[FM21] Smarter AI - Managers + Staff - Increase the Difficulty

I just wanted to report I noticed AI teams playing away are playing very defensive even when they should expect to dominate me. I'm playing a lower league team and in friendlies I play better teams than my team but they still play very very defensive. It's kind of jarring because it feels so unrealistic but maybe with time I will just get used to it.

7 minutes ago, Hav3n_The_Hero said:

I just wanted to report I noticed AI teams playing away are playing very defensive even when they should expect to dominate me. I'm playing a lower league team and in friendlies I play better teams than my team but they still play very very defensive. It's kind of jarring because it feels so unrealistic but maybe with time I will just get used to it.

Yes, that is a problem SI hasn’t fixed. 

the only thing I can do is increase attacking attribute for managers, which would have knock on effects to other parts of their style. Also, I don’t think it would change much, as SI seems to have made it a “code” that they don’t attack in the engine...

1 hour ago, majesticeternity said:

I can’t really say for sure, as RCA seems to not be quite accurate. 

but yes they probably would decrease. The idea was that not every manager would have 200 PA, though. So it’s fine if it decreases some.

Thank you. I'll give it a go! Well, right after I've checked out your youth addon that is! Thanks again for your hard work & generosity.

Il 27/11/2020 in 17:23 , majesticeternity ha scritto:

Well..you are United...so that sounds about right...lol

Actually, friendlies aren't very good at determining what will happen for real competititions.

It's better to get the pre-season going good, focus on getting morale and team cohesion up, and such, and then start the season and test regular competitions.

Hello @majesticeternity,

in the original database United seems "a bit" OP instead, I started multiple saves (for both miserable failures & testing) and the red devils seems really jogging on every opponent especially in Champions League, as long as any other EPL team to say the truth.

British researchers are generally very generous on assessing EPL players and something is went terribly wrong again with soak tests in my opinion if even Arsenal and Chelsea are capable to run easily past opponents in continental competitions (you would argue "what's new in that", but I'm trying to be diplomatic).

Would you be able to make things a little bit more realistics with Liverpool and City only being competitive in first years? Or do you think this file is enough for my purposes?

Thanks and congrats for your works!

1 minute ago, Federico said:

Hello @majesticeternity,

in the original database United seems "a bit" OP instead, I started multiple saves (for both miserable failures & testing) and the red devils seems really jogging on every opponent especially in Champions League, as long as any other EPL team to say the truth.

British researchers are generally very generous on assessing EPL players and something is went terribly wrong again with soak tests in my opinion if even Arsenal and Chelsea are capable to run easily past opponents in continental competitions (you would argue "what's new in that", but I'm trying to be diplomatic).

Would you be able to make things a little bit more realistics with Liverpool and City only being competitive in first years? Or do you think this file is enough for my purposes?

That's a bit more tricky than just changing managers and staff.

Probably better thing would be if you load up the Editor, go to Players > add filter "Club" type Manchester United. Person Type: player, and reduce their CA/PA. Depends also on how much you want to nerf them. you can change finances and other things too. PM me if you need help.

Alright, I know nothing of editing or CA/PA and I myself would not know how to assess properly a team, I just make my considerations on what I see in real life and compare it with FM and Man Utd (as much as other EPL teams) didn't do well in CL it seems to me, since quite some time to be honest.

Technically it's not up to users to mess with the editor so to place things in the right place, but this is a discussion lasting for decades and the fact that I'm still here moaning about it it's truly worrying and sad.

I had a quick look at Man Utd players, and how they've been assessed. It's not like "hey to me Pogba should have 14 of passing but he has 15", it's more like "hey Wan Bissaka has 20 on tackling". A 20 years old guy peaked as no one else in that attribute at that age? Not even Van Diyk or Ramos have 20 on tackling.

Just an example.

Cheers anyway and keep it up the good work!

Oh, it's not "nerfing", it's "assessing properly" maybe ;)

On 02/01/2021 at 19:00, Hav3n_The_Hero said:

Yep

look here

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/540201-ai-managers-not-trying-to-attack-when-they-are-behind/?tab=comments#comment-12886306

Does this make all the AI managers feel the same? In other words is Moyes basically as good as Pep? Or do we still have big differences.  

i usually edit the top managers to have them really be able to make a difference but thought I’d try this in FM21. 

3 minutes ago, ViG1980 said:

Does this make all the AI managers feel the same? In other words is Moyes basically as good as Pep? Or do we still have big differences.  

i usually edit the top managers to have them really be able to make a difference but thought I’d try this in FM21. 

They are still different. There is still a hierarchy. Basically, if the default game has 5 "world-class" managers, now there will be 15. if default has 40 great managers, now there will be 100. something like that. but there is still a hierarchy, and just because a manager now has 20 tactical knowledge, doesn't mean that his long-ball, poor-quality squad, with a short striker will be effective...lol

So they will still all be different, with their unique styles, teams, tactics, attributes, tendencies, and such.

ok thanks for this. Not yet bought the game - first time ever but some game-breaking bugs in there that need sorting out, including the very defensive AI.

Once they sought that out, will buy and use this!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 18:09, majesticeternity said:

Yes, that is a problem SI hasn’t fixed. 

the only thing I can do is increase attacking attribute for managers, which would have knock on effects to other parts of their style. Also, I don’t think it would change much, as SI seems to have made it a “code” that they don’t attack in the engine...

You should decrease Sitting Back attribute, not Attacking. Att is for Mentality. Cheers. 

On 04/01/2021 at 17:42, Federico said:

Hello @majesticeternity,

United have been OP since the games inception. Every year, every test, it's a financial imbalance because every single sponsorship deal in the editor renews ad infinitum leaving them basically loaded while ignoring the staggering debts.

54 minutes ago, CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon said:

United have been OP since the games inception. Every year, every test, it's a financial imbalance because every single sponsorship deal in the editor renews ad infinitum leaving them basically loaded while ignoring the staggering debts.

Yes, check my posts soon, for a new mod that will help that issue...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Really sorry, don't mean to bump up an old thread; but I am very keen to know how you determined what the minimum thresholds for attributes like determination, youngsters and tactical knowledge are.  Mostly guesswork or were you working off some official guidance?  thanks in advance