What is the appropriate number of friendlies to get match sharpness?

Can anyone advice what is the appropriate number of friendlies to arrange during pre season to get match sharpness. I usually let my 1st eleven  have a match time  of 45-60 min and rotate other players similarly in subsequent friendlies. This way i  have to arrange 6-7 friendlies at minimum to get match sharpness and i find the number unrealistic. I do not often see clubs in real life playing 7 friendlies in pre season especially top flight clubs. Furthermore in FM it is  possible to arrange  friendlies at the  last minute not considering the distance or travelling time which is a bit unrealistic. I also don't find it logical arranging a friendly in a short space of time considering the logistic and administrative  work that a club have to prepare before the game. Also cancelling a friendly is so easy that the there is no impact on the club that cancels the friendly. Usually there is bound to be a liability that a club may face if it cancels a friendly because matches involve cost but this is not the case in FM. 

Change the starting 11 every match and then use all the subs during the match- everyone gets 3 or 4 starts and 2 or 3 sub appearances

By the ay, under no circumstances leave the team selection etc to the AM as he will play under 18 squad players and not give any game time to the first team squad.