[Dutch] Issues in Dutch Translation

Woodg SI

• SI Staff

Please post all issues relating to this language translation of FM 2021 in this topic.

Please try to provide a screenshot by attaching it to your post (or if a saved game is needed please follow instructions here

Please refer to the sticky topic for Translation reporting Guidelines. This can be found here - ***-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-***-Posting-in-the-Translation-Forum

I'll also be expecting us to give a good account of ourselves in the Champions Cup this season

is translated as:

Ik verwacht ook dat we een goede kans te maken in de Champions Cup dit seizoen

This is wrong translated and the sentence gives a total other meaning. The word "te" or the words "dat we" should be removed by the way to make it a normal sentence. But then it's still not a correct translation. A very good translation would be

"Ik verwacht ook van ons dat we een goede indruk achterlaten in de Champions Cup dit seizoen"

Another comment:

"latter stages" is translated as "eindfase" but this is vague in Dutch. Better would be to speak of "knock-outfase".  So it becomes "Ik wil ook de knock-outfase bereiken van de Champions Cup dit seizoen". Dutch people would understand this far better.

image.thumb.png.b9a87083b044c7423ad9f13df2c5d9cb.png

image.thumb.png.8c03a59322d68de2578dddbe465d3b2c.png

Discuss is being tanslated as 'Discussiëren" in the menubar. I totally understand where it's coming from.  But Discuss in Dutch can mean 2 things: 

• you disagree with another and want to convince that person of the correctness of your point of view. Both sides use arguments to defend their position.
  • You want to talk abouth someting with someone. "To discuss something" means "iets bespreken" 

In this menu is meant "Bespreken". This would be the correct translation.

image.png.2adc2f0e1879a0e98f2808727b3e8fb3.png

How have you come to settle on your current tactical approach? 

is being translated as

Ben je van plan de huidige tactische aanpak te gebruiken?

This is not a good translation because it doens't involve the conclusion that the manager settled for an approach. Better would be

Je lijkt voor een vaste tactische aanpak te hebben gekozen. Hoe ben je hiertoe gekomen?

• SI Staff
On 29/11/2020 at 18:06, ^1Not^22^3B^4Reanimated said:

Roberto Firmino blokkeert het pad van Bednarek goed is being transalted as Roberto Firmino blocks the path van Bednarek 

The goalie Bednarek blocks the path

So it should be the other way around -> Bednarek blokkeert het pad van Roberto Firmino goed

Propably the variables are switched in the programcode.

image.thumb.png.66e65a3ad72ca889bc4b607ae1c50cbf.png

thanks - looks correct in the translation so must be the code - do you have a save game file?

[%male#1-surname] does well to block [%male#2-surname]{s} path
{upper}[%male#1-surname] blokkeert het pad van {upper}[%male#2-surname] goed

• SI Staff
On 28/11/2020 at 10:30, wouterb said:

image.thumb.png.a0f25cf76629f7316ae20892483af5d3.png

This is not right. I played the home game and it says 'voor eigen publiek in de uitwedstrijd' which means 'for your own fans in the away game'

there might be a mistranslation here

KEY-296743-M: After narrowly winning the first leg, are [%male#1-you] confident of getting a result in the second leg away to such a tough opponent?
STR-1: Na de nipte zege voor eigen publiek in de uitwedstrijd moeten jullie het in de thuiswedstrijd afmaken. Denk je dat jullie het gaan redden tegen een tegenstander van dit kaliber?[%male#1-hidden]

KEY-296744-M: With a comfortable first leg lead in the bag, [%male#1-you] must be confident of progressing to the next round. Do [%male#1-you] think [%male#1-you] can get the result [%male#1-you] need?
STR-1: Na de ruime zege voor eigen publiek in de uitwedstrijd staan jullie met één been in de volgende ronde. Denk je dat jullie in de thuiswedstrijd het benodigde resultaat zullen behalen? [%male#1-hidden]

On 01/12/2020 at 15:02, Brian Stapleton said:

there might be a mistranslation here

KEY-296743-M: After narrowly winning the first leg, are [%male#1-you] confident of getting a result in the second leg away to such a tough opponent?
STR-1: Na de nipte zege voor eigen publiek in de uitwedstrijd moeten jullie het in de thuiswedstrijd afmaken. Denk je dat jullie het gaan redden tegen een tegenstander van dit kaliber?[%male#1-hidden]

KEY-296744-M: With a comfortable first leg lead in the bag, [%male#1-you] must be confident of progressing to the next round. Do [%male#1-you] think [%male#1-you] can get the result [%male#1-you] need?
STR-1: Na de ruime zege voor eigen publiek in de uitwedstrijd staan jullie met één been in de volgende ronde. Denk je dat jullie in de thuiswedstrijd het benodigde resultaat zullen behalen? [%male#1-hidden]

The English version is talking about first legs, and the Dutch about the away game. The translation for first leg is `heenwedstrijd`. The second leg is `terugwedstrijd`. It's hard to translate one on one but I would go for something like:

STR-1: Na de nipte zege voor in de heenwedstrijd, denk je dat jullie het gaan redden in de terugwedstrijd tegen een tegenstander van dit kaliber?[%male#1-hidden]

STR-1: Na de ruime zege voor in de heenwedstrijd staan jullie met één been in de volgende ronde. Denk je dat jullie in de terugwedstrijd het benodigde resultaat zullen behalen? [%male#1-hidden]

dont know this is right thread but the bolton wanderers stadium is still called "Reebok stadium" in dutch. When i change my language fe English, the stadium called correctly: The University of Bolton Stadium".

Can this be correctly changed? Because only in dutch database its incorrect. Sorry if its the wrong thread (nothing to do with database)...

On 01/12/2020 at 14:59, Brian Stapleton said:

Can you provide a save game and we can investigate

I already modified it using the ingame editor - but a starting a new game has the same - looking in de editor i see the short name is just in cyrillic  not sure what a save game has to do with that

image.png.83c755086d76d24dd3f3f84de3b3c297.png

image.png.12c6688dcc9258cada636e5c33c1b1a7.png

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Dropveter said:

I already modified it using the ingame editor - but a starting a new game has the same - looking in de editor i see the short name is just in cyrillic  not sure what a save game has to do with that

image.png.83c755086d76d24dd3f3f84de3b3c297.png

image.png.12c6688dcc9258cada636e5c33c1b1a7.png

This is down to some third party add on you have installed/are using that changes names. So nothing we can help on here

I agree that even in English the two sentences starting with "Congratulations....." and "I'm happy..." look very much alike! Someone from SI should look into this. 

But to translate the 2 sentences exactly the same in Dutch looks weird.

I suggest one sentence get amendend:

I'm happy with your performaces out there. Enjoy your syccess lads!    ->    "Ik ben blij met jullie prestaties op het veld. Geniet van jullie succes jongens!

image.png.393aaa64141b06ddb721ca63b1721d28.png

image.png.2299a9af6c7893b8c040447aeefd2026.png

Hi,

When you start a save in Dutch you get this overview.

On the right you see the players who are loaned in or out.

Unos Spajic is loaned in from Krasnodar, but it says "verhuurd" which means "loaned out".

"Loaned in from" should be translated to "gehuurd van".

"Loaned out to" should be translated to "verhuurd aan". (Not "naar")

A50E5A0D-9241-4B6F-859E-BE599D04ACD8.thumb.png.35213f0ed186aa12f34a5bd5699f083b.png

Edited by StojC

• SI Staff
On 07/12/2020 at 18:54, ^1Not^22^3B^4Reanimated said:

I agree that even in English the two sentences starting with "Congratulations....." and "I'm happy..." look very much alike! Someone from SI should look into this. 

But to translate the 2 sentences exactly the same in Dutch looks weird.

I suggest one sentence get amendend:

I'm happy with your performaces out there. Enjoy your syccess lads!    ->    "Ik ben blij met jullie prestaties op het veld. Geniet van jullie succes jongens!

image.png.393aaa64141b06ddb721ca63b1721d28.png

image.png.2299a9af6c7893b8c040447aeefd2026.png

OK checked on this:

Turns out we have three very similar strings and they actually have the same translation - please feel free to suggest some variety in the below and I can update:

KEY-332733: Congratulations, that was a good performance out there.[COMMENT: team talk - team: congrats minor comp, long]

STR-1: Gefeliciteerd, jongens. Goed gespeeld.

KEY-332732-M: Congratulations lads, [%male#1-I]'m happy with your performances out there.[COMMENT: team talk - team: congrats minor comp, long]

STR-1: Gefeliciteerd jongens. Goed gespeeld.

KEY-333221-M: [%male#1-I]'m happy with your performances out there. Enjoy your success lads![COMMENT: team talk - team: fantastic result minor comp, long]

• SI Staff
18 hours ago, StojC said:

Hi,

When you start a save in Dutch you get this overview.

On the right you see the players who are loaned in or out.

Unos Spajic is loaned in from Krasnodar, but it says "verhuurd" which means "loaned out".

"Loaned in from" should be translated to "gehuurd van".

"Loaned out to" should be translated to "verhuurd aan". (Not "naar")

A50E5A0D-9241-4B6F-859E-BE599D04ACD8.thumb.png.35213f0ed186aa12f34a5bd5699f083b.png

thanks, checking this

• SI Staff
On 07/12/2020 at 19:08, ^1Not^22^3B^4Reanimated said:

mazalla should be mezalla

image.thumb.png.6eabb7d7cd7b6070ab0bfca633c8d78e.png

Good spot! That's been in for a few years. Thanks for the report.

Fixed now but note as it's in the database this can only go into the final data update in Feb/Mar time.

On 09/12/2020 at 10:52, Brian Stapleton said:

what's ths issue here?

look at these celebrations, how great are they?

Is translated as "Kijk naar de vreugde, hoe mooi zijn ze" but vreugde is not plural (zijn ze) but singular (is dit). So it should be "Kijk naar de vreugde, hoe mooi is dit? "

geweldig is a better translation for "great" then "mooi". So suggestion: "Kijk naar de vreugde, hoe geweldig is dit? "

Edited by ^1Not^22^3B^4Reanimated

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/12/2020 at 10:46, Brian Stapleton said:

OK checked on this:

Turns out we have three very similar strings and they actually have the same translation - please feel free to suggest some variety in the below and I can update:

KEY-332733: Congratulations, that was a good performance out there.[COMMENT: team talk - team: congrats minor comp, long]

STR-1: Gefeliciteerd, jongens. Goed gespeeld.

Suggestion: Gefelicteerd, dat was een prima vertoning.

KEY-332732-M: Congratulations lads, [%male#1-I]'m happy with your performances out there.[COMMENT: team talk - team: congrats minor comp, long]

Suggestion: Gefeliciteerd jongens. Ik ben blij met jullie prestaties op het veld.

KEY-333221-M: [%male#1-I]'m happy with your performances out there. Enjoy your success lads![COMMENT: team talk - team: fantastic result minor comp, long]

Suggestion: Ik ben blij met jullie prestaties op het veld. Geniet er van, jongens!

see suggestions in blue above:

When you ask the agent for the player availability the reason is giving, but in the translation it is mentioned as 'en', so it becomes a sum up - which is wrong. Also there is a mixed of current and past.

So in my opinion in the example below, the correct way the first sentence should be written is:

Hij heeft nu geen interesse om voor AFC Ajax te tekenen omdat hij net zijn contract heeft verlengd. 

This logic could then be applied to the other options as well.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 20.58.54.png

De goede, jonge Nederlander, een aanvallende middenvelder uit Gemeente Velsen sprint in het oog - > should be-> Er is een goede jonge Nederlandse aanvaller uit Gemeente Velsen die in het oog springt.

Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe verdedigende middenvelders .. should be->  Het lijkt er niet op dat er nieuwe verdedigende middenvelders...

lijken te kort te komen op het niveau dat... -> should be -> lijken te kort te komen voor het niveau dat...

image.png.9fe4737cd49b7ba0d1c6082a1dd30930.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 08/01/2021 at 17:04, ^1Not^22^3B^4Reanimated said:

De goede, jonge Nederlander, een aanvallende middenvelder uit Gemeente Velsen sprint in het oog - > should be-> Er is een goede jonge Nederlandse aanvaller uit Gemeente Velsen die in het oog springt.

Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe verdedigende middenvelders .. should be->  Het lijkt er niet op dat er nieuwe verdedigende middenvelders...

lijken te kort te komen op het niveau dat... -> should be -> lijken te kort te komen voor het niveau dat...

image.png.9fe4737cd49b7ba0d1c6082a1dd30930.png

here are some of the strings that may need to be updated, let me know what you think

KEY-483014: We have one good young [%nation#1-nationality] [%position#1] from [%city#1] who has caught the eye.

STR-1: De goede, jonge [%nation#1-nationality], een [%position#1] uit [%city#1], springt in het oog.

KEY-483015: We have one good young [%nation#1-nationality] [%position#1] who has caught the eye.

STR-1: De goede, jonge [%nation#1-nationality], een [%position#1], springt in het oog.

KEY-482975: We haven't any new wing-backs coming through.

STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe vleugelverdedigers zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-482976: We have no defensive midfielders coming through.

STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe verdedigende middenvelders zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-482979: Attacking midfielders are hard to find in the upcoming intake.

STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe aanvallende middenvelders zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-482980: We don't anticipate any new wingers coming through.

STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe vleugelspelers zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-482981: We don't foresee any new strikers coming through.

STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe aanvallers zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-483013: Most of our new strikers coming through look like they'll fall short of the required standard.

STR-1: Het grootste deel van de aanvallers die zich nu aandienen, lijkt te kort te komen op het niveau dat we nastreven.

• SI Staff
On 19/01/2021 at 19:56, stevenvdijk said:

In the Dutch national squad under 'speelschema' the team names are inconsistent. Some having "-jarigen" behind it, and some not. Think it can just be without, but now it looks a bit weird.

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 20.53.16.png

ok thanks will check consistency here

On 18/01/2021 at 17:48, Brian Stapleton said:

Here are my suggestions:

KEY-483014: We have one good young [%nation#1-nationality] [%position#1] from [%city#1] who has caught the eye.
STR-1: De goede, jonge [%nation#1-nationality], een [%position#1] uit [%city#1], springt in het oog.
Suggestion: Er is een goede, jonge [Nederlandse] [verdedigende middenvelder] uit [Amsterdam] die in het oog springt.

KEY-483015: We have one good young [%nation#1-nationality] [%position#1] who has caught the eye.
STR-1: De goede, jonge [%nation#1-nationality], een [%position#1], springt in het oog.
Suggestion: Er is een goede, jonge [Nederlandse] [verdedigende middenvelder] die in het oog springt. 

(!) Be aware of nationality-notation (Nederlander vs Nederlandse) . For example:
There is a good Dutch striker who has caught the eye -> er is een goede, Nederlandse aanvaller die in het oog sprint
There is a good Dutchman, a striker who has caught the eye -> Er is een goede Nederlander, een aanvaller die in het oog sprint

KEY-482975: We haven't any new wing-backs coming through.
STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe vleugelverdedigers zich gaan aandienen.
Suggestion: Het lijkt er niet op dat er nieuwe vleugelverdedigers zich gaan aandienen. 

KEY-482976: We have no defensive midfielders coming through.
STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe verdedigende middenvelders zich gaan aandienen.
Suggestion: Het lijkt er niet op dat er verdedigende middenvelders zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-482979: Attacking midfielders are hard to find in the upcoming intake.
STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe aanvallende middenvelders zich gaan aandienen.
Suggestion: Het lijkt er niet op dat er nieuwe aanvallende middenvelders zich gaan aandienen in de komende lichting.

KEY-482980: We don't anticipate any new wingers coming through.
STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe vleugelspelers zich gaan aandienen.
Suggestion: We verwachten niet dat er nieuwe vleugelspelers zich gaan aandienen.

KEY-482981: We don't foresee any new strikers coming through.
STR-1: Het lijkt er niet op of er nieuwe aanvallers zich gaan aandienen.
Suggestion: Het zier er niet naar uit dat er zich nieuwe spitsen gaan aandienen.

(!) General comment: A suitable translation for "striker" would be "spits" (strikers = spitsen). An attacker is translated as een aanvaller.
In FM both are often translated as Aanvallers which make all sentences look alike.

KEY-483013: Most of our new strikers coming through look like they'll fall short of the required standard.
STR-1: Het grootste deel van de aanvallers die zich nu aandienen, lijkt te kort te komen op het niveau dat we nastreven.
Suggestion: De meeste van de nieuwe spitsen die zich nu aandienen lijken te kort te komen voor het niveau dat we nastreven.