.jpg

Edited by abulezz

QATAR 2022 - World Cup

This was the tournament of Cristiano Ronaldo. He led his Portuguese team to within a goal of the Finals, finally succumbing to rivals Brazil who ended up capturing their 6th title. The Finals was a one-sided affair - the Brazilians defeated the Croatians 3-1, and although Croatia surprised the world by making their second straight Finals, the quality difference between them and the South Americans was on full display during the final match of the World Cup. Ronaldo's 7 Goals were the top in the tournament, winning him both the World Cup's Best Player and Top Goalscorer awards, while Italian GK Donnarumma (who now plays from Man City) took the Best GK and England's Mason Greenwood took the Best Young Player awards. 

The Brazilians defeated a number of big teams on their way to the title - Portugal, Argentina, Germany, Uruguay, and Croatia all fell victim to the boys in the yellow shirt. The only team that managed to defeat the Brazilians were Serbia in the Group Stages. Croatia shocked the heavy favorites Italy in the Semi-Finals, with the Italians taking the consolidation prize of 3rd Place after defeating Portugal. Overall, there were no real major shocks - the defending champions France fell to Germany in the 2nd Round (who then fell to the Croatians in the Quarter-Finals), Spain lost in extra-time to Belgium also in the 2nd Round, and Argentina and England were out-classed in the Quarter-Finals by Brazil and Italy, respectively. Other than Cristiano Ronaldo, there were no standout performers or heroes this version of the World Cup.

1886923682_WC-Knockout.thumb.jpg.158213abfcc19750583ea8ba86ffe321.jpg

JANUARY 2022/23 UPDATE

October, November, and December were a relatively rough stretch, but I am happy we ended the year with a win to hopefully set us back on track. Danny Marriott re-found his touch after a rough start to the season bringing his total up to 18 Goals in his 23 Appearances (good enough for 3rd in the league), but the surprise so far has been rookie Shaun Jones. He has been operating out of the left wing and although his 6.74 AR suggests he isn't playing well, that can be chalked up to the fact he is young and of course maddeningly inconsistent - his 9 Goals and 4 Assists are good numbers. The star of the season thus far, however, has been our GK Jonathan Aboagye - he leads the team with 7.21 AR and we are no longer the worst defensive team in the league! 

December was particularly rough - we fought Boreham Wood away from home to a draw in the FA Trophy but ended up getting thrashed at home 4-1. Those two games came in the middle of our worst run of the season - since the beginning of November, we had lost 6 of our 8 games before some relief came during the last game of the year. Beating Fylde 1-0 not only put an end to a losing streak, it also put us ahead of the relegation zone by 2 points. October wasn't actually too bad, but any progress we had built up then was washed away in November and December. That being said, the team has given us results - and a potentially look at what their peak talents might be - with 6-2 and 6-0 wins in the National league against York and Dag & Red, respectively. Then December happened - our only goalscorer in the entire month was Danny Marriott. I really hope the win at the end puts us back on the right track and we can have a decent January.

749239449_Mid-December.thumb.jpg.6f3f2a64aacad19ecd16999b358bbd19.jpg

Mid - Dec Leage.jpg

15 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Ouch, but at least you are not in the bottom four.

I've managed to stay out of the relegation zone almost all season - let's hope it keeps up. 

11 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Tough little run in the league but at least I'm not the only one who can go from a 4-0 loss to a 6-0 win to another loss!

Young teams are so crazily inconsistent, but I guess that's the charm!

10 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Tough times and that is tight at the moment.

Yes it is - hopefully we can stay up comfortably. 

1 hour ago, abulezz said:

Yes it is - hopefully we can stay up comfortably. 

Yeah I hope so, it should be tough anyway, doing youth only appeals to me but I can't stick to it, for a start I like making transfers and even though in my game I abandoned my youth policy I still tend to sign mostly young players, I am still finding it tough anyway, maybe a lot to do with my management lol, I am enjoying my save, yep get frustrated at certain times and maybe the odd swear word but on the whole I am loving the struggle.

At the moment the plan is to stick with FMT20, will do a career game when FMT21 comes out and see how I find it, then maybe a bit further down the line move Mawborough on to 21 as well.

EDIT - Also why I am here this ......... lNekIs.jpg

Yeah I have that as well, I am on FMT20 so In-Game Editor isn't even an option.

Edited by Maw74
Added to post

3 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Yeah I hope so, it should be tough anyway, doing youth only appeals to me but I can't stick to it, for a start I like making transfers and even though in my game I abandoned my youth policy I still tend to sign mostly young players, I am still finding it tough anyway, maybe a lot to do with my management lol, I am enjoying my save, yep get frustrated at certain times and maybe the odd swear word but on the whole I am loving the struggle.

At the moment the plan is to stick with FMT20, will do a career game when FMT21 comes out and see how I find it, then maybe a bit further down the line move Mawborough on to 21 as well.

EDIT - Also why I am here this ......... lNekIs.jpg

Yeah I have that as well, I am on FMT20 so In-Game Editor isn't even an option.

It is tough, and I guess it is the challenge that appeals to me.

I think the In-Game Editor logo comes on when you don't click disable In-Game Editor when creating the game, even if you don't have it.

YOUTH INTAKE 2023

This was a good one. Not only did it give a bunch of players that have potential to break into the rotation of the first team, but it gave us - potentially - a couple of players that could end up playing a vital part in the squad before the season is over. I was disappointed in the star striker we were supposed to be getting - McDonald is a pure target-man while I like my strikers to be quick and clinical with the ball at their feet. Still, I don't want to nitpick because it seems like this Intake is going to do wonders for the general talent level of the squad. It is a mixed bag of personalities, but at least Ben Sharp (CD with a good chance of jumping straight into the starting lineup) has a good one. A lot of the 2/5 CA prospects could end up being good players for us depending on the type of progress they show in training.

1990170700_Youth23-Intake.thumb.jpg.70dc9939315de8545cbe958f3ad075b5.jpg

Youth 23 - Ross McDonald.jpg

Youth 23 - Ben Sharp.jpg

Youth 23 - Otis Spence.jpg

48 minutes ago, B.W.G said:

Great to see your still out of the relegation zone,hopefully you can turn your form around.

That intake looks brilliant,looks like you have some players who could possibly play straight away.

30 minutes ago, Maw74 said:

Very nice intake, a shame the striker isn't more to your liking but at least he something.:)

Thanks B.W.G and Maw74! I am going to finish the season with my sole striker up front, but I am strongly considering reverting back to my two striker system beginning of next year with McDonald playing alongside Marriott. We seem like we're going to make it in terms of not getting relegated - we still have a few games left but we've got a decent cushion. If we can pull a result or two our way, it will be enough to ensure survival. 

SOPHARA UNITED

SEASON REVIEW 2022/2023

TEAM REVIEW

Slow and steady improvement was the mantra this season – we might have finished in the same position as last season (20th, just one spot above the relegation zone) and we might have had less of a difference between us and the zone (2 instead of 5 Points), but this was an easier year to get through than the previous one. We started out with wholesale changes in the backroom staff, getting a new Assistant Manager and a new HOYD, who ended up being a huge upgrade over Ed New, our previous HOYD, if this year’s Intake is anything to go by. I also hired new coaches, physios, and the like in hopes of improving our players’ development over the course of the season – it is too early to tell if we succeeded in that. As the season wore on, we flirted with the relegation zone every now and then, but we stayed just far enough to be comfortable in accomplishing our goal of surviving the drop. Our form took a tumble in November and although we got better, we never got back into the groove we were in to start the season. We finished weakly (expectedly) as by the last month the team was completely worn out but we had a decent enough cushion that we took the lost points and still maintained our survival. We again advanced to the FA Cup 1st Round but we fell to Blackpool (League One) at home 3-0. In the FA Trophy, we repeated the disappointment of last season by getting knocked out in the 3rd Round (our first matchup in the cup) – we earned an away draw at Boreham Wood but got dominated 4-1 at home in the replay match. Encouragingly, while our defense was still the worst in the National league, we managed to drop the Goals Conceded from 119 to 95, but our Goals Scored also dropped from 86 to 68, good enough for 9th best offense in the league.

The reason for that drop in our offense was Marriott’s performance this season – our best player dealt with a number of nagging injuries and his form was generally not up to the standard it was last season. No one else scored more than 10 Goals – Shaun Jones, our new starting left-winger this season, started very strongly but two months in his talents had forsaken him and he became typical inconsistent youngster who was seemingly overwhelmed in every tough match-up. Our midfield in general was our weakest point (again) – there was no creativity or consistency from the middle or the wings, and every one of our midfielders underperformed. Our defense did a lot better, led by Elliot Stephen and new GK Jonathan Aboagye – the rookie was our best player with 7.27 AR and I believe was directly responsible for our defensive improvements.

During the season, we managed to get a few upgrades in our youth amenities. Both our Junior Coaching and our Youth Recruitment got some investment, and we ended the season with Excellent Junior Coaching and Adequate Youth Recruitment. I have yet to ask to invest in our Training Facilities (Average) but for the second straight year, the club put in money to invest in our Youth Level, this time choosing to invest £625k. Obviously, our Finances are healthy at this point – we paid just under £3k a week in wages while our budget was almost £6k and before the youth investment, our balance had almost hit £1M.

m1RSxe.jpg

f1fkbW.jpg

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

JONATHAN ABOAGYE (2022)

Goalkeeper - 17 Years Old

SEASON OVERVIEW

Outstanding rookie season from the English/Ghanaian GK. His 7.27 AR was the best on the squad and he fully deserved his Sophara United Player of the Year award. He is actually the second GK to win it in our first three years – the first was Isaac Fiberesima, who has since retired from football to pursue his career as a professional club-goer, presumably. At the time of his debut, he became the youngest Vanarama National player to play in a match ever at the age of 15 years and 355 days – he went to be named in the Team of the Week 8 times this season before ending it having been shortlisted for the Vanarama National Player of the Season. His performances were solid and consistent throughout the year, delivering 10 Clean Sheets and 5 PoMs to go with his team-high AR. He played in all 46 Games, and although his 2.04 Con/90 leaves a lot to be desired, a lot of blame can be put on the defensive line for making his life a whole lot harder than it should be. He has become our 4th most valuable player at £13.25k but my assumption is he will be second only to Marriott before long. Overall, could not have asked for a better debut season from the gem of the ’22 Youth Class.   

5ulQ3Q.jpg

DEVELOPMENT/PROGRESS

His main improvements came in his Mental attributes (as is usually the case with young players) this season, especially his Composure which increased 3 Points. He also had slight 1 Point increases in Anticipation and Positioning, both valuable attributes for his position. Technically, only his Aerial Reach showed any improvement, with a slight 1 Point increase, while his Physical attributes did not show any real growth. While Composure is not listed as a leading trait for a conventional GK, I believe it will help him a lot so I am happy with that growth. His Positioning continues to trend upwards as he hit 10 this season, but if we take his average growth in that attribute, he should be at 12 by the end next season. Obviously, I would like to see some increased improvements in his Technical attributes (his Physical ones will naturally get better) so I will be monitoring that closely next season. I have his individual training focused on GK Technique since he graduated from the Academy – hopefully we will start seeing the results of that soon. If he does show improvement, I will leave it, but if he doesn’t then I will figure out another facet of his game to focus on.  

3HQMaQ.jpg

CAREER

After the rebellious Fiberisema and the limited talents of Danny Dixon, the fans must be ecstatic to have a reliable, talented GK for the first time since the birth of the club. He was constantly being talked about this season by experts and analysts – not only was he a stand-out rookie, but he was also considered one of the best players in the league having been named to several Team of the Week selections and being shortlisted of the league’s Player of the Season. Widely considered the best GK in the league by the end of the season, he became our first player to make it to the club’s Favored Personnel – although I don’t necessarily agree with how the game ranks players (I think Marriott would be considered a legend or at the very least an Icon at this point), I do agree that Aboagye is probably the fans’ new obsession. Going into next season, he will be on every expert’s list for players to watch, and I am sure he will be in a few “Players to Buy” lists for a few of the teams in the leagues above us.

Class of 2021

No player of note.

Class of 2020

DANNY MARRIOTT (2020)

Striker - 19 Years Old

SEASON OVERVIEW

This was the first season of Marriott’s career which was dominated by injuries and his recovery instead of his goals. In late August, he twisted his ankle and was ruled out for a month. In late January, he fractured his arm and although I had the choice to play him through it, I chose to sit him out and help him recover faster – it ended up taking almost 6 weeks before Marriott suited up again. Finally, in mid-March, he pulled his knee ligaments and that set him back almost a month before he was able to play in our last few games. Overall, he only played in 35 League Games after playing in 44 and 40 the last two seasons and his 24 Goals Scored was a far cry from his record-breaking 49 Goals last season. Our offense overall struggled with his absence and his 6.94 AR (down from 7.24 AR) suggests that when he did play, he wasn’t quite the same player as the previous years. I hope the pressure of becoming our new team captain (although he doesn’t have the needed attributes for the role) did not get to him because, worryingly, he doesn’t want to renew his contract because he doesn’t feel he fits well in the club’s atmosphere. I don’t think our change in formation helped him – he went from providing 11 and 6 Assists the last two years to only dishing out 1 Assist! Obviously, he still did a great job for us scoring 24 Goals and I would say he is still our most important player, so I am looking forward to seeing him return to form next season.          

Sb19SP.jpg

DEVELOPMENT/PROGRESS

There was slight improvement in his Technical attributes (finally) as he increased 1 Point in Finishing (very happy with that), Penalty Taking, and Technique, although his Crossing dropped a Point in the opposite direction. Not really important as he is not on crossing duty and I prefer to have him be in the box, but still made note of it. In his Mental Attributes, his Leadership and his Off The Ball attributes increased by 1 Point each – the former has now increased 2 Points since he first started his career, which his good because he is our current Team Captain. Anticipation went up from 12 to 13 and encouragingly his Determination seems to be trending upwards, as well. Not much going on with his Physical attributes – most likely because of all the time he spent injured this season – but I did notice his Jumping Reach, which had previously increased to 11, had dropped back down to 10. He turned 19 in February so he should be now entering prime development years, but I am tempering my expectations somewhat. I’d like to see more improvement in his speed attributes as well as his shooting – if we can get some positive numbers on those, he will be unstoppable for this level.

LO08F5.jpg

CAREER

He had a tough year but given how much love our fans have for him, my assumption is that they are looking forward to him being healthy next year as opposed to feeling let-down by him. He remains our ‘larger than life’ player that every squad has, and him being named as Team Captain I imagine would have went down very well with the club’s faithful. Considering he scored 49 Goals when he was in top health last season in the same league with the same level of competition, I believe all the analysts and experts previewing next season would have him listed as a candidate for a huge comeback. He is already one of the biggest names in the National league thanks to his goalscoring exploits and considering he is still only 19 years old, there will be a lot of interest in how he bounces back after having his injury-plagued season. He has now scored over 100 League Goals (108 to be exact) despite not yet being 20 years old, so that in itself is a remarkable record to hold at the club.

UM3Drz.jpg

ELLIOT STEPHEN (2020)

Central Defender - 19 Years Old

SEASON OVERVIEW

It was another strong season from our best performing defender. His 6.92 AR, while the lowest of his career thus far, was approximately the same as his two previous seasons (6.93 and 6.95), and he played in the same amount of games as last year (41 Games.) I was happy with the fact that he became a little safer with the ball on his feet, as witnessed by his increase to 81% Pass Completed from 75% - he also dropped his 13 Yellow Cards down to 9 this season. While he might not take home many accolades and awards, at least I know I have someone consistent and reliable at the back. I am surprised he still hasn’t many any appearances at any level for Grenada, but I assume it will come.

xrWfQa.jpg

DEVELOPMENT/PROGRESS

He didn’t improve much as I think he has already showcased most of his potential, but he did gain 1 Point each in Marking and Positioning this season – important because he is a defender. Overall, he has now improved by 4 Points in the latter and 3 Points in the former, but there hasn’t been much elsewhere. I am surprised that his Physical attributes – outside of Stamina – remain unchanged. Maybe he is a late grower, but I would have expected at least something when it comes to quickness or strength. I wish he had more Leadership (although he has improved by 3 Points over the course of his career) because he is an obvious candidate for captain or vice-captain of the squad.  

5yxVIi.jpg

CAREER

Our defense is the early 2020s, when looked back upon in the history books, is going to have Stephen as its central figure. Unfortunately for him, our defense as a whole is crap but that should not reflect on him – he has been everything you could want from a commanding CD. I would imagine him to be very respected both on the pitch and off of it, and I would also imagine conversations happening in Grenada debating whether it is time to call him up to the national teams or not. His reputation around the Vanarama National league is well-earned as I am sure he is a respected figure by all of his opponents. While the blemish on his career thus far will remain as long as the defense continues to be horrible, he is working his way into having a nice career.  

LSzQIU.jpg

MANAGER THOUGHTS

Our position remained the same (20th Place), we won exactly the same amount of games this year as last (14 Wins), we finished only 2 Points ahead of the relegation zone (last season it was 5 Points), we scored 68 Goals compared to the 86 Goals from last season, and we were generally a lot more controlled offensively. All of that would point to us having a tougher season than last, but the reality is we actually showed improvement. Our defense was much better (even though were still the worst in the league), and we did register 49 Points which was 3 more than the 46 Points during 2021/22. Overall, it was a slightly more comfortable season in hindsight.

What I want to see more of next season is actual substantial development and progress from our players. I know they are young and I know our coaching staff and facilities aren’t the best, but their progress has been pretty stagnant. Aboagye seems to be the exception to that rule, thankfully, but we need more players to step up. That being said, we have had weak Intakes – our ’22 Youth Class is unlikely to turn out any long-term starters for us with the best prospect (Lefteris Fligos) making almost no progress in his attributes and not playing well enough to justify a starting place. The ’22 Youth Class has given us our star GK so there was improvement there, but the hope here is that the ’23 Youth Class will be able to substantially contribute to the rotation starting next season. I am optimistic that we have enough players that can immediately contribute and it seems that our investment over the past three years in our Youth Facilities and Coaching is starting to pay off. I anticipate we will continue our slow and steady improvement in the Vanarama National league until a sure-fire prospect comes out of the Sophara Academy as those types can single-handedly win games for you in the lower leagues.

9LjjQh.jpg

jgQ9xe.jpg

zPPspT.jpg

2 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Danny Marriott is an absolute goal machine! His game-to-goal ratio is unbelievable :applause:

He has been amazing - he's already a legend for sure, in a way that Robbie Fowler is for Liverpool I would assume. Buuuutttt....he has been making alot of noise this offseason about wanting to play for a bigger club and has become Unhappy. The worst part is that this is the last year of his contract, so we might be bidding farewell to him soon. 

Loved the Kafra saves! Will be reading. A solid if unspectacular couple of seasons but it can only be a positive in the development of your younger players. If you can keep the team together then it will only help in the long run!

21 hours ago, Mr Highbury said:

Excellent - good to see the latest version of this thread. Always enjoy reading it.

Let's hope that this intake can push the team up the table and into League 2!

Mr. Highbury! So happy to see you reading and commenting! I hope you don't mind the change in template - the most enjoyable part of the game for me has always been following my newgen's careers, so this version I decided to focus on that.

This Intake is already reaping some benefits - we have had a good first month. 

4 hours ago, deez0r said:

Loved the Kafra saves! Will be reading. A solid if unspectacular couple of seasons but it can only be a positive in the development of your younger players. If you can keep the team together then it will only help in the long run!

Thank you so much! Marriott is on his last year of his contract and is still adamant he doesnt want to resign, so there's that, but everyone else seems on board for now. The progress has been slow but decent so far as we dive into our 4th year. 

7 hours ago, abulezz said:

Thanks! Team is doing OK so far. 

I like your Herro display picture - I think he is probably the second coming of Devin Booker. 

Atlanta fan here but love Tyler's game/confidence, definitely on track to be an all-star one day!

7 hours ago, Khrayze said:

Atlanta fan here but love Tyler's game/confidence, definitely on track to be an all-star one day!

You guys have signed some players - Capela, Gallinari, Rondo, Bogdanovic. It is definitely a playoff team. Young is going to do 30 a game this year. 

1 hour ago, abulezz said:

You guys have signed some players - Capela, Gallinari, Rondo, Bogdanovic. It is definitely a playoff team. Young is going to do 30 a game this year. 

Looks good enough to be a 5-8 seed for sure. I think Trae will be a solid 25&12 kind of guy. Now that he has help he doesn't have to do all the scoring so I can see his assists going up big time. Defence is so bad, we'll score 150 but give up 160 lol

This makes me nervous - my previous Chairman was fantastic, never once rejecting me outright for my completely reasonable and logical requests. We were able to build up our Youth infrastructure through him, so hopefully this new guy will be of the same spirit.

2104637708_Mid-NewChairmain.thumb.jpg.d6a20b8dbf26e2063a0cff5699a38e30.jpg

20 minutes ago, abulezz said:

This makes me nervous - my previous Chairman was fantastic, never once rejecting me outright for my completely reasonable and logical requests. We were able to build up our Youth infrastructure through him, so hopefully this new guy will be of the same spirit.

2104637708_Mid-NewChairmain.thumb.jpg.d6a20b8dbf26e2063a0cff5699a38e30.jpg

I was super worried when my new chairman took over as he wanted me to sign first team ready players (and I play youth only) but in the end it was not as big of issue. Fingers crossed it won't be an issue for you either!