[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

Gotta be happy with that Champions League draw.

image.png.27b3987a3995c8b7e399aad072f6c384.png

Currently sitting 3rd in the league after three games, a 5-0 home win against WBA in the first game, 2-1 away at Leeds in the second and a disappointing 2-1 loss at Stamford Bridge in the third match. Also into the 5th round of the Carabao cup, with Mata scoring twice against Burnley in the 4th round. 

Only the one signing so far, Jadon Sancho after delegating. A few outgoings but not as many as I would have liked.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Braundjoh said:

Gotta be happy with that Champions League draw.

image.png.27b3987a3995c8b7e399aad072f6c384.png

Currently sitting 3rd in the league after three games, a 5-0 home win against WBA in the first game, 2-1 away at Leeds in the second and a disappointing 2-1 loss at Stamford Bridge in the third match. Also into the 5th round of the Carabao cup, with Mata scoring twice against Burnley in the 4th round. 

Only the one signing so far, Jadon Sancho after delegating. A few outgoings but not as many as I would have liked.

You've got Rennes so you don't even have to send a scout to watch Camavinga haha

He requested to leave at one point in my save but they held firm on their price and it was just too high for me. Settled for Garner now that he's back from loan, and I'm working Gravenberch up to standard to swap around with him. I did snag Declan Rice after West Ham found themselves relegated.

Edited by Juls317

12 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

He requested to leave at one point in my save but they held firm on their price and it was just too high for me. Settled for Garner now that he's back from loan, and I'm working Gravenberch up to standard to swap around with him. I did snag Declan Rice after West Ham found themselves relegated.

How much Did Declan Rice cost you looks like west ham will get Relegated on my game save and he'll be good for me at spurs

Edited by Mcfc1894

27 minutes ago, Mcfc1894 said:

How much Did Declan Rice cost you looks like west ham will get Relegated on my game save and he'll be good for me at spurs

35mil up front, 21mil split into three payments across the next three years. Possibly overpaid a bit, but the Pogba money gave me some freedom.

Finished the first season in fourth, pipping City to the last Champion's League spot and dooming Pep to the unemployment line. Well, until he took over the Spain job. The top of the table was dominated by Merseyside, with Liverpool winning the league and Everton finishing a surprising 2nd after a dip in form in the middle of the year dropped them down aroun 7th if I recall correctly. Arsenal came in third. Chelsea finished a horrible 15th, fired Frank midseason, and brought in Max Allegri as his replacement. Jose has left Spurs as well after they spent much of the year in the bottom half of the table, though Bielsa came in and recovered to guide the club to 11th, with Eddie Howe replacing him at Leeds.

Did manage to win the FA Cup, but lost in the first knockout round of the Champions League to Inter, 2-1 on aggregate.

transfers.thumb.PNG.cc3e51e133340475189463e4332f02e0.PNG

Transfers for 21/22. Aarons was too good of a deal to pass up since Norwich were firmly mid table. Rice came in too, as mentioned above, but I technically negotiated that transfer in the timeframe that the game regards as the previous window. 56mil for him, 35 up front, 21 over three years, and a couple of bonuses for international appearances and if we win the league in the next two years. Planning for Williams to work to take over the LB spot in the next few years, so I secured the right side with Aarons since he's young, highly rated, and English. Also decided to take a punt on Sandry. If nothing else, he's profit.And...well I couldn't pass up on Gigi on a free. He agreed to be the cup keeper and as much as I would have liked for Hendo to take over the reigns from de Gea...I mean Donna was free, I couldn't say no.

Matic has a transfer clause in the loan agreement, as does Chong (though you can't see him in the screenshot). Don't have room for Dan James, so he's back out on loan again, and Pellistri is out to Udinese for another year of top level game time to help his development since Diallo has performed well and Greenwood is still going to start. I extended Cavani after his impressive performance last season, finishing as the club's top scorer. Somehow I managed to offload Pereira...no clue why Hoffenheim bought him but I'm happy to take their money. After Pogba refused to sign a new contract, and then threw a fit when I offered him out despite publicly flirting with Madrid and angering part of the squad, he got his move to Spain. Didn't mind, tidy transfer fee and he always seems underwhelming to me in FM. Unfortunately, Edouard is not panning out and hasn't scored in something like 12 matches...may have to sell him on at this point. Jones and Bailly are still at the club, but they're stuck in the U23s so I don't have to deal with them being in my squad view. No one wants them, what a surprise.

I'm waiting for the official release date (still over a week :() before starting my save as this will be my main one. Finally, after many false starts on FM20, I promise you all I will make progress this time :lol:

Is there any chance of late data changes? How on earth has Harry Maguire had a tiny upgrade? I have no idea why?! I think Pogba should have had a bigger downgrade, maybe De Gea even slightly more than he has just now although at least it's more noticeable than Pogba's. I was hoping for an upgrade in positioning from Van De Beek, so he could play in the '2' in a 4231 but looks like it's either backup AMC for him or potentially a place in a 433, but with better central play this year I definitely want to make use of an AMC and 4231 has always been my favourite formation anyway, although yeah the team also looks suited to a 4312/diamond as mentioned by @Zeonflux that could possibly be a 2nd option to let Telles have more freedom. Damn, Telles was looking soo good until I noticed his 9 for positioning which is a bummer, as it was 13 on FM20, and it's pretty important to me if the player is required to defend in some capacity which will probably be the case in a 4231. How important do you all find it for a fullback/wing back? Best 1st team upgrade has certainly been Martial, now he has decent determination, decisions and work rate vs FM20 which were all 11 and under.  Out of the youth squads, Mengi has had a massive upgrade which is nice to see, with Laird also getting a nice upgrade. Happy to see my favourite from FM20 Garner just as good this time around :) Really liking the look of the new youth added and the youth signings (Pellestri, Diallo).

Edited by Gee_Simpson

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Is there any chance of late data changes?

To us? probably not but there will be some changes- Alphonso davies has been said to have an upgrade cause he looks like an average youngster :lol:

I think de gea has worsened, his commanding and top half of technicals looks abysmal 

Also 4231 with a CAM seems to be very strong atm, seen a few united streams using it and bruno looks unreal with assists 

39 minutes ago, milan_manutd said:

Did they make some changes with scouting reports and grades? For me Sancho is at 64 recomendation. Most of scouted players is in range from 50 to 70 and I'm talking about very good players some of them world class talents.

I'd probably post that as a bug then, are the scouts good? above 16 for both ability and potential?

1 hour ago, milan_manutd said:

Did they make some changes with scouting reports and grades? For me Sancho is at 64 recomendation. Most of scouted players is in range from 50 to 70 and I'm talking about very good players some of them world class talents.

If you're looking in your shortlist, it's a combination of scout + analyst report, so the average would be around 64-70. Hover over it, you'll see the report numbers separately. Or go to their profile, it should show the scout recommendation.

1 hour ago, BigV said:

To us? probably not but there will be some changes- Alphonso davies has been said to have an upgrade cause he looks like an average youngster :lol:

I think de gea has worsened, his commanding and top half of technicals looks abysmal 

Also 4231 with a CAM seems to be very strong atm, seen a few united streams using it and bruno looks unreal with assists 

Yeah and in general too really. I'm definitely waiting for the official release date as I'm another person who isn't happy with Alphonso Davies' attributes, how they haven't been upgraded much is beyond me. De Gea has worsened yeah, at least. 

Yeah 4231 is the formation I'll almost certainly go with, although I tend to disable first window budgets so would be struggling for the right pairing in the 1st half of the 1st season, especially for depth. Literally only Fred, McTominay and Pogba are viable options as part of the '2'. Garner is another option but obviously is on loan to Watford. Matic is probably too slow to play in the '2', been told that 12 should be the minimum to look for in pace and acceleration.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

2 hours ago, BigV said:

I'd probably post that as a bug then, are the scouts good? above 16 for both ability and potential?

Budimir Vujacic JPA15/JPP19 was watching him, but in Reports Overview Recomendation is 63 and in Analyst report is 50 and in Scout report 76 :rolleyes:

So on this one I don't need them to tell me that Sancho is good enough for me I just want to figure out how the reports and grades works.

Also I have to admit that it was just Scout report and I chose option to scout Sancho until full knowledge. But while I'm posting this I check out on other players that been full scouted and they also have 3 different grades.

2 hours ago, Sherkey said:

If you're looking in your shortlist, it's a combination of scout + analyst report, so the average would be around 64-70. Hover over it, you'll see the report numbers separately. Or go to their profile, it should show the scout recommendation.

You're probably wright because on Shortlist it appears Scout grade plus Analyst grade and divided with 2 that makes recommendation grade.  

Additionally, people in their second season, any luck selling players like Fred/Bailly post the Brexit rules? I have an offer for 16 Mn for Fred in January season 1, just unsure whether to take it. Considering keeping Jones, he is surprisingly decent (and moves quicker than Maguire).

Edited by Sherkey

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Matic is probably too slow to play in the '2', been told that 12 should be the minimum to look for in pace and acceleration.

For a midfielder that just sitts in front of the defence, pace and acceleration are not vital, I would be more worried about his lack of stamina thought 

2 minutes ago, Falahk said:

For a midfielder that just sitts in front of the defence, pace and acceleration are not vital, I would be more worried about his lack of stamina thought 

It was actually Rashidi who told me this a while back. 12 is minimum for the top level because they cover more ground in a 4231.

4 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

4 hours ago, BigV said:

It's definitely a bug, here's Sancho for me.

The colour and recommendation are ranking him as very highly rated, but the number is showing 48.

image.png.243f2942e915b0e2403728906b2c547d.png

Clicking on his profile shows the number as 92 though, which is obviously correct.

image.thumb.png.8188a3812c128c7954bcf1461ddbe807.png

Also, when I sort by "scout recommendation" it shows him in the rightful place, although the number is wrong (note that Martinez's rating on that screen is wrong too, he's actually a 93.

image.thumb.png.9048ba2fa010dbd15e4f5fee79ee2870.png

Edited by Harryseaess

2 hours ago, Sherkey said:

Additionally, people in their second season, any luck selling players like Fred/Bailly post the Brexit rules? I have an offer for 16 Mn for Fred in January season 1, just unsure whether to take it. Considering keeping Jones, he is surprisingly decent (and moves quicker than Maguire).

Fred performed really well for me in the first season so I didn't bother trying to sell him. Can't get anyone to buy Bailly though.

Those ratings are a combination of the scout recommendation and the analyst recommendation. If you hover over the 48 in the scout report, you'll see the break down of both. I'd like it to show the scout recommendation as well, don't really care about the analyst recommendation.

I'm at the end of my first season and I can't get rid of the deadwood like Jones, Bailly, Fred or Matic. I brought in Sancho, Upamecano and Bentancur throughout the first season and all 3 did a very good job.

End of 2020/21 Season

Well that first season was a lot easier than I thought it would be...

Won the league with 101 points.

image.thumb.png.12d7a73abeb8824a71233d2997a6a75e.png

Knocked out in the CL Quarter Final by Liverpool on away goals, knocked out in the FA Cup 3rd Round by Leeds and knocked out in the League Cup Quarter Final by Crewe.

Transfers In:

image.png.ff7824a9640c6abbfbdba76ba0521e61.png

Transfers Out:

image.png.1c2a5cf92a01272231cf79faf8f25fe1.png

As well as a number of loans.

Squad Performance:

image.thumb.png.36f10648cb1f384db2a4f1a2cb967dd0.png

Standout Performers:

image.thumb.png.a7ca4170d47313224b204f64d4ab47df.png

image.thumb.png.d7611d9a9cf8d9f07012080f18ef9b83.png

image.thumb.png.40d33d27abdb2f10e5e88fe5a50f3a34.png

image.thumb.png.f16b31ba7a165f2c4b383dddae1c10d8.png

image.thumb.png.fe91bcd0b11c57c2dce2f7c04bcf11da.png

image.thumb.png.104fc487c7eabbb4e1888ca032297735.png

Edited by Harryseaess

On 13/11/2020 at 18:06, Joao Arq said:

Martial is a beast in this game. Late november of first season and he scored 3 hat-tricks playing as Advanced Forward. I'm using 4231 and 433 based on vertical tiki-taka. Total of 13 goals for the frenchman. Cavani has 7 goals as rotation option.

4231 sometimes with Bruno as AMR - Advanced Playmaker and Beek as AMC - Enganche/Advanced midfielder changing positions since Greenwood picked an injury (7 weeks out, returning on early december). Mata came as rotation with the duo. 

I'm looking for Max Aarons as a offensive option for Wan-Bissaka and don't decided yet about a CB, a DM and one offensive option (maybe Sancho or Grealish). 

Not a fan of Laird? 

6 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah and in general too really. I'm definitely waiting for the official release date as I'm another person who isn't happy with Alphonso Davies' attributes, how they haven't been upgraded much is beyond me. De Gea has worsened yeah, at least. 

Yeah 4231 is the formation I'll almost certainly go with, although I tend to disable first window budgets so would be struggling for the right pairing in the 1st half of the 1st season, especially for depth. Literally only Fred, McTominay and Pogba are viable options as part of the '2'. Garner is another option but obviously is on loan to Watford. Matic is probably too slow to play in the '2', been told that 12 should be the minimum to look for in pace and acceleration.

Same

I think you'll be alright in midfield, could always use matic as a LCM on defend so he doesnt go too forward allowing likes of pogba/fred/mctominay to be the BBM or playmaker, maybe even MEZ cause then you have AWB that sits deeper. From what i'e seen so far is greenwood does really well out on the right more so upfront in first few seasons- could use back up formations like the 433 or 5212 with your strikers being used 

Also is everyone buying Marcus Edwards cause he's English and has a pretty decent player? :lol: 

Seen alot of people buy him, especially in united saves on twitch and YT and harry, great replacement for lingard really and is versatile in the attacking third, only downside is hes only left footed

Immediately went undefeated in my first season in the PL, so there goes that challenge... Knocked out in the CL in the semi finals by Atletico Madrid: lost 3-2 in Spain, 2-2 at Old Trafford.  Knocked on of the Carabao Cup in the 4th round by West Ham on penalties, with my 2nd string, and out of the FA Cup on penalties in the 5th round against Leicester.

image.thumb.png.aa21c26c4a8ab649a94789f947fb35c6.png

This was my tactic by the way, but still not sure about the roles on the wings. An out and out winger doesn't seem to work as I'd like it, also with crosses still not 100% fixed (for me at least, could be the tactic as well)

image.png.31fa6f4d2962466a1271c410cb501033.png

Got in Donnarumma on a free (just like everybody it seems) and Haaland for his release clause fee for next season. Might sell Pogba if he doesn't want to sign a new contract, no idea who'll replace him though.

18 minutes ago, BigV said:

Also is everyone buying Marcus Edwards cause he's English and has a pretty decent player? :lol: 

Seen alot of people buy him, especially in united saves on twitch and YT and harry, great replacement for lingard really and is versatile in the attacking third, only downside is hes only left footed

He's a no brainer really.

I paid £15.75m, 21 years old, English, great stats. Like you say, his only weakness is that he is only left footed.

Edited by Harryseaess

4 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

He's a no brainer really.

I paid £15.75m, 21 years old, English, great stats. Like you say, his only weakness is that he is only left footed.

Same reasoning here really. Wanted a rotation option on the right side to go with Greenwood, and I didn't want it to be Lingard or Mata, while I developed Diallo and Pellistri. Turns out Diallo has just been ready to go from the start and has sort of unseated Edwards as the rotation option, but shouldn't be too hard to sell him for a chunk of profit if I need to. Just seems like he's a reasonable target for United saves this year in general.

Anybody found a good Centre back partner for Maguire? Signed Pepe from Porto in first window for £1.8million and been surprisingly good. Trying to get Mengi up to that level but think I need another option as well. 

About 10 games into season 2 and 2nd behind Liverpool. Signed Neymar, Grealish and Nuno Mendes to replace Martial, Shaw and Pogba. Really enjoying game so far just struggling to choose a centre back and a box to box mid if anyone has got any recommendations??

D78071E4-B311-402B-853D-150EFF585433.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Billy0810 said:

Anybody found a good Centre back partner for Maguire? Signed Pepe from Porto in first window for £1.8million and been surprisingly good. Trying to get Mengi up to that level but think I need another option as well. 

About 10 games into season 2 and 2nd behind Liverpool. Signed Neymar, Grealish and Nuno Mendes to replace Martial, Shaw and Pogba. Really enjoying game so far just struggling to choose a centre back and a box to box mid if anyone has got any recommendations??

Luiz Felipe has been great for me, I got him for £29m, absolute bargain.

21 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Luiz Felipe has been great for me, I got him for £29m, absolute bargain.

He’s at Liverpool in my save just joined for £29m. Thinking I might try and get Wan Bissaka trained up there and maybe sign Aarons for rb. Pau Torres looks good though. 

Word of advice for everyone, don’t sign Neymar!! £75m and he’s not scored in 6 games and then been out for 8 weeks

23 minutes ago, Billy0810 said:

He’s at Liverpool in my save just joined for £29m. Thinking I might try and get Wan Bissaka trained up there and maybe sign Aarons for rb. Pau Torres looks good though. 

Word of advice for everyone, don’t sign Neymar!! £75m and he’s not scored in 6 games and then been out for 8 weeks

Why sign Aarons when Williams and Laird are both at the club, right footed and really highly rated?

38 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Why sign Aarons when Williams and Laird are both at the club, right footed and really highly rated?

I'd rather look at a replacement for Shaw as well. He's injured way too often, so if you want to give Telles a rest, you regularly are playing a right-footed player at left back. Looks like there's plenty of choice at right back though, with AWB, Williams, Laird and Dalot once he gets back from loan.

@Harryseaess Interesting to see you used Van De Beek as part of the '2', something I said I wouldn't do :D What role do you use him in? I would imagine the fullback on that side is more conservative? His 7 for positioning and low physicals puts me off using him there tbh, but who knows, maybe I'm placing too much importance on positioning, as it seems Telles has done amazingly well for you also :lol:

Am I the only one here who disables first window budgets? Feels slightly unrealistic to add signings on top of what of the deals made irl by the club. Definitely short on CM's to begin with, although if people are using Van De Beek and Matic in the '2' then maybe it's not as bad as first feared for the 1st season. 

Aarons is pretty sweet and hes the complete wing back, although im sure you can train AWB to attack or at least be good on the ball, aarons is already well made more so than laird but probably slightly higher than williams. Williams for shaw though, shaw will be one i ship out in pre season/hoping to. 

As for VDB, dlp defend or support, BBM and mez would suit him quite well if not in rotation to bruno. He can fit that "carrick" role, cm-support would be decent but I dont think many use cm role, as Gee said his positioning is worrysome so you'd want him further up or at least utilising his work rate and movement with his passing, whats his tackling 13? that would seem realistic 

3 hours ago, BigV said:

Same

I think you'll be alright in midfield, could always use matic as a LCM on defend so he doesnt go too forward allowing likes of pogba/fred/mctominay to be the BBM or playmaker, maybe even MEZ cause then you have AWB that sits deeper. From what i'e seen so far is greenwood does really well out on the right more so upfront in first few seasons- could use back up formations like the 433 or 5212 with your strikers being used 

@BigV

Yeah see that's the thing, I think I sometimes take things I read from the experts like Rashidi etc as gospel and the only worthy opinion in a way, which isn't right at all. Everyone has different views on the game and what's required for roles etc. I agree regarding those other shapes as backups, could work but I want to get my main one right first of all. Yep I see Greenwood as a RWF at the moment just like he's used in real life just now when used in a 4231, whereas before I saw him strictly as a striker. 

My problem is I'm useless at creating tactics, then spotting when things are going wrong, I don't have a tactical brain at all and don't have a 100% idea of how I actually want to play or even expect to see, I'm a tactical noob basically which has stopped me from getting into proper save in the past. Been a football fan my whole life but will admit I have only ever watched it for entertainment purposes and never looked at it tactically, I also used to rely on downloaded exploit tactics when I was young playing FM, so I have barely any experience creating my own.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

35 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

@Harryseaess Interesting to see you used Van De Beek as part of the '2', something I said I wouldn't do :D What role do you use him in? I would imagine the fullback on that side is more conservative? His 7 for positioning and low physicals puts me off using him there tbh, but who knows, maybe I'm placing too much importance on positioning, as it seems Telles has done amazingly well for you also :lol:

Am I the only one here who disables first window budgets? Feels slightly unrealistic to add signings on top of what of the deals made irl by the club. Definitely short on CM's to begin with, although if people are using Van De Beek and Matic in the '2' then maybe it's not as bad as first feared for the 1st season. 

My go to first team and tactic last year was the below:

image.png.8540173ea0b9e46e35012ae8eb20fc69.png

Fabian started the season in the BBM role but VDB soon took his spot.

Occasionally I'd play VDB as the DLP and Fabian/Pogba as the BBM

1 hour ago, duvels said:

I'd rather look at a replacement for Shaw as well. He's injured way too often, so if you want to give Telles a rest, you regularly are playing a right-footed player at left back. Looks like there's plenty of choice at right back though, with AWB, Williams, Laird and Dalot once he gets back from loan.

I’ve sold Shaw to Roma so I’ve got Telles and Nuno Mendes on the left and Wan Bissaka and Williams on the right. Laird doesn’t seem that good on my save and tbh I’d completely forgot about Dalot. He’s just sat in my reserves think I’ll probs sell him in January if I can. There’s Jurado as well in the academy who looks promising

Telles is amazing in game. 

1 hour ago, Billy0810 said:

I’ve sold Shaw to Roma so I’ve got Telles and Nuno Mendes on the left and Wan Bissaka and Williams on the right. Laird doesn’t seem that good on my save and tbh I’d completely forgot about Dalot. He’s just sat in my reserves think I’ll probs sell him in January if I can. There’s Jurado as well in the academy who looks promising

Telles is amazing in game. 

I've had the same experience with Laird, didn't turn out to be looking that good for me. Which is unfortunate, but I'll keep him around for a bit anyway and see what comes of him. I also completely forgot about Dalot, he's off at Bayern on a loan right now, hoping they make a permanent offer at some point. I'm retraining AWB to play CB, similar to what United have done with Shaw in real life in the past year or so. As far as your search for a CB partner for Maguire, (not to sound like I'm being repetitive throughout the thread) but Ben White has been great for me, well overperforming.

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

@BigV

Yeah see that's the thing, I think I sometimes take things I read from the experts like Rashidi etc as gospel and the only worthy opinion in a way, which isn't right at all. Everyone has different views on the game and what's required for roles etc. I agree regarding those other shapes as backups, could work but I want to get my main one right first of all. Yep I see Greenwood as a RWF at the moment just like he's used in real life just now when used in a 4231, whereas before I saw him strictly as a striker. 

My problem is I'm useless at creating tactics, then spotting when things are going wrong, I don't have a tactical brain at all and don't have a 100% idea of how I actually want to play or even expect to see, I'm a tactical noob basically which has stopped me from getting into proper save in the past. Been a football fan my whole life but will admit I have only ever watched it for entertainment purposes and never looked at it tactically, I also used to rely on downloaded exploit tactics when I was young playing FM, so I have barely any experience creating my own.

I've done the same in the past and im much more in the opposite end of you, i tend to look deeper in stats and take the tactical approach rather than the man management way. The best way to do it is the way you have before and see why they work over some that dont. I'd also suggest looking at extended highlights than key highlights to see how your players play during a chance/goal.

The roles provide more of the way you see your team play, its all about what you want- e.g. possession= good passers, vision, pace and finishing with good mentals, counter= pace, tempo, workrate, tackling, passing/vision etc.

Start off very simple, so pick your 4231 then pick roles based on how they look, then add few intructions to what you want to see and how you win the ball/transition/defend, you tend to pick up on stuff and see where things arent happening and how a click on something changes- i jumped from 17 to 19 and was overwhelmed but if you take the time making friendlies and testing few instructions with roles that suit players then it comes to you naturally.

Realistically speaking the VDB dilema isnt one cause he can play most of the roles the same ability, it just has to fit him and the game- against a defensive team probably a mez/dlp/ap, top team probably dlp-d or BBM to add some stability

Having thought a lot about it, I think I will do a Manchester United save as my first one on fm21, I have not played this team since Moyes was manager and the squad is pretty much perfect for recreating the Cruyff diamond I used with Fenerbache a long time ago, will probably be an other couple of weeks befor I can start things off thoght, since I need to buy a new laptop 

Anyway here's a short summary of how I'm planning to set the team up:

GK: gk/defend 

Honestly not sure who to keep here, but I'm leaning towards starting Henderson and keep Grant as a backup for a year while I train one of the youth team gk's to be back up long term

LB: Fullback/support 

This is an other tricky position, Telles is an amazing attacking fullback, but I kinda need someone who is a bit more capable defensively, so both Shaw and Rojo could end up starting here if they can stay fit

CB: Libero/attack 

Maguire will start here, while both Lindelöf and Tuanzebe can be moved here from rb to provide cover if needed 

RB: Fullback/support 

Lindelöf will be first choice here and Tuanzebe the back up, Wan Bissaka can also provide cover in case of an injury crisis but I'm intending to play him higher up the pitch since his jumping attribute is a bit lacking 

DMC: Anchorman/defend

I'm a bit reluctant to play Fred as first choice since he is not very good in the air and I'm not sure if I Matic have the fitness and stamina to play all the time 

MCL: Advanced playmaker/attack 

Van De Beek will start here, while Fred is a decent back up, Mata if I end up keeping him could also play here 

MCC: central midfielder/attack 

Pogba will be amazing here, while Lingard have similar attributes to Alper Potuk, so he should do fine as the back up 

MCR: Ballwining midfielder/support 

McTominay is exactly the type of player I need here, but there's no similar midfielder in the squad so this is probably the only position I have to bring in a new player for, in a worst case scenario i could retrain Phil Jones to play here.....but let's be fair I'd rather bring someone else in 

AML: Insideforward/attack 

With Rashford and Martial I should be fine here for years to come 

AMR: Winger/support 

Bruno will be my man here, while Wan Bissaka will provide something slightly different as the back up 

STC: pressing forward/support 

For the first couple of seasons Cavani will be starting with Grenwood as the back up, long-term I need to find a tall, strong forward with some ability on the ball to replace Cavani

This brings us to transfers and what I will look to do  in the first window:

It's clear to me that I need atleast one midfielder, possibly two if I sell Matic, the players I have had my eyes on since last year's game are: Marten de Roon, Declan Rice and Isaac Hayden

The following players are surplus to requirements: 2 out of the 4 first team goalkeepers, Daniel James, Phil Jones, Eric Bailly and Fosu Mensah, and then there's a strong maybe on Mata and Matic 

I'm in a 4-2-4 and van de Beek is decent in a 2. He isn't anything exceptional for me, and honestly, could sell him in Season 2 or 3. 

How are people getting Donnarumma to sign on a free? I'm in January and he doesn't even want to discuss a pre-contract with me (although he is interested if I make a transfer offer, so I reckon it could be a bug). Did get Pogba to sign a new contract though, so that's good.

Shaw has been pretty bad as a Wing back on support, and I may honestly look to offload him (despite being English and HGC). Considering who to get in place of him, wanted someone English, but unlikely there's any good young LB available. (well, maybe Jamal Lewis, but dunno if Newcastle will let him leave cheaply). Not too big a fan of using Williams on the left, but push comes to shove, may have to do that to accommodate Dalot/Laird).

Marcus Edwards is an excellent shout, thanks to folks over here. He had slipped my notice, may look to get him. My defence is mostly set with Skriniar (and Lindelof to partner him). Was looking at Kimpembe to play on the left, lets see. Considering Yusuf Demir as a striker to rotate (for next season) while trying to see if Dybala would be interested.

Offloading Fred, Bailly, one of Jones/Maguire, Shaw in the new season (along with mostly letting Cavani and MAta's contract run down). As of now top of the league, hopefully that means if I finish there,  I get a decent budget in the second season.

8 hours ago, Billy0810 said:

Skriniar or Kimpembe both look like beasts and aren't too expensive (atleast in S1). Dunno in season 2, but both seem fantastic.

Go box to box, I'm not sure. I use Bruno, and he is fantastic. I would look Milinkovic Savic if you have the money though.

19 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

Apparently Donnarumma only sometimes refuses to sign a contract, dependent on Milan's performance that season

Damn. Still strange, they're 7th and he should be looking to move. (he is open to discussing, just when I pay a transfer fee, but not on a free transfer. Gah)

Also, basis what I was reading in the Data Update thread, both Telles and Cavani will get a slight downgrade for the full version of the game, as they seem and perform a bit too good than normal.