[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

On 10/04/2021 at 08:39, Vizzini said:

Gnabry or Sancho perhaps. What are you looking for in the player?

Dan James should be perfect for it personally. I think he is exceptional but could be just how my team play in my 4-3-3 but would expect if you played a direct 4-4-2 should get the best out of him. I'd even go with Mata as a Inverted winger/Advanced Playmaker on the right wing done it few years back on FM and he was insane  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 3 done, and this time we managed to win everything but the EFL Cup. Liverpool knocked us out in the semi-final on penalties, but they went on to lose 4-2 to Wolves in the final. We managed to get revenge on the Scousers by beating them in the Champions League 2-1. It was a very scrappy 0-0 draw with Liverpool having most of the possession and chances, but in extra-time we stepped up and thankfully got the job done. A week earlier we won our first FA Cup, beating the previous winners Everton 4-0 in the final. We dropped more points this season than we did in the previous year, but still managed to win the league pretty comfortably in the end.

sKBDHNR.png

Biggest disappointment of the season is Arsenal finishing mid-table, having spent most of the season in the bottom three. Honestly thought I was going to see a "big 6'' team relegated for the first time ever, but they somehow managed to turn it around in the last eight fixtures and shoot up the table. Ralph Hasenhüttl was awarded Manager of the Year for getting Southampton into the top 5, but oddly enough didn't win any of the monthly awards. West Brom did qualify for the EL (even though it doesn't show it at the time I took the screentshot) having spent the previous season in the Championship, so Bilic would have been just as deserving of the MOTY award tbh. 

DvIjP4s.png

Very impressive breakthrough year for Hannibal. He'd made a couple of cup appearances before this season, but it wasn't until the second half of this campaign that I actually promoted him to the senior squad and he didn't let me down once. Mason bounced back from his injury prone season to lead our attack, with Martial (who still scored 20 goals) actually wasting a lot of chances this year and going on a thirteen game drought IIRC, so he's dropped behind Greenwood in the pecking order now. Martial won the Balon D'Or & Footballer of the Year awards too, with his poor run coming after receiving those honours. De Gea had a great season but his attributes are declining & he's only got a year left on his contract, so I'm not sure what to do with him. He won the World GK of the Year award and World Golden Glove for the first time, also retained his PL Golden Glove, but his agent is demanding £400k a week for 4-5 years while I'm trying to extend his contract but lower his wages to under the £300k mark...so I might just have to cash-in on him. Speaking of transfers...

uieWRzy.png

Sancho was transfer listed for £50m so I couldn't resist bringing him in at that price. Plus we'd already cashed-in on three wingers at that point anyway so there was space for him. Very happy with the profit on the Memphis deal, Dan James had a bad loan at Wolves but for some reason CSKA made us a very generous offer so I was delighted with that too. We managed to recoup what we paid for Bowen, but Ajax bid £42m so that could have been a profit had he accepted their terms. Magno has loads of potential but I just couldn't get him to stay fit, so I offered him out on January deadline day and managed to get a great profit on him. Hlozek had pretty much taken his place as the ''LW who can cover Rashford & the strikers'' anyway, it's baffling that Prague let his contract run out. Levitt has developed into a decent player but he's pretty similar to Garner, so I was happy to let him go.

6tcEr8U.png

Pogba had his best season on the save so far, despite me accepting a transfer request in January, which is one of the reasons Hannibal was promoted. No decent offers came in, he eventually changed his mind and opted to stay, then ended the season as one of most in-form players. Amad won the Kopa trophy or whatever it's called, alongside the Golden Boy award, so he's someone that I'll try to give more matches to next season. Crazy to think he only made six more appearances than Dembele, despite the fact the latter spent most of the season on the sidelines. There are a handful of Italian clubs looking at Ousmane so even though he's good when he's fit, I think the smart thing would be to let him go. McTominay did ask to leave because I rotate a lot and apparently that's alienated him, so rather than fallout with him I just accepted his request. He came off the bench to score the opening goal in the CL final, so it's a good way for him to sign off I guess. Axel had similar concerns even though it's his inability to stay fit that has stopped him from playing more often, and so I've already sorted out a transfer to Madrid for £50m which will go through in July. 

The other players I'll be trying to get rid of are Williams (behind Menino & Laird on the right, not keen on using him on the left either), Shaw (love him in real life but this is the most injury prone he's ever been on FM for me, his performances haven't been that good when he has been fit & he only has 12 months left on his contract), and Donny (tried selling last summer, ended up loaning him out instead, hopefully get a decent offer for him now). If there's any interest in Koopmeiners, Maguire, De Gea, Martial or Grealish (who had a really disappointing second season) I'll be open to letting them go. 

Into season 4 after our treble win and I've brought in Haaland at striker and skriniar at centre back for the first team with rice joining as DM cover. 

Start of the season has been a mixed bag with the majority of goals coming from scrappy play or set pieces. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice regarding my tactic to create more clear cut chances from open play.

I'm struggling to decide whether the problems are just stemming from new players bedding in or whether the tactic itself needs reworking to accommodate them.

IMG_20210412_114136.jpg

19 hours ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Into season 4 after our treble win and I've brought in Haaland at striker and skriniar at centre back for the first team with rice joining as DM cover. 

Start of the season has been a mixed bag with the majority of goals coming from scrappy play or set pieces. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice regarding my tactic to create more clear cut chances from open play.

I'm struggling to decide whether the problems are just stemming from new players bedding in or whether the tactic itself needs reworking to accommodate them.

IMG_20210412_114136.jpg

Try dropping the LoE and DL to create more space for your forwards to run into when regaining possession OR change the striker into a DLF-A.

3 hours ago, Vizzini said:

Try dropping the LoE and DL to create more space for your forwards to run into when regaining possession OR change the striker into a DLF-A.

Thanks for the reply! Will the DLF-A still play on the shoulder if he has the tries to beat offside trap trait ? 

I'm reluctant to drop the LOE as the club want me to play pressing football or can this still be achieved ?

22 minutes ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Thanks for the reply! Will the DLF-A still play on the shoulder if he has the tries to beat offside trap trait ? 

I'm reluctant to drop the LOE as the club want me to play pressing football or can this still be achieved ?

He can when the oppertunity arises, you'd probably get more using CF-A as its more fluent in positioning whilst also doing the DLF job, Haaland is the perfect fit for CF imo.

You can still press but the LOE is where players will press from, dropping it down to Higher/Standard gives the opposition more room at the back to play the ball, giving them more room pushes them forward a little which enables you more space when you win the ball back which is advantageous as you can create more. 

Anyone has experience with Ndidi, Kessie, Bennacer? 

My scouts saying they are all around 60M. 

Pogba and Bruno seriously needs reinforcement. They take 1 week vacation every 6-8 games. 

Every game out of gas by around 70th minute. 

26 minutes ago, Blubz said:

Pogba and Bruno seriously needs reinforcement. They take 1 week vacation every 6-8 games. 

Not tried them but Kessie is a good b2b and bennacer can become quite useful if he reacher close to potential level. 

If they need vacations/rest then your preseason wasn't good enough for them and will trickle down in latter part of the season. Try a training camp when possible.

I have them both playing almost 4-5 games before rotation, they're reliable so it's on your end, unless they're injured. 

43 minutes ago, BigV said:

He can when the oppertunity arises, you'd probably get more using CF-A as its more fluent in positioning whilst also doing the DLF job, Haaland is the perfect fit for CF imo.

You can still press but the LOE is where players will press from, dropping it down to Higher/Standard gives the opposition more room at the back to play the ball, giving them more room pushes them forward a little which enables you more space when you win the ball back which is advantageous as you can create more. 

Thanks for the explanation! I'll try dropping it down a level.

Do you think swapping the DM to a Half back and giving my wingbacks more license to roam would help the build up ? Or would that affect defensive solidity too much?

4 minutes ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Thanks for the explanation! I'll try dropping it down a level.

Do you think swapping the DM to a Half back and giving my wingbacks more license to roam would help the build up ? Or would that affect defensive solidity too much?

Hmm not to sure, WB defend might hinder greenwood so maybe try support for him before changing the DM position to half back. DM still does slot into the back line while wbs are higher up, just that has aggressive in winning the ball back when it gets in the area, Half back tends to stay in position and acts like a 3rd defender imo. 

6 hours ago, pele10 said:

just basic wingers on attack with shoot less often 

Haaland is a AF with dribble more and hard tackles 

I would assume your Defensive Line and LOE are quite low?

Edited by Gee_Simpson

12 hours ago, BigV said:

Not tried them but Kessie is a good b2b and bennacer can become quite useful if he reacher close to potential level. 

If they need vacations/rest then your preseason wasn't good enough for them and will trickle down in latter part of the season. Try a training camp when possible.

I have them both playing almost 4-5 games before rotation, they're reliable so it's on your end, unless they're injured. 

I knew I must have done something wrong. 

The wingers and strikers are bit resistant to vacation but the MC positions are disastrous. 

Guess need to train them harder in pre-season. I was doing less physical training and thought it would help freshen up for long season. 

14 hours ago, Blubz said:

I have Bennacer in my current save and he's been underwhelming for me, I wouldn't recommend him. One midfielder that I would recommend who doesn't cost much is Gaetano Castrovilli, he's been brilliant for me.

1 hour ago, Blubz said:

I knew I must have done something wrong. 

The wingers and strikers are bit resistant to vacation but the MC positions are disastrous. 

Guess need to train them harder in pre-season. I was doing less physical training and thought it would help freshen up for long season. 

The way I think of it is "The players just had 2 months eating pizzas and burgers" and the only way to get them into shape is physical training

The pre-set schedules for pre season are good guides. It's very important to do alot of physical stuff at the early stages of preseason so they can handle it going through the season. Injuries do crop up for miniscule ones that range from days to couple weeks at max so its not a big issue. 

As you get towards middle stage then you can creep in mental aspects/technical aspects, come late pre season focus on tactics/mentals and getting the team working together- physical overall 2-3 times a week till season starts. 

On 13/04/2021 at 12:39, Blubz said:

I bring Ndidi for backup on B2B for McTominay who is brutal for my needs. Also rotate Camavinga on B2B, but he is not good enough in defensive duties.

Ndidi manage some goals after long trow ins, and main reason why I got him was price-around 30mil and he was on list, Leicester is battling for relegation. 

as.jpg

Edited by milan_manutd
picutre

Is there any way to change the allowed number of scouts in the game? I know I can ask the board, but they already complain about it, which is ridiculous given that you start the game with them, and that big clubs often have dozens of scouts?

47 minutes ago, TelcontarTargaryen said:

Is there any way to change the allowed number of scouts in the game? I know I can ask the board, but they already complain about it, which is ridiculous given that you start the game with them, and that big clubs often have dozens of scouts?

If you're some way into the save/1st season to be precise, you can either get rid of loads below the 20 scouts mark and they'll increase it or you can ask for it and all they'll do is put the recommended level up.

You can replace them, so you get rid of one and you can bring in another, dont think they've ever blocked it before, then again never tried it in fm21

18 hours ago, TelcontarTargaryen said:

At the start of the save you have 2,3 scouts from Holland, for my taste too many scouts from UK, 2,3 from France or Spain etc....

My way is one scout for Asia, one for North America, one for Africa, 2-3 for South America and you can always count on scouts from Spain or Portugal to be very good at judging player from South America. 

In Europe I have one scout per nation (for top 6,7 leagues) and the rest I divide in regions East Europe, Scandinavia, South Europe...

I do that as tradition but in FM21 I do my scouting alone. My top top scouts telling me to buy, for example, new GK with Donnarruma, DDG and Henderson in squad :idiot: Or in club philosophy they don't want to bring in players over 30 years of age and 4 of 5 recommended DC are 30 or over.  One of main problems on newest FM is poor scouting.

As far as I am concerned, I usually assign them all personally, and set them to look for U23 or U21 players. I don't mind them recommending me someone out of those limits, since I might miss somebody, since I usually scout a lot myself, but I care about them being failry accurate in terms of players current and potential abillity.

But my problem is that you start a game with 29 scouts, and there is like 16 allowed by the board. Which kinda pisses me off, since I hove to ask like 20 times to allow me more, and I also have to do the same for the coaches and coaches are more of a priority or sack half of the coaching staff which is **** since you have to pay them off and a bunch of them are pretty good.

Another question, what are the former United players or staff that can be found in game. I like to sign a bunch of them, although that might not be always the best option, but I offer them roles, especially junior team coaching. So far I found Patrice Evra, Andy Cole, Paul McGuinness, Brian McClair, Park Ji-Sung, Robin Thorpe (sports scientist/fitness coach from late Fergie era) .. I know there are few others like van Persie, van Nistelrooij, Tony Strudwick but they are contracted to other clubs. Of course I know about Giggs, Stam, Bruce, Scholes, Neville etc but you can't get them to sign since they are managers or directors so no way to get them without editor...

On 15/04/2021 at 22:04, TelcontarTargaryen said:

As far as I am concerned, I usually assign them all personally, and set them to look for U23 or U21 players. I don't mind them recommending me someone out of those limits, since I might miss somebody, since I usually scout a lot myself, but I care about them being failry accurate in terms of players current and potential abillity.

But my problem is that you start a game with 29 scouts, and there is like 16 allowed by the board. Which kinda pisses me off, since I hove to ask like 20 times to allow me more, and I also have to do the same for the coaches and coaches are more of a priority or sack half of the coaching staff which is **** since you have to pay them off and a bunch of them are pretty good.

Another question, what are the former United players or staff that can be found in game. I like to sign a bunch of them, although that might not be always the best option, but I offer them roles, especially junior team coaching. So far I found Patrice Evra, Andy Cole, Paul McGuinness, Brian McClair, Park Ji-Sung, Robin Thorpe (sports scientist/fitness coach from late Fergie era) .. I know there are few others like van Persie, van Nistelrooij, Tony Strudwick but they are contracted to other clubs. Of course I know about Giggs, Stam, Bruce, Scholes, Neville etc but you can't get them to sign since they are managers or directors so no way to get them without editor...

This is very frustrating if you play with smaller clubs, you just don't have that opportunity to suck scouts and bring another one.

Also problem with number of scouts allowed is if you suck one they wont let you to bring another because on last couple of FMs you have scouts + other staff which is now Recruitment team (loan manager, recruitment analyst,...)

So even in UTD save it takes a couple of season to clear all unwanted scouts. At the end of season 5 I have 19 scouts from 20 allowed.

On 06/04/2021 at 22:35, Chapman7 said:

I just tested him and added extra grand or so with him being a coach is enough to accept lol and one of the best? On mine he only has 12 defending lol 

I had no idea coaches attributes could change! Is there anyway to see their potential? 

Also bizarre that Joyce only has twelve, he's rated 19 for defending on mine but I'm paying him more than double my other coaches.

Has anyone else tried out zaniolo from Roma? He's been an absolute beast for me playing all over the pitch and kept 5 star potential even as the quality of the team has improved alot. 

My only issue is that he has the trait "dwells on ball", is this something I should try and coach out of him or does it have benefits ?

48 minutes ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Has anyone else tried out zaniolo from Roma? He's been an absolute beast for me playing all over the pitch and kept 5 star potential even as the quality of the team has improved alot. 

My only issue is that he has the trait "dwells on ball", is this something I should try and coach out of him or does it have benefits ?

Hes on th shortlist of mine. Dwells on the ball is a bad thing really cause they just stand still waiting to be tackled 

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have or know of a database/save where Man Utd have been relegated or moved to the lower leagues?

I want to rebuild them back up to glory but feel it is a bit too easy straight from the start of FM. I tried the flipped leagues so they were in Vanarama North but I didn't like that all the teams kept all of their players and budgets etc.

Thanks in advance! :) 

2 hours ago, Rogerthealien96 said:

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have or know of a database/save where Man Utd have been relegated or moved to the lower leagues?

I want to rebuild them back up to glory but feel it is a bit too easy straight from the start of FM. I tried the flipped leagues so they were in Vanarama North but I didn't like that all the teams kept all of their players and budgets etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

Tried looking myself some time ago and there wasn't one. Download the pregame editor and just move United to lower leagues is my best guess to get it done manually (just seen you've done that xD)

Try FC United of Manchester, they split up when the glazers came in and it's pretty much founding from United, that'll be my Lower league save once im bored of this one :thup:

Haven't started a game with United this  years FM, maybe it's time to start one.

United has lots of deadwood to sell, a good academy with wonderkids, lots of money... Just one of the most fun teams on FM to play with.

On 24/04/2021 at 00:25, Blubz said:

Anyone changing Nick Cox as HOYT? 

Stats looks pretty good though. 

Always do. His preferred formation doesn't suit mine so players he would bring though would not suit my team 

Im questioning whether or not im over-reacting to what i perceive as fitness issues, and whether i should be looking to fix it in a few areas, or whether its perfectly normal and i dont need to meddle quite so much as they're fine, and hoping you guys might have some input if i go into a little detail about how im playing? Im currently in a quick mess-about season before diving into a proper start next week, and wanted feedback before i get things underway so i can implement any desired changes from day 1.

My problem/concern:
Im currently at mid-Feb, still in all competitions, and IMO rotate the squad quite heavily - fresh wingers almost every game, AM too, I regularly rotate the midfield, and the rest i'll rotate if only to ensure the 'subs' are match fit and getting minutes to keep them happy. Around the 70th minute, the attacking midfield trio go pink condition, seemingly 50% if you take the icon for its word, and you can add another pair of players around the 80 min mark - fullbacks if they're attacking, and the midfielders typically. I can obviously use 3 subs... but i almost always feel compelled to whip the wingers & AM off, and if theres been an injury or someone playing who's not fully fit... This leads me to rotating heavily, and i dont know whether im over-reacting or just need to make a few tweaks to help address the problem.

How we're set up:
I've been playing with 'Higher tempo', 'Urgent pressing' and no time wasting... so i understand them being tired, and if we have a 2 goal cushion that gets dialled back to step 2/5 and typically reduce the mentality a notch too, to be less demanding and simply hold onto the advantage. I dont mind doing this, it seems sensible, but cant say i see if having any measurable impact. Like getting 5min more before they hit a pink/red shade.
What im not doing though is any manual training tweaks. I havent touched this side of the game in at least a decade, and it now looks like a minefield! Even switching a single training schedule, it doesnt strike me as though any of the default options are specifically tuned for improving fitness, aside from pre-season schedules which i suspect arent advisable midseason when you're playing in 4 competitions! So I wouldnt mind going full on Bielsa regime and manually switch in some pre-season and mid-season schedules to raise their fitness levels to ensure they finish less fatigued... i just look at it and feel overwhelmed and see no default schedules to address that the easy way.

Its a conflict ive had for years now in FM, and always gone down the path of essentially having a midweek XI and a weekend XI, which is stupid. I just dunno whether i need a good slap and being told its perfectly normal and play people who are green/low fatigue and just pay attention for staff concerns (mid-game & 'needs a rest' messages)... or whether i either need to rotate more AND have the coaching staff work on fitness levels more, preseason and possibly mid-season too otherwise my high intensity game will fall apart come April.

Thanks.

On 26/04/2021 at 04:25, PaulC2K said:

Im questioning whether or not im over-reacting to what i perceive as fitness issues, and whether i should be looking to fix it in a few areas, or whether its perfectly normal and i dont need to meddle quite so much as they're fine, and hoping you guys might have some input if i go into a little detail about how im playing? Im currently in a quick mess-about season before diving into a proper start next week, and wanted feedback before i get things underway so i can implement any desired changes from day 1.

My problem/concern:
Im currently at mid-Feb, still in all competitions, and IMO rotate the squad quite heavily - fresh wingers almost every game, AM too, I regularly rotate the midfield, and the rest i'll rotate if only to ensure the 'subs' are match fit and getting minutes to keep them happy. Around the 70th minute, the attacking midfield trio go pink condition, seemingly 50% if you take the icon for its word, and you can add another pair of players around the 80 min mark - fullbacks if they're attacking, and the midfielders typically. I can obviously use 3 subs... but i almost always feel compelled to whip the wingers & AM off, and if theres been an injury or someone playing who's not fully fit... This leads me to rotating heavily, and i dont know whether im over-reacting or just need to make a few tweaks to help address the problem.

How we're set up:
I've been playing with 'Higher tempo', 'Urgent pressing' and no time wasting... so i understand them being tired, and if we have a 2 goal cushion that gets dialled back to step 2/5 and typically reduce the mentality a notch too, to be less demanding and simply hold onto the advantage. I dont mind doing this, it seems sensible, but cant say i see if having any measurable impact. Like getting 5min more before they hit a pink/red shade.
What im not doing though is any manual training tweaks. I havent touched this side of the game in at least a decade, and it now looks like a minefield! Even switching a single training schedule, it doesnt strike me as though any of the default options are specifically tuned for improving fitness, aside from pre-season schedules which i suspect arent advisable midseason when you're playing in 4 competitions! So I wouldnt mind going full on Bielsa regime and manually switch in some pre-season and mid-season schedules to raise their fitness levels to ensure they finish less fatigued... i just look at it and feel overwhelmed and see no default schedules to address that the easy way.

Its a conflict ive had for years now in FM, and always gone down the path of essentially having a midweek XI and a weekend XI, which is stupid. I just dunno whether i need a good slap and being told its perfectly normal and play people who are green/low fatigue and just pay attention for staff concerns (mid-game & 'needs a rest' messages)... or whether i either need to rotate more AND have the coaching staff work on fitness levels more, preseason and possibly mid-season too otherwise my high intensity game will fall apart come April.

Thanks.

Would you mind posting up a screenshot of your tactic to see what could be tweaked to keep the same sort of intensity you are wanting from your team. On subject of the training I had downloaded one which has all different types of style of plays to go with the schedules with it, but I'm not sure I can link it or mention it on a public thread. What was your pre-season like? I had a similar outcome after restarting from the update I think may have been a bug but have since started again because no matter how many days off I gave players certain players would have a low fitness/ becoming Jaded for Fernandes and Greenwood mainly which got to the point I had to play 18 year olds who weren't ready for the first team starts as often as they were playing.

4231-H.jpg.9260560ab5b8585f2451fdf68ee0b27f.jpg

I have 3 formations built around pretty much the same shape using Vert-TT. Thats the home version with more attacking roles, an identical away version with the wingers (IFs) & fullbacks on supporting and AM attacking, and the 3rd is the same as the 4231-Home except with the AM dropping into mid for 433. Its mainly to keep them training a specific type of formation with just a few tweaks so i can adjust depending on the fixture. I've no idea whether that hampers me somewhat, makes me predictable to the AI, and helps lesser opposition set up against that. I also havent added any PI's to the instructions, its all on the role.

In the month thats passed in-game since the previous post, ive had 2 more 'needs rest' messages, for Maguire & Demiral (his 2nd). They've played 36 & 32 games respectively, and they get 4 days off. I've not been overcome by fatigue though, but then i have about 400m worth of players (Sancho, Badiashile & Saul not on the screenshot) on top of the regular options so ive been rotating players trying to assess them rather than worrying about fitness levels or results, but ive had a couple of games this month where Rashford, Greenwood & Bruno have hit that reddish-pink warning around the 65-70min mark and its this which makes me wonder whether im asking too much of the team and its impossible, or whether im simply not helping myself by doing things that'll allow them to get to say 80min before appearing to have "given it all they've got".
I just played a midweek game the day before, and now at 8am Thurs, only Maguire is 'becoming fatigued' (just got the 'needs a rest' suggestion), the other 10 who started are 'Low' and everyone else is 'Fresh' so it certainly doesnt seem like theres any concern there. Under 'Condition' a handful are 'Tired', but Pogba has played 270min in 14 days, and he's 'Match Fit'. So nothing that looks problematic i guess... i just have concerns with multiple key players looking knackered around 70min in, especially if this years ME has more emphasis with tired performances. I dont want to get to a final, go 1-0 up and not realise around the 70-80min mark half my team will hit the wall and a top side will punish me, all because i didnt address an obvious flaw in my setup.

Pre-Season i did nothing more than what the game set up for me. Standard pre-season training and friendlies. I've downloaded 2 training schedule packs, i'll abbreviate as BTN & FMS, havent tried either of those yet, but i did watch some of their YT videos and i get the feeling fitness level stuff needs to be done in pre-season and its a bad idea doing it mid-season. I do like the fact that FMS's pack included schedules for various aspects based on a 1 or 2 game week.

Im tempted to try a quick season using one of the many Knap tactics, provided i can find one i like. I dont particularly want to use one simply because it gets results, but i'd gladly take one that does what im trying to do, but sets it all up correctly.

Looking to bring in a new right back at the end of season 4. Williams doesn't want to sign a new contract, he doesn't like big matches and laird and wanB are playing well so looking to find the next big thing. Just looking for people's thoughts on this player before I pull the trigger. 

The deal could potentially cap out at 40 million.

Also anyone else picking up insane youth players in Eastern Europe ? It seems stacked on my save.

IMG_20210504_133501.jpg

IMG_20210504_133515.jpg

3 hours ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Looking to bring in a new right back at the end of season 4. Williams doesn't want to sign a new contract, he doesn't like big matches and laird and wanB are playing well so looking to find the next big thing. Just looking for people's thoughts on this player before I pull the trigger. 

The deal could potentially cap out at 40 million.

Also anyone else picking up insane youth players in Eastern Europe ? It seems stacked on my save.

IMG_20210504_133501.jpg

IMG_20210504_133515.jpg

100% would go for him even if im stacked, williams is meh as it is and backup RB's dont come along often in this version. Buy, see how he plays out after 2 or 3 seasons, get his passing up and jumping and that guy could be the next TAA. Also depends on your RB situation, if you used support and attack he's brilliant, defensive not so much. 

2 hours ago, BigV said:

100% would go for him even if im stacked, williams is meh as it is and backup RB's dont come along often in this version. Buy, see how he plays out after 2 or 3 seasons, get his passing up and jumping and that guy could be the next TAA. Also depends on your RB situation, if you used support and attack he's brilliant, defensive not so much. 

I thought as much, he has a lot room to grow so I'll go for it. I use support mostly as well so should fit right in. 

I just hate seeing academy boys go.

On 28/04/2021 at 02:34, PaulC2K said:

4231-H.jpg.9260560ab5b8585f2451fdf68ee0b27f.jpg

I have 3 formations built around pretty much the same shape using Vert-TT. Thats the home version with more attacking roles, an identical away version with the wingers (IFs) & fullbacks on supporting and AM attacking, and the 3rd is the same as the 4231-Home except with the AM dropping into mid for 433. Its mainly to keep them training a specific type of formation with just a few tweaks so i can adjust depending on the fixture. I've no idea whether that hampers me somewhat, makes me predictable to the AI, and helps lesser opposition set up against that. I also havent added any PI's to the instructions, its all on the role.

In the month thats passed in-game since the previous post, ive had 2 more 'needs rest' messages, for Maguire & Demiral (his 2nd). They've played 36 & 32 games respectively, and they get 4 days off. I've not been overcome by fatigue though, but then i have about 400m worth of players (Sancho, Badiashile & Saul not on the screenshot) on top of the regular options so ive been rotating players trying to assess them rather than worrying about fitness levels or results, but ive had a couple of games this month where Rashford, Greenwood & Bruno have hit that reddish-pink warning around the 65-70min mark and its this which makes me wonder whether im asking too much of the team and its impossible, or whether im simply not helping myself by doing things that'll allow them to get to say 80min before appearing to have "given it all they've got".
I just played a midweek game the day before, and now at 8am Thurs, only Maguire is 'becoming fatigued' (just got the 'needs a rest' suggestion), the other 10 who started are 'Low' and everyone else is 'Fresh' so it certainly doesnt seem like theres any concern there. Under 'Condition' a handful are 'Tired', but Pogba has played 270min in 14 days, and he's 'Match Fit'. So nothing that looks problematic i guess... i just have concerns with multiple key players looking knackered around 70min in, especially if this years ME has more emphasis with tired performances. I dont want to get to a final, go 1-0 up and not realise around the 70-80min mark half my team will hit the wall and a top side will punish me, all because i didnt address an obvious flaw in my setup.

Pre-Season i did nothing more than what the game set up for me. Standard pre-season training and friendlies. I've downloaded 2 training schedule packs, i'll abbreviate as BTN & FMS, havent tried either of those yet, but i did watch some of their YT videos and i get the feeling fitness level stuff needs to be done in pre-season and its a bad idea doing it mid-season. I do like the fact that FMS's pack included schedules for various aspects based on a 1 or 2 game week.

Im tempted to try a quick season using one of the many Knap tactics, provided i can find one i like. I dont particularly want to use one simply because it gets results, but i'd gladly take one that does what im trying to do, but sets it all up correctly.

First of you've said you didn't do more than the game set up preseason. To have players ready for the season you want to get them in the best shape you can so need to make a schedule for preseason or find one that could be used to download. Friendlies need more than the game will set up by default I go with atleast 10 games to give all the players a run in switching the team selected in each game and subs on around 70 minutes. You are playing with a Attacking mentality which will result in more tired players around the time they are getting tired so not much of a surprise, I go with control much better plus you are looking to be playing a more of a possession game which control is far better for too.

Having that much of a high line and playing a standard keeper is suicidal, get De Gea on Sweeper Keeper -Support will sweep any loose balls your defence may get caught out with. Take your Wingers to support will play more calmly I find rather than rushing to get in the box and even shoot. Probably even change AWB to support or defend he will still help out in attack with either of them mentality's. I'd go with Low or Whipped crosses from what I know of Martinez isn't the tallest then change it for Haaland to float being more of a giant than Martinez. Take play through the middle off opposite teams will suss it out the way you play you want to have them guessing at what your teams route will be going through.

5 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

First of you've said you didn't do more than the game set up preseason. To have players ready for the season you want to get them in the best shape you can so need to make a schedule for preseason or find one that could be used to download. Friendlies need more than the game will set up by default I go with atleast 10 games to give all the players a run in switching the team selected in each game and subs on around 70 minutes. You are playing with a Attacking mentality which will result in more tired players around the time they are getting tired so not much of a surprise, I go with control much better plus you are looking to be playing a more of a possession game which control is far better for too.

Having that much of a high line and playing a standard keeper is suicidal, get De Gea on Sweeper Keeper -Support will sweep any loose balls your defence may get caught out with. Take your Wingers to support will play more calmly I find rather than rushing to get in the box and even shoot. Probably even change AWB to support or defend he will still help out in attack with either of them mentality's. I'd go with Low or Whipped crosses from what I know of Martinez isn't the tallest then change it for Haaland to float being more of a giant than Martinez. Take play through the middle off opposite teams will suss it out the way you play you want to have them guessing at what your teams route will be going through.

Yeah, we discussed the training schedules last week :D 
Still, i only did the 6 games the club organised, I wouldnt have thought to add more to the calendar as i was purely thinking that letting them focus on a mostly fitness/endurance based schedule would be better than them having 9 slots taken to rest, match, preview & reviews etc. I was using the 'RDF' training from the Scout site, although weeks 2, 3 & 4 had requests from half the team wanting more strength training, and i think week 5 maybe i found the balance they wanted (added 2 'physical' sessions, replacing one tactical and cant remember the other). I wont know how it all works out for a while though.

GK - Might have been a brain-fart moment, might have been a reaction to a keepers misjudgement to rush out and concede a silly goal. I dont remember changing it, and 'GK' hardly sets alarm bells off when you see it. No idea.

Out of the 6-7 players i'd signed to take a closer look at, i only ended up sticking with one of them. I prefer to play FM with a view to continuing United traditions, and making small changes, rather than losing half the squad to FM wonderkids by the time season 2 starts. I tend to lose interest in the game around season 3, its gone too far from the Utd i know.
So i've signed Pau Torres & Rice, both seem like they fit our current IRL interests, and Saul was the only player i went back and bought again. Im kinda torn on whether i regret both Saul & Rice, cos its unrealistic IRL. Martinez was great, scored plenty... but i want Haaland ASAP, so i'll take that chance.

I also added Calegari, an 18yo attacking RB, and Moukoko cos FM made him a future god. I dont think i'll ever get to see much of Moukoko, im sure i'll give up around season 3 as i always do, but it makes sense as a Utd purchase, rather than being selfish and only signing for the short-term. I dont want a Jose playthrough. 

Tactics, im using 4231 wide, and 451 DM wide. I had a look at the Knap tactics and have tried to take elements of them and adjust them to the players, i kinda cant see the logic of taking a tactic full of PIs and roles for a Liverpool side that is able to win things, and then pretend thats going to work for completely different players. But then i dont know whether you're likely to see better results from a team playing to a system, rather than a system thats built around your teams strengths. I'd rather go with the latter. At least using the Knap tactics as a base, i shouldnt break too much, hopefully :D 

End of season 4 and it all fell apart in the last month. Lose away at Norwich to lose the league, then again to Norwich for the fa Cup final and then get completely owned by a Liverpool side that only a month before can't even get a shot on target against me. 

How do I even begin to work out where it went wrong ?

I know my club atmosphere has taken a hit because Goncalves has thrown his teddy's out of the pram over game time, is this enough to derail a season? 

IMG_20210508_115218.jpg