The Realism Thread

Im posting my story here if anyone is interested, Im a  head coach so im not involved with player and staff transfer negotiations but I do give recommendations to the DoF. I only show the attributes of regens (not real players), I do talk about players performing well for me and signings made and from time to time I show the player roles on my tactics screen (but don't show team instructions).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could probably have a go at making a skin that hides stars/numbers etc. I've not had much experience with FM skins in particular, but I am a developer, so I should probably be able to figure it out...

At least it will give me something to do whilst I wait for my game to load between games! I loaded 400+ divisions, and 1.2 million players, so even with my beast of a rig it's taking 2 hours to load one week. I do wish FM was better optimised for multithreading.

I'll post back here if I manage to get anywhere with the skin.

8 hours ago, HighwayCathedral said:

I could probably have a go at making a skin that hides stars/numbers etc. I've not had much experience with FM skins in particular, but I am a developer, so I should probably be able to figure it out...

At least it will give me something to do whilst I wait for my game to load between games! I loaded 400+ divisions, and 1.2 million players, so even with my beast of a rig it's taking 2 hours to load one week. I do wish FM was better optimised for multithreading.

1.2 MILLION?! 

Bloody hell lol

21 hours ago, HighwayCathedral said:

Wow lool, isnt that a bit of overkill? How is that even possible lol

2 hours to load one week is too much lol

On 11/12/2021 at 22:47, Platinum said:

Im posting my story here if anyone is interested, Im a  head coach so im not involved with player and staff transfer negotiations but I do give recommendations to the DoF. I only show the attributes of regens (not real players), I do talk about players performing well for me and signings made and from time to time I show the player roles on my tactics screen (but don't show team instructions).

I play in a similar way. I can be frustrating at times, but for sure increases realism. What's you experience so far playing with a DoF? He's also in charge of contract renewals in my game. For players I choose if I want to renew or not, but he does the negotiations. For coaching staff I do the hiring, but he's in charge of contracts. Renewals as well.

14 hours ago, Continum said:

I play in a similar way. I can be frustrating at times, but for sure increases realism. What's you experience so far playing with a DoF? He's also in charge of contract renewals in my game. For players I choose if I want to renew or not, but he does the negotiations. For coaching staff I do the hiring, but he's in charge of contracts. Renewals as well.

Yeah my DoF has the same responsibilities as yours. I choose players I want renewed and signed and then he/she does the negotiations. What do you mean by you do the hiring for coaching staff but hes in charge of contracts?

8 hours ago, Platinum said:

Yeah my DoF has the same responsibilities as yours. I choose players I want renewed and signed and then he/she does the negotiations. What do you mean by you do the hiring for coaching staff but hes in charge of contracts?

I mean that I don't get to choose if the contracts will be renewed. He make the decisions and negotiations. For players I decide who to renew, but he does the negotiations. But for staff he does both.

My DoF is pretty bad so he often fails to make an agreement when I add transfer targets. The contract negotiations aren't that good either. Are you happy with yours? Does he make good deals? I've also both my Chairman in charge of hiring the DoF and renew his contract. I like to follow the club hierarchy. 

3 hours ago, Continum said:

I mean that I don't get to choose if the contracts will be renewed. He make the decisions and negotiations. For players I decide who to renew, but he does the negotiations. But for staff he does both.

My DoF is pretty bad so he often fails to make an agreement when I add transfer targets. The contract negotiations aren't that good either. Are you happy with yours? Does he make good deals? I've also both my Chairman in charge of hiring the DoF and renew his contract. I like to follow the club hierarchy. 

Yeah I use my DoF in the exact same way and my Chairman is in charge of hiring/firing/renewing the DoF. I am in charge of hiring and extending the contract of my assistant manager and first team coaches though as I see that as my team that I would personally build, just like how a head of department would hire people for their team.

My DoF has really bad attributes and also often fails to negotiate contracts so I miss out on my first choice transfer targets a lot of the time. He does make some good deals though. I've lost some good players because my DoF wasn't able to renegotiate a good contract; for example I just lost my best and all time top goalscorer to a team in the league above because my DoF didn't want to match his salary demands (and rightly so because it would be a risky financial decision). But it's more realistic like this, no longer can I keep a top player in a lower league by abusing contracts. I also have to live with the promises that the DoF makes in contracts; for example I just had a youth player demand he gets a loan as part of his new contract whereas I would have preferred to have used the player sporadically in my first team.

Also I only sign players that have been scouted and I have the DoF in charge of scouting. But I will give focus priorities when I feel like one is needed and I make sure to make use of recruitment meetings.

There are two advantages to using the DOF like this 1. It's more realistic as being successful is about having a great team around you and the DoF is an integral role 2. Makes the game harder as the human often has advantages when dealing with recruitment and contracts

21 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Yeah I use my DoF in the exact same way and my Chairman is in charge of hiring/firing/renewing the DoF. I am in charge of hiring and extending the contract of my assistant manager and first team coaches though as I see that as my team that I would personally build, just like how a head of department would hire people for their team.

My DoF has really bad attributes and also often fails to negotiate contracts so I miss out on my first choice transfer targets a lot of the time. He does make some good deals though. I've lost some good players because my DoF wasn't able to renegotiate a good contract; for example I just lost my best and all time top goalscorer to a team in the league above because my DoF didn't want to match his salary demands (and rightly so because it would be a risky financial decision). But it's more realistic like this, no longer can I keep a top player in a lower league by abusing contracts. I also have to live with the promises that the DoF makes in contracts; for example I just had a youth player demand he gets a loan as part of his new contract whereas I would have preferred to have used the player sporadically in my first team.

Also I only sign players that have been scouted and I have the DoF in charge of scouting. But I will give focus priorities when I feel like one is needed and I make sure to make use of recruitment meetings.

There are two advantages to using the DOF like this 1. It's more realistic as being successful is about having a great team around you and the DoF is an integral role 2. Makes the game harder as the human often has advantages when dealing with recruitment and contracts

Do you notice DoF’s operating differently based on their stats? Every DoF I use seems to make the same signings etc. 

2 hours ago, casualassassin said:

Absolute SCENES at Court Place Farm. After leading the league through the entire season, the Oxford City lads faltered in the home stretch and Bath had caught up to me going into the final day, where I had my final match of the season against...Bath. We were tied in points, but they had a superior GD so I needed a win to seal the league. The game was basically even, with us having a couple extra shots but they held a 51-49 edge in possession. Once we hit the 80th I piled EVERYONE forward, running a Frankenstein 1-3-3-3 with everyone but my one center back on an attack duty. 90th rolls around, still 0-0, they add 5 minutes on. We get to the 95th minute and a highlight rolls around, however I just assumed it was the end of game highlight. 

My captain whips in a low cross, it somehow got through to my striker (who had 27 goals this season) at the far post who put it home to win the title! That goal also secured him the leading goalscorer for the league as well as sending us up to the National League. 

I've NEVER been so excited at a video game before, the feeling was incredible. 

Well done on the promotion!

2 hours ago, casualassassin said:

Absolute SCENES at Court Place Farm. After leading the league through the entire season, the Oxford City lads faltered in the home stretch and Bath had caught up to me going into the final day, where I had my final match of the season against...Bath. We were tied in points, but they had a superior GD so I needed a win to seal the league. The game was basically even, with us having a couple extra shots but they held a 51-49 edge in possession. Once we hit the 80th I piled EVERYONE forward, running a Frankenstein 1-3-3-3 with everyone but my one center back on an attack duty. 90th rolls around, still 0-0, they add 5 minutes on. We get to the 95th minute and a highlight rolls around, however I just assumed it was the end of game highlight. 

My captain whips in a low cross, it somehow got through to my striker (who had 27 goals this season) at the far post who put it home to win the title! That goal also secured him the leading goalscorer for the league as well as sending us up to the National League. 

I've NEVER been so excited at a video game before, the feeling was incredible. 

Congrats mate, that's what it's all about :thup:

I'm not quite sure how I missed this thread. Whilst I don't always play as a LLaMa manager these days I do still follow LLaMa rules and try to maintain realism in my thread.

Nice to see this still has a place within the FM community.

Got fed up of my Curzon Ashton save. Feel like I’ve done the English leagues to death over the years now it’s time for something new. I need to step right out of my comfort zone for a new challenge.

I made an appointment with the grey Llama and he has sent me to Hungary to inflict my managerial incapabilities on a club called Csakvar.

As my laptop is pretty old now I’ve only set up the surrounding countries and a small database, but I’ve haven’t been this intrigued by a save for a long time. New nations and clubs to explore.

Wish me, and especially them, luck.

9 hours ago, Platinum said:

We seem to play the game in a similiar way. I very much enjoy it.

On 12/12/2021 at 22:02, Platinum said:

Wow lool, isnt that a bit of overkill? How is that even possible lol

2 hours to load one week is too much lol

When I was a kid I always dreamed of having my own PC that was powerful enough to run every league in the world at full detail. That's not yet possible sadly, what with  there being a ridiculous number of leagues in real life, the death of Moore's Law, and the rising cost of computing.

But I can still sort-of achieve my dream of playing anywhere in the world.

What I tend to do is start off with a young career-manager (think Andre Vilas-Boas) and go anywhere I want with all possible league files loaded (including all modded ones I can find). Then, as I gain in reputation and climb the levels, I eliminate the lower levels from leagues according to whether my manager would ever consider managing there. So when I started I had Malaysia down to Level 11 or something ridiculous like that. Now I know in my heart of hearts that I'm never gonna manage there, but I'd get stressed out if from the get-go I was made to choose only my favourite leagues.

In my current save, I'm now confident my manager has progressed enough that they would never ever accept a job from below Malaysia Level 2. Therefore I've told the game to remove levels 3-11 at the next opportunity. So over time, the number of leagues and players I am processing should decrease. Generally-speaking, I will never totally eliminate a league from contention. So level 1 from every country will always be there. Some countries (like Brazil and Argentina) I will always keep as far down as possible because in real life other countries get a lot of utility out of signing their players.

It does mean that my current save file is running at 1.3 GB a time. Also, I just tested it, and it actually takes 3 hours per week! This was fine earlier in the season, because I could run it in the background, and take a break from work/housework every few hours to play a match. But the league structure I'm using for Turkmenistan (which I'm pretty sure isn't accurate to real life) gives them having a season break between 24th October and 24th February... which is a massive 4 months! I need to pay attention to some of that, so that's seveal days of tedious processing. But hopefully it should speed up a little soon because I've set swathes of leagues to vanish, and loads are disappearing in January.

What this slowness does do is give me time to potter around doing housework, and spend time with the girlfriend. So it kind of works xD

Plus my club is really meticulously organised now, because I have spare time to plan everything. Also it stops me from rushing rushing rushing to the next match, and burning myself out on FM.

Edited by HighwayCathedral

17 hours ago, anagain said:

I'm not quite sure how I missed this thread. Whilst I don't always play as a LLaMa manager these days I do still follow LLaMa rules and try to maintain realism in my thread.

Nice to see this still has a place within the FM community.

Yeah there's still a few of us about and this is a good place to chat about that kind of thing.  The rules aren't as strict here in terms of posting either so hopefully it will last a long while yet

17 hours ago, twattyatkins said:

Got fed up of my Curzon Ashton save. Feel like I’ve done the English leagues to death over the years now it’s time for something new. I need to step right out of my comfort zone for a new challenge.

I made an appointment with the grey Llama and he has sent me to Hungary to inflict my managerial incapabilities on a club called Csakvar.

As my laptop is pretty old now I’ve only set up the surrounding countries and a small database, but I’ve haven’t been this intrigued by a save for a long time. New nations and clubs to explore.

Wish me, and especially them, luck.

Glad the Old Grey Llama could be of service  :) 

I've never managed in Hungary before so let us know how you get on.  Seems like quite a challenge though based on their odds.  Good luck!

Hi all,

I recently found some time to get the Boston save going again. After promotion last year, our first year in the national league is coming towards the end and with 8 games to go, we are well settled in the playoff places! We are beating the odds (relegation places) and playing some decent football doing it.

After last years promotion succes, I quickly decided to keep most of the players on the team. Only some deadwood would be replaced and quality would be added when the opportunity was there. My DMC retired, an ageing centre back got sold and some non-playing players didn't get a new contract and got released. A new DMC and a DC was the main focus to strengthen the squad. I found both through players presenting themselves and taking them on trial. The DC was a youngster released from West Ham and the DMC a 31 year old released by Dagenham & Redbridge, but with plenty of playing time under his belt. A backup GK (Another West Ham youth player), another DC (youngster from Nottm Forrest) and a DL on loan from Doncaster (whom I was aiming for the year before) completed the summer transfers. Signing 2 young guys made my captain DC nervous, which came to a sale of the club captain and promising my veteran DR to closely watch the development of the young DC's and get a replacement if they couldn't handle first team football.

After a few games it became clear my striker department wasn't good enough. My first choice striker did a decent job, but his back ups weren't up to the task and a released Scunthorpe youngster signed for us to strengthen the attack. I was also worried about my backup wingers, but keeping the faith in them actually won me some points.

We had great results against high profile teams, we had our lows against relegation candidates, but we are looking at another season ending with play offs!

What is especially rewarding is the fact that I don't go player search rushing trying to get a team full of premier league rejects and overhauling the squad every year to get back to back promotions. Players are given a chance based on their performances. That 33 year old winger I was looking to sell, had his fair amount of game time because he scored his goals and got some assists when the superior AML didn't perform, A CM I signed last year as a back up was leading the midfield when my star player was not focused because he was getting attention from Wigan. My newly signed DC's kept our back four together and put a few corners in the back of the net. 

I still try to maintain the one hour drive rule for scouting and signing players (although I expanded it to 1,5h drive) apart from the players presenting themselves in the scouting centre. No player or staff search, no shortcuts and all the obvious LLM guidelines. 

Let's see if we can keep our playoff place until the end of the season and then let's see what we can do in the playoffs themselves!

9 hours ago, George_84 said:

Hi all,

I recently found some time to get the Boston save going again. After promotion last year, our first year in the national league is coming towards the end and with 8 games to go, we are well settled in the playoff places! We are beating the odds (relegation places) and playing some decent football doing it.

After last years promotion succes, I quickly decided to keep most of the players on the team. Only some deadwood would be replaced and quality would be added when the opportunity was there. My DMC retired, an ageing centre back got sold and some non-playing players didn't get a new contract and got released. A new DMC and a DC was the main focus to strengthen the squad. I found both through players presenting themselves and taking them on trial. The DC was a youngster released from West Ham and the DMC a 31 year old released by Dagenham & Redbridge, but with plenty of playing time under his belt. A backup GK (Another West Ham youth player), another DC (youngster from Nottm Forrest) and a DL on loan from Doncaster (whom I was aiming for the year before) completed the summer transfers. Signing 2 young guys made my captain DC nervous, which came to a sale of the club captain and promising my veteran DR to closely watch the development of the young DC's and get a replacement if they couldn't handle first team football.

After a few games it became clear my striker department wasn't good enough. My first choice striker did a decent job, but his back ups weren't up to the task and a released Scunthorpe youngster signed for us to strengthen the attack. I was also worried about my backup wingers, but keeping the faith in them actually won me some points.

We had great results against high profile teams, we had our lows against relegation candidates, but we are looking at another season ending with play offs!

What is especially rewarding is the fact that I don't go player search rushing trying to get a team full of premier league rejects and overhauling the squad every year to get back to back promotions. Players are given a chance based on their performances. That 33 year old winger I was looking to sell, had his fair amount of game time because he scored his goals and got some assists when the superior AML didn't perform, A CM I signed last year as a back up was leading the midfield when my star player was not focused because he was getting attention from Wigan. My newly signed DC's kept our back four together and put a few corners in the back of the net. 

I still try to maintain the one hour drive rule for scouting and signing players (although I expanded it to 1,5h drive) apart from the players presenting themselves in the scouting centre. No player or staff search, no shortcuts and all the obvious LLM guidelines. 

Let's see if we can keep our playoff place until the end of the season and then let's see what we can do in the playoffs themselves!

Big fan of giving older players a chance, people are way too quick to get rid.  

Keep the updates coming mate, i'm keen to see how you get on in the playoffs  :) 

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Big fan of giving older players a chance, people are way too quick to get rid.  

Keep the updates coming mate, i'm keen to see how you get on in the playoffs  :) 

I created a shortlist for veterans. I like to have a few who don’t bother not playing every game but who can still ad value to the game. A central midfielder with low pace but great passing ability, a towering targetman who is a living battering ram or the experienced fullback who lost his place to a youngster and drops down a division or two to show the kids he still got it.

Currently in 3th position, 3 games to go!

Back to back promotions for Boston United! 

Confidence was high in the final stretch of the season, especially because my 33 year old winger got in a Messi-like form and scored a bunch of important goals. The first objectieve was to stay on that 3th place to give me an edge in the playoffs which we did with a game to go. This gave me the opportunity to rest a few key players as result didn’t matter (but we still grabbed the win).

Then the real deal began. Having lost my 31 year old DM to a career ending knee injury in the last few games and my first choice striker being out for 6 weeks with an ankle injury, creativity and a team effort was needed to secure victory in the semi finale against dagenham & redbridge. We dominate the game but D&R score in the first half in their only opportunity. A deadly counter puts out feet back on the ground and we need to respond. Going more and more attacking as time goes by, an unreal effort by our beloved 33 year old flies in the top corner! 1-1, extra time is secured! We keep going full on kamikaze to secure the winning goal and an excellent pass from the midfield finds our veteran winger in the box, a cool finish gives is the lead and we start digging our trenches for the final 10 minutes. D&R however don’t seem to be able to fabricate anything to give them a but of hope and we make it to the finals!

Southend is our next opponent. They beat Barnet by 5-0, so we are warned. The only chance to the line up is our taller, more physical striker coming up for the more intelligent, passing type of striker. A cautious approach seems reasonable given the 5-0 battering they gave Barnet. We get some chances in the opening stages, but soon most of the initiative comes from Southend. A nervewrecking game sees neither of the teams making good chances and extra time doesn’t bring any goals aswell. Penalties it is. Both teams manage to score their first 3. We manage to score our 4th (the veteran!) and our GK saves their 4th! Absolute devastation as we go in missing our fifth penalty, but joy returns to the team as our GK saves their last bit of hope! We are going up! 

On 18/12/2021 at 23:42, George_84 said:

Back to back promotions for Boston United! 

Confidence was high in the final stretch of the season, especially because my 33 year old winger got in a Messi-like form and scored a bunch of important goals. The first objectieve was to stay on that 3th place to give me an edge in the playoffs which we did with a game to go. This gave me the opportunity to rest a few key players as result didn’t matter (but we still grabbed the win).

Then the real deal began. Having lost my 31 year old DM to a career ending knee injury in the last few games and my first choice striker being out for 6 weeks with an ankle injury, creativity and a team effort was needed to secure victory in the semi finale against dagenham & redbridge. We dominate the game but D&R score in the first half in their only opportunity. A deadly counter puts out feet back on the ground and we need to respond. Going more and more attacking as time goes by, an unreal effort by our beloved 33 year old flies in the top corner! 1-1, extra time is secured! We keep going full on kamikaze to secure the winning goal and an excellent pass from the midfield finds our veteran winger in the box, a cool finish gives is the lead and we start digging our trenches for the final 10 minutes. D&R however don’t seem to be able to fabricate anything to give them a but of hope and we make it to the finals!

Southend is our next opponent. They beat Barnet by 5-0, so we are warned. The only chance to the line up is our taller, more physical striker coming up for the more intelligent, passing type of striker. A cautious approach seems reasonable given the 5-0 battering they gave Barnet. We get some chances in the opening stages, but soon most of the initiative comes from Southend. A nervewrecking game sees neither of the teams making good chances and extra time doesn’t bring any goals aswell. Penalties it is. Both teams manage to score their first 3. We manage to score our 4th (the veteran!) and our GK saves their 4th! Absolute devastation as we go in missing our fifth penalty, but joy returns to the team as our GK saves their last bit of hope! We are going up! 

Well done mate, you're much better at this than me  :D

Don't think i've made it into the league for years!

5 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Well done mate, you're much better at this than me  :D

Don't think i've made it into the league for years!

Boston is a decent club to start with. Already promotion kandidates at the start, a decent Squad, finances are good and a new stadium at the end of the first season. 
Being patient with getting new players also helped the squad to gel together and comparing potential signings to the existing Squad helped me to see past the starratings. 

Still not finding it easy, but at least I'm making a fight of it.  Taffs Well can do one, they've gone above me after a 2-0 win, both goals scored by players I had offered contracts to who were on trial with me.  

image.png.3c015ddd6f75b90e47cb1f1c48d7a11e.png

Edited by Junkhead

42 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Still not finding it easy, but at least I'm making a fight of it.  Taffs Well can do one, they've gone above me after a 2-0 win, both goals scored by players I had offered contracts to who were on trial with me.  

image.png.3c015ddd6f75b90e47cb1f1c48d7a11e.png

Ah that must be annoying for those two players to score against you. It looks like if you can get a few draws instead of losses you should be able to survive, you're very much in with a shout of surviving.

In my save it's getting to crunch time, I'm in with a shout of promotion via a playoff place but only if we can go on a winning run (with no losses lol) till the end of the season. I updated my Career Story today and will be doing further updates today bringing it all the way to March. Its an exciting time, and I'm in a winnable cup semi final too.

11 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Ah that must be annoying for those two players to score against you. It looks like if you can get a few draws instead of losses you should be able to survive, you're very much in with a shout of surviving.

Was initially just happy not to come bottom as this is the worst playable team in the game.  However, now it's so close, I'm desperate to stay up.

19 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

If you are offered a job that appears to be far fetched IRL do you accept? It's unrealistic for a Championship or League One Manager to be offered a Liverpool position but it would be unrealistic for one to turn the offer down.

I think it is possible. Plenty of young coaches get high profile jobs because of the right connections or their player history (Solskjaer, Arteta, Nagelsmann).  But I would keep in mind that a move to a high profile club with massive expectations could burn your career when you don’t perform. 
So i believe it is realistic for big clubs to try and get the next wonderkid manager, but I think you should consider the circumstances the club are in (old squad, unrealistic expectations, …) to see of your ready to leave your club for a new challenge.

Just realised I havent won a league or cup (excluding playoff wins) since FM14.

To give some more context 

FM14: Played as Nottingham Forest who started in the championship. Made them one of the best teams in Europe but I used to save scum back then.

FM19: My FM14 save lasted me until 2018 so ths was my next FM game. Played as Cheltenham Town in league 2 and got them to the Premiership,  but I only ever got promoted by being 2nd or winning the playoffs. Also I never won a cup. 

FM21: I started in Vanarama South and only played 1 and a half seasons and didnt get promoted or win a cup. I didnt like FM21 much so didnt get past 1 and a half seasons.

FM22: I'm in my final match of the season. I have a chance of getting promoted through the playoffs.

Edited by Platinum

Had to drop my save due to technical problems. I was doing really well but these things happen...

I will take a short break and restart unemplyed, of course. I'll follow the same rules as before (page 18, but I added a few rules to the rules post)

Edited by AEJ

On 23/12/2021 at 17:15, Garethjohn79 said:

If you are offered a job that appears to be far fetched IRL do you accept? It's unrealistic for a Championship or League One Manager to be offered a Liverpool position but it would be unrealistic for one to turn the offer down.

I'd say it was unrealistic to be fair.  I think you have to use your instincts in these situations

On 24/12/2021 at 19:27, Platinum said:

Just realised I havent won a league or cup (excluding playoff wins) since FM14.

To give some more context 

FM14: Played as Nottingham Forest who started in the championship. Made them one of the best teams in Europe but I used to save scum back then.

FM19: My FM14 save lasted me until 2018 so ths was my next FM game. Played as Cheltenham Town in league 2 and got them to the Premiership,  but I only ever got promoted by being 2nd or winning the playoffs. Also I never won a cup. 

FM21: I started in Vanarama South and only played 1 and a half seasons and didnt get promoted or win a cup. I didnt like FM21 much so didnt get past 1 and a half seasons.

FM22: I'm in my final match of the season. I have a chance of getting promoted through the playoffs.

Same here, won nothing for quite a while, never personally seen the on pitch animation after a success.  No less fun though

On 26/12/2021 at 11:27, Brother Ben said:

Same here, won nothing for quite a while, never personally seen the on pitch animation after a success.  No less fun though

Until recently only won a Vanarama South title, had a topscorer, most assists, best overall player, manager of the year and some playoff promotions. But big part of the fun is stuff like your top player getting pouched by a big club and selling him for decent money (60k in the VNS!), giving young top league rejects a chance and they are actually performing, seeing your tactical changes actually make an impact or the unexpected hero who turns your games or form around.

How is everyone going with the saves? In terms of realism, enjoyment, stability, latest patches resolving bugs.

I've just finished renovating my home office and received my Club Shirt in the mail from the UK for Christmas. 

Interested to hear if any major game changing issues.. or it's finally time to kick off my one FM22 save game. 

Hey guys, love the play style playing myself in a similare way for allmost all my saves.

having an isue with the DOF this year it seems, having him set to sign and initiat all player transfers only thing the sign an entire bloody squad, playing at a lvl where there are still posible to sign players on non contracts might be part of it, but my two different Dof´s , the first one retired from being old, have now together signed 27 players over 2 seasons 3 on theme on loan but is still

way to many for my liking, so how would you deal with it in a new save (allmost certain I am going to start over when I first got this feel something is off I seem to loose the interest )

so I just Accept that the Dof signs loads of players and dealing with a large team of players you don´t really need is part of managing ,or should I take charge of the initianing part my self to limit the amount of signins.

I really don´t like to have to sign players thou what do you guys do ??

It has by now way anything to do with the quality of players signed I accept and play with what I get but the Sheer amount seems unrealistik

Edit: dof also sign way to many a exspensive staff members but that allways seems to be the case every year so kind of gotten use to it if anyone have an idea around this one it would be awesome.

Edited by Mga77

2 hours ago, Mga77 said:

Hey guys, love the play style playing myself in a similare way for allmost all my saves.

having an isue with the DOF this year it seems, having him set to sign and initiat all player transfers only thing the sign an entire bloody squad, playing at a lvl where there are still posible to sign players on non contracts might be part of it, but my two different Dof´s , the first one retired from being old, have now together signed 27 players over 2 seasons 3 on theme on loan but is still

way to many for my liking, so how would you deal with it in a new save (allmost certain I am going to start over when I first got this feel something is off I seem to loose the interest )

so I just Accept that the Dof signs loads of players and dealing with a large team of players you don´t really need is part of managing ,or should I take charge of the initianing part my self to limit the amount of signins.

I really don´t like to have to sign players thou what do you guys do ??

It has by now way anything to do with the quality of players signed I accept and play with what I get but the Sheer amount seems unrealistik

Edit: dof also sign way to many a exspensive staff members but that allways seems to be the case every year so kind of gotten use to it if anyone have an idea around this one it would be awesome.

I would delegate initiating and negotiating signings to the DoF but keep control of 'finalises signings' for yourself. That way you still get final say but the DoF does all the legwork of finding the players and making the deals.

I think this is a much more realistic approach than giving the DoF full control and the manager having 0 input on signings. Can't think of many managers who would want to operate that way in real life.

I usually  having that one on but I don´t really like using it  in my exprience if you say no to a signing, the press start asking you questions as to why you canneled the transfer so its more like you pulling out of the deal after having agreed with the player on everything , I could ofcourse allways just ignore the press, even thou it seems tiresome,

but what are the longterm consequsences if you keep using that trick as a manager wouldn´t you get a seriously bad rep with players and agents.(agents are rarely a problem at the lvls i play on but still .)  might still be one of the better solutions, after all to just use the ability just feel kind of cheap to get to cannel all the bad economical deals the dof make and keep the good ones , but guess it beats him signing an entire starting lineup, pr season worth of players.

anyone ever tried limeting the dof in either time or numbers of transfers pr window before you take over yourself and don´t sign anyone , like maybe he work the 1st week or last week of the window

or until he has sign x amount of players or something and then you can just take over yourself and sign no one . not sure if I like that or if its more realistick

Something of an unusual "how to add realism" suggestion that I've started doing (Especially being home more due to the pandemic, it adds alot of fun)

For unemployed saves, play out the manager's career, to whatever degree you like.

You can make it simple and just calculate your salary vs expenses, and see if you can afford to take the job.

Or you can delve into things more, and use the internet to find a place to "rent/buy" that you can afford. Figure out or "buy" your transportation. Even "travel" and find places nearby you'd frequent IRL.

Example:

I got hired in Dec to one of the worst clubs in Northern Ireland's 3rd tier, bottom of the league.  Only given 17k pounds/year, no negotiation. Now stuck in someone's basement in Magherafelt for 1 year, riding the bus to the playing field. Had to take out a personal loan to make ends meet. Now, it's 10 months later, and while the club is happy with me, if I don't get a better job nearby, I think I'll be sunk before I get going! *Here's to hoping the insecure N.Ireland managers get sacked soon!*

Maybe a bit odd, but I find it adds more dimension to the game, and some fun "travels"!

8 hours ago, majesticeternity said:

Something of an unusual "how to add realism" suggestion that I've started doing (Especially being home more due to the pandemic, it adds alot of fun)

For unemployed saves, play out the manager's career, to whatever degree you like.

You can make it simple and just calculate your salary vs expenses, and see if you can afford to take the job.

Or you can delve into things more, and use the internet to find a place to "rent/buy" that you can afford. Figure out or "buy" your transportation. Even "travel" and find places nearby you'd frequent IRL.

Example:

I got hired in Dec to one of the worst clubs in Northern Ireland's 3rd tier, bottom of the league.  Only given 17k pounds/year, no negotiation. Now stuck in someone's basement in Magherafelt for 1 year, riding the bus to the playing field. Had to take out a personal loan to make ends meet. Now, it's 10 months later, and while the club is happy with me, if I don't get a better job nearby, I think I'll be sunk before I get going! *Here's to hoping the insecure N.Ireland managers get sacked soon!*

Maybe a bit odd, but I find it adds more dimension to the game, and some fun "travels"!

I'm so this guy too  :D

7 hours ago, ViG1980 said:

Love this thread. 

Quick q - there is no injury mod for FM22 yet right?

There is, look for Nik33’s extended injuries system on the steam workshop.