5122 for Spurs help

Hi All,

I'm looking for help with the below tactic. In particular the underlap and overlap instructions. Who would be underlapping in this system? My thoughts are that all 3 players will be involved the mezzala, AF, and left wingback looking to focus play inside left channel? Any suggestions would be gratefully received

image.thumb.png.371ed0511e62b1f5c54bc62490263278.png

Apart from potential tactical flaws, I am wondering why have you decided to use this very bottom-heavy formation for a top team like Spurs? :confused: 

Now, when it comes to the purely tactical aspect, here is my two pennies worth: 

- Prevent short GKD makes little to no sense when you have only 2 players up front

- the mezzala would make more sense on support duty, whereas the RWB could/should be given an attack duty

- if you use a playmaker in DM (regista in this case), you basically don't need 2 BPDs behind him, as they are likely to limit his influence

Other suggestions would depend on the style of play you want to implement, which is very hard to figure out from what your tactic currently looks like. 

Thanks for your response.

I am looking for a fast paced counter attacking system, I suppose a cross between Gegenpressing and fluid counter. With Son as the main outlet, I am playing wide as to stretch the ptich and make more space for a through ball to Son. AM I correct in this?

I am guessing the regista is inpractical and yes the right back would be better on attack but neither Doherty or Aurier are good enough in my opinion.

What would you change to get this tactic working better?  Are my thoughts on underlap down the left correct? And help make space for Son and the mezzala? Also Looking for overlap on right is not typically counter attacking football I am guessing.

Just finished the season 3rd in the prem and Uefa cup winners, so not too bad. Could do better though!!

Please let me know your thoughts

Just now, Corperate said:

I am looking for a fast paced counter attacking system, I suppose a cross between Gegenpressing and fluid counter

A cross between gegenpress and fluid counter sounds very interesting, but the bottom-heavy formation is still a big problem. 

4 minutes ago, Corperate said:

With Son as the main outlet, I am playing wide as to stretch the ptich and make more space for a through ball to Son. AM I correct in this?

Honestly, not really. There are more effective ways to achieve that than increasing the width. I had a simple 4231 tactic in which my AMC was regularly playing beautiful killer balls to the (lone) striker without any need for me to ever change the width. 

8 minutes ago, Corperate said:

I am guessing the regista is inpractical

The regista himself is not a problem (although Winks does not look like an ideal choice for the role). The problem are 2 BPDs behind him, especially the one immediately behind. 

9 minutes ago, Corperate said:

and yes the right back would be better on attack but neither Doherty or Aurier are good enough in my opinion

What's exactly wrong with them in terms of being played as a WB on attack duty? 

11 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Are my thoughts on underlap down the left correct?

The underlap instruction encourages players on that flank - in your tactic it's the left one - to look to play passes to any teammate making a central run (as opposed to an overlap). So in this case most such passes are likely to be played by the LWB to the mezzala and AF. 

18 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Also Looking for overlap on right is not typically counter attacking football I am guessing

Given that your formation is narrow, the only effect that the overlap instructions has is to slightly increase the mentality of the related wing-back (RWB). 

20 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Just finished the season 3rd in the prem and Uefa cup winners, so not too bad

It's actually very good, especially taking into account the weaknesses of your tactic :thup: 

21 minutes ago, Corperate said:

What would you change to get this tactic working better? 

I would first change the formation. For the style of play you want to achieve, a 424 (with 2 DMs) could be an option to think about. Or the 4231, also with 2 DMs.