Do you want the full release to be harder than the beta?

Do you want the full release to be harder than the beta?   

510 members have voted

1. 1. This is a genuine question, as from reading the forum this year, it seems that FM21 is even easier than previous versions, and they were already very easy to either win the league every single season with a half-decent team or get six promotions in eight seasons with any lower-league team, both of which are unrealistic.

• Yes, the game is too easy for me, with any team, and would be more fun for the full release to be harder and offer a challenge
    • No, the game is too easy, but I'm happy to overachieve as it's just a game
    • No, the game isn't too easy and I can't win the league every single season with a half-decent team or get six promotions in eight seasons with any lower-league team

9 minutes ago, swippy said:

Maybe this is all the consequence of high press tactics being vastly overpowered and easily implementable with any kind of players. You can pick the worst team in the lowest division of a country and just click "Higher LOE", "Higher Line of Defense" and "More Urgent pressing". And you will overachieve massively.

Can you though? Again, not read the whole thread back, however the last few examples were Liverpool, Kobenhavn & Rangers. Anyone won the SPL in the first season with a +85 goal difference with Hamilton?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, dannysheard said:

Why would I make it up? I'm a 42-year old dad of three; I'm a bit past coming onto a forum to make things up.

I'm not suggesting that you are making things up & I apologise if thats what came across. I was just saying that some people on forums do make things up without providing proof. Personally I'm playing as Man United and I am struggling big time even though I've been playing the game since it was called Championship Manager in the early 90's. I think its a bit harder this year.

A quick reminder, your coaches badges and specially your experience are the initial difficulty adjustments.

Try to manage Manchester United with Sunday league experience, your players will be crybabies and will laught at your team talks. On the other hand, start with max experience with a low league team, your players will adore you and will listen to whatever you tell them.

Also your initial mental attributes and how do you assign them play a factor.

- Start with only 1 bar in young and senior knowledge and the player search screen will show much less players so you need to relay more in your scouts.

- Start with only 1 bar in discipline and your players will complain to you much more.

- Start with 1 bar in determination and your team board will concede less request to you.

- Start with 1 bar in man management and your players will react worse to the chats with you.

I always role play in my games so when I create my manager, I decide if I want to be a hand of iron high discipline coach, or a friendly manager etc so I adapt my attributes that way as well, and then act like that.

Edited by Icy

I like the new ME a lot, finally it looks like real football. But I find the beta way too easy as well.   

Watford save:

1st season - No money at start. Won the Championship and broke the points record. Lost two games in the league.

2nd season - Finished 4th in the Prem with the same squad essentially.

Current season - Invested 100m and sitting 2nd after half the season and topped my group in the Champions.

I'm not using any custom tactics or overpowered 3-man attack or anything. 4-1-4 straight out the box on Positive at home and Cautious away. Started at National reputation and Continental A license.

Away teams are trash in the beta. Very common they have 0 chances against me at home. They need to improve away team play for the full release.

Also, another thing that makes the game too easy is that despite my crazy overachievement and surplus of wonderkids, I've had one unsolicited bid in 2,5 seasons. That's not realistic. I should have been raided by now and have a squad of grumpy entitled brats who all want new contracts or move on to bigger pastures. But no, very little of that so far. 

The above would have not been possible on FM20 (which was already too easy).

Edited by freddieos

5 minutes ago, freddieos said:

Also, another thing that makes the game too easy is that despite my crazy overachievement and surplus of wonderkids,

Struggling here - maybe I am misunderstanding.  If you're squad is filled with shed loads of wonderkids then are you actually overachieving? Is the issue not that you are able to build a surplus of wonderkids inside 2 seasons with Watford?

4 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Struggling here - maybe I am misunderstanding.  If you're squad is filled with shed loads of wonderkids then are you actually overachieving? Is the issue not that you are able to build a surplus of wonderkids inside 2 seasons with Watford?

Sure, after 2,5 years of playing and training some of Watford's good young players, they have turned into really good players. But they are not elite or world-class and there are 10 teams in the Prem that have whole squads of those type of players. I have 4-5 on the verge and the rest 3 star players. 

All I'm saying is that compared to FM19 and FM20, the beta is way too easy. Mostly because away teams suck I think. 

5 minutes ago, freddieos said:

Sure, after 2,5 years of playing and training some of Watford's good young players, they have turned into really good players. But they are not elite or world-class and there are 10 teams in the Prem that have whole squads of those type of players. I have 4-5 on the verge and the rest 3 star players. 

All I'm saying is that compared to FM19 and FM20, the beta is way too easy. Mostly because away teams suck I think. 

Ok got you - I misunderstood what you were saying and thought you'd bought in a load of "known" wonderkids.  Things would become quite easy at that point 😂

As I've said before, I'm not far enough into a save to comment really. Interesting to see how others are getting on.

50 minutes ago, Icy said:

A quick reminder, your coaches badges and specially your experience are the initial difficulty adjustments.

Try to manage Manchester United with Sunday league experience, your players will be crybabies and will laught at your team talks. On the other hand, start with max experience with a low league team, your players will adore you and will listen to whatever you tell them.

Also your initial mental attributes and how do you assign them play a factor.

- Start with only 1 bar in young and senior knowledge and the player search screen will show much less players so you need to relay more in your scouts.

- Start with only 1 bar in discipline and your players will complain to you much more.

- Start with 1 bar in determination and your team board will concede less request to you.

- Start with 1 bar in man management and your players will react worse to the chats with you.

I always role play in my games so when I create my manager, I decide if I want to be a hand of iron high discipline coach, or a friendly manager etc so I adapt my attributes that way as well, and then act like that.

When you have to do all these extremes just to get somewhat of a challenge then the game is easy...

I play strategy games, and when i say strategy i mean not useless attack the base mobile games.

In every game i played i saw that uman mind will always be better than a commercial AI. In some of the games i played, AI was able to bring more threats to me only because it had a good advantage bonus (my ship deals 3 damage, its 5). 

Our tactics will always be better than AI ones, and we have a great adavntage: we always see he big picture. Every FM game for me is a steamrolling experience: you start with your team, buy the correct players, increase the level of the structure and bang! after 10 years you sit on a lot of money with 24 balon d'or regens.  I am aware of this, and i like to play 3/4 yaers before changing team or starting a new career.

SI can try to spend a lot of money and set up a learning AI, making us pay more than 50 € for the game, or we can try to relax and play a game. If you want more difficulty, try to change team every 2 years.

I created my own tactic (4-4-2 very asimetric), set up everything, never watched a wonderkid list (i only bought wonderkids that i know, like tonali or isak), never reloaded a game. How many people use a special formation, buy all wonderkids, reload or modify the save?

Edited by RioImmagina

18 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I never do anything like this but its an example of an exploit that makes the game easy. What if i genuinely made an offer to a youth player at the right time before they've got signed?  It would result in a super easy signing of a great youth player.

So, what's the exploit?

The part where youngsters are not instantly on professional contracts? That you can sign players not on a professional contract on compensation alone? That players from a smaller country/club will be very interested in getting a fat contract at your club?

Basically you're saying that Chelsea is exploiting (and basically any other top club to be honest, just Chelsea tends to get the most flak for it).

If there's an exploit here it's that youth development is way too easy due to various factors, but that part has very little to do with what that video shows and is not actually an exploit.

Oh and if you don't use these kind of tricks, why do they bother you and make the game too easy for you in the first place?

10 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

So, what's the exploit?

The part where youngsters are not instantly on professional contracts? That you can sign players not on a professional contract on compensation alone? That players from a smaller country/club will be very interested in getting a fat contract at your club?

Basically you're saying that Chelsea is exploiting (and basically any other top club to be honest, just Chelsea tends to get the most flak for it).

If there's an exploit here it's that youth development is way too easy due to various factors, but that part has very little to do with what that video shows and is not actually an exploit.

Oh and if you don't use these kind of tricks, why do they bother you and make the game too easy for you in the first place?

Except it's not smaller country teams...

40 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

When you have to do all these extremes just to get somewhat of a challenge then the game is easy...

It's not an extreme. It's a realistic input into a simulation game. I am not a former professional footballer nor do I have coaching badges. Therefore, if I choose to select those realistic options, I pick a club at the bottom end or start unemployed.

If I wanted to start as Man United and still chose no badges and Sunday league experience, I would struggle. That is literally the difficulty setting people are crying out on this thread for. 

Kind of feel SI can't win here. There are in built options to set difficulty levels but people think they are extreme.

The match engine is finally considered realistic by most, yet people are still so desperate to win that they're downloading tactics.

If you want it to be a realistic challenge, play realistically. I want a realistic challenge, so I start at the bottom, build my own tactics, don't look at potential ability, listen to my scouts and my staff, and learn from my mistakes. And lose games.

30 minutes ago, RioImmagina said:

I play strategy games, and when i say strategy i mean not useless attack the base mobile games.

In every game i played i saw that uman mind will always be better than a commercial AI. In some of the games i played, AI was able to bring more threats to me only because it had a good advantage bonus (my ship deals 3 damage, its 5). 

Our tactics will always be better than AI ones, and we have a great adavntage: we always see he big picture. Every FM game for me is a steamrolling experience: you start with your team, buy the correct players, increase the level of the structure and bang! after 10 years you sit on a lot of money with 24 balon d'or regens.  I am aware of this, and i like to play 3/4 yaers before changing team or starting a new career.

SI can try to spend a lot of money and set up a learning AI, making us pay more than 50 € for the game, or we can try to relax and play a game. If you want more difficulty, try to change team every 2 years.

I created my own tactic (4-4-2 very asimetric), set up everything, never watched a wonderkid list (i only bought wonderkids that i know, like tonali or isak), never reloaded a game. How many people use a special formation, buy all wonderkids, reload or modify the save?

Or SI can fix things like AI playing way too defensive in majority of its games.

You pretty much agree that the game is easy even though you don't use exploits (like majority of the people in the thread) and I'm guessing you make it challenging by switching clubs every 2 years...

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Freakiie:

So, what's the exploit?

I am not sure if you just can buy wonderkids in fm21 and just wait and see how they improve.  It was mentioned from miles on twitter, that very talented youngsters demand playing-time much more than before. So they get unhappy quicker and ask you to leave the club.  Jadon Sancho as example. I haven't tested this feature yet but it sounds good in terms of squad building-difficulty.

Cheers

Daveincid

6 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

No. I like it just fine.

Nice challenge for me. Danish third tier without gegenpress or three strikers. Marvelous.

Your real life team got me the sack when I could only draw 1-1 at home to them with Sittard. Just thought you should know :lol:

17 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

They are. It's just that almost everyone is ok with it.

1 minute ago, Junkhead said:

It's not an extreme. It's a realistic input into a simulation game. I am not a former professional footballer nor do I have coaching badges. Therefore, if I choose to select those realistic options, I pick a club at the bottom end or start unemployed.

If I wanted to start as Man United and still chose no badges and Sunday league experience, I would struggle. That is literally the difficulty setting people are crying out on this thread for. 

Kind of feel SI can't win here. There are in built options to set difficulty levels but people think they are extreme.

The match engine is finally considered realistic by most, yet people are still so desperate to win that they're downloading tactics.

If you want it to be a realistic challenge, play realistically. I want a realistic challenge, so I start at the bottom, build my own tactics, don't look at potential ability, listen to my scouts and my staff, and learn from my mistakes. And lose games.

Terrible point but ill play along.

If you know how to play the game, you still will win games. Rep and badges only effect how easy it is to lose the locker room and if you are winning easy because the game isn't challenging and aren't messing up team talks you still will not be challenged. Trust me I've been the top league manager with no badges...

7 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

No. I like it just fine.

Nice challenge for me. Danish third tier without gegenpress or three strikers. Marvelous.

But that's the thing! You shouldn't be able to play gegenpress in the danish third tier! Players should get tired faster, have to press poorly due to poor marking skills, leaving your field with plenty of spaces for the opposition to do nasty stuff.

The fact that we acknowledge that there are some tactics that works ALL the time it's a sign that something should be changed. In fact, SI acknowledged it by saying that players should get tired faster in FM21, which I see it's happening but not to make gegenpress less effective.

Again, I'm not saying "change the whole ME!". In fact, I love it! I just think the game needs some fine tuning before release: more proactive AI managers, a little more of fitness loss and some tweak with the through passes and how defenders react to them (maybe this is the most difficult thing to achieve). 

Just now, Nahuelzn said:

But that's the thing! You shouldn't be able to play gegenpress in the danish third tier! Players should get tired faster, have to press poorly due to poor marking skills, leaving your field with plenty of spaces for the opposition to do nasty stuff.

The fact that we acknowledge that there are some tactics that works ALL the time it's a sign that something should be changed. In fact, SI acknowledged it by saying that players should get tired faster in FM21, which I see it's happening but not to make gegenpress less effective.

Again, I'm not saying "change the whole ME!". In fact, I love it! I just think the game needs some fine tuning before release: more proactive AI managers, a little more of fitness loss and some tweak with the through passes and how defenders react to them (maybe this is the most difficult thing to achieve). 

Your point may be right. but I wouldn't know. I'm playing my way and enjoying it. I've noticed defenses are better this season, to the fact that I conceded only 18 goals one season. 

10 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

I am not sure if you just can buy wonderkids in fm21 and just wait and see how they improve.  It was mentioned from miles on twitter, that very talented youngsters demand playing-time much more than before. So they get unhappy quicker and ask you to leave the club.  Jadon Sancho as example. I haven't tested this feature yet but it sounds good in terms of squad building-difficulty.

Cheers

Daveincid

Personally I feel this will screw the AI over much more than the player. The players will tend to rotate their talented youngsters into their squads very early anyway, which will easily cover their playing time demands. Generally from what I've seen in their long term planning during contract negotiations, it's basically breakthrough prospect year 1 (so a couple subs), maybe fringe player year 2 (so maybe a starting appearance or two) and then they're 19 and with FM development speed at that point you'll have a solid player for easier matches and a pretty good idea whether the guy really is talented. Unless you truly try to poach entire youth intakes by approaching them the moment they are generated, I somewhat doubt you'd ever run into a situation where you can't give a talented youngster the minutes he's looking for.

Meanwhile the AI that just lets incredibly talented youngsters rot in the U19s? Yeah they're probably gonna have a bad day.

I'm going to summarise for us all, and then it's time to go to bed everyone:

- Lots of players find the game far too easy (either to win nearly every trophy every year as a decent team, or fly through the leagues as a lower-league team) and would like the developers of the game to address it

- Lots of players don't find the game too easy and don't want it addressed for the players that do find it easy because that will make them feel worse about their FM skills

- Every team you choose should represent a challenge. Liverpool don't win every trophy every year in real life (it's three or four in the last however many years), so they shouldn't be so easy to win with in the game

- We pay the developers to make the game for us, so we shouldn't have to arbitrarily sabotage our save to make it playable (only sign left-handed players)

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Freakiie:

Personally I feel this will screw the AI over much more than the player. The players will tend to rotate their talented youngsters into their squads very early anyway, which will easily cover their playing time demands. Generally from what I've seen in their long term planning during contract negotiations, it's basically breakthrough prospect year 1 (so a couple subs), maybe fringe player year 2 (so maybe a starting appearance or two) and then they're 19 and with FM development speed at that point you'll have a solid player for easier matches and a pretty good idea whether the guy really is talented. Unless you truly try to poach entire youth intakes by approaching them the moment they are generated, I somewhat doubt you'd ever run into a situation where you can't give a talented youngster the minutes he's looking for.

Meanwhile the AI that just lets incredibly talented youngsters rot in the U19s? Yeah they're probably gonna have a bad day.

fair point! Worth a test later:) I would write more about it but @dannysheard was pretty clear....good night everyone

Edited by Daveincid

I feel like every version can be easy depending how you play it.

On all versions i've played i can take teams up the leagues and dominate once the club has money as it is so much easier to find the best regen players than AI clubs and AI clubs generally buy and play players based on their reputations rather than ability.

Personally i'm not finding FM21 as easy as previous versions but thats only because i've started with a newly promoted team to the Conf North and i'm using scout reports only to find players which is making it harder than it would be if i used the search function or just signed players released by big clubs.

The problem with Beta though is that a lot of players seem to be picking a big club just for the Beta, they then sign the best wonderkids and bargain buys, then they download tactics that break the ME and then they complain that its too easy.

51 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Fixed that for you. 

Actually I think most people have been quite reasonable and open to what others have said for both sides. You seem to be dead set on your whole well I'm getting sacked and doing poorly so the match engine is perfectly fine schtick. Good luck with that 

I think what would be a big help, and it’s something that’s not being done, but those stating it’s too easy could do with uploading their saves/screenshots/tactics etc. This thread is four pages in and there’s about three screenshots.  

In the bug forum there’s nothing uploaded despite on numerous occasions the mods in here asking for that to be done. 

what is the actual point of stressing these things and then not uploading stuff to back it up?

And it’s been mentioned a few times but is there anyone out there smashing the Premier League with I dunno? Brighton? Leeds? who can upload a save and fully substantiate this claim. Having read what I’ve read I think people may have a slight point but it’s going to take a lot more to prove it than “I went unbeaten with Rangers and Man United”.. 

to people saying its humble bragging etc, just take any ****** team and set the generic gegenpress tactic 4231, you will win every game or almost, you'll def win any league. I got salford to championship without doing any signings , winning league 2 and 1 back to back, i holiday half of each season too cause so boring, done the same with some ****** portuguese team got to portugese leageu 1 yawn.

59 minutes ago, iownyou said:

I think what would be a big help, and it’s something that’s not being done, but those stating it’s too easy could do with uploading their saves/screenshots/tactics etc. This thread is four pages in and there’s about three screenshots.  

In the bug forum there’s nothing uploaded despite on numerous occasions the mods in here asking for that to be done. 

what is the actual point of stressing these things and then not uploading stuff to back it up?

And it’s been mentioned a few times but is there anyone out there smashing the Premier League with I dunno? Brighton? Leeds? who can upload a save and fully substantiate this claim. Having read what I’ve read I think people may have a slight point but it’s going to take a lot more to prove it than “I went unbeaten with Rangers and Man United”.. 

There's multiple threads in the bug forums with files uploaded...

43 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

There's multiple threads in the bug forums with files uploaded...

Erm no there isn’t. There’s like one or two threads and it’s just a short paragraph describing an easy save but then no context, no information, no uploads. 

3 hours ago, ma3 said:

to people saying its humble bragging etc, just take any ****** team and set the generic gegenpress tactic 4231, you will win every game or almost, you'll def win any league. I got salford to championship without doing any signings , winning league 2 and 1 back to back, i holiday half of each season too cause so boring, done the same with some ****** portuguese team got to portugese leageu 1 yawn.

This is what I don't get, you're complaining how boring/easy that was, yet you still continued to play that way for the best part of 3 seasons on each save? And I bet if I was to say change how you play then, you'll come back like the majority of the others and say you shouldn't have to just to make it harder, again that makes no sense!

The easiness of the game happens mostly because of the lack of intelligence from AI managers

Playing with big sides, you can play 90min with very high pressing, much high DL and LOE, attacking mentalities etc and you still are gonna conceed few goals, sometimes 0.5 per game in a full PL or Bundesliga season

Such thing that even Bayern last season didn't do it

I challenge someone to give me a print of a save where Bayern conceed that amount of goals:

Capturar.PNG.99ae42b8bb060764bf9f9360b14ea75c.PNG

Man City last season scored 102 goals and conceed 35, were they playing with a exploit tactic? No, they were just playing a very attacking football style, where they score a lot, but, also might conceed a lot too

Capturar.PNG.cba98f5c442547e81d7bf7da742b8027.PNG

This doesn't happen in FM18, there, if you play "very high pressing, much high DL and LOE, attacking mentalities etc" you can score a lot, but you will conceed a lot too, realistic.

Edited by h3nrique_SEP

6 hours ago, dominoes012 said:

Actually I think most people have been quite reasonable and open to what others have said for both sides. You seem to be dead set on your whole well I'm getting sacked and doing poorly so the match engine is perfectly fine schtick. Good luck with that 

This is completely the attitude of those that don't want anything to make the game harder...I don't find it easy, so you can't either.

Any other game where so many people find it so boringly easy would introduce some form of difficulty but people on here take it as a personal insult to them, rather than just an assessment of their FM skills.

1 hour ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

The easiness of the game happens mostly because of the lack of intelligence from AI managers

Playing with big sides, you can play 90min with very high pressing, much high DL and LOE, attacking mentalities etc and you still are gonna conceed few goals, sometimes 0.5 per game in a full PL or Bundesliga season

Such thing that even Bayern last season didn't do it

I challenge someone to give me a print of a save where Bayern conceed that amount of goals:

Capturar.PNG.99ae42b8bb060764bf9f9360b14ea75c.PNG

Man City last season scored 102 goals and conceed 35, were they playing with a exploit tactic? No, they were just playing a very attacking football style, where they score a lot, but, also might conceed a lot too

Capturar.PNG.cba98f5c442547e81d7bf7da742b8027.PNG

This doesn't happen in FM18, there, if you play "very high pressing, much high DL and LOE, attacking mentalities etc" you can score a lot, but you will conceed a lot too, realistic.

Okay up to a point, but Bayern still had the best defence in the league (and the best attack).

They also conceded 20 in the first 14 games, which means in the remaining 18 they conceded 12, which isn't far off the sort of numbers you were talking about. 

Liverpool conceded 22 in 38 in 18/19 (and 8 in their first 20) while employing the sort of tactics you mention. 

All of which is to say... we can all point to an example which proves or contradicts a point.

In general though, teams like Bayern, Liverpool and City are set up avoid conceding lots of goals by defending in the opposition half. An example of something more gung ho would be Liverpool in 13/14 where they scored over 100 goals but conceded 50.

7 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

This is completely the attitude of those that don't want anything to make the game harder...I don't find it easy, so you can't either.

Any other game where so many people find it so boringly easy would introduce some form of difficulty but people on here take it as a personal insult to them, rather than just an assessment of their FM skills.

Personally I'm trying to be balanced. I'm playing FM21 in the same way I played FM20 and I'm getting slightly worse results. That's me comparing against myself, rather than others.

The reason I posted it is really in response to those saying 'play any pressing tactic and you will win easily because it's literally untrue.

If there are issues and the game needs tweaking in certain places, I'm all for that.

9 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I think almost everyone wants the game to be realistically challenging.  I think the overall concern from those of us that aren't convinced that it is too easy is how things would be made more difficult.  If we're talking about improvements to AI tactics, squad building, etc, then fair enough.  My concern is that things would be inflated against the player which would not only kill the simulation/realism aspect but also result in people kicking off that the game is "unfair" - which happens just as much on the forum as anything else.

Also, these forums are quite a small sample size of the most dedicated FM players in the world.  If the casual gamer is picking the game up & getting hammered every week, they'll stop buying it and then SI won't be able to keep making it.  It is quite a difficult balance.

17 hours ago, Kingstontom88 said:

I don't think it's so much about making the game 'harder' - it's more improving the function of the AI, both in matches tactically and in squad building.

Exactly. I dont feel opposition teams reacting to my tactic changes, etc.

hace 10 horas, Mars_Blackmon dijo:

I gave you extreme changes so you could understand they are there for you to use if you want, just to prove that there are in game tools to make it harder. If you don't want to use them, then probably you won't want to use difficulty levels either if they are ever added to the game, as following your same way of thinking, it will be unrealistic to play the game in "very hard" while real managers play in "normal".

18 hours ago, Kingstontom88 said:

I don't think it's so much about making the game 'harder' - it's more improving the function of the AI, both in matches tactically and in squad building.

Indeed. This was quite nicely summed up in a short post as these two are one of the main issues with the lack of difficulty. 

The transfer market should be a real challenge at least in two ways: after a season, it should always be a challenge to keep hold of your best and most promising players and on the other hand it should be really hard to strengthen the squad. 

At the moment the transfer market is probably the easiest part in the game to be successful as the AI doesn't compete against you at all and because we have so strong tools that will list us the players that we can freely pick up.