FM21: Unia Janikowo - This Year Is Our Year

Rikulec

yHQ1zHo.jpg

FM21: Unia Janikowo - This Year Is Our Year

Hello there! Some of you may remember my thread from last year where I wanted to conquer the world with Unia Janikowo, but ultimately failed to win the Polish top flight after several years of trying and called it quits because of sheer frustration. This year I'm not letting that happen. This year is our year!

The Aim

For those who don't know or remember, Unia Janikowo is the club where I work in real life as a youth coach. This is what makes this save special for me and it's also the main motivation behind it - simply put, I want to win everything that's possible with my club. Like last year, in addition to the classic FM updates I'll be also letting you know how the club is doing on the real pitch. Any questions or opinions are highly welcome. Let's do this!

The Manager

nK1Mo2R.jpg

An older, more qualified me. I've also given myself the UEFA Pro licence (I only have UEFA B so far) - UEFA A would have been sufficient for the level we're at, but I simply don't want to bother with this later on in the game.

The Save

J7KQMAs.jpg

I've loaded most of the European leagues for the sake of a good player pool and a realistic simulation. For the Polish lower leagues I'm using the FM Revolution Polska Liga Update, which can be downloaded here.

Edited by Rikulec

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - New Club - Unia Janikowo

NIcwfqB.jpg

Everyone can dream, right?

Club Name: KS Unia Janikowo
Nickname: Unici
Year Founded: 1958
Stadium: im. BolesƂawa Ciesielskiego (4,500 all-seater)

xOZWWIn.jpg

The researcher has done quite a good job this year - almost everyone on the list is a real player, the only exception being the backup goalkeeper Rysiewski, and only a few real life players are missing. Unfortunately, Kędziora is nowhere near as good as last year. He still has a fair bit of pace though, so here's hoping he can still be useful. The club profile lists Ciarkowski as the key player, which is quite funny given how crap he actually is for us. :D Apart from that, we're probably going to be relying on Mysiak, Radomski, and GoĆșdzik.

LibSiaV.jpg

The board are expecting a heavy relegation fight. I'm quite hopeful we can do better than that, but only time will tell. Due to COVID-19 the league is quite weird this year. There are 22 teams and everyone plays each other once in the initial stage. Then the top eight teams battle it out for the single promotion place and everyone else try to avoid relegation with as many as seven teams going down. This could be quite a ride!

33imGLu.png

As you can see, things could be a little bit better for us on the pitch. After last season's 6th place we were definitely hoping for a top 8 finish and avoiding the relegation fight altogether. This didn't quite work out though - we've now entered the winter break with four games still to play before the split and while we may still have a shot at the championship group, it would take quite a turnaround. The summer signings have been quite disappointing so far, we didn't properly replace important players such as centre back MikoƂaj Gibas and defensive midfielder Mateusz Ɓawniczak and it's hurting us badly. Fingers crossed for a good winter window and an even better start after the break!

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - Pre-Season - 2020/21 - Unia Janikowo

Friendlies

kNOUNdv.jpg

A very good pre-season if you ignore failing to beat our second XI. :D

Transfers

gaGVBr9.jpg

I was only responsible for the two incomings highlighted.

Jakub ƻmuda - we desperately needed a left-footed left back, so here he is. Lots of pace and not much more besides, but he should do fine for our level.

Maciej Zagraba - a youngster who can cover any position on the left flank.

1 minute ago, Chrisofclubs said:

So interesting! Can’t wait to see your progress! I’m new to the forums but not new to football manager at all so can’t wait to see you achieve the dream this year! 

I'm glad you like it! Welcome to the forums and thank you for following the thread.

JmHHxWu.jpg

One thing I should have mentioned earlier - we're also the holders of the regional Polish Cup, which allows us to participate in the Polish Cup proper. The final was a really dramatic affair. We grabbed an early two goal lead against Zawisza Bydgoszcz, who play one division lower than us; they also got their keeper sent off before the 30th minute. However, our finishing became atrocious as we got more and more complacent, which eventually allowed our opponents to grab a goal with the last kick (or the last header, to be more precise) of the first half and then another one after the break, which meant extra time was on. Then it was Zawisza who took the lead, but we equalised with just minutes to go thanks to a Kędziora goal. Finally Fabiszewski became the hero in the penalty shoot-out, saving the first two shots, and it was Kędziora again who scored the decider. I was at the game and oh boy, was it ****ing nerve-wrecking. :D This season we actually won in the first round of the cup, beating ZagƂębie Sosnowiec from two divisions above us at our place, but then we crashed out against ƁKS.

As for this tie, I think we may have a chance, but we're definitely not the favourites. Time will tell.

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - August 2020 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

TZTTJrZ.jpg

ctgpyEi.jpg

I wanted to create a defensively solid system based on a compact block and quick counter attacks. It appears to be working as we've enjoyed an unbeaten start with only two goals conceded. 7th is more or less where I'd like us to be come the end of the season, can we maintain our good form?

Puchar Polski

pmZQlTp.jpg

We did it! Funnily enough it was a game similar to the real life one against ZagƂębie Sosnowiec as we sat deep and sealed the victory with a nicely constructed passing move.

In the next round we're hosting none other than Legia - the kind of tie every small club dreams of when they get so far in the cup. Bring it on then!

2 hours ago, Toffle said:

He's back!

spacer.png

I can assure you I'm just as excited! :D It feels great to be back.

1 hour ago, SRL88 said:

Solid enough start to the campaign. Nice win in the Polski Cup :D 

Cheers mate. :thup:

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - September 2020 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

0hhbWoK.jpg

INoO5VP.jpg

A frustrating draw against the bottom team, but apart from that it was a fantastic month. We're still unbeaten and our defensive record is the best in the league. It turns out I needn't have worried about Kędziora at all!

30 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Good luck, I enjoyed your thread last year. Did you have to download an expansion pack for the team to be playable?

Cheers! And yes, I had to download a file from a Polish FM fansite to enable the 4th tier, the default game only has two divisions available.

8 minutes ago, Khrayze said:

As someone who has Polish heritage it's nice to see a thread like this! Definitely looking at playing in Poland this year.

Looking forward to this thread :)

Thanks for the comment, I hope you enjoy your Polish save. :thup:

58 minutes ago, scarp said:

Good luck! As a youth coach, are you a former footballer? If so, are there perhaps any players in those lower leagues you know/met as a player?

Thanks! I haven't played club football in my life, I'm the type of guy who took up coaching because of FM. :D

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - October 2020 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

4v0J1Xb.jpg

fidu4u8.jpg

A worse month this time. We're no longer unbeaten; even more frustratingly, we conceded in injury time against both Elana and ƚwit. Seven games to go before the split and it's going to be a tough fight for a top 8 place.

Puchar Polski

fUOV5ZJ.jpg

Argh! We put up a very good fight against the Polish champions, but for the third time in a row we allowed our opponent to score after the 90th minute. Still, it was a very good effort.

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - November 2020 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

NDnyqhr.jpg

ROQksTc.jpg

That's more like it! Three wins, three clean sheets and no less than five goals from Kędziora fire us up to 3rd going into the winter break. Our main man is on 18 league goals already!

16 hours ago, Khrayze said:

As someone who has Polish heritage it's nice to see a thread like this! Definitely looking at playing in Poland this year.

Looking forward to this thread :)

I am planning a save with Wisla Krakow at some point - one last hurrah with Kuba (can't spell his whole name :lol:). I didn't realize how much debt/ general sh*t they are in!

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I am planning a save with Wisla Krakow at some point - one last hurrah with Kuba (can't spell his whole name :lol:). I didn't realize how much debt/ general sh*t they are in!

Kuba was playing for them for free last I heard. Sad times for sure,

3 hours ago, Dong21 said:

Just read all your updates - interesting save and nice to have a personal connection to the team. Good luck after the winter break!

Cheers mate. :thup:

3 hours ago, Toffle said:

You know how to motivate him. You should tell him he's rubbish in real life too  :lol:

I should probably tell that to most of the players tbf, :lol:

2 hours ago, abulezz said:

Let's see what the new CD that is supposed to be a good prospect looks like!

Hopefully he turns out to be useful, although my experience tells me not to get too excited.

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

2 hours ago, Khrayze said:

Kuba was playing for them for free last I heard. Sad times for sure,

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Yes and he also funded the club some money to stay afloat apparently. 

WisƂa have been in a terrible situation ever since BogusƂaw CupiaƂ left the club a few years ago. They were owned by a convicted criminal and later by fans who came from the Sharks background (i. e. hooligans with connections to the mob). At one point there were even some ridiculous rumours that a Cambodian tycoon would take them over and pump a lot of money in; long story short, he obviously turned out to be a fraud and disappeared shortly before the purchase deadline. They've now had a proper owner for some time though and they're managing to stay afloat despite being in debt. As for BƂaszczykowski, he took part in the takeover process, lending the club 1,5M PLN (around £300K). When he came back as a player, he did want to play for free, but that wasn't allowed for legal reasons, so his wage was 500 PLN (£100) per month.

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

WisƂa have been in a terrible situation ever since BogusƂaw CupiaƂ left the club a few years ago. They were owned by a convicted criminal and later by fans who came from the Sharks background (i. e. hooligans with connections to the mob). At one point there were even some ridiculous rumours that a Cambodian tycoon would take them over and pump a lot of money in; long story short, he obviously turned out to be a fraud and disappeared shortly before the purchase deadline. They've now had a proper owner for some time though and they're managing to stay afloat despite being in debt. As for BƂaszczykowski, he took part in the takeover process, lending the club 1,5M PLN (around £300K). When he came back as a player, he did want to play for free, but that wasn't allowed for legal reasons, so his wage was 500 PLN (£100) per month.

Thanks for the info. The game lists another BƂaszczykowski I think as a part owner as well. Also they are still heavily in debt and have repayments of a couple hundred thousand per month. It would definitely make for a very good challenge. 

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - March 2021 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

pHHAmHE.jpg

I4mEgeH.jpg

You could say we've been quite one-dimensional lately. :lol: Not the best of months, but we got what we wanted and now, given our 12-point deficit, we hardly have anything to play for in the second stage of the season other than satisfaction and developing young players.

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - April 2021 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

Eyr19C6.jpg

cC3C7aU.jpg

I've been fiddling with our tactics, reacting to the fact that teams don't really leave acres of space behind their lines for us to hoof it at Kędziora anymore. The results and our style of play don't look bad, but we need more consistency and flair up front.

Youth Intake

GR7Rxy4.jpg

Awful. Even recruiting a Brazilian from God-knows-where didn't help.

8 hours ago, Rikulec said:

0gA9jy2.png

Jakub SƂota's Management Career - April 2021 - Unia Janikowo

Third Division

Eyr19C6.jpg

cC3C7aU.jpg

I've been fiddling with our tactics, reacting to the fact that teams don't really leave acres of space behind their lines for us to hoof it at Kędziora anymore. The results and our style of play don't look bad, but we need more consistency and flair up front.

Youth Intake

GR7Rxy4.jpg

Awful. Even recruiting a Brazilian from God-knows-where didn't help.

Unlucky with the your intake mate! Some decent results in the league though! Time to build and smash the league next season!