warlock

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dastrokes88 said:

some quality signings once promotion is secured

That's the plan... although "plan" is probably too strong a word :). We'll need a bunch of upgrades for the Premiership, I should probably start identifying some targets.

1 minute ago, warlock said:

That's the plan... although "plan" is probably too strong a word :). We'll need a bunch of upgrades for the Premiership, I should probably start identifying some targets.

Indeed, going great. On a scale of 1-10 how likely are you to do a PL season assuming you get there?

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

On a scale of 1-10 how likely are you to do a PL season assuming you get there?

Definite 10. If you can do a season with Reading, I think I should manage one with Norwich. But it occurred to me the other day that, apart from a throwaway save with United last year, I haven't played in Europe for ages so that's a goal. But in the interests of full disclosure, I can say that if it looks like taking 5-10 years to do it with Norwich it's a goal that's unlikely to be achieved :lol:.

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Definite 10. If you can do a season with Reading, I think I should manage one with Norwich. But it occurred to me the other day that, apart from a throwaway save with United last year, I haven't played in Europe for ages so that's a goal. But in the interests of full disclosure, I can say that if it looks like taking 5-10 years to do it with Norwich it's a goal that's unlikely to be achieved :lol:.

That's the spirit! I hope you will enjoy your hammerings in the PL as much as I have :lol: 

13 hours ago, warlock said:

Norwich, February 2021

image.png.58121b6224e102eb798583d2a329546b.png

A bright start to the new year with 5 wins from 5 in the league. Our early exit from the FA Cup was a disappointment, but not surprising given Leicester's position in the Top 6 of the Premiership, although the scoreline rather flatters us - they could have scored 4 or 5.

With the transfer window now closed, the big news - and big disappointment - was the departure of Emi Buendia. The mercenary Argentine had his head turned not by the bright lights of the Premiership but the filthy lucre of the Chinese league. Shanghai Shenhua offered us £40m and him £66k a week and there was no changing his mind. Possibly worse is the fact that club captain Grant Hanley took the hump at the sale and nothing I said made a difference. He's now actively spreading dissent among the squad. My inclination is to strip him of the captaincy and shove him in the u18s but I'm wary of making a bad situation worse, so I'm ignoring it for now.

Todd Cantwell continues his hit-and-miss season, occasionally brilliant but regularly mediocre. Worse is my inability to get anything out of the strikers. Pukki is now up to 6 goals, while Idah is stuck on 5 and - as I feared - Hugill's form before Christmas was a false dawn and he's done nothing since. As per an earlier discussion with @Jogo BonitoI'm not sure whether the problem is tactical or personnel, but since the tactic is working extremely well otherwise, I'm not inclined to make major changes. I have fiddled with striker roles, variously trying PF, AF, DLF but without any improvement.

Luckily, the midfield is still picking up the load. McLean continues to lead the scoring charts, which seems remarkable for a player who regular occupies the DLP spot; and Dowell is our creative force at AMC. And a couple of the youngsters are showing promise on the wings. Placheta is a lightning-fast left-footer who joined from Poland just before my arrival; and Tim Lemperle is a hot prospect on the right, and may be the long-term replacement for Buendia. He joined from Koln for £3.6m, and satisfied the board demand for u21 signings.

The cash from the Buendia sale is burning a hole in our transfer pocket - but there was no-one to spend it on. Players who could improve us simply aren't interested in joining while we remain in the Championship. Hopefully, that might change if we win promotion... and if the board don't disappear the money. Speaking of promotion...

image.png.57451abd553c271631ca9f76eb24433c.png

Our unbeaten run has closed the gap on Brentford to just 2pts, while we've given ourselves a 10pt margin over third-placed Cardiff.

We just need to keep going.

Great update there mate, created a big gap between yourself and 3rd with under 20 games to go, hopefully you can keep it going.

Shame that Buendia went, but at least you got an excellent fee for him! It's also interesting to read that with you doing so well, your strikers aren't really producing the figures you'd expect. 

What a turnaround! Suddenly 14 winless run turns into 14 unbeaten run now, so glad we were able to power through these two crazy months with hectic fixture.

It didn't start well:

Against Chelsea, we came back after two goals deficient but lost to the last minute winner from Timo Werner.

Against Man Utd, we were in lead most of the game but had to settle for a point due to a late goal.

Games against Newcastle and Everton are the turning point, we were 0-2 down half time in both games, but managed to came back in the end.

After that its smooth sailing, although a 3-3 draw against 20th place Fulham is not idea, but we finished the month with our best performance of the season so far, a convincing win against Man City in FA Cup.

We also qualified to the knockout phase in Europa League after the away win in Moscow, we will face Rangers next.

1.png.e0470cb949bcf50066df2aa80b78d863.png

2.png.91d5fd77ebc70e698222ac4f43ba238f.png

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I hope you will enjoy your hammerings in the PL as much as I have :lol: 

Well, we didn't have to wait that long.

2 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

created a big gap between yourself and 3rd with under 20 games to go, hopefully you can keep it going

Errr...

image.png.4cce2ec624ebddb4e0bf9125d7cc0706.png

I'm at my wits end! Just can't find a way out of this form. Against Wycombe Tim Krul simply lost his mind - charged 30 yards out of the area leaving his goal wide open and Wycombe duly obliged by passing into the empty net. When we were pushing for the equaliser we got caught on the break. And if we were struggling before that, morale simply collapsed after the defeat. The visit of Brentford was the worst possible way to follow that up, especially when we were hanging on to the draw before conceding in the 92nd minute. Against Luton we looked like little boys lost.

We're just clinging on to 2nd place, but Brentford are out of sight now. Next up is a visit to Sheffield Wednesday - they're in a relegation battle and could put another dent in our promotion hopes :rolleyes:.

36 minutes ago, warlock said:

I'm at my wits end! Just can't find a way out of this form. Against Wycombe Tim Krul simply lost his mind - charged 30 yards out of the area leaving his goal wide open and Wycombe duly obliged by passing into the empty net. When we were pushing for the equaliser we got caught on the break. And if we were struggling before that, morale simply collapsed after the defeat. The visit of Brentford was the worst possible way to follow that up, especially when we were hanging on to the draw before conceding in the 92nd minute. Against Luton we looked like little boys lost.

We're just clinging on to 2nd place, but Brentford are out of sight now. Next up is a visit to Sheffield Wednesday - they're in a relegation battle and could put another dent in our promotion hopes :rolleyes:.

The match fixing investigators are currently steaming down the A11...

Hold your nerve. And if all else fails, next team talk to your players: "Where Are You? Let's be havin' you...Come On" :lol:

709.png.da24c5ef1b5e4c027a9bd4c2f3ecdb05.png

sheffieldwed1.png.209090cd2c892add7def66dc54b1d97a.png sheffieldwed2.png.65d96247692a17733d4751a1e6455fc0.pngsheffieldwed3.png.52994b1705775d97174e24185f5ceb54.png

Sheffield Wednesday - Championship - Pre-Season 2027/28

It was a decent season last year, but much was left to be desired for their third season back in the Championship. After two consecutive seasons in mid table 12th, we expected to move closer towards the playoffs and whilst finishing in 8th place was technically what the doctor ordered, the collapse at the end of the season was less than ideal.

We move into the new campaign, releasing fresh kits for upcoming campaign with new sponsors Mars donning the kits for the first time. The kits weren't the only things fresh at Hillsborough this year, as we were very very busy in the transfer window.

spacer.png  

spacer.png

A lot of incomings this season were sorted out before the turn of the new season and some great improvements in the team were made, in my opinion. To save boring you posting everyone, David Helme was a massive loan to come in to bolster the midfield, Paulo Sérgio Faia will be our new starter on the left and Eirik Fagius will be a great addition to partner Valentin in central defence. All other signings made were made for depth or to be a future feature at Hillsborough.

spacer.png

Well, you didn't expect that we wouldn't make some sales to go along with those signings did you? After a year and a half with the club, starting centre half Woolfenden left the club to join Forest after Fagius came through the door. The next one was a big one as club captain John Madley left the club for a massive £38.5 million. As much as I wanted to keep him around, nearly £40 million was money I just couldn't turn down. We wish him all the best and hope that we might see him back here one day. The next big transfer out was Contell, after he left us to join Huddersfield, he didn't seem happy at the club so was best to cash in on him.

spacer.png

A solid pre season, with seven wins out of a possible nine sees us bouncing into the season, full of fitness. Whom will we face to kick off our fourth Championship campaign?

spacer.png

Well, the season couldn't start much harder. Three of the teams there are recently relegated from the Premier League and the other two contested the playoffs last season. Plus, we drew Wigan in the EFL Cup which is never an easy place to go.

With that all said and done? Can we finally progress and head towards those playoffs, or even automatic promotion spots this season?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield Wednesday Honours

League Two Champions 2022/23
League One Champions 2023/24
Championship: 12th place finish 2024/25
Championship: 12th place finish 2025/26
Championship: 8th place finish 2026/27

18 hours ago, warlock said:

Errr...

image.png.4cce2ec624ebddb4e0bf9125d7cc0706.png

Positive thinking here, but maybe this is the best time to have a blip? Get out the other end and go on a good run in the last few games of the season to cement a top 2 finish? 

Either that or you continue to fall, become the team in the play-offs that's in the worst form and get eliminated by the team that snuck in to 6th on the last day of the season :lol:

2023/24 - Yate Town - Southern Premier South

5100149.png.3c8311831934acf771dbae9b8f91d568.png

League Summary (1st, promoted as Champions)

tablechamps.JPG.ab781935ec32626f78545755a73d25bd.JPG

A pretty special season in the end as we finally get out of the division, after three consecutive playoff failures.

Buoyed by comfortable the best attack in the division, we immediately established ourselves around the top of the table and only registered a single loss in the first half of the season. A win at Bognor Regis on matchday 14 sent us top, a position we didn't relinquish for the rest of the season.

For much of the season it was a two-horse race between us both, and come February, we both had a wobble. The difference was we came through it convincingly, whereas they went into freefall a bit, allowing the likes of Poole, H&Y, Tiverton and Cheshunt to catch up.

We secured the title with four games to play, and only an inconsequential loss to Poole on the last day stopped us breaking the 90-point barrier and keeping a double figure margin. And, despite falling down to 5th and nearly missing the playoffs entirely, Bognor recovered to win the playoff final.

In my first season, a 75th minute Met Police goal on the final day stopped us from being promoted. Three years later, we're finally going to the Conference South.

Key Players

We got a wide range of contributions however I won't list everyone, just the main drivers of our promotion (and my save to date):

Ricardo Rees

Season: 46(3) appearances, 27 goals, 13 assists | Yate career: 172(10) appearances, 106 goals, 37 assists

Brilliant yet again. It seemed like there wasn't a game where he didn't either score himself or set up a team mate, and him tearing down the right flank or making a late run to the far post became a customary sight. Most full backs at this level couldn't deal with his combination of movement, speed and height and he will continue to be a key player for me at the next level.

Matt Bower

Season: 43(2) appearances, 8 goals, 250 headers won | Yate career: 168(13) appearances, 21 goals, 7.3 avg rating

The heart and soul of the club. He is a towering figure at the back, using his 6'6 frame to dominate the air and provide a great target for attacking set pieces. Always seems to score at crucial times and is a model of consistency, topping the average ratings for the last three seasons. He will form the backbone of our defence at the next level too.

Gary Fitzpatrick

Season: 48(2) appearances, 34 goals, 8 PoM awards

Initially signed on loan from Boreham Wood, I put in a cheeky enquiry after he scored 10 in his first eight starts. They didn't want a fee, he joined permanently and he went on to score 34 times, finishing runner-up in the league golden boot. Had a bit of a dry spell in the last month of the season, but by that point his goals had us well and truly on track for the title. I'm not sure he has the mental attributes or personality to become a top player, but his finishing, pace and first touch should mean he is a formidable striker in the lower leagues for years to come yet.

Cameron Healey

Season: 42(5) appearances, 12 assists, 99 key passes | Yate career: 179(10) appearances, 64 assists, 84% pass completion

The skipper. He's not flashy, but he is so consistent and reliable in the DLP role. He attempts more passes than any other player in the league by far, completes them at a high clip and always seems to find that killer ball when it's on. He's also a clear leader of the dressing room and will lead the team again in the Conference South.

Pedro Pascoal

Season: 44(3) appearances, 4 goals, 90% pass completion

Deployed in a box to box role, the Portuguese teenager had a fine season on loan from Stevenage. He very rarely lost the ball and made the most of his physical gifts and personality, consistently seeing out the 90s minutes despite such a demanding role. His contract is expiring and he is interested in joining, however Stevenage are still demanding a fee so I will monitor that one closely as I'd love to sign him permanently. A fine player and prospect.

Joseph Khumalo

Season: 32(13) appearances, 7 goals, 15 assists | Yate career: 40(18) appearances, 8 goals, 17 assists

The South African first appeared as a senior player generated by the game with newly-promoted Mangotsfield, and I signed him towards the end of last season to provide competition in the AMC role. He started this season as a reserve, but when he got his chance after injuries hit, he proved to be undroppable, with his set piece ability providing a number of assists.

Andy Hannah

Season: 50 appearances, 17 clean sheets, 6.95 avg rating | Yate career: 195 appearances, 63 clean sheets, 6.92 avg rating

I was fortunate enough to already have a very good 'keeper at the club when I took over, and he has given me no reason to look for another one. His ratings aren't gaudy and he concedes just over a goal a game, but at a level where defenders aren't exactly Maldini and Baresi, he has been a rock. Will get a chance to impress in the Conference South before I consider any change.

Next Season:

Given the firepower we have up front and given how dominant we were at times this season, I'd be pretty disappointed if we got sucked into a relegation battle. Survival always has to be the aim, but assuming the likes of Rees and Fitzpatrick can make the step up, I am hopeful of a top half finish or even a playoff push.

@CityAndColour Well done, and nothing less than your perseverance deserves.

Good see Cameron Healey performing for you - he has been the hero of so many of my Darlington saves over the last couple of years, and one Mansfield save where I kept him and played him up to the Championship.

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

Positive thinking here

Your powers of prediction are impressive :D. We did come out the other end, and we did recover our form. I'll post an update this afternoon, but first I have to go and get stabbed in the name of medical science :kriss:

10 minutes ago, warlock said:

@CityAndColour Well done, and nothing less than your perseverance deserves.

Good see Cameron Healey performing for you - he has been the hero of so many of my Darlington saves over the last couple of years, and one Mansfield save where I kept him and played him up to the Championship.

Yeah he's a bit of a cheat lower league player I think - one of those guys who was highly rated on an earlier version of the game, and then researchers have never toned him down! His mental attributes and personality make him a really good mentor as well.

1 hour ago, CityAndColour said:

2023/24 - Yate Town - Southern Premier South

League Summary (1st, promoted as Champions)

A pretty special season in the end as we finally get out of the division, after three consecutive playoff failures.

Buoyed by comfortable the best attack in the division, we immediately established ourselves around the top of the table and only registered a single loss in the first half of the season. A win at Bognor Regis on matchday 14 sent us top, a position we didn't relinquish for the rest of the season.

For much of the season it was a two-horse race between us both, and come February, we both had a wobble. The difference was we came through it convincingly, whereas they went into freefall a bit, allowing the likes of Poole, H&Y, Tiverton and Cheshunt to catch up.

We secured the title with four games to play, and only an inconsequential loss to Poole on the last day stopped us breaking the 90-point barrier and keeping a double figure margin. And, despite falling down to 5th and nearly missing the playoffs entirely, Bognor recovered to win the playoff final.

In my first season, a 75th minute Met Police goal on the final day stopped us from being promoted. Three years later, we're finally going to the Conference South.

Next Season:

Given the firepower we have up front and given how dominant we were at times this season, I'd be pretty disappointed if we got sucked into a relegation battle. Survival always has to be the aim, but assuming the likes of Rees and Fitzpatrick can make the step up, I am hopeful of a top half finish or even a playoff push.

Hearty congratulations. It's been a real slog but your commitment is admirable and promotion well deserved. Good luck at the new level.

38 minutes ago, oakesypvfc said:

Every time I go into a summer transfer window, I make about 500% more signings than I meant to 😅

Nice new kits though! Did you create them yourself?

By the way, I finally got around to creating my York City story which has been going on for several months (prior to the 21.3 update - but the squad didn't really change).

Norwich, end of season 20-21

image.png.4424f145671d102fb2caba4eca5a19e0.png

Technically, it's not yet the end of the season, but we sealed the automatic promotion spot with 2 games to play (and sent QPR down to L1 in doing so).

After my last update we were due to visit Sheffield Wednesday, expecting a tough match as they were just above the relegation places with a lot to fight for. In an attempt to stop the losing streak I opted for a 433 with a DM to shore up the defence, not bothered about attack but to not lose at all costs. In the event, we secured a comfortable 3-0 win. Sticking with the same system for the next game, away against Forest, it failed completely in a 0-1 defeat, and to end the horror of March, we entertained Blackburn and won 2-0. So, not bad, not brilliant. And then, thinking about ways to improve the 4231 that had been great for so long, I thought about withdrawing the AML and AMR to the midfield, converting it to a 4411. It would allow us to play with one striker, play Dowell in his favoured AMC role, and eliminate the need for a DM, which is a problem for the squad. And what do you know...

image.png.e0e177a85a7558264aab1026d2ea8884.png

The switch coincided with a boot-shaped reprimand to Cantwell, who responded with 4 goals in 4 games. In fact, moving the AMs back to midfield got better performances out of all of them. Bournemouth were our closest rivals for promotion so a defeat would have given us a massive headache, but following that with two good wins end their challenge.

With two dead rubber games to play, we have the second-best attack and best defence in the league. I'm also proud of our disciplinary record, proving that you can be solid in defence without hard pressing and hard tackling.

image.png.5e137ded951ccfd946d5dbc27d65d64d.png

If there's a cloud to these silver linings, it is - as I feared - that my carefully hoarded transfer budget has not been improved. Before our promotion was confirmed I was sitting on a pot of around £45m. After promotion, the board awarded me a budget of... um, £45m. Since I'd normally expect to get around £30m ahead of a first Premiership season, I feel a bit cheated, even if I can understand the board's financial caution. But it isn't a lot, given the size of squad rebuilding we're going to need.

Removing current loans and the handful of players who haven't performed at Championship level, my shopping list includes: a GK, one RB, two LBs, at least one CB and another if I can get rid of the poisonous Hanley, and at least one CM. Up front, Hugill definitely has to go, and given his struggles in the Championship, I'm not convinced Pukki has what it takes for the PL. Idah has been a disappointment but I'm prepared to give him more time. Wide midfield is another problem - we have a lot of promising young wingers, but they look more suited to backup/rotation duties. Cantwell has done enough to earn another season, Hernandez definitely hasn't.

By my count, that means 10 or 12 PL-quality players are needed. We have a number of players returning from loan, but they're largely the ones that got Norwich relegated from the PL last time so you'll pardon my scepticism. It's going to be a busy summer :onmehead:

I will be starting a Sheff Wedsnesday save to go alongside my RC Abidjan/Ivory Coast save.

The reason I picked Sheff Weds is I want to run it like a business and make sure I get rid of the financial debt at the club while promoting young players through the academy. This will be 80% youth only save with a few players thrown in. 

I will be starting it as soon as I finish my current season with RC Abidjan.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Norwich, end of season 20-21

image.png.4424f145671d102fb2caba4eca5a19e0.png

Technically, it's not yet the end of the season, but we sealed the automatic promotion spot with 2 games to play (and sent QPR down to L1 in doing so).

After my last update we were due to visit Sheffield Wednesday, expecting a tough match as they were just above the relegation places with a lot to fight for. In an attempt to stop the losing streak I opted for a 433 with a DM to shore up the defence, not bothered about attack but to not lose at all costs. In the event, we secured a comfortable 3-0 win. Sticking with the same system for the next game, away against Forest, it failed completely in a 0-1 defeat, and to end the horror of March, we entertained Blackburn and won 2-0. So, not bad, not brilliant. And then, thinking about ways to improve the 4231 that had been great for so long, I thought about withdrawing the AML and AMR to the midfield, converting it to a 4411. It would allow us to play with one striker, play Dowell in his favoured AMC role, and eliminate the need for a DM, which is a problem for the squad. And what do you know...

image.png.e0e177a85a7558264aab1026d2ea8884.png

The switch coincided with a boot-shaped reprimand to Cantwell, who responded with 4 goals in 4 games. In fact, moving the AMs back to midfield got better performances out of all of them. Bournemouth were our closest rivals for promotion so a defeat would have given us a massive headache, but following that with two good wins end their challenge.

With two dead rubber games to play, we have the second-best attack and best defence in the league. I'm also proud of our disciplinary record, proving that you can be solid in defence without hard pressing and hard tackling.

image.png.5e137ded951ccfd946d5dbc27d65d64d.png

If there's a cloud to these silver linings, it is - as I feared - that my carefully hoarded transfer budget has not been improved. Before our promotion was confirmed I was sitting on a pot of around £45m. After promotion, the board awarded me a budget of... um, £45m. Since I'd normally expect to get around £30m ahead of a first Premiership season, I feel a bit cheated, even if I can understand the board's financial caution. But it isn't a lot, given the size of squad rebuilding we're going to need.

Removing current loans and the handful of players who haven't performed at Championship level, my shopping list includes: a GK, one RB, two LBs, at least one CB and another if I can get rid of the poisonous Hanley, and at least one CM. Up front, Hugill definitely has to go, and given his struggles in the Championship, I'm not convinced Pukki has what it takes for the PL. Idah has been a disappointment but I'm prepared to give him more time. Wide midfield is another problem - we have a lot of promising young wingers, but they look more suited to backup/rotation duties. Cantwell has done enough to earn another season, Hernandez definitely hasn't.

By my count, that means 10 or 12 PL-quality players are needed. We have a number of players returning from loan, but they're largely the ones that got Norwich relegated from the PL last time so you'll pardon my scepticism. It's going to be a busy summer :onmehead:

The Idah thing is crazy to me... in mine he just wouldn't stop scoring, and became a wonderkid in first season in the prem.

34 minutes ago, Welshace said:

The Idah thing is crazy to me...

I know... He ended the season with 7 goals from 18 starts and 18 sub appearances. But Pukki only managed 12 from 28(10). Even worse, they didn't contribute much otherwise - just 2 assists each. I imagine it's a tactical thing, but I've no idea what or why. They were played in a variety of systems, in a variety of roles from DLF to PF to AF and nothing made a difference. I was always careful to avoid crowding the advanced areas with the AMC on support, and only one wide player cutting in. It's a mystery :confused:

Sounds like some great successes here, enjoyed catching up on these reads:

@warlock - Promotion at first time of asking is always good going.

@oakesypvfc - Good luck on this season with Sheffield Wednesday

@CityAndColour - Delighted to see you get that deserved promotion. Reward for sticking at it after three near misses.

@dastrokes88 - Still going well in the Premier League, good stuff!

Over at Vale, we are drawing nearer to promotion to the Championship. 8 games to go and this is the current table:

image.thumb.png.25c94d2579f69578f8f9209f7ddcd0dc.png

An incredible 18 points clear, playoff spot secured and promotion surely just a matter of time. Since my last update we won a further four straight games beating Ipswich, Fleetwood, Charlton and Leyton Orient, before our long unbeaten run ended in our last match with a 1-0 defeat away to Wycombe.

The Ipswich game saw us field a much changed team of whoever was fit and available, but Agho and Worrall scored to help us win 2-0. We were back to strength against Fleetwood and Thompson-Brissett and Stevens fired us to another 2-0 win.

Charlton played ultra-defensive against us but we still won 3-1. Thompson-Brissett, who was again player of the month in February, scored twice and Cullen the third, before they scored a late consolation. We were then 4-0 up at half time v Leyton Orient (Cullen x2, Thompson-Brissett and Stevens). It finished 4-1 but yet another win.

Our 26 game unbeaten run though was then ended by Wycombe. We didn't play well and deserved to lose 1-0 in truth. Thompson-Brissett was rested due to fatigue, and it showed as we really missed him. He has scored 22 in the league and in total 41 goals in 61 games for the club, which is incredible for someone who was signed for £11.75k from Dagenham & Redbridge. He is still only 20 too.

Tough run of fixtures coming up, but surely just a matter of time until promotion. Already started planning ahead for next year in terms of looking for new signings. I expect the Championship to be much tougher. I won't change my approach at all, and I actually hope we do find it much harder. If it is anything remotely like this season, then it will feel totally unrealistic.

It only took one more game. Not many chances, but Thompson-Brissett took one. 1-0 win v Lincoln, and we are promoted with 7 games to spare. Next stop the League One title.

image.thumb.png.028a65b388a12f082c079ed056aa2286.png

Budget next year set at £70k per week and £2.38 million. Since I have spent a total of about 50k in two years, that seems a huge amount. New contracts and higher wages will likely take a lot of it and we will target a few new signings, but try to keep faith with the squad that has got us this far at the same time.

A Small Victory For Sheff Weds

8dd52319c907743da7c80c032c9bb1e2.png

Basically takes off 1/3 of Rhodes £30k wages. Every little helps.

I also managed to getr rid of Adam Reach for £250k to Sunderland who are paying his full wages of £20k as well.

Transfers In

I did make some signings but they were mostly loans and any players I bought outright were needed to cover gaps from the players I lost.

Jamal Blackman was bought in to replace Westwood for £375k.

Dominc Gape was bought in for £240k to cover the attacking positions.

Lee Harkin was bought in for £375k as one for the future.

I loaned in Cameron Archer from Aston Villa, Rodel Richards & Japhet Tanganga from Spurs, Sam McCallum from Norwich, and after getting Man Utd as my feeder club I managed to get Amad Diallo, James Garner and Dylan Levitt from Man Utd on loan.

Sheff Weds Hot Prospects

I was surprised by how many good young players Sheffeid Wednesday have. 

Here are a few standouts.

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru - 19 year old English Ball Winning Midfielder

dd657a7bec0ca4bb7c185c8cf015ce59.png

Matt Penney - 22 year old English Complete Wing Back

0ec3d230078183cc828a3b1d42fdcc6b.jpg

Osaze Urhoghide - 20 year old English Central Defender

f471ce34f55a50562a4f0d7342e7834b.png

Declan Thompson - 18 year old English Full Back

d5b0e3c84aaaf8967ae69cd43669e124.png

Liam Shaw - 19 year old English Mezzala 

eb5621a68224cef60c56b7eceabd9b73.jpg

Shaw is pretty good already and won the English Championship Young Player Of The Month for September

607a1b477e4598f2bc3bd8aea6b9f4ba.png

So you have seven new loan players? Were there any others already at the club on loan? Interesting choices you make :lol:

You are right, they do have some decent young players. I'd have put them all in the first team squad and not worried about the loans personally. We do both agree that Rhodes is very much overpaid, it's a legacy of his past when he was quite the man at this level. I feel sorry for him how his career has dipped actually.

I'm trying to get some Yorkshire culture in to York and have employed some ex-Wednesday people plus some York favourites of yesteryear already. Update link as below.

We continued our good from into Feb and March, advancing against Rangers and AZ Alkmaar in Europa League quite convincingly. Only two league losses are away against Tottenham and Liverpool.

1.png.6ea82ae36efe2b264a5d945059dff4e7.png

We are still just behind the big 6 plus Wolves who is really overperforming this season, but since West Ham somehow won the EFL Cup, our chance in Europe next season is slim, unless we pull a miracle in other two cup competitions.

2.png.8f9adf9714104312657fcfbe59bfbf10.png

And this is the fixture for next month, not sure how can we pull through it with our 23 men squad without the luxury of backups in u23/u18 teams (all the quality ones are out on loan). 

3.png.fbde041df7f07cc3c7b67ec321149bdb.png

Huddersfield Town A.F.C. - Wikipedia

Summer 2021 - Season 2021/2022

So with the summer transfer window shut and the league 7 games down already, I thought now would be a good time to provide an update. The aims for this season were to improve on last year's 16th placed finish on 58 points in which we achieved 14 wins and 16 draws. A big part of being able to do this was the transfer market. Now for those who've ever had the misfortune of following any of my previous saves, I like to be different in the transfer market. I don't like to buy players I've bought previously and I don't like to go after the 'usual suspects' that you see a lot of people buying (no offence to those that do, I just like to find diamonds in the rough). Before looking at who we brought in, let's have a look at who left us this summer:

OUTS:

Isaac Mbenza - Union Berlin - £3.5m - I just had enough in the end. A good player who carried us on times last season, but he was a constant pain, always looking uninterested and was causing problems in the dressing room. I didn't want my young squad to be influenced by him, so moved him on.

Pipa - Houston - £1.5m - With Duhaney and Edmonds-Green available at RB, I decided to cash in on the Spaniard whilst his value was decent.

Danny Ward - £1.2m - Charlton - The utility forward who covered both the flanks and upfront for us without ever excelling in any of those positions was moved on for a decent fee.

Duane Holmes - £575k - Malatyaspor - The American was always injured and never really got going.

Fraizer Campbell and Jayson Leutwiler were both released and Carel Eiting returned back to his parent club Ajax and Joel Perreira was released by Man Utd on the expiration of his loan. 

These moves freed up around £4m for us to spend, with us now severely lacking in both the GK and ST departments. 

INS:

Matej Vydra - £975k - Burnley - The Czech was brought in as Danny Ward's replacement as someone who can cover both the attacking flanks and upfront. With Burnley paying £17.5k p/w for a full season, the £10k p/w outlay from our side was a risk worth taking for someone I believe to be an upgrade.

Ricky Jade Jones - £950k - Peterborough - The youngster is my 'speed' option upfront. I'm trying to build an attack with variety and I feel this kid, who I tried to sign in January, will give us pace on the break when trying to counter teams, especially away from home.

Makthar Gueye - £875k - Oostende - One of diamond in the rough signings ( I hope). The 6ft5 Senegalese striker was brought in again to give us something different upfront. 

Ben Sheaf - £780k - Arsenal - The youngster was brought in from Arsenal with the plan being that he becomes Hogg's successor as the ball winner in our midfield.

Arnau Tenas - £575k - Barcelona -  GK was the position I struggled with most all summer. Multiple bids were sent out on numerous keepers with no results. Then out of nowhere, an analysist of mine identified Tenas as being available, and whilst young GK's are normally a no-go for me, I took the plunge.

Abdoulaye Diallo was brought in as a back-up goalkeeper after his release from Nottingham Forest and Neco WIlliams was brought in on loan from Liverpool to cover the RM slot. Youngster El Hadj-Coly joined from Lyon for £80k and was loaned straight out to Ostersunds. 

Overall I was happy with my business. I believed that we potentially had better options in goal and up front. I'm a big believer in consistency and keeping a lot of the initial squad around in order to develop your initial playing style and the main core of the team stayed the same, with a lot of youngsters getting opportunities to keep their place in the squad. Here's how the first few games have gone so far:

image.thumb.png.75765bbf7116eccf879108e19d61439f.png

What a start! 6 wins and 1 draw from our first 7 games sees us sitting top of The Championship. The aim this season was to improve on last year and to do that, scoring more goals was going to be the main target. We've notched up 13 in our first 7 games, that's over a quarter of what we managed in the whole of last season. Furthermore our solid defence has so far continued, with us only conceding 2. 

Of my starting 11's so far, 8 or 9 are all squad members from last season and I believe that consistency and knowledge of the play style is helping the new players settle. Mahktar Gueye is now up to 4 goals in 4 starts with that brace against Yorkshire rivals Sheff Utd, whilst Naby Sarr once again leads the average ratings. I was disappointed to go out in the cup to Wigan. We battered them in 90 minutes, but couldn't add to Vydra's goal and in the end, paid the price on the lottery of penalties.

We've made an excellent start, but that's not going to alter my expectations and ambitions for this season just yet. The inevitable slump in form will come at some point, it's how we deal with it that will define just how high we can push on from last season. 

Up The Terriers!

Edited by smplfc123

So I've started with Sunderland again. My last 2 attempts have now ended in failure so Ive started again on the winter update. Im only going through pre season so far but Ive brought in goalkeeper Joe Lumley from QPR for 92k. Let a few youngsters go out on loan but that's my only transfer business so far.

11 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@smplfc123A cracking start there, who would have thought it? No trouble getting the foreign players in with the Brexit WP rules? Keep up the good work :thup:

Like you wouldn't believe. I lined up so many different options that were shot down by WP rules, although it seems to have worked out well for me so far.

I'm guessing Gueye was fine as he played 30 games in Belgium's top league, whereas Vydra and Diallo already have settled status for playing in the UK when the rulings came in. As for Tenas, I'm not sure of the rules, but I'm guessing his age allows the flexibility?

To be honest after my Aberdeen save and now this one, I'll probably look to move abroad with my next save when I'm done here as the transfer windows with Brexit are preventing me from trying so many different players. 

3 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

We've made an excellent start

Very much so. Hope if keeps working for you!

1 hour ago, Mackem742 said:

So I've started with Sunderland again

Someone should be able to do something with Sunderland, let's hope it works for you this time.

27 minutes ago, warlock said:

Very much so. Hope if keeps working for you!

Someone should be able to do something with Sunderland, let's hope it works for you this time.

I always have on previous years but this year is a tough nut to crack. Not sure if its because we have been massive overwhelming favorites the last couple of years but we seem like an average League 1 club now. The AI always does terrible with them too when Ive been at another club. Hopefully this will be the one :lol:

2 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Really looking forward to your summer update @warlock and to see what magic you've managed to conjure up in the transfer market.

Urhoghide was superb for me on FM20 Sheff Weds save @Ronaldo Beckham, I'd definitely recommend giving him chances. 

Yeah I like the look of him and I have signed him to a new contract. I also think Shaw has a bright future as well as Urhoghide as you said.

Even though he isn't a Sheff Wednesday graduate Andre Green has been amazing for me so far on the left wing.

3af6abf3357665f6f70ff82ca8aeb30f.png

Great start with Huddersfield by the way buddy. It is nice to see the Northern teams showing them Southern softies how its done :hammer:

15 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

So you have seven new loan players? Were there any others already at the club on loan? Interesting choices you make :lol:

You are right, they do have some decent young players. I'd have put them all in the first team squad and not worried about the loans personally. We do both agree that Rhodes is very much overpaid, it's a legacy of his past when he was quite the man at this level. I feel sorry for him how his career has dipped actually.

I'm trying to get some Yorkshire culture in to York and have employed some ex-Wednesday people plus some York favourites of yesteryear already. Update link as below.

No I loaned in all 7 of them players myself. I am trying to bring quality players in without it costing the club much. Amad Diallo was a great loan signing considering he was playing first team football in Italy last season.

I have actually been quite resistant to bringing as many players as I usually do as I do want to bring the young players through. A lot of them are out on loan this season to gain experience as I need to concerntrate on keeping Sheff Wednesday in the Championship and doing well so far.

5efc791cee521c713373401081d68193.jpg

I will be happy with this come the end of the season.