[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

On 16/09/2021 at 12:50, MatthewS17 said:

Speaking of sending offs, I had this match the day after our Young Boys debacle. :lol:

CL Group Stage match to determine who tops the group. 

Kl.PNG.aecdea9c8083a9af07acc9bbc7f833cc.PNG

Their first goal was a bit flukey as we battered them. But we took the lead and seemed set till the sending off. 

Made a few changes that didn't work and we conceded(I insisted on keeping a striker on). I relented after and took Martial off for Matic, leaving Bruno as the furthest forward. Seems to have worked out in the end. Good 'ole Slabhead hit a screamer.

Found them incredibly hard to play against. Had them in group stage lost both times 1-0 and 2-1 I believe their 4-4-2 seemed impossible to break down a counter attack -_- . Ronaldo being Ronaldo was the one finishing the goals of course and out of nothing to which made it a harder result to swallow as we dominated the play in both games   

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BlueAnderson said:

Martial is one of the most overrated players on this game haha. Managed to get him to score 53 goals and 10 assists.

Been a hit and miss for some iirc, people got rid and got haaland in :lol:

On 18/09/2021 at 22:58, Chapman7 said:

Found them incredibly hard to play against. Had them in group stage lost both times 1-0 and 2-1 I believe their 4-4-2 seemed impossible to break down a counter attack -_- . Ronaldo being Ronaldo was the one finishing the goals of course and out of nothing to which made it a harder result to swallow as we dominated the play in both games   

He had a habit in both games of smashing in at least one, but I managed to keep him pretty quiet. Sandro, ironically was their most dangerous player in both ties.

After that and his real life move I decided to pick up Ronaldo at the end of the season, especially since I'm opting out of purchasing FM22.

The man is a monster! :eek:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.d05ad74b6d844a3b05bf42dda93c595d.PNG

I actually bought him with the intent to play him in my favourite CF role(Complete Forward), but he has a very strange habit of dropping in like a False 9 and moving back into the box too slowly, which is not utilising his goalscoring skills. It seems to be a Ronaldo problem because neither Martial, Cavani nor Greenwood do the same thing.

But as an AF, he is unstoppable. Goals from everywhere!!

Seems to have made the ones around him monstrous as well. Both Marcus and Bruno really turned it up.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.29bc3d13697d3392c97b7c503f72f159.PNG

Capture4.thumb.PNG.8bc73e2eb9a6e74ec7243dd2775d43a4.PNG

Kinda insane the numbers they're putting out. I'm only in February.

Who here will be buying FM22 and will be starting a Utd save? 

Considering formations, always feel like going 4231 because that's what we use irl. I will most likely use my 4231 from FM21 but also considering a 433 possibly, or a 442 diamond. I'm not great at the game, so 3 atb formations seem too exotic for me lol, but I'm tempted to try them especially with the new WCB role. Rashford can easily play up top and same with Greenwood, so I don't necessarily have to use a formation with wingers (4231, 433). They are my favourite formations though so I'll probably ened up using one of them again.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Considering formations, always feel like going 4231 because that's what we use irl. I will most likely use my 4231 from FM21 but also considering a 433 possibly, or a 442 diamond. I'm not great at the game, so 3 atb formations seem too exotic for me lol, but I'm tempted to try them especially with the new WCB role. Rashford can easily play up top and same with Greenwood, so I don't necessarily have to use a formation with wingers (4231, 433). They are my favourite formations though so I'll probably ened up using one of them again.

Never been a fan of the 4-2-3-1 in game or in real life so I'll be using the 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 flat especially with the 4-3-3 being the direction we are going in once signing a ideal CDM becomes solid. I also feel its more of a free flowing formation for how I play to.

On 22/09/2021 at 14:23, BlueAnderson said:

Martial is one of the most overrated players on this game haha. Managed to get him to score 53 goals and 10 assists.

Well his C/A and P/A will off more the 2019-20 season where he scored 23 across 48 over the season in all competitions. So it's probably logical ability for 21 but 22 he should be downgraded significantly I would expect 

6 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

He had a habit in both games of smashing in at least one, but I managed to keep him pretty quiet. Sandro, ironically was their most dangerous player in both ties.

After that and his real life move I decided to pick up Ronaldo at the end of the season, especially since I'm opting out of purchasing FM22.

I actually bought him with the intent to play him in my favourite CF role(Complete Forward), but he has a very strange habit of dropping in like a False 9 and moving back into the box too slowly, which is not utilising his goalscoring skills. It seems to be a Ronaldo problem because neither Martial, Cavani nor Greenwood do the same thing.

But as an AF, he is unstoppable. Goals from everywhere!!

Seems to have made the ones around him monstrous as well. Both Marcus and Bruno really turned it up.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.29bc3d13697d3392c97b7c503f72f159.PNG

Capture4.thumb.PNG.8bc73e2eb9a6e74ec7243dd2775d43a4.PNG

Kinda insane the numbers they're putting out. I'm only in February.

Great stats there. I did have him in FM21, I think it was the 3rd season I got him on a free, he didn't score like that but he still done well for me, I played him on the wing but he's now too slow so I would only play him as a striker now, probably poacher. I've stopped playing FM21 though, waiting for the new game now. 

42 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Never been a fan of the 4-2-3-1 in game or in real life so I'll be using the 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 flat especially with the 4-3-3 being the direction we are going in once signing a ideal CDM becomes solid. I also feel its more of a free flowing formation for how I play to.

Hmm...I reckon I'll try out the 433 for United this time on FM22. Only thing that makes me unsure on the 433 is, I like my striker to be the main goalscorer in my team, I would imagine it's easier to make a striker prolific in a 4231 because you have an AMC behind? Or have you managed to make your striker a regular goalscorer in your 433?

6 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Hmm...I reckon I'll try out the 433 for United this time on FM22. Only thing that makes me unsure on the 433 is, I like my striker to be the main goalscorer in my team, I would imagine it's easier to make a striker prolific in a 4231 because you have an AMC behind? Or have you managed to make your striker a regular goalscorer in your 433?

In my set up my striker is my main scorer though its spread around also.

Greenwood whos played on the Right Wing is the top scorer with 20 in 37 in all competitions with just 4 as striker. 

Martial has 18 in 48 who took a bit longer to get going/ used to the tactic instructions along with playing 6 as Left Wing and 1 as Right Wing 

Cavani has 15 in 38 17 as sub appearances and took me a while to find a role that would play to his strengths 

Bruno has 15 in 38 as CM and once Left Wing. Only has 7 assists which has been the down fall, but likely it's down to Telles being the main assist provider while hes cemented his place and Shaw has thrown his toys out of the pram not getting a look in but playing like he did before Telles was signed in real life 

Rashford has 13 in 39 being hot and cold in terms of form. He started in hot form but slowed down after a few games think he scored in his first 3-6 games then went quite a few games without any goals/assists.

I'm in the first season to also.

Manchester United_ Players-3.png

7 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

I'm considering signing him or Haaland on mine. Coming to end of first season but not so keen on the idea of Ronaldos wage demands are going to be like plus the fee Juventus will want to. I'm not a fan of the fee Dortmund will want so may look elsewhere yet for a desired striker. Want either another Complete Forward - Attack or Deep-Lying Forward - Attack. Oyarzabal or Barrenetxea look ideal on the Deep-Lying Forward role

Yeah he grabbed a low XG goal somehow and from a odd angle to which did annoy me :lol:. Also they play a 4-4-2 which made it hard to play against. I dominated in the first leg playing my way, second leg I created another tactic to try and numb out their attacks but didn't go to plan maybe should have made it just after the first leg instead a week before second 

Edited by Chapman7

42 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

I'm considering signing him or Haaland on mine. Coming to end of first season but not so keen on the idea of Ronaldos wage demands are going to be like plus the fee Juventus will want to. I'm not a fan of the fee Dortmund will want so may look elsewhere yet for a desired striker. Want either another Complete Forward - Attack or Deep-Lying Forward - Attack. Oyarzabal or Barrenetxea look ideal on the Deep-Lying Forward role

What about Isak?

End of season 1- 

Managed to get 2nd place despite being top for long period of the season but inconsistency cost us few points to allow Liverpool to take first place from us. Playing Liverpool 3 times in the season and them scoring about 3 goals each time on average was a killer  blow especially being one of the last games 3rd or 4th last game which winning it would have took me above them. No clue how to beat them tried everything! 

Knocked out first Knockout Round to Juventus 2-0 on agg(1-0) each game. Ronaldo with both goals despite trying to mark him out of the game and trying to lower the creative players chances of getting him in the game.

F.A Cup - Final but got destroyed by City as team decided to not turn up think was 3-0 defeat.

Carabao Cup - knocked out to Liverpool 3-1 I believe in Semi Final.

Greenwood finished second top scorer on 19 in the league was tied between Greenwood and Raul Jiminez on 19 until final game where Jiminez scored two in his final season game

Telles got 3rd place in assists with 11 in league. Was top for a while so had hoped he would keep it 

Need to decide who to ship out to trim down the squad. 

I was thinking Matic, Peirera & maybe Lingard and maybe another 1 or 2. Not sure who I will be bringing in either need a better option to James as back up winger.

English Premier Division_ Profile.png

Manchester United_ Players-4.png

Manchester United_ Players-5.png

On 24/09/2021 at 17:25, Gee_Simpson said:

Have big desire to play classic 4-4-2 maybe.

DDG: AWB,Maguire,Varane,Shaw: Sancho,McTominay,Bruno,Ronaldo: Greenwood, Rashford

It seems that there was only 2 tactics in previous FMs and everyone just played  4-2-3-1, or 4-1-2-2-1 V

In 4th and 5th season I've been played diamond because Telles was phenomenal and I want to develop some of youngsters on AMC position.

On 29/09/2021 at 18:48, milan_manutd said:

At the start of season six Haaland is available for 35milŁ :idiot:

This is his stats, no long term injurieshaland.jpg.205762bf10939e46fc5f910df7e27ef8.jpg

Whats his scout report like then? That's the first time i come across such poor output 

Need a player similar to Sancho, who's can play more than one position even if just both wings and can make a contribution in goals and assists to. Jadon Sancho is becoming harder to see joining me with Dortmund not wanting to budge of their £130 million request. Need someone to help Telles with providing chances as Bruno and Pogba combined 10 assists between them Bruno with 6 and Pogba with 4. Bruno did contribute more with 20 goal involvement though Pogba I've never managed to get more goals or assists out of on alot of Football Manager games.

3 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

Marcus Edwards

I have him and lets just say his workrate and fitness are big issues. Obviously different for everyone but he has 1 good game in like 8 for me, so I use him as a sub, but diallo seems the better option for me. 

13 hours ago, BigV said:

I have him and lets just say his workrate and fitness are big issues. Obviously different for everyone but he has 1 good game in like 8 for me, so I use him as a sub, but diallo seems the better option for me. 

Yes, I agree that he is "cat in the bag" as we say in Serbia, you'll never know what you can get. In my plans he is nowhere near first 11, but many players make big star out of him in FM21.

It is very big dis-balance between ratings in Physical department - such a quick player with so poor stamina and strength

med.jpg

medw.jpg

1 hour ago, milan_manutd said:

Yes, I agree that he is "cat in the bag" as we say in Serbia, you'll never know what you can get. In my plans he is nowhere near first 11, but many players make big star out of him in FM21.

It is very big dis-balance between ratings in Physical department - such a quick player with so poor stamina and strength

med.jpg

medw.jpg

Reminds me of a poor mans James rodriguez :lol:

Yeah agreed, I think it was "work this space" that had an early united save and he made him into one of the best players in the team and was outstanding. I ended up buying him, had a few decent games and then fell off a cliff cause he just didnt do anything apart from dribble. Also noticed he doesnt even dribble and use his pace half of the time, better as a winger down the left than RW/RM 

On 02/10/2021 at 19:26, milan_manutd said:

@Chapman7

Maybe Nico Serrano, Marcus Edwards, Thiago Almada...

Here is ss of Haland, eventually I bring him at the deadline day, just for curiosity

haland.jpg

He has declined slightly from what I can tell. Maybe had serious injury or injuries to have him suffer in form like that

I was thinking Pedro Goncalves from Sporting or was even thinking or using Shola Shoretire, Amad Diallo and Karamoko Dembele to rotate with Greenwood on the right in the hope can get them developed enough to replace Greenwood when he starts playing down the middle in competition with Martial

12 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

He has declined slightly from what I can tell. Maybe had serious injury or injuries to have him suffer in form like that

I was thinking Pedro Goncalves from Sporting or was even thinking or using Shola Shoretire, Amad Diallo and Karamoko Dembele to rotate with Greenwood on the right in the hope can get them developed enough to replace Greenwood when he starts playing down the middle in competition with Martial

I play Greenwood as DLF, on left Rash as IF and on right Belingham as IF. First I was furious because my board decide to bring him for 133mil £ + add ons- and from january he was on the bench but after few starts in new season in first 11 he have 6 goals in 7 games. 

12 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

I play Greenwood as DLF, on left Rash as IF and on right Belingham as IF. First I was furious because my board decide to bring him for 133mil £ + add ons- and from january he was on the bench but after few starts in new season in first 11 he have 6 goals in 7 games. 

I thought you used a 442 diamond? Are you now using something else? 

15 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I thought you used a 442 diamond? Are you now using something else? 

I switched to 4-1-2-2-1V because diamond just stop working. TBH few injuries hit me and I was forced to rotate constantly. At the beginning of new season I create new tactics. Will post you some ss when I return from work - it suits just fine to me. 

On 05/10/2021 at 08:43, milan_manutd said:

Yeah been training Greenwood as a striker but played mostly as Inverted Winger on Attack. Need someone to come in because Dan James is just to hit and miss in form. Diallo and Dembele might need longer to be ready for staking claim for first team 

So I was devastated after find out that my save was lost and I have to start over season 5. And it was the worst season in my life. Start very well with winning Community against Live and UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea on penalties. First 5 games 4 wins and 1 draw with only 1 goal conceded. After that I start to rotate and we lost two games every month. I played almost till the end 4-4-2 diamond having problems away - total 7 defeat with 4 of them away and 5 without scoring!!! With only 28 goals conceded in total my deffence was the second best.  Add to that some minor injuries on repeat...

So I need to put more effort on attack and I switch to 4-1-2-2-1V. That bring me easy win over Arsenal 5:0 and over ManCity 3:0 in FA Cup finale.

In next season I have only 2 defeat, away at Chelsea 3:1 and 1:0 vs Liverpool in Community but again away I have problems 3 draws away from total 4.
Greenwood have 11, Rash and Bellingham 9 goals and on asist Rash is leader with 9 Greenwood have 7 and Bruno 6.

First 11 is: Donnarumma, AWB (or Milenkovic in derby matches) suport: De Light, Upamecano, Calafiori/Telles attack:

Cammavinga as DLP sup (or Rice DLP deff in derby matches), McTominay B2B, Bruno mezz;

Bellingham Winger Att, Rash IF, Greenwood DLF.

Need to cut down my squad because too many players are over 21 (Hannibal, Reyner, Savio, Nico Serrano, Rovella, Diallo, Arezo, Gnoto, Wirtz,..) and many of them are not that good as I think they will be. Bruno, Martial, AWB, Menino, Calafiori, Ndidi, are all in last 6 months of contract and today is 01.01.2026. so enough of writing have some negotiations to do :D

0.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Untitled.jpg

43 minutes ago, milan_manutd said:

So I was devastated after find out that my save was lost and I have to start over season 5. And it was the worst season in my life. Start very well with winning Community against Live and UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea on penalties. First 5 games 4 wins and 1 draw with only 1 goal conceded. After that I start to rotate and we lost two games every month. I played almost till the end 4-4-2 diamond having problems away - total 7 defeat with 4 of them away and 5 without scoring!!! With only 28 goals conceded in total my deffence was the second best.  Add to that some minor injuries on repeat...

So I need to put more effort on attack and I switch to 4-1-2-2-1V. That bring me easy win over Arsenal 5:0 and over ManCity 3:0 in FA Cup finale.

In next season I have only 2 defeat, away at Chelsea 3:1 and 1:0 vs Liverpool in Community but again away I have problems 3 draws away from total 4.
Greenwood have 11, Rash and Bellingham 9 goals and on asist Rash is leader with 9 Greenwood have 7 and Bruno 6.

First 11 is: Donnarumma, AWB (or Milenkovic in derby matches) suport: De Light, Upamecano, Calafiori/Telles attack:

Cammavinga as DLP sup (or Rice DLP deff in derby matches), McTominay B2B, Bruno mezz;

Bellingham Winger Att, Rash IF, Greenwood DLF.

Need to cut down my squad because too many players are over 21 (Hannibal, Reyner, Savio, Nico Serrano, Rovella, Diallo, Arezo, Gnoto, Wirtz,..) and many of them are not that good as I think they will be. Bruno, Martial, AWB, Menino, Calafiori, Ndidi, are all in last 6 months of contract and today is 01.01.2026. so enough of writing have some negotiations to do :D

0.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Haaland seems to be doing well considering his bad goal return before you signed him.

When did you sign Bellingham? Tried for him but Dortmund are unwilling to give a price lol

47 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Haaland seems to be doing well considering his bad goal return before you signed him.

When did you sign Bellingham? Tried for him but Dortmund are unwilling to give a price lol

On 05/10/2021 at 09:43, milan_manutd said:

It was january window in season 5.

1 minute ago, milan_manutd said:

It was january window in season 5.

Yeah saw you posted board signed him wasn't sure on what season you were in lol guess got no chance for while then :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like you promised to register him for the PL, but then loaned him out. If not, that looks like a bug; otherwise it's just bad management. I don't see how you could promise him PL registration when he wasn't at the club.

He was in PL but as backup. Telles and Calafiori are my first choice. So from time to time he wanted to be loaned out or even transfer listed by request. And in january window he switch to Leverkuzen on loan. Nothing unusual, no promises, think that this is real bug.

He is unhappy for not being registered after he agree, for more playing time, to go on loan out!!!

Sold Baily to Spurs doesn't suit the team the way I have the team set up, managed to get £23 million straight up. Came across John Stones listed, for £21 million I think it was but they won't accept that but £38.5 (£45) million. Worth that fee? Only in the summer 2021 so isn't old or anything. Could do with a leader type for training purposes and to lead the back line to not to sure if he is the type for it 

On 24/09/2021 at 16:25, Gee_Simpson said:

I will be starting with a Man Utd save straight from the beta on fm22. I don’t usually on the beta but got a bigger save planned for after this save.

I always look at 4-3-3 for us, as I’m not a fan of 4-2-3-1, but this time I also want to try out a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, with the midfield being the biggest issue to sort.

13 hours ago, sedge11 said:

I will be starting with a Man Utd save straight from the beta on fm22. I don’t usually on the beta but got a bigger save planned for after this save.

I always look at 4-3-3 for us, as I’m not a fan of 4-2-3-1, but this time I also want to try out a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, with the midfield being the biggest issue to sort.

I'll probably wait until the actual release, but this will just be a fun save for me, not my main one this time. My main save will be in Germany because I've never managed there before. It will either be my favourite German team Bayer Leverkusen or the sleeping giants Kaiserslaurten in 3. Liga. 

1 hour ago, jackripper said:

Signed Gavi for around £38 million from Barca and signed Mbappe on a free on FM22. Quite a few good players who contracts end at the end of the season. Players like Dybala, Zlatan and others

I’ve started my Man Utd and have purposely gone after brozovic and Kessie, to unsettle them so they don’t sign new contracts then hoping to get one of them on a free for the 2nd season for the dm role, or in kessie case Pogba replacement if I let him go.

Even for Man Utd got to love a bargain.

Edited by sedge11

Just want a quick gauge on fm22 thread:

Would people want this kept as an fm21 thread and someone to make a new one? or would it be best to edit the title and keep this one carried on for fm22 (would probably need a new page dedicated to the new team and screen shots)?

1 hour ago, BigV said:

Would people want this kept as an fm21 thread and someone to make a new one? or would it be best to edit the title and keep this one carried on for fm22 (would probably need a new page dedicated to the new team and screen shots)?

new thread i reckon

2 hours ago, BigV said:

May be better for a new one

3 hours ago, BigV said:

Yea new thread sounds good :brock:

16 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Nice. What formation are you using? 

3-4-3 or 3-2-2-3 essentially. 3 at the back (2 wide CB's and 1 Libero), 2 central midfielders, 2 inside forwards and 3 strikers (2 advanced and 1 poacher).

It's extremely attacking and can only use it with top teams I would assume, but I basically used United as a team to test my tactic. Scored 143 in the league, but conceded 73. Ended up 2nd place unfortunately, but won the Champions League and Carabao Cup, reaching Quarters of the FA Cup. 62 goals in the Champions League from 333 shots over 13 matches. We also won the most tackles as well which is a surprising one. 

Ronaldo 58 goals, 30 assists

Cavani 44 goals, 13 assists

Martial 34 goals, 12 assists

Greenwood 24 goals, 16 assists

Pogba 20 goals, 18 assists

Fernandes 16 goals, 34 assists

Rashford 10 goals, 13 assists

Sancho 8 goals, 20 assists

Literally everyone in the squad scored goals (over 5 games), except Varane, Matic and the Henderson (don't know why De Gea wasn't used).