The importance of a great GK?

Djimmi

The elite goal keepers of FM 2009 cost quite a lot so I was wondering if there's any noticeable difference in the number of goals conceeded between having an elite GK (eg. Peter Cech), a very good GK (eg. Joe Hart) or a really bad one?

Could be an interesting experiment if someone would carry it out. Play with an average goalie for a season and then play with a WC golaie such as Casillas with the same team and see the difference.

IMO having a superior goalie does have a massive impact in FM as I have experienced when the opposition GK has a 'wonder' game saving everything.

Joe Hart is probably the best British youngster. I've just bought a young Spaniard for about £7M, I think his name is something like Solerjo but I'm not sure on that spelling, he plays for Spain under 20's and he's doing well for me but he's only had a few games.

Definatly very important, in most cases he is the difference between winning and losing a match. If you have 10 shots on goal and your opponant has 10 shots on goal, chances are the team with the better goalkeeper will concede fewer and therefore win the match.

I found it's not that important, so far I've managed two teams with old, but experienced GKs that do a very good job: Robinson and Green. Both are far from world class, but managed to make amazing saves many times for me, especially Green who only plays with just two DCs supporting him. Before shelling out tens of millions on a young 'world-class" GK, consider an experienced 29-30 year old, who is much better value for the money.

My strikers have no problem scoring against the likes of Peter Cech, Joe Hart, Mandananda etc.

I found it's not that important, so far I've managed two teams with old, but experienced GKs that do a very good job: Robinson and Green. Both are far from world class, but managed to make amazing saves many times for me, especially Green who only plays with just two DCs supporting him. Before shelling out tens of millions on a young 'world-class" GK, consider an experienced 29-30 year old, who is much better value for the money.

My strikers have no problem scoring against the likes of Peter Cech, Joe Hart, Mandananda etc.

im bolton at the moment and jussi jaaskelainen is playing out of his skin at the moment

I am experiencing the same problem. Im Man utd and in my 2nd season, VDS is clearly passed it, i signed asenjo and although hes going to be world class seems to be struggling the same for Foster although he is better. Im thinking of james for 450k.

Any recc? ? ? ?

I've been looking carefully, and at times it seems a veteran keeper, between 30 - 35 is far better than almost any keeper who is in his 20's, especially before 26/27 as they just seem to make some daft mistakes which these older keepers don't make.

Sergio Solenjo - I've just signed him at the beginning of the second season for £7.25M, and he's forcing Shay Given out of the first team already, what's more, the lads only 20! Will definitely be a leading Prem keeper, he's simply awesome. I'll post his attributes once I remember how to do it :S

Archived