Do you want the full release to be harder than the beta?

Do you want the full release to be harder than the beta?   

510 members have voted

1. 1. This is a genuine question, as from reading the forum this year, it seems that FM21 is even easier than previous versions, and they were already very easy to either win the league every single season with a half-decent team or get six promotions in eight seasons with any lower-league team, both of which are unrealistic.

• Yes, the game is too easy for me, with any team, and would be more fun for the full release to be harder and offer a challenge
    • No, the game is too easy, but I'm happy to overachieve as it's just a game
    • No, the game isn't too easy and I can't win the league every single season with a half-decent team or get six promotions in eight seasons with any lower-league team

What is interesting, though - I had the viewpoint last year that last years match engine was so bad because the aim was to produce realistic results, and the massively screwed up 1v1s and set pieces controlled all of that in spite of everything else.

Now it seems like they've fixed the conversion issues and set pieces being overpowered and now we're getting these results.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

IF SI would allow to increase the injuries-ratio from 80%, compared to real life back to 100%, the problem would already be much smaller....because of the intensive pressing-style a lot more players would end up being on the physio's table than on the pitch....but they made that because people were moaning about too many injuries...... A little change in the editor, problem solved.

Can you change that in the editor?

Gerade eben schrieb dannysheard:

Can you change that in the editor?

not exactly. That's why I hope SI would allow this. You can change the ratio which injuries happen how often, what I did for fm20. So you can't change the total amount of injuries, but which one happen how often. I increased the light ones and lowered some others a bit. If you increase especially the muscular injuries which happen ingame, you should struggle with the high intensive tactic.

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

And have you uploaded any of these saves to the bugs forum for investigation? You make a lot of noise about the game being too easy without actually being proactive in getting it looked into. 

Apologies, I haven’t kept every single one of my last 20 saves over the last five years.

Here’s some quick instructions for SI to investigate an easy game:

1. Start new game

2. Investigate it

24 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've argued this since the introduction of the gegenpress into FM - It has to be countered with players getting knackered or injured if managers persist on playing that style for 90 mins match on match. That's the biggest failing. Of course that approach is going to win games without that risk involved. Every team in the world would play this way constantly if there was no fear of burnout. 

If SI do this, they will be absolutely flooded with 'too many injuries' complaints, which has already, frustratingly, led them to reduce the injuries in game to 80% of real life, The sooner they put this back to close too 100% the better. These types of aggressive tactics need to have a consequence, otherwise there's no real strategy involved. 

100% agree on injuries at 100% and pressing teams getting knackered and being countered.

Ironically, the new fitness icons would hide this anyway as you can’t accurately tell how knackered your players are.

12 minutes ago, Piksi#10 said:

156 people voted for this option. It's not like we're talking about 3 or 4 people here.

The majority of people that actually play this game will not be signed up to this forum let alone vote in this poll. They'll be blissfully unaware of the discussions about the ME or the AI. This poll is asinine. 

3 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Apologies, I haven’t kept every single one of my last 20 saves over the last five years.

Here’s some quick instructions for SI to investigate an easy game:

1. Start new game

2. Investigate it

This is the answer I expected. 

11 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

But if a counter-attacking 4-4-2 tactic is an exploit, then that is a problem.

True.

Not as if there's any high profile examples of a club vastly outperforming their "status" using a counter attacking 4-4-2 in real life in recent times.

14 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

You play only with Liverpool. A team that has literally just won the league with record points. You also said in your other thread that you don't do manual training because you're tempted to rest everyone and game the system by being in better condition than the opposition.

If you have saves where you think it's too easy, upload them. Everyone else should too. Then it won't be too easy anymore.

How hard is it?

Not hard enough.

This genuinely sounds like the chatter around Destiny 2 recently. 

The streamers were banging on about having harder raids and harder mechanics and we want to have something to do, because we're good and everyone else should just git gud like us

Bungie/Activision (at the time) acquiesced to their demands and the ideas that were put in, meant that over 50% of players, who had achieved the highest level last time, didn't this time and there was a lot of discontent around the playbase, because they'd bowed to a very small, but vocal subset

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

Who wants to play like this, really? 

Kids, generally. Just like back when I was one, the arrows in the tactic creator were a thing and I enjoyed blitzing all in my path with a tactic with a long forward arrow taking a speedy midfielder between the two strikers. (Yes, it was major exploit!)

Most people grow out of it and learn that FM is more about the journey than the destination.

12 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

This genuinely sounds like the chatter around Destiny 2 recently. 

The streamers were banging on about having harder raids and harder mechanics and we want to have something to do, because we're good and everyone else should just git gud like us

Bungie/Activision (at the time) acquiesced to their demands and the ideas that were put in, meant that over 50% of players, who had achieved the highest level last time, didn't this time and there was a lot of discontent around the playbase, because they'd bowed to a very small, but vocal subset

Can you mod that game to make it harder or is it one size fits all?

Just now, rp1966 said:

Kids, generally. Just like back when I was one, the arrows in the tactic creator were a thing and I enjoyed blitzing all in my path with a tactic with a long forward arrow taking a speedy midfielder between the two strikers. (Yes, it was major exploit!)

Most people grow out of it and learn that FM is more about the journey than the destination.

Those were the days. I fondly remember playing Champ Man Italia where 4-3-1-2 was the formation of choice. Whoever you placed in the hole would be a goalscoring god.

I vaguely remember one from either 96/97 or 97/98 that involved two CMs sprinting forward either side of a single St. Ah, good times.

Anyway, back to work.

Honestly I would be fine even with artificial difficulty increases, just to make the AI able to keep up with you. Such as morale boosts, better team cohesion for AI teams.

But honestly they should just make AI use more aggressive tactics and it would make a big difference.

Is there a weak team in some division that uses gegenpressing as a default tactic? It would be interesting experiment to watch their games in the ME and see if they overachieve similarly to a player team. If they don't, maybe there is something else under the hood that makes players so successful than just OP aggressive tactics.

Edited by swippy

1 minute ago, swippy said:

Honestly I would be fine even with artificial difficulty increases, just to make the AI able to keep up with you. Such as morale boosts, better team cohesion for AI teams.

But honestly they should just make AI use more aggressive tactics and it would make a big difference.

Is there a weak team in some division that uses gegenpressing as a default tactic? It would be interesting experiment to watch their games in the ME and see if they overachieve similarly to a player team. If they don't, maybe there is something else under the hood that makes players so successful than just OP aggressive tactics.

I played LASK in Austria with Salzburg, game said they were playing Gegenpress. I smashed them 7-0.

9 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

This is the problem, though.

Lots of us find the game way too easy. Not just one season or one save or one version. Every time we play it.

With a wide range of teams and a wide range of sensible tactics.

You have mastered the fm, congratulations. After a lot of different versions, you got good, your tactical knowledge increased, you know exactly which approach will be effective in the long run and work in fm. Enjoy it.

I do, i have played every version from the fm11 to the present and after that long i have learned what works and what doesn't, now i can fully enjoy that, and enjoy the ME. It's a game overall, when you master it, you find different aproach to enjoy it if you can't otherwise, have different goals or move on. For example i am more interested in influencing the fm gameworld, creating good players, improving a bad league than i'm in tactical matters.

But not everyone, not even in these polls where there is a specific group that has this problem opposed to majority of people now enjoying the fm playing it, wants the game to become harder, or to think of their Fm as their secondary job that becomes a chore if you want to become good.

2 hours ago, johnsie said:

Who actually thinks that this is what players want to do? 

SI, based on extensive data to suggest an enormous number of players are casual and want to be able to turn on a gegenpressing default and play like Klopp whilst hardcore players fill threads with their aim to get from the bottom to the top in a way which essentially never happens IRL? Not to mention all those paranoid threads about the AI cheating or 'cracking' tactics when they see a very slight reversal of fortune from sides adjusting their tactics to treat the small club as a slightly bigger one (which was a massive deal for Leicester which cost Ranieri his job)

Realism works against difficulty too. Realism means other teams don't scout and sign cheap South American wonderkids and that nobody else will play with a flat three on attacking when expected to be in the bottom of the table, even though both of these lead to better results. And yet the human player moans that it's artificial handicaps when people suggest they don't do that...

Edited by enigmatic

3 minutes ago, vukigepard said:

You have mastered the fm, congratulations. After a lot of different versions, you got good, your tactical knowledge increased, you know exactly which approach will be effective in the long run and work in fm. Enjoy it.

I do, i have played every version from the fm11 to the present and after that long i have learned what works and what doesn't, now i can fully enjoy that, and enjoy the ME. It's a game overall, when you master it, you find different aproach to enjoy it if you can't otherwise, have different goals or move on. For example i am more interested in influencing the fm gameworld, creating good players, improving a bad league than i'm in tactical matters.

But not everyone, not even in these polls where there is a specific group that has this problem opposed to majority of people now enjoying the fm playing it, wants the game to become harder, or to think of their Fm as their secondary job that becomes a chore if you want to become good.

Fair enough.

I’d presumed the better players would want to see difficulty levels introduced, but it seems most of them don’t.

Apologies for turning into a keyboard warrior at times 😀

31 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is the answer I expected. 

It is normal you expected it, what would change if we put our saves here on the forum, if even miles arrive to a stream and start smashing, because he stopped the no brain tactic that the guys were using on the showdown. 

They don't need our saves to see that game is to easy, I don't even know how there is people argumenting the opposite, because for me is so clear that IA is not attacking in most of the games, that if you play something that create xG you will be winning. 

I have a cup match on curzhon asthon, I was Winning by 3, and it taked to the ia 85 minutes to try to do something, and I was not playing with a exploit, because there is no need of it on this fm. You gonna win because or something is broken in the game, or they trying to make it soft for casuals. It really hurts to see people arguing counter this, when more than 20 people provided information showing that we do not get a challenge, even changing things, if you know how to set up a tactic, it's win win win, and say wtv you want but fm isn't that, I'm all in for immersion, even restrict myself with rules, so I'm not expecting to go 6th tier and play defensive with a team set to relegation (even in real life) and still be leading the league. 

I don't even get the ones that say "dont play high line or smthg along this lines" , how I'm I supposed to react to a 2-0 from the opposition? Si need to fix it, we already have 1 year of op gengenpress, I guess they don't need our saves, they know the problem, miles was the ultimate proof . 

1 minute ago, dannysheard said:

Fair enough.

I’d presumed the better players would want to see difficulty levels introduced, but it seems most of them don’t.

No needs for apology. Difficulty levels could potentialy appease everyone, but i don't think SI will ever go with that approach

1 minute ago, dannysheard said:

Fair enough.

There are difficulty modes, but people don't like it when it's pointed out.

Barcelona/Bayern/Liverpool = win the top league quickly

Sevilla/Gladbach/Southampton = a bit longer

Huesca/Union Berlin/Fulham = harder

Hospitalet/Sandhousen/Leamington = harder still

1 ora fa, bobbyb12345 ha scritto:

But if a counter-attacking 4-4-2 tactic is an exploit, then that is a problem.

Correct. You can create this tactic easily, starting with a standard 4-4-2 and step-by-step tweaking roles and duties. In the second year you will dominate.

We're not talkin about a very absurd tactic like a 4-0-6 or a 1-2-4-3, something that NO ONE would do IRL. We are talking about a very easy to achive 442

13 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

But those "win the top league quickly" teams shouldn't be *easy* either.

And, as someone who's been managing a Scottish third division side, the "harder still" options have still been incredibly easy.

7 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Agreed. Can you link your thread in the bugs forum so we can have a read of what is happening?

As I said is pointless to do it, I'm not the first, neither the second with the problem, I even saw some threads about this being ignored on the bugs section. 

Why would they need my save if I started 2 in very different circumstances, with 2 different tactics, and I overarchieved in the 2? 

I buy this game for more than 10 years, this is not a bug, this is doing the game easy, so why would I report it as a bug if seems more like an approach from SI? 

21 minutes ago, RioImmagina said:

Correct. You can create this tactic easily, starting with a standard 4-4-2 and step-by-step tweaking roles and duties. In the second year you will dominate.

We're not talkin about a very absurd tactic like a 4-0-6 or a 1-2-4-3, something that NO ONE would do IRL. We are talking about a very easy to achive 442

It's really hard for me to understand when an experienced fm player that has played probably 1000's of hours of different versions has a suprised pikachu face when his tactical set up proves to be good and effective, and then goes on to the forums to complain about the game he spent his good portion of life being easy. You already know all about the morale, form, types of attributes that you need, what is a good tactical set up, how hidden attributes work, what ppm's are useful, opposition instructions, roles, how the ai plays, how to build a team. And if you want to be just average with that knowledge, that is a problem, because at that point, there is nothing left to make you good except fishing for exploits.

And at that point, all you are asking for is more rng, more randomness, that the result from certain play style could go either way, and that is a very bad idea that has frustrated a lot of people in fm19 and 20

Edited by vukigepard

3 minutes ago, badgith said:

As I said is pointless to do it, I'm not the first, neither the second with the problem, I even saw some threads about this being ignored on the bugs section. 

Why would they need my save if I started 2 in very different circumstances, with 2 different tactics, and I overarchieved in the 2? 

I buy this game for more than 10 years, this is not a bug, this is doing the game easy, so why would I report it as a bug if seems more like an approach from SI? 

:seagull:

6 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

But those "win the top league quickly" teams shouldn't be *easy* either.

And, as someone who's been managing a Scottish third division side, the "harder still" options have still been incredibly easy.

That's not been my experience in the past, but I am not a good measuring stick because I play differently to most people and am not very good at the game.

If you've got a save where this is happening, I'd upload it as @herne79has suggested 👍

25 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

But Sevilla/Gladbach/Southampton are the kind of teams you can win the league with during the first season with absolute minimal effort, just use the gegenpress preset. How does it take longer than with Liverpool? I mean you'll probably draw or lose a couple times more but it doesn't delay winning the title more than a few matches.

And cruising through the lower leagues makes it take longer yes...but IMO the matter of easy is not about how long something takes but how much effort goes in it. My wish is that doing smart transfers, scouting, training, man management and most importably tweaking your tactics makes the difference in being successful and not. As is right now you can ignore half of the game features just because how easy it is to succeed.

Edited by swippy

I'm just been promoted with Huesca and am about to finish in the euro spots LA LIGA with a mostly good or leading second division team (and, bizzare, Moise Kean on loan).

My complaint on difficulty is that I play the same tactic every single game. Whether bottom Eibar at home or Barcelone away same mega attacking tactic (not the famous one and no PIs). Yet I'm in 3st spot.

I dont want a 'difficult' game where I lose all the time, of course SI would make no money with so.

But I want to be punished for my style. SI talk of tinkering to match opponent, reacting to specific challenge. Does you player have big matches. New FM21 feature, my defender is worried he is not as strong as opponent ST. This is all great stuff.

But do we as players have any reason to belief it is true? NO. 

I do not believe that improvements by putting thought is to game is true. Same tactic, click button, win win win win win. Ps my strikers only have 17 goals (shows not a famous cheat tactic) but I am league top scorer and 6th best defence).

Maybe the discussion is wrong. I don't want a 'harder game' more difficult game. But I want to be made to think about football when I play FM, and how best to utilise football ideas and knowledge.

Maybe FM give us some tools to do that, better than ever before, but still gives no NEED or BENEFIT to do that.

3 minutes ago, swippy said:

But Sevilla/Gladbach/Southampton are the kind of teams you can win the league with during the first season with absolute minimal effort, just use the gegenpress preset. How does it take longer than with Liverpool? I mean you'll probably draw or lose a couple times more but it doesn't delay winning the title more than a few matches.

And cruising through the lower leagues makes it take longer yes...but IMO the matter of easy is not about how long something takes but how much effort goes in it. My wish is that doing smart transfers, scouting, training, man management and most importably tweaking your tactics makes the difference in being successful and not. As is right now you can ignore half of the game features just because how easy it is to succeed.

Fair enough. Have you uploaded a save where this is happening?

23 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

To an extent I'd agree however sometimes people want to play as Barca/Bayern/Liverpool and still want "hard mode".  So "hard mode" can actually be much more interesting and varied than just picking a "harder" team.  For example:

1)  Lots of talk about playing attacking football.  ok, then design a tactical system which uses no TIs and PIs, the Balanced mentality (or harder yet, the Defensive mentality) but without playing 3 strikers or overloading the AMC position with multiple attacking players, but still play attacking football.

2)  Lots of talk about gegenpress too.  So fine, design a tactical gegenpress system in a similar vein as the attacking system above - so use very limited TIs and PIs.

3)  "Hard mode" can also be transferred over to other aspects of the game.  Have a self imposed limit on your transfer and wage budgets.  Have attribute masking turned on and limit how many scouts you employ.  Allocate all scouting responsibility to your Chief Scout and limit any requests to him that would not blow your newly created wage structure.  Limit your loanees.  Hand over all training responsibilities to your assistant.  Stop trying to create robots and have some players with less than optimal personalities (maybe even have a bad egg or two).  Only purchase players who are transfer listed.

That's just a few off the top of my head and none of that is really beyond the bounds of realism either.  Hell we could even start a "Hard Mode" challenge in the Challenges forum just to see how far people could take this.  There are so many possibilities.

And of course if, after all of that, people still find it easy - upload the game saves with detailed explanations to the Bugs Forum and say "hey SI, here are examples of where we believe the game could be more challenging".

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've argued this since the introduction of the gegenpress into FM - It has to be countered with players getting knackered or injured if managers persist on playing that style for 90 mins match on match. That's the biggest failing. Of course that approach is going to win games without that risk involved. Every team in the world would play this way constantly if there was no fear of burnout. 

If SI do this, they will be absolutely flooded with 'too many injuries' complaints, which has already, frustratingly, led them to reduce the injuries in game to 80% of real life, The sooner they put this back to close too 100% the better. These types of aggressive tactics need to have a consequence, otherwise there's no real strategy involved. 

fantastic post. straight to the jugular.

have also been saying that gegenpress must have more penalty when playing with players with low stamina, natural fitness, concentration, decision.
right now, gegenpress works regardless of player attributes. logically, an obscure team should never be able to play a gegenpress system as they will never have the players for it.

22 minutes ago, Christmas said:

I think you are very confused about what good uploading a save would do in bug fixing for such a wide issue. There is no ingame editor now so can't cheat with that. Game Status shows number of saves. 

I do not have the view you have a valid point, at all.

Fair enough, happy to agree to disagree.

If your alternative is to moan about it on here though, that will do even less good. 🙄

When people talk about wanting FM to be harder, exactly what do they mean?  Since CM / FM began, the ability to get a non-league side into the Champions league has always been an FM possibility but 99.99% unrealistic in real life. The other options include:

1) no data editing

2) no FM Scout

3) no reading of FM's best Super Kids

4) no reading of forums detailing super tactics, corner bugs, etc

5) no save, play, reload

Would FM gamers really be happy grinding out season after season in the same league like many clubs do in real life? There is no difficulty setting that some games have, we know a real life manager manages his squad so much better than the AI manager

One of the most consistent asks for each FM release is better AI Squad management, I suspect you could also add a request for better AI Management of tactics during matches. I'd say harder releases for the FM Manager will only likely occur as a direct result of better AI Squad Management and AI Tactics. I think this is the answer going forwards

I dont really think we want any ME changes for FM21 as this looks like one of the best

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

I warmly encourage everybody in this thread  to take some minutes, use my custom injuries-file. open fm20 and simulate it for 1 or 2 months and then open the injuries overview of your club or the league. First screenshot of the injuries-table gets a thumb up:D

injuries ad absurdum.fmf