Wingers Cutting In - Giovinco Example

I've read in some threads that people are having difficulty getting their wingers to cut inside, and I believe I have managed it to a reasonable extent with Giovinco, playing as Juventus.

I play a flat 4-4-2, with Giovinco in the ML position, and during the 2nd half of the season as i have tweaked my tactics slightly, i have got Giovinco to cut inside off the left flank and often make something happen, either by passing inside to an MC moving forwards, playing a through ball to one of my forwards or dribbling at the defence and having a shot on goal.

For example just in my last match against Inter, Giovinco picked the ball up on the left flank, dribbled past the full back, cut inside, beating two other defenders and scored by placing the ball in the left corner from inside the area off his right foot.

I think im getting it to work because of a mix of his attributes and PPM's, his settings, the team settings and the support players around him.

Giovinco has excellent dribbling, creativity, decisions, passing and pace, helping make the right choices over whether to dribble, pass forwards, or back, and letting him execute them successfully. Also he is naturally right footed so favours that side to pass and shoot.

The settings I have for him are Mentality 12, Creative Freedom 14, Passing 14, Closing Down 14, Tackling Easy, Forward Runs Mixed, Run With Ball Often, Long Shots Mixed, Through Balls Mixed (Or sometimes Often), Cross Rarely, Cross From Mixed and Free Role ticked.

I also have my full backs pushing forward, forward runs often, so my left back De Ceglie (Mentality 10) often overlaps on his outside to get to the byline. I reckon this also pushes Giovinco inside sometimes, and gives him three passing options: the overlapping fullback, more attacking MC and FC's.

To do this I play with a slow enough Tempo (7-13) and reasonable Width (8-12), to enable the full backs to get forward to support an attack, and making sure they stay wide and overlap in attacking moves, but the team is not too stretched.

I also had Giovinco learn the PPM Runs With Ball Through Centre, so I think this, coupled with his attributes, preferred foot, and my team tactics have got him cutting inside to good effect now, creating a few goals and also scoring them for himself.

Let me know what you guys think, and what success you've had with your wide players cutting inside and creating goals.

Interesting concept.

I'm starting a game as Sampdoria and I want to use Cassano on the left as a forward as in real life. I want him to cut inside every so often to take shots from outside the box or to cross the ball to the far post.

I'll use similar mentality ratings and also try him as playmaker to see how it works.

Coincidently iv just signed Cassano, but more as a replacement striker of sorts for the ageing Del Piero. Now in my second season and Giovinco is abosolutely tearing it up on the left, cutting in frequently to good effect. If he gets an injury however, I will definitely try Cassano in his position.

Anyone else having good success with wingers cutting in? Or is anyone struggling with getting this aspect of the game to work?

Pure coincidence here, but my left midfielder, Matias Fernandez, has the PPM "Runs with ball through centre", last 2 games I've made my own tactic and he's scored 4 goals - all from cutting in and scoring in the bottom right corner.. Will report if I see anything new.

did you try to set forward runs to often to giovinco? i play my right footed left winger just the way you do, with FRs set to often. he does cut in sometimes. at the moment i still don't play him on high CF and without free role as i want him to get used to the new surounding - my team is not gelled so my tactics are quite catious.

having 'wrong' footed winger, PPM 'runs with ball through centre' and high CF and FR are probably the key here.

does giovinco cut in without the ball also, or just when dribbling?

did you try to set forward runs to often to giovinco? i play my right footed left winger just the way you do, with FRs set to often. he does cut in sometimes. at the moment i still don't play him on high CF and without free role as i want him to get used to the new surounding - my team is not gelled so my tactics are quite catious.

having 'wrong' footed winger, PPM 'runs with ball through centre' and high CF and FR are probably the key here.

does giovinco cut in without the ball also, or just when dribbling?

Well I just used Nasri instead of M. Fernandez and I set forward runs to often and Nasri cut in and scored a goal from 20 yards, reminiscent of a lot of Pires and Henry goals for Arsenal.

I also trained Nasri to have the ppm run with ball through centre..

Playing as Samp as mentioned above I'm getting him to cut inside a little but not too often. USually against weaker teams he's in the mood...kind of like real life like yesterday he was on fire!!!

I play him as an AML and 1 striker but set him as playmaker, dribbling often and forward runs mixed. I tried putting a free role on him but that didn't seem to affect much. I also re-trained for him to cut inside which he took ina positive manner. I guess it's all a matter of time but to be honest my tactic is terrible (i suck at tactics) so i still need some work or if I find a great tactic with the 1 lone striker and 2 winger/strikers which would suit his style.

My current formation is as follows:

----------ST----------

AML-----------------AMR

----CM---CM---CM----

----------------------

DL----DC----DC----DL

If anyone has a similar formation I'd gladly appreciate the tactic ;)

I would think that crossing rarely and from the deep or at least mixed would be a big factor here.

If you tell your winger not to cross the ball, or at least to do so from deep position, then he will naturally cut in wont he, looking to pass or shoot rather than cross?

Giovinco got injured for 3 months so I had to play Cassano in the same role with similar instructions, and its worked very well so far for him too, with some quality goals cutting in off the flank.

So I think, as someone else also posted earlier, the key to getting wingers to cut in effectively appears to be cross rarely/from deep, RWB often, free role on, and the PPM runs through centre and having their preferred foot opposite to the wing they're on helps a lot.

For the winger to be effective cutting in, doing some real damage, I think it also helps for the players to have high attributes for dribbling, creativity, off the ball, first touch, passing, flair, and good pace.

I think its clear now that making your wingers cut in can be done very well on this ME with the right players and good instructions.

I tried doing this with Marcelo and Matias Fernandez with amazing results. I had been playing Bentley out wide (I'm playing as Spurs) and trying to cross, but he rarely ever got a clean cross in. Bringing the wingers inside opened up the game and I ran out 5-0 winners w/ Pavlyuchenko netting a hattrick. Considering I could barely score a goal before, this was a huge change and the whole team played differently. I'm going to keep running with it and report back.

I've read in some threads that people are having difficulty getting their wingers to cut inside, and I believe I have managed it to a reasonable extent with Giovinco, playing as Juventus.

I play a flat 4-4-2, with Giovinco in the ML position, and during the 2nd half of the season as i have tweaked my tactics slightly, i have got Giovinco to cut inside off the left flank and often make something happen, either by passing inside to an MC moving forwards, playing a through ball to one of my forwards or dribbling at the defence and having a shot on goal.

For example just in my last match against Inter, Giovinco picked the ball up on the left flank, dribbled past the full back, cut inside, beating two other defenders and scored by placing the ball in the left corner from inside the area off his right foot.

I think im getting it to work because of a mix of his attributes and PPM's, his settings, the team settings and the support players around him.

Giovinco has excellent dribbling, creativity, decisions, passing and pace, helping make the right choices over whether to dribble, pass forwards, or back, and letting him execute them successfully. Also he is naturally right footed so favours that side to pass and shoot.

The settings I have for him are Mentality 12, Creative Freedom 14, Passing 14, Closing Down 14, Tackling Easy, Forward Runs Mixed, Run With Ball Often, Long Shots Mixed, Through Balls Mixed (Or sometimes Often), Cross Rarely, Cross From Mixed and Free Role ticked.

I also have my full backs pushing forward, forward runs often, so my left back De Ceglie (Mentality 10) often overlaps on his outside to get to the byline. I reckon this also pushes Giovinco inside sometimes, and gives him three passing options: the overlapping fullback, more attacking MC and FC's.

To do this I play with a slow enough Tempo (7-13) and reasonable Width (8-12), to enable the full backs to get forward to support an attack, and making sure they stay wide and overlap in attacking moves, but the team is not too stretched.

I also had Giovinco learn the PPM Runs With Ball Through Centre, so I think this, coupled with his attributes, preferred foot, and my team tactics have got him cutting inside to good effect now, creating a few goals and also scoring them for himself.

Let me know what you guys think, and what success you've had with your wide players cutting inside and creating goals.

I'd have done exactly the same thing if I wanted someone to run at defenses too...the "cross rarely' instruction is key. The next one is TTB or try thru balls...if you have it on mixed then he may pause for a cause, if you want him to just cut in and have a go then it would be rarely, so you may end up seeing a fair bit of give and go

I have had some sucess with this aswell in my current game but have not used preferred moves yet so can't wait to add that into the mix!

I found the largest factor is getting my wingers to cut in was narrowing the width of my formation, in addition to free role, and high creative freedom & attacking.

By narrowing the width I have been able to get them to cut in while also leaving crossing on mixed - which has led to a lot of goals from one winger crossing and the other running into the far post/penalty spot and converting.

This combined with a few goals from direct dribbles then shots has given some nice fluidity to my front 3.

Great thread.

Has anybody tried this with a player who's positioned on his "correct" side? Just bought Arshavin and I want to play him on the right flank. Although he's a decent crosser, I think he'd be best employed cutting in and either assisting the forwards or driving inside the box and shooting himself. Anyone have experience in this approach?

Really sounds interesting.

I have two big men upfront, one who is specifically strong and has high creative stats, and one who is great off the ball, and quick off his blocks too.

On the wings, I have M Fernandez and Bentley, with Modric, Balotelli and Giovanni Dos Santos also have the ability to play those positions. But unfortunately, using a tactic based of the Tactical theorems thread, I haven't been getting too much out of them, and therefore, not many goals from my strikers either.

I will try and employ this, but I'd also love to see you full tactic too mate, if theres a chance of you uploading it?

Well the problem is I use heavy tweaking, so rarely use the same team instructions for two consecutive games, let alone a season. I even sometimes change the positions, moving 1 FC to the AMC postion, and the ML and MR to the AML/AMR positions. But i have been developing a system which i call the Modern 4-4-2, so i may upload that. I tweaked it to be more attacking this season, and the goals have been flying in, but i have been conceding more.

@coleman...i have my right winger as right footed, and i find my team play him in a lot behind the fullback for a shot on goal, as he makes runs in off the right flank. So i think if he had high striker stats, like finishing, composure, off the ball, as well as good pace, he could score a lot of goals. For me i find Camoranesi gets a lot of opportunities on goal, so i think playing a striker as a winger could be very productive, i will try it with Balotelli, and see if i can get that going.

How do i make my wingers, in my case AMR / AML run behind the defensive line.

I play a single forward and to make my Tactic more dangerous i want my winger run onto the box trying to snap up throw balls from my midfield.

I have seen on many occasions when my creative midfielder run onto the def line and my winger just stands there on his flank, i want him running behind the defender so my creative one can flick the ball into the space there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It`s likely that he will cut inside from byline, and won`t be able to shoot or try through ball. Maybe this style is useful also, as we see many goals in that way in real life, but rushes this concept ;)

For example Hleb on the right side always runs with ball down right and then cuts inside byline, passes ball to 6 yard box and then what happens...

sorry for (bad) English :(

Archived