Need inspiration for a new save

I don't prefer to big a mega sized club, or a top-flight club. I like clubs that are in the 2nd/3rd tier of European leagues, with the potential to be the biggest in the land, or sleeping giants.

I've started a couple of saves on FM21 already - Hearts, Dortmund (just to see), Falkirk and Sunderland. None of them have really grabbed me.

Just looking for any suggestions, any interesting clubs?

I started with Palermo. Have not done save in Italy for so many fms, so found that Palermo was dropped deep into serie D and now in C. They dont have best players, they are suggested to finish 8th in serie C. But they have huge stadium and decent facilities. So it is good opportunity to raise a fallen giant by your own hand.

A bit backstory also to feel more into the team.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/sports-news-the-rise-and-fall-of-palermo-remembering-the-famous-2009-10-team/355020
https://www.squawka.com/en/palermo-line-up-sold-their-star-players/

Edited by saihtam

After many years of playing I also find it difficult to get into some save. So I always must think of some challenge before starting. For example - 

- I've played with Sassuolo but I had a rule only to buy Italian players

-I've played with Llagostera in Spain, because they have similar colors like Barcelona and my challenge was to play tiki taka, same formation as Barca and players of same nationality as one of the best Barca teams. For example - my right back had to be Brazillian like Dani Alves, playmaker Spanish like Iniesta, striker Uruguayan like Suarez and so on. 

My next save is probably Milan with similar rules, for example striker will have to be Ukranian. 

And I always have rule - I don't stop with playing the same save until I win champions league, so that is among others, always a main goal. 

Edited by Marko1989

9 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

After many years of playing I also find it difficult to get into some save. So I always must think of some challenge before starting. For example - 

-I've played with Llagostera in Spain, because they have similar colors like Barcelona and my challenge was to play tiki taka, same formation as Barca and players of same nationality as one of the best Barca teams. For example - my right back had to be Brazillian like Dani Alves, playmaker Spanish like Iniesta, striker Uruguayan like Suarez and so on. 

My next save is probably Milan with similar rules, for example striker will have to be Ukranian. 

And I always have rule - I don't stop with playing the same save until I win champions league, so that is among others, always a main goal. 

Cor, now there is an idea.

If you want a "restore a team back to glory" then Deportivo are a good shout. Relegated to the third tier in Spain last season. They have a good basis of a squad but it is not easy to keep them all together. You are better than teams around you in the first season, but the format of the Spanish third division is absolutely horrible. 2 league stages followed by a pair of two legged games to win promotion. So even if you walk the league stages (as I did), you still have 2 knock out ties to make sure you get promoted. So you keep interest. 

Long term the squad also needs to be rebuilt. There is a lack of talent outside of the first team, and a lot of the better players you have are aging without anyone obvious at the club to replace them. So you have a nice rebuild longer term project and the ultimate goal of returning them to La Liga and then getting back to the Champions League and eventually challenge for a title. I'd definitely suggest it! 

2 hours ago, saihtam said:

I started with Palermo. Have not done save in Italy for so many fms, so found that Palermo was dropped deep into serie D and now in C. They dont have best players, they are suggested to finish 8th in serie C. But they have huge stadium and decent facilities. So it is good opportunity to raise a fallen giant by your own hand.

A bit backstory also to feel more into the team.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/sports-news-the-rise-and-fall-of-palermo-remembering-the-famous-2009-10-team/355020
https://www.squawka.com/en/palermo-line-up-sold-their-star-players/

I came here to post this too.  I'm doing the same.

Bolton. Not top 3 tiers but L2 in England. Pretty big club that are way down the ladder. 

Wigan. You Tuber Loki Doki has been playing them on twitch. Says on twitter that it is a real challenge.

Eastern European top tier club. A top division club, but not regular title winner, in the likes of Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania etc. I have done saves in Romania with Juventus Bucharest (defunct, sadly) and twice in Slovenia with Koper. Some of my most memorable saves in FM. Makes a nice change from the big leagues and Europe is a fun challenge if you get there. 

Norway. Another of my favourites is Norway. It was more fun when the 2nd Division had more teams, but Norway is a fun league to manage in. 

5 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

My next save is probably Milan with similar rules, for example striker will have to be Dutch. (Van Basten and Gullit)

Fixed that for you. ;)

To answer the OP: Managing Palermo seems like a good challenge this year.

I tend to add start the game date close to the real date that way the league is taking shape and starting unemployed you can find a job abit easier also makes it feel more real. I also create an ex player as my manager and use the in game editor to add his playing career (fav clubs) and his fav players. Again adds to the realism. 

10 hours ago, RSCA4Ever said:

Fixed that for you. ;)

To answer the OP: Managing Palermo seems like a good challenge this year.

Hm, no. There is nothing wrong so there is nothing to be fixed. Both versions are good. It depends which Milan generation you want to recreate. :)

I’m gonna do one with Paris FC. They haven’t been in Ligue 1 since 1979 and have been very much a basement dweller since their split from PSG in the early Seventies. Very little support and small budget make it a fascinating challenge to play mega rich PSG in a league game.