FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

image.png.7683d61d303683d89c38e460c285ccb8.png

PETERBOROUGH UNITED - SEASON 2022/23 PREVIEW

Well, the Premier League. I didn't think we'd be anywhere close to promotion from the Championship in our first season there, but my players put in some outstanding performances in the second half of the season and we charged up the table into the play-offs, beating West Brom and Hull to get up.

This, however, is a different kettle of fish. The Premier League is no joke and our squad was nowhere near the standards required. 

I wanted to bring Michael Obafemi back, however Southampton refused a permanent deal and having only two long-term domestic loans meant I had to replace his goals elsewhere. Very pleased with the business we've done so far. Joining the club: Lawrence Shankland (free from Dundee United), Matty Cash (£5.5m relegation clause from Middlesbrough), Lewis Ferguson (£2m from Aberdeen), Callum O'Hare (£2.3m from Coventry), Kasey Palmer (£500k from Bristol City), Altay Bayindir (£4.7m from Fenerbahce), Ben Woodburn (free from Liverpool), Georgy Djikia (£1.9m from Chongqing), Stipe Biuk (£4.5m from Hajduk), Jamie Hamilton (£600k from Hamilton) and Abdulkadir Omur (a record £12.5m from Trabzonspor).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6c721c8b877cd58045fde92423a26405.png

image.thumb.png.9fbabfe163e7f13cdc85da9cf2e776dd.png

image.thumb.png.d07d8b62b37a01d5eb5dd3bc1c816da1.png

image.thumb.png.154d007c58852df51993277eafce6eb3.png

image.thumb.png.06d0eb84ca56184145888305476d8067.png

image.thumb.png.b6209dca7ced0980b0031f03e87cb1cc.png

image.thumb.png.d7df61beb23942bb7ea18bdce85cede8.png

image.thumb.png.1dceb6e91842be5f92ffea372be32a0d.png

image.thumb.png.9cef89e300432133567f6cca3b2ddab1.png

image.thumb.png.a163d9ea56f8c0ceab05cc093437bbb4.png

image.thumb.png.25142b7090bfbd82f7133d847026fe07.png

Really pleased with the business I've done and I'm hopeful, if not confident, of staying up this season. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the Saturday before the start of the 2021/22 season, and I've just finished the preseason friendlies. Most of them were against the likes of Everton and Leeds, with matches against smaller teams mixed in.

Two loan signings have been made, both arriving from Manchester United.

The first is Spanish full back, Álvaro Fernández. The 18 year old is really highly rated by my staff, and immediately is made favourite to win the League Two player of the season award.

image.thumb.png.70065708a6b299f6839c8cd16148f913.png

The next player to arrive is 18 year old Dutch centre back, Bjorn Hardley. Whilst hes not as highly rated as his Spanish colleague, he still offers more than enough at this level.

RR6HkYq.png

6 hours ago, robterrace said:

I'm using a test injury file, not had two broken legs yet though.

I know it's random, 80% of real life, yadda yadda... but I can only remember one player having a broken leg in any save, in any version of FM. Law of averages, I suppose :rolleyes:

Bradford City Season 10 (2029/2030):

I continue the evolution of the team, trying to rely less on loans and more on good young players from wherever we can get them. This is easier for some positions than others, my old-fashioned 4-4-2 with wingers doesn't have that many options without having to retrain someone from attacking wing positions, there being very few natural midfielder right/left players.

Man Utd and Ben MacKenzie agree for him to stay another season on loan which is great for the right wing. Pacheo on the left, seemed like he was going to come on, but another red card to make it 3 in the first 15 games convinces me he's not worth more patience.

Antonio Bianco, an attacking left back arrives from Anderlecht for £16.75m, Panagiotis Kotatis is a Greek left winger meant to replace Pacheo but only 18 years old, still costs is £10.25m from Olympiakos. Rounding off inward transfers is a right back from Everton they signed from River Plate 4 seasons ago and has although hasn't even been sent out on loan, is a big improvement for us.

Outbound transfers is a long list of loans and small transfers of younger players not up to the grade. Although Dusty Burke, our American right winger, attracts interest from Brentford and leaves for £5.75m.

League performance:

We actually ended up 1 point and 1 place worse off than last season. We lost the first 5 games of the season, Ben MacKenzie had damaged his knee cartilage against the Metropolitan Police in pre-season and then injured his knee cap for the U23s in his recovery phase, out for 8 weeks in total. We still miss any first teamer.

Ben's return sparked a reversal of 4 games winning. January was another poor month but we finished strong in March and April. 

317367784_BS10league.PNG.099801796043a4d7970c26135be3bec7.PNG

Highlight of the season was Samuel Madrigal, a £2m signing from Junior in Colombia, continuing our connection with that country. Samuel finished as the Premiership top scorer, winning the players' young player of the season and picking up the European Golden Shoe(!?),

As we've improved our cup form has regressed, FM loading on pressure and making it a real struggle for the bigger teams.

Youth Academy:

In our many seasons in the Championship, with the odd large fee received here and there, I pushed the board on facilities and we did get to exceptional academy coaching.

Anthony Selasi: reports look good but he's got a long way to go on technical and mental attributes to get into the team regularly. Loaned him to Cardiff who aren't playing him.

Spoiler

1928785554_Selasi1.thumb.PNG.0f7c4a6cbc1ce6c6c67bb7ce1e80474d.PNG447388878_Selasi2.PNG.d0066f0a5d5a2c1d24e806b1b58d2498.PNG

Nikola Babic: not sure how we got a Croatian/South African/English graduate come through while in the Championship but we did. He could be good enough for our creative forward role in the future. I'm going to keep him in and around the first team squad this season and see how he progresses.

Spoiler

745813004_Babic1.thumb.PNG.e20db33dedcb820f65cc4002d427fb2e.PNG

220091454_Babic2.PNG.97dcfdae7b07ce41107e1214a60044cd.PNG

Harry Allen: Potentially the most likely to become a first team regular. Strongest in the mental attributes, if we can get his technical ability up, the weaker physicals don't worry me that much.

Spoiler

1262523718_Allen1.thumb.PNG.c630d13b7233ba9286e6710632ef91cb.PNG

1230769511_Allen2.PNG.de8b511c0bc6404b83ff4f59363c9882.PNG

Strangely the youth intakes haven't been as good when reaching the Premiership, I did switch to what I thought was an improved Head of Youth Development (better personality, preferred 4-4-2) but so far it's not worked out. Expectations can get too high with academies, potentially 3 players is a good return on investment.

Edited by Parmie

So I was relegated in the end with my first season in the premier league with Bristol City. Sent down on the final day, always was going to be close with the run in we had to the end of the season. image.png.c9d88237a8cdca2dd353e756af344ffc.png

Didn't help matters I lost more-or-less my only capable striker (Marcus Forss) broke his foot and missed the majority off the second part of the season. 

I thought to myself earlier in the season it wouldn't be the worst thing ever if we went down. The club is setup beautifully for the future, paying well below par on the page bill and having a fairly youthful, inexpensive squad in general. 
Currently halfway through pre-season, the clubs balance sits at over 100million, and I have an available transfer budget of over 68 million, in the Championship. And I don't particularly need or want to spend it. 
We lost one or 2 star players, but we have capable replacements and I'd say we're in a good position to bounce straight back up.

Transfers
image.thumb.png.373d2200201bc89a2bf72bd84ca83577.png

image.png.2a345f1cd259c25d3692508cc81ae734.png

Like I said, haven't gone mad. Nor do I want to. Proud of the business done in the goalkeeping department. Bentley shipping to Spurs for a lovely fee and bringing a more younger, higher in quality (I hope) in Pontus Dahlberg.

I really do need to ship more out and trim the squad down, but I'm having trouble deciding who! Haha. No panic, wages are in a good spot and the club are in a great position financially. It's just trying to keep them all happy!

Best 11:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.11c0a72e482b17c682ce75268164e4c3.png

Tyreek Bakinson the only survivor from the core squad really, although many are still in the bench/reserves and poised to make an impact. 

On 13/12/2020 at 22:24, warlock said:

Sometimes these things can't be explained. But it gives me hope for Forss in the second season - he's only shown glimpses of his ability in season 1 at Brentford.

Couldn't really asked much more of him in his first season for me. Fought hard in the prem, slow start but started scoring soon enough. The broken foot was a major set back. Hope it doesn't impact his potential too much but have noticed finishing has gone down a notch or two. Let me know if you want a glimpse at his profile. 

Edited by BCFC_Mike

Always been a fan of Okenabirhie in real life, couldn't believe I got him at the price I did and I thin it's the best 140k I've ever spent, he's scored 4 in one game on three occasions this season.

Lost on penalties in the play-off final last season but I am romping it this season.

Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 17.16.20.png

Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 17.19.40.png

1 hour ago, BCFC_Mike said:

The club is setup beautifully for the future

Looks like :cool:. Hope you can rebound.

Forss is still frustrating - will have a great game, then be completely anonymous for the next two or three.

Pretty tense final day in my save:

image.png.c8979c2b03caef45ab8c4685247f8a5f.png

We visit Bristol City for our last game - anything could happen in the last 90 minutes!!

Well, we squeaked through on the narrowest of margins:

image.png.98c72800da0698bf07ab1c44b1645b65.png

When Wells grabbed the equalizer in the 72nd minute we were down in 3rd place with Bournemouth winning against Stoke. So I was pleasantly surprised when promotion was confirmed at the final whistle - turned out that Stoke had grabbed an equalizer of their own in the 82nd minute!

image.png.de8438cd27ba91492b4acb6ed4dc82cc.png

Hard to criticise Toney for 23 goals if not for the fact that more consistency in the middle of the season could have seen him bag 30-plus. Forss finished with 12 and Sergi Canos scored 9 on top of his 10 assists. Biggest disappointment of the season was new signing Ben Pearson. He never performed and it looks like his best days are behind him. Loan signing Sam Ghoddos at AML has already been signed to a permanent deal, but - sadly - it looks as though Palace won't let Tyrick Mitchell leave for anything like an affordable price (although, I've just checked and Palace are just above the PL dropzone with 3 games to go so things might change!)

The board have provided a £38.5m transfer budget and the key requirements will probably be a replacement for Mitchell at LB, a better option at RB than Henrik Dalsgaard, who has declined notably this season, and a striker. Toney is now rated a decent PL striker by my coaches, and Forss undoubtedly has room to grow, but I'd like another option to push both of them.

This save was only ever intended as a decent introduction to FM21, but having won promotion it would be a shame to walk away now. So I'm aiming to give it at least one more season and see how we go.

On 14/12/2020 at 14:36, karanhsingh said:

Interesting tactic, do you get enough width from the full backs? or do the strikers pull into the channels too?

In fact, same question for @Jogo Bonito - rare to see a flat back 5.

When we're higher up the pitch, the accumulated pressure of my swamped central midfield causes most teams to defend really narrow and that leaves my WBs free, usually not far from the side edges of the box. They end up receiving the ball in a lot of space and drive in ready for a cross/shot. Matthews (my RB) has scored 7 this season already and might even be a lot more but I rotate a lot.

Also the AI has started adapting so I've recently switched to two AFs up front and both have instructions to stay wider. It's working well in providing width when needed and stretching the defence.

Despite my league standing, the strikers are proving themselves to be woeful. Looking forward to seeing what this system can do with some decent players up top next season.

Edited by ScottParker

14 hours ago, BCFC_Mike said:

So I was relegated in the end with my first season in the premier league with Bristol City. Sent down on the final day, always was going to be close with the run in we had to the end of the season. image.png.c9d88237a8cdca2dd353e756af344ffc.png

Didn't help matters I lost more-or-less my only capable striker (Marcus Forss) broke his foot and missed the majority off the second part of the season. 

I thought to myself earlier in the season it wouldn't be the worst thing ever if we went down. The club is setup beautifully for the future, paying well below par on the page bill and having a fairly youthful, inexpensive squad in general. 
Currently halfway through pre-season, the clubs balance sits at over 100million, and I have an available transfer budget of over 68 million, in the Championship. And I don't particularly need or want to spend it. 
We lost one or 2 star players, but we have capable replacements and I'd say we're in a good position to bounce straight back up.

Transfers
image.thumb.png.373d2200201bc89a2bf72bd84ca83577.png

image.png.2a345f1cd259c25d3692508cc81ae734.png

Like I said, haven't gone mad. Nor do I want to. Proud of the business done in the goalkeeping department. Bentley shipping to Spurs for a lovely fee and bringing a more younger, higher in quality (I hope) in Pontus Dahlberg.

I really do need to ship more out and trim the squad down, but I'm having trouble deciding who! Haha. No panic, wages are in a good spot and the club are in a great position financially. It's just trying to keep them all happy!

Best 11:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.11c0a72e482b17c682ce75268164e4c3.png

Tyreek Bakinson the only survivor from the core squad really, although many are still in the bench/reserves and poised to make an impact. 

Couldn't really asked much more of him in his first season for me. Fought hard in the prem, slow start but started scoring soon enough. The broken foot was a major set back. Hope it doesn't impact his potential too much but have noticed finishing has gone down a notch or two. Let me know if you want a glimpse at his profile. 

Good to see you continue to build for the future. I see we have a common player as well in Woolfenden.

6 hours ago, warlock said:

Well, we squeaked through on the narrowest of margins:

image.png.98c72800da0698bf07ab1c44b1645b65.png

When Wells grabbed the equalizer in the 72nd minute we were down in 3rd place with Bournemouth winning against Stoke. So I was pleasantly surprised when promotion was confirmed at the final whistle - turned out that Stoke had grabbed an equalizer of their own in the 82nd minute!

image.png.de8438cd27ba91492b4acb6ed4dc82cc.png

Hard to criticise Toney for 23 goals if not for the fact that more consistency in the middle of the season could have seen him bag 30-plus. Forss finished with 12 and Sergi Canos scored 9 on top of his 10 assists. Biggest disappointment of the season was new signing Ben Pearson. He never performed and it looks like his best days are behind him. Loan signing Sam Ghoddos at AML has already been signed to a permanent deal, but - sadly - it looks as though Palace won't let Tyrick Mitchell leave for anything like an affordable price (although, I've just checked and Palace are just above the PL dropzone with 3 games to go so things might change!)

The board have provided a £38.5m transfer budget and the key requirements will probably be a replacement for Mitchell at LB, a better option at RB than Henrik Dalsgaard, who has declined notably this season, and a striker. Toney is now rated a decent PL striker by my coaches, and Forss undoubtedly has room to grow, but I'd like another option to push both of them.

This save was only ever intended as a decent introduction to FM21, but having won promotion it would be a shame to walk away now. So I'm aiming to give it at least one more season and see how we go.

Very well done!! I would agree on the need for a better striker in the PL. Will you send Forss out on loan then?

3 hours ago, ScottParker said:

When we're higher up the pitch, the accumulated pressure of my swamped central midfield causes most teams to defend really narrow and that leaves my WBs free, usually not far from the side edges of the box. They end up receiving the ball in a lot of space and drive in ready for a cross/shot. Matthews (my RB) has scored 7 this season already and might even be a lot more but I rotate a lot.

Also the AI has started adapting so I've recently switched to two AFs up front and both have instructions to stay wider. It's working well in providing width when needed and stretching the defence.

Despite my league standing, the strikers are proving themselves to be woeful. Looking forward to seeing what this system can do with some decent players up top next season.

Interesting - I will definitely give this shape a shot maybe in a future save. I loved my 3-5-2 experiment with Aston Villa on FM20.

Derby 2022 close season update

Final transfer business:

INS

in4.jpg.b66ba012f7a49f25222bd41639899d77.jpg

in3.jpg.43ba9993313b490dc8c8f3a365a05467.jpg

OUTS

out1.jpg.b462489f2afced9fe33af865b56bf01b.jpg

So we went easy after those first 3 massive transfers, just bringing back a couple of Englishmen from abroad - Keenan Bennetts & Ronaldo Vieira. Just squad rotation options really. 

Had some good news from the ticket office.

tickets.jpg.52c40f9256787d02a43399cdb4e76ab7.jpg

And so far so good on the fixtures front too.

fixtures9.jpg.6219bf06568914844f66b2660c311feb.jpg

Got a bit lucky at Palace as they had a man sent off in the first half, but then we really put them to the sword. 

7 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Will you send Forss out on loan then?

Good question. I'm already re-thinking the decision to carry on - I really want to get stuck in to a long-term project, so I think I'll park the Brentford save and may return to it in future. The search is on for the next challenge.

22 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

it looks like the usual EPL reluctance has hit you again :lol: 

Yeah, saw it coming too! Briefly thought I might handle the promotion but when everyone started demanding new contracts... :onmehead:

17 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck, two from three by the look of it.

cheers been quite the season so far tbf i will settle for playoffs defiantly feel like I'm overachieving 

17 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck, two from three by the look of it.

Edited by Brutalyouth
edit text

On 15/12/2020 at 18:04, warlock said:

Looks like :cool:. Hope you can rebound.

Forss is still frustrating - will have a great game, then be completely anonymous for the next two or three.

Pretty tense final day in my save:

image.png.c8979c2b03caef45ab8c4685247f8a5f.png

We visit Bristol City for our last game - anything could happen in the last 90 minutes!!

Haha glad to see you made it up! 

21 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Good to see you continue to build for the future. I see we have a common player as well in Woolfenden.

He's been solid so far, nothing spectacular. We do look comfortable at the back though, which is what we've struggled with even in my season at times. 

Life back in the championship is going well, still need to find more consistency away from home but we're getting there. Personally think it's a very strong looking league. I could really push on in the winter window with the monstrous budget I have, but still quite hesitant. Will see how our form is between now and January. Also have the slight concern a few of my better players are being tipped to leave and move elsewhere. Dressing room is happy enough currently though. 

image.png

On a side note, I have noticed I'm having issues with the licencing fix. Europa/Champions League all seem to be OK, team names not so but think that may be due to starting to save first.. However I've noticed the German national side is filled with greyed out players. Re-downloaded and applied the folders etc, still no luck. 

Edited by BCFC_Mike

fixtures10.jpg.1b7007838781f9ae40a5a128800ee7c7.jpg

Played some more fixtures. We've had some very impressive early results including the last big home win over Arsenal!

However got completely destroyed at Anfield, they were 5-0 up at HT! We took a more measured approach at Old Trafford and this time lost 2-0. As expected there is a huge gap to the top sides.

Here is the table:

table8.jpg.11e93665e296ca239478494ba0a2af2c.jpg

Again, early days but obviously happy so far.

The front 3 of Whittaker, Delap and Armstrong is doing well.

14 hours ago, warlock said:

Good question. I'm already re-thinking the decision to carry on - I really want to get stuck in to a long-term project, so I think I'll park the Brentford save and may return to it in future. The search is on for the next challenge.

Oh, I thought you'd give it at least a season! But fair enough

6 hours ago, warlock said:

Yeah, saw it coming too! Briefly thought I might handle the promotion but when everyone started demanding new contracts... :onmehead:

That's why I let the DOF handle contracts. Anyway once you get to the PL with the TV money it doesn't really matter but is just less annoying.

6 hours ago, Brutalyouth said:

The Run In1947871968_Screenshot(24).thumb.png.76e14ea81f23a4bb743367aee4939fec.png

That is very tight! Good luck, you'll probably need like 10 points out of 12.

57 minutes ago, BCFC_Mike said:

Haha glad to see you made it up! 

He's been solid so far, nothing spectacular. We do look comfortable at the back though, which is what we've struggled with even in my season at times. 

Life back in the championship is going well, still need to find more consistency away from home but we're getting there. Personally think it's a very strong looking league. I could really push on in the winter window with the monstrous budget I have, but still quite hesitant. Will see how our form is between now and January. Also have the slight concern a few of my better players are being tipped to leave and move elsewhere. Dressing room is happy enough currently though. 

image.png

On a side note, I have noticed I'm having issues with the licencing fix. Europa/Champions League all seem to be OK, team names not so but think that may be due to starting to save first.. However I've noticed the German national side is filled with greyed out players. Re-downloaded and applied the folders etc, still no luck. 

You have to delete the "fake" files from the respective folders:

https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm21-unlock-germany-national-team.html 

See the link above. 

Good luck with the remainder of the season, it seems like if you get in one or two quality players it will give you the added push.

On 13/12/2020 at 07:24, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I have started season 2 strong with 5 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses. I am currently 2nd in the league. The players look up for Automatic Promotion this season.

image.thumb.png.a95bfffbd6381ac52821a5bf5a36ddc1.png

image.thumb.png.289d722d0e7cb8acf023d9349a21d8d6.png

Ben Seymour stepping up this season with 5 goals in 6 games.

image.thumb.png.5f17b56fc1b88a22f98f47146cc1adfd.png

Hello mate, not sure where you got your facepacks from (and apologies if you know this already) but that picture of Ben Seymour is actually Jack Sparkes...

14 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

You have to delete the "fake" files from the respective folders:

https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm21-unlock-germany-national-team.html 

See the link above. 

Good luck with the remainder of the season, it seems like if you get in one or two quality players it will give you the added push.

Think those files are only relevant if downloaded via epic games, going by that link anyway.

Sorted it anyway, think I just needed to wait for the next international break. 

2022 world cup has just kicked off, strange scheduling coming up. We have 2 players selected, Daam Foulon for Belgium and Pontus Dahlberg representing Sweden. 

48 minutes ago, BCFC_Mike said:

Think those files are only relevant if downloaded via epic games, going by that link anyway.

Sorted it anyway, think I just needed to wait for the next international break. 

2022 world cup has just kicked off, strange scheduling coming up. We have 2 players selected, Daam Foulon for Belgium and Pontus Dahlberg representing Sweden. 

Nope I had got it off Steam and following these instructions worked for me.

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

That's why I let the DOF handle contracts

Money wasn't the issue... everyone wanted to be an important or a star player and I'm pretty sure the DoF would just cave on that. Which stores up problems for the future - the biggest issues I had in FM20 were to do with playing time and player unhappiness. Up to FM19 you could change agreed playing time/squad status at will. In FM20 and FM21 it nearly always leads to rows and dressing room rebellions. I don't mind a bit of iron-fist management but couldn't face having half the first-team squad in a sulk at this stage.

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Money wasn't the issue... everyone wanted to be an important or a star player and I'm pretty sure the DoF would just cave on that. Which stores up problems for the future - the biggest issues I had in FM20 were to do with playing time and player unhappiness. Up to FM19 you could change agreed playing time/squad status at will. In FM20 and FM21 it nearly always leads to rows and dressing room rebellions. I don't mind a bit of iron-fist management but couldn't face having half the first-team squad in a sulk at this stage.

This is true. Wish they made the DOFs smarter.

Mine made Max O'Leary a star player when we signed him :lol: Now sure he's a good keeper, but star player he is not.

4 hours ago, Bruce Drundrige said:

Hello mate, not sure where you got your facepacks from (and apologies if you know this already) but that picture of Ben Seymour is actually Jack Sparkes...

Oh right ok cheers for the info. I got the facepacks from sortitoutsi or fmscout but I appreciate the heads up.

I got no idea how to change the player faces though lol.

Have come to the conclusion I am almost definitely going to be losing at least 2 players in January due to active relegation release clauses :(

Daam Foulon is one, the wing back is attracting strong interest from at least 4 top flight sides. Not the least bit interested in signing a new deal. I can deal with losing him - I have capable replacements, and he hasn't done anything spectacular since joining from Benevento on a 3.8million fee. His release clause stands in at 15.5million.  

The other is Markus Forss. Bounced back will from the broken foot, and has actually been mainly played as an inside forward this season rather than an Advanced striker. Been instrumental for us, and he looks set to leave for 14.25million :( Hoping to tempt him to stay. Given one of my main board objectives is sign players to sell for a profit, at least I'll be pleasing them. We really don't need the funds at the moment though :D

Afternoon all....

Great to see this thread is still going. I actually started the original "Football league thread" about 8-9 years ago to gather us all in one place as I found having a separate thread for all the EFL clubs wasn't working whereas this puts us all in one group. 

After dipping in and out the game for years I have got back into FM20 and have asked Santa for FM2021. Due to a change in jobs etc I'll have a lot more time for posting my drivel in here too, so can't wait to be back at it. 

How is everyone finding the new game? Is it a improvement on last year? 

35 minutes ago, Plainlayzee said:

I think so, although I haven't yet played on yesterday's update. As usual it's two steps forward, one-and-a-bit steps back. I'm enjoying it (but I enjoyed "the worst FM evah!!!!", AKA FM20).

Looking forward to your "drivel" - you'll fit right in :lol:

4 hours ago, Plainlayzee said:

Afternoon all....

Great to see this thread is still going. I actually started the original "Football league thread" about 8-9 years ago to gather us all in one place as I found having a separate thread for all the EFL clubs wasn't working whereas this puts us all in one group. 

After dipping in and out the game for years I have got back into FM20 and have asked Santa for FM2021. Due to a change in jobs etc I'll have a lot more time for posting my drivel in here too, so can't wait to be back at it. 

Great to see you back, nice one! You really have been plain lazy for years (in FM terms) but always good to have our original founder back amongst us :thup:

3 hours ago, warlock said:

I think so, although I haven't yet played on yesterday's update. As usual it's two steps forward, one-and-a-bit steps back. I'm enjoying it (but I enjoyed "the worst FM evah!!!!", AKA FM20).

Looking forward to your "drivel" - you'll fit right in :lol:

New update you say? What's all that about then :kriss:

13 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great to see you back, nice one! You really have been plain lazy for years (in FM terms) but always good to have our original founder back amongst us :thup:

Ha, very lazy mate.

If I am not mistaken when me and you used to have our games you were Derby and I was Yeovil in the Championship (then promoted to Prem!!) 

I do still play FM and have for years but more limited game time so more read the threads than contributed as I'd have posted about 4 games a week, would have been a tedious read haha 

37 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

New update you say?

It's an appalling part of the forums, but you should check in to General Discussion occasionally - SI released a big update to FM21 late last night. I've played a couple of matches this afternoon and it seems OK to me, but I can't say I've spotted anything earth-shattering. The feedback thread is mostly positive though (which is rather remarkable :lol:)

23 minutes ago, Plainlayzee said:

Ha, very lazy mate. If I am not mistaken when me and you used to have our games you were Derby and I was Yeovil in the Championship (then promoted to Prem!!). I do still play FM and have for years but more limited game time so more read the threads than contributed as I'd have posted about 4 games a week, would have been a tedious read haha 

I'm a slow player myself as I don't have the spare time I used to have either. I get through a few seasons eventually (often just do one season at a club).

I vaguely recall you being Yeovil. I'm not sure who I would have been managing back in those years. Possibly Preston a couple of times, but that was on an old laptop so don't have any history and sadly the memory fails me :kriss:

Which league or club are you planning to start with?

3 minutes ago, warlock said:

It's an appalling part of the forums, but you should check in to General Discussion occasionally - SI released a big update to FM21 late last night. I've played a couple of matches this afternoon and it seems OK to me, but I can't say I've spotted anything earth-shattering. The feedback thread is mostly positive though (which is rather remarkable :lol:)

Cheers, I will see if mine has updated later then. I have found the ME really enjoyable this year. some of the other bits and pieces seem a bit of an overload for those of us of limited intelligence, but I really enjoy when I get to the 3D games as there seems to be more tackles, blocks, change over of possession etc. In previous versions I often felt that every highlight of the opposition was likely to be a goal, but in FM21 it feels more like I am watching more of a surprise with different outcomes. It could be a chance, a goal, a block or tackle, even a breakaway of my own etc. I've only rarely looked in the GD forum, some people just seem to like moaning for the sake of it and I can't really be dealing with that (or to be fair those that go too far the other way and argue against everything).

I hope no one minds but I thought I’d share how my first season with my hometown Hereford FC went (even though they are in the National League North)

Well after a bit of a mixed start to the season I managed to get them to a 5th place finish and got to the Play offs but lost in the first play off game to York FC.

Overall I’m pretty happy with how the season went, brought in a couple of players that really helped us push on after a so-so start to the season. I brought in Sam Ackeroyd to be my main striker and he did the business with 32 goals for the season as well as Jake Kenyon who switched between LB and AML during the season but played the tail end of the campaign at AML after I brought in Matty Waters for LB.

I’ve begun preparing for the second season by getting in some players released by Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham, hopefully they’ll push the team towards a title and instant promotion to the National League rather than another go at the play offs

Edited by Zeonflux

35 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

I hope no one minds but I thought I’d share how my first season with my hometown Hereford FC went

You're welcome, as are all VNL/N/S managers - I'll be doing a couple of non-league saves myself eventually.

Unlucky with the playoff loss, always a bit of a lottery, but good luck in season 2.

46 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

I hope no one minds but I thought I’d share how my first season with my hometown Hereford FC went (even though they are in the National League North)

Well after a bit of a mixed start to the season I managed to get them to a 5th place finish and got to the Play offs but lost in the first play off game to York FC.

Overall I’m pretty happy with how the season went, brought in a couple of players that really helped us push on after a so-so start to the season. I brought in Sam Ackeroyd to be my main striker and he did the business with 32 goals for the season as well as Jake Kenyon who switched between LB and AML during the season but played the tail end of the campaign at AML after I brought in Matty Waters for LB.

I’ve begun preparing for the second season by getting in some players released by Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham, hopefully they’ll push the team towards a title and instant promotion to the National League rather than another go at the play offs

A tough league to get out of, but that was a good first year. I had some fun managing The Bulls on an extended database a few years ago with Mills, Haysham, Oates etc. Good luck in your second season.

Cheers fellas.

Its been a nice change of pace I normally do a year long save with Man Utd as whenever I try a lower league save I can’t get any tactics to work and then I quit the save within a month or 2 but I’ve been really enjoying this one.

Gateshead ran away with the league but I was more than happy with getting into the playoff especially as the board weren’t wanting me to be doing that well until the 23/24 season

Edited by Zeonflux

Not sure where to start, might go my local team Tranmere possibly in league 2 to start, if not then I might start it in November 2021 and take whoever is struggling. I really want to do a project on this years that I can run for years, the winning every win in the Prem just doesnt do it for me any more I want to build a club properly. 

Salford maybe another option, any other recommendations? 

I just need to hope Santa does me a favor but I am sure my missus can take a hint haha. 

1 minute ago, Plainlayzee said:

Not sure where to start, might go my local team Tranmere possibly in league 2 to start, if not then I might start it in November 2021 and take whoever is struggling. I really want to do a project on this years that I can run for years, the winning every win in the Prem just doesnt do it for me any more I want to build a club properly. 

Salford maybe another option, any other recommendations? 

I just need to hope Santa does me a favor but I am sure my missus can take a hint haha. 

Tranmere would be a great choice. They have the stadium and fan base to be back at Championship level at least, and you might even be able to snag Norwood back on loan. Monthe, Lewis, Morris and Blackett-Taylor are good League 2 players, and you have Vaughan if you like an experienced striker.

Another update from Pride Park:

fixtures13.jpg.58de25610c5d732728e891a00162adbc.jpg

Another couple of solid months for us. I really wanted to beat United but Matt Clarke got himself sent off and after that we were just holding on for a point. The win at Stamford Bridge was memorable, it was my first time in a long while that I successfully manage to FM the AI :lol: 3 shots against like 20 or something.

table11.jpg.58bcb23458097a53c6382606da176f1c.jpg

Even dreaming of a top 4 finish now, although if Chelsea win their game in hand they are just 5 points behind and still have to play us once more.

semis.jpg.ba99cfb6dff6531ee8a2c5ca4db34679.jpg

The FA cup semis are set and here is the draw for Wembley!

intake2.jpg.49ad6d40ded1bdf345e69fe5e0ba6075.jpg

This year's intake sadly not as good as last year - I was hoping for something better with everything maxed out now.

jamie.thumb.jpg.d689785270a2cb8c42d7470e868e634a.jpg

However I thought I had got a son through the intake in this kid, but he doesn't have me listed anywhere as favoured personnel so am a bit confused...

10 hours ago, warlock said:

I am not updating till I finish my season :lol:

badge.png.d651149fafdf9220b85b00efb54864af.png

Reading FC - Season 2020/21

Aims for the Season

Finish in top half of Championship
Reach Fourth round of FA Cup
Reach Third round of Carabao Cup

5 Year Plan

Work within wage budget
Sign players to sell for a profit
Repair the clubs financial damage
Reach/Challenge for the play-offs

Key Players

Liam Moore - CB - Club captain signed from Leicester in 2016 for £1million. A solid centre back for the Championship, strong, quick and a good defender. 

John Swift - CM - 25 year old Swift signed for Reading in 2016 for free from Chelsea. Has gone on to be a great signing for the club. Clubs best player and will be key to build around.

Michael Olise - 18 year old Frenchman with huge potential. Has a £8million release clause, with lots of big club sniffing round. Can either help with the clubs financial struggles or can build a team around him.

Lucas Jaoa - Portuguese International who is big and strong as well as being a good finisher. If he can produce like he has begun to IRL he will be a big player for you.

Academy Products

Omar Richards - LB - The 22 year old left back has been with the club since a teenager and has gone on to be one of the best full backs in the league. 

Imari Samuels - LB - 17 year old left back who will challenge Richards for the full back role for the coming years. Good enough now to provide cover and huge potential to take on the Premier League in the coming years.

Theirry Nevers - AMRL - 18 year old wide man who is another to keep an eye on. Big potential and will get games off the bench/cup.

Coniah Boyce-Clarke - GK - 17 year old keeper, who is already a good player, future number 1 and can be for years to come.

Going into the season I had big plans for what I wanted to do with the club. I wanted to try and use the academy products as best I can as well as making the odd signing to improve the team where I could. Having been given £0 and no wiggle room with the wages that was a struggle from the off. I identified who I didn't need/want at the club anymore, this led me to selling the Meite for £1.7 million rising to £2.2 million and trying to sell, and failing, so having to loan out Araruna, Baldock, Aluko and Walker. This managed to free up a bit of money both in funds and in wages.

This allowed me to bring in 2 of my main targets. Arvin Appiah came in for £1.5 million from Almeria. The winger/forward is only 19, has pace to burn and can cover a couple of position for me. The second signing was Josh Martin on loan from Norwich for the season, only covering his wages. Again another 19 year old who can play on either wing and provide good quality.

Then came the moment I was dreading. I didn't notice that Michael Olise had an £8million release fee until it was too late. Tottenham offered it, and I tried to offer him a new contract but he signed for Spurs despite me offering more money and first team football. I had intended to build my team around him and this threw me a little. Then my number 1 goalkeeper Rafael had interest from Brazilian side International, which was his 'dream'. I made the decision to sell him for £2.3 million rising to £2.9 million, this transfer would not go through until 10th January so I had time to blood in young keeper Boyce-Clarke over the coming months. With these deals happening it meant that I had already completed the clubs target of 'repair the clubs financial manage'.

As much as I was disappointed to lose 2 key players straight away, I saw this as an opportunity to thicken my squad up before the season begun. I planned on targeting younger players who could rotate in and out of the first team when needed without weakening it too much. I felt the squad was in a good condition defensively, with good depth and good quality in cover, the only change I made was cancelling the loan of Lewis Gibson and sending him back to Everton, and signing Jarrad Branthwaite on loan for the season. He is able to cover anywhere across the back 4 and has huge potential if I can make it more permanent in the future. With losing Olise, I felt we were a little bit thin in the centre midfield/attacking midfield area, so i snapped up the Ramsey brother from Aston Villa. 19 year old Jacob Ramsey came in for £1.5 million, while 17 year old Aaron Ramsey, signed for £1.7 million. Both have big potential, and can both play in CM/AMC. The next midfielder to arrive was Joe Rankin-Costello, the 21 year old Blackburn midfielder was unhappy as he wanted an increased wage, so I was able to snap him up for £1.5 million once again. He will provide cover anywhere across the midfield and will be a good squad player.

The board are happy with the business as I have spend small fees on players which we can definitely make a profit on in the future. My final signing of the transfer window happened on deadline day. Having looked at my squad I had decided that Andy Yiadom would be my number 1 right back and that Tomas Esteves would not play that often. I know that he is probably the best young right back on the game, but I also know that he will have no interest in signing for me anytime soon, so i decided to focus my efforts on someone who I have a more realistic change of signing in the future, so I decided to loan Luke Matheson from Wolves for the season and send Esteves back to Porto.

So with the transfer window now finished and the season already starting we were predicted to finish 16th in the league. We were setting up with a 4-2-3-1 formation, playing fast, short passing football. 

GK - Rafael / Boyce-Clarke
RB - Yiadom / Matheson
LB - Richards / Samuels
CB - Morrison / Brainthwaite
CB - Moore / McIntyre
CM - Rinomhota / Laurent
CM - Swift / Rankin-Costello
AMR - Appiah / Nevers
AMC - Ramsey / Ramsey
AML - Ejaria / Martin
ST - Jaoa / Puscas

I was very happy with how the squad looked going into the season and was optimistic with how we could do considering we managed to spend money wisely and get some real depth to the squad.

1490057169_Screenshot2020-12-18at11_09_19.thumb.png.509b833c2ce6b1e5ba93f100a2a2f37e.png

So after 21 game this is what the league table was looking like. 3 points separating the top 8. We were becoming the story of the season, defying all expectations of us and playing some great football.  

Notable performers so far

Boyce-Clarke - Rafael started the first 5 games and was playing terribly, his head was already in Brazil, so I thought I would throw caution to the wind and just play Boyce-Clarke and the kid has been sensational in goal, keeping numerous clean sheets and playing superbly.

Ejaria - The 22 year old midfielder has scored and assisted plenty of goals already this season, and has become one of our most important players.

Swift - Everything we have done has come through Swift, he just keeps the ball moving and pops up with a wolrdie every now and then.

Heading into January, I really wanted to keep up the momentum of how well we were doing and build on this. While scouting I found that Kyle Edwards at West Brom had his contract expiring at the end of the season, so I managed to negotiate a knockdown price of £1.2 million for the attacking midfielder who can play AMRLC. As the season wore on, I noticed more and more that Morrison wasn't playing great and was getting caught out for pace more and more. With his contract up in the summer, I have decided to not offer him a new deal but go out and sign a first choice centre back. Liam Moore is club captain but he isn't the best in the air, Tom McIntyre is a solid centre back who will continue to improve but not 1st choice just yet, and Brainthwaite has done well but Everton want a fair bit of money for him. After having a scout and a search I settled on 25 year old Jake Cooper from Millwall for £5.25 million, over installments. He is already rated as a Good Premier League centre back, he is a former Reading player also, so will count towards homegrown at club in the future. He is also a beast, 201cm tall, 16 heading, jumping of 19, strength of 16. He is a monster at the back and attacking set pieces, and he has a decent amount of pace as well. 

The out-goings in January were minimal but headline making. Araruna came back from his loan and left the club for £250k. The big name to leave the club was Lucas Jaoa for £6.25 million to Burnley. The Portuguese striker was my main striker so far this season without ever really lighting up the league. He managed to score 10 goals in 19 games, but was never consistent and wasn't really doing it for me. Puscas is young, with more potential and better suited to the pressing forward role I favour. With Jaoa leaving, this meant that Appiah would now move higher up the pitch and be used more as a striker and Edwards can come in on the wing to keep the squad balanced.

With Rafael leaving, I wasn't happy only having 2 goalkeepers, so i signed Joe Wildsmith from Sheffield Wednesday for £250k, it presented good cover/potential and is risk free and I feel I will definitely make profit on him in the future. With the window winding down, I was getting itchy feet and looking through my squad as to who was playing well and where I could improve it. Having realised that neither of my holding midfielder have particularly been playing great, I was able to loan in Clinton Mola from Stuttgart for the rest of the season. This presented an opportunity to bring in a player who could go straight into the team and improve it, and potentially bring a young englishman back from abroad. I have noticed that by doing this you get better value for money.

I did try to sign an extra striker on loan, someone who could really shoot us to promotion. I tried loan deals for both Rhian Brewster and Tyrese Campbell. Stoke would not accept any loan deals for Campbell so that was quickly over with. Sheffield United did accept the loan for Brewster, with me paying £40,000 wages, however he rejected me. 

Following the January Window this is what the squad now looks like.

GK - Boyce-Clarke / Wildsmith
RB - Yiadom / Matheson
LB - Richards / Samuels
CB -  Cooper / Brainthwaite
CB - Moore / McIntyre
CM - Mola / Rinomhota / Laurent
CM - Swift / Rankin-Costello
AMR - Martin / Nevers
AMC - Ramsey / Ramsey
AML - Ejaria / Edwards
ST - Puscas / Appiah

1017235932_Screenshot2020-12-18at21_05_08.thumb.png.4be56b526dbed4affde6b763481ec8a4.png

With 12 games remaining, we are currently top. 1 points separates the top 4, and 10 points the top 7. So we could still finish the season out of the play-offs if we were to go on a bad run.

Notable Performers

Jake Cooper - Since signing the centre back has been a man mountain, scoring 3 goals and getting 2 MOTM in 9 games.

Josh Martin - Since shift to the right of midfield Martin has been a man possessed, with 7 assists and 7 goals in 11 games taking his total to 9 goals and 14 assists. He is someone I want to sign but whether Norwich will let me I don't know.

Arvin Appiah - The next man to relish his new role with 5 goals and 3 assists up top in his last 7 games.

Going into the business end of the season now, I am not sure how to feel. I am very happy with how we have been playing and with where we are in the league. I am not taking anything for granted however, with how this season was meant to go, I will be happy no matter what, but I think we have a great chance of at least making the play-offs. 

Edited by collisonmullan

1 hour ago, collisonmullan said:

With 12 games remaining, we are currently top

Great post, thank you! That's a great season with Reading, too. You'd need a disastrous run to finish outside the playoffs but cautious optimism is probably right. Fingers crossed you can keep up the winning football :thup: