Roles for CM's in a 3-4-1-2

I'm playing a beta save now with Man City and i would like some help for my central midfield duo, i am currently playing KDB as a DLP-S and i would like to know what role would be good to be paired with. I was thinking Rodri as another DLP-S but i've heard before that it's not recommendable to use two playmakers on a tactic, especially if they are so close to each other.

Capturar.PNG.220c5e6b01ce4e3a4da5ffa9755a98e8.PNG

The best thing to do is ask what you expect of this player? What do you think his job should be? And that will guide you in the role. 

For me, you are going to want a player who can act as some kind of defensive screen for the defence and also who can act as a pivot who you can use to keep possession and support the attacking play.

Based on that, I would try a CM(S) or CM(D) first, and see how it goes. If the player is doing what you want, great. If not, try something else. A carrilero could also be an option if you want him to drift wide laterally. 

I've recently switched to a 3-4-2-1 on my FM20 save with a lot of success. My CMs are a DLP (S) and BWM (S), but then again I have my wingers on support too. Given your wingers are on attack I'd probably go with a CM(D) or BWM(D). Or perhaps change KDB into a different role and use the other midfield role as a DLP (D)

I am more concerned about your wide midfield roles and - especially - duties than anything else.

Plus, using a playmaker in front of a libero makes the latter considerably less effective (as does the use of BPDs alongside him). Do not use any role just for the sake of using it. I appreciate that a role such as libero sounds "exotic", but every tactical decision you make needs to have a clear logic behind it. 

roma352_zpsd6ac0db6.PNG.e184941357911594c7624a2ac3e3999b.PNG

I was about to question your choice of wide players, then I looked at a screenshot from when I used this formation on an older fm.... 

That being said, I do think KDB's attacking potential will be a bit wasted in a static role like dlp, he should probably be in contention for the amc spot, while rodri and fernandinho play in mc

Playing 3 at the back with your wide mids on attack is no problem. It looks too attacking on paper so people don't like it when they see it, but in game it gives the closest representation of how real 3 at the back systems play. I would use a DM, but that's just me. If you don't want to use a DM, a CM-D should do the trick.

8 hours ago, RocheBag said:

Playing 3 at the back with your wide mids on attack is no problem. It looks too attacking on paper so people don't like it when they see it, but in game it gives the closest representation of how real 3 at the back systems play. I would use a DM, but that's just me. If you don't want to use a DM, a CM-D should do the trick.

Must say I have not tried this on current game but I find when playing a back three role other than Defensive Wingers in the midfield strata just don't work hard enough in defence and wide centre backs are too easily pulled out of position. It may be different for a dominant City side against a weaker side but in an even match up I've never managed to make it work. 

It's an extremely aggressive setup as a whole. The very best thing that team needs for balance is a CM(D) to just sit, break up play, keep the ball ticking over and being a sensible out-ball. A DLP(S) & CM(D) is a solid pair, which will help account for your aggressive, lone wide players.

In terms of your wide players, my rule of thumb for lone wide men is - the higher they start, the lower their duty should be. You need these wide players to track back as they are lone wide men. A Winger-Attack is going to have very little inclination to actually defend. As a consequence, your centre backs will get pulled wide a lot (especially as stoppers), leaving the centre more exposed. You'll be very vulnerable to a switch of play on the counter. By having your lone wide men either a duty less (i.e. support), or moving them back, their defensive position and behaviour in transition will be better.

20 hours ago, JPKD said:

Must say I have not tried this on current game but I find when playing a back three role other than Defensive Wingers in the midfield strata just don't work hard enough in defence and wide centre backs are too easily pulled out of position. It may be different for a dominant City side against a weaker side but in an even match up I've never managed to make it work. 

I've actually had more success with it as the underdog sitting back and hitting on the counter than as the favorite.