How long do FM licenses last?

I suspect the OP meant how long do SI have the licenses. Although we can play any version we own with the corresponding ME and UI, if licenses carry over for the years that SI had them there would be no reason why each iteration of the game shouldn't be able to load old databases. so you could play previous seasons with the current ME - obviously the further back you go, the more interesting that prospect becomes.  

Different license agreements will, I suspect last for varying time frames, but certainly the fact that some licenses will expire within say 1/2 years, means that you cant usually buy an older version on steam- to be honest, I dont know when that comes into effect

On 25/11/2020 at 16:46, rp1966 said:

I suspect the OP meant how long do SI have the licenses.

Yes exactly, and how long we are able to buy a game before the license expires. When a FM game is released, the previous version is still possible to purchase for a while, but for how long I wonder? There seem to only ever be two versions of FM available to get, the current one and the previous one (at least for some time).

7 minutes ago, WojciechZed said:

Yes exactly, and how long we are able to buy a game before the license expires. When a FM game is released, the previous version is still possible to purchase for a while, but for how long I wonder? There seem to only ever be two versions of FM available to get, the current one and the previous one (at least for some time).

None of us are privy to the licensing agreements, and that's 99.9% chance not going to change.