warlock

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, warlock said:

Ah, but how quickly reality bit :lol:

For a first month, August didn't look too bad but September is going downhill quickly. We are out of the Carabao Cup at the hands of Championship side Sheffield Wednesday, and followed that with a humiliation delivered by Manchester United. Next up is a visit to Everton and I don't see much cause for optimism there. Player morale is poor, and the fans and media are already on my case :rolleyes:

Tick, tock, tick, tock....

I genuinely thought that maybe this was going to work out for you. But the transfer market looks like a scramble for numbers rather than being able to get quality. It's not likely to be a sustainable method - quality over quantity is probably the only way to survive. Anyway, let's see how it goes and whatever the outcome you had two great seasons.

14 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

quality over quantity

Yeah, it's the old problem with reputation lag. Which I think is realistic - if I was a good player, I wouldn't be hitching my wagon to a team that will probably get relegated. It was also a problem with our Championship recruitment - I expected a couple of seasons for those players to develop. In the PL it's hard to give them game time when they're so sub-standard.

26 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

you had two great seasons

My consoling thought :lol:

41 minutes ago, warlock said:

@Welshace I don't think we're allowed to link to external sites, but if you google "chilled moose fm21 facepacks" you'll find what you need.

Ahh ok, the old change each one individually routine?  i thought there might have been a way around that problem for fm21 or something!

Championship season has kicked off and Im about a quarter of the way through the season. Started off well and currently sitting in 3rd place.

Transfers

20210324183926_1.jpg.558d14b880da69d1f4412b2cae671fa9.jpg

I also managed to finally sign Pellegri on loan and he has been superb. He currently has 9 goals in 11 games.

Results

20210324191635_1.jpg.78a3ef9aa97c348bd4588b906fa75838.jpg

Decent enough results up to now. Disappointed with the 2-1 defeat at home to Swansea and the 2 home draws against Luton and Blackburn. Against Luton I conceded a late equaliser but against Blackburn I was 2-1 down so I suppose Ive got to be happy not to lose.

League table

20210324191928_1.jpg.bf93c29c8383b988458555d99955e1a5.jpg

Performing well at the minute. Media prediction has me finishing in 3rd so Im matching expectations. The board expect me to reach the playoffs.

This has also happened, apparently I now have the best youth system in the country.

20210324191312_1.jpg.38725cadd7fde0cfd3dba4bfbfd4c84e.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mackem742 said:

Decent enough results up to now

Yes, going along nicely.

That youth stuff is a bit odd - wanted to be the best in the country by 23/24, and then the best in the Championship a year later. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that's :idiot:

Board expectation eh? :lol:

5 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yes, going along nicely.

That youth stuff is a bit odd - wanted to be the best in the country by 23/24, and then the best in the Championship a year later. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that's :idiot:

Board expectation eh? :lol:

I dont get it either. I know the new owner had said he was investing in youth facilities as soon as he took over but I didnt expect this. Might give me a decent youth intake this year.

34 minutes ago, oakesypvfc said:

First Steel City derby for maybe 15 in-game years? You love to see it :D

spacer.png

Also had this for the first time. Then had a notice to say shirt sales expected to go up as result. So proud :applause:

Great win in the derby, cannot be better than that.

The Ederson story is a surprise, I never know that was in the game. Or do you have any added realism files? In any case, it's a nice idea if used sparingly. And I imagine they would only do that for a newgen as there would be all sorts of legal issues otherwise. 

Have been watching the BBC secrets series. It's been both shocking and unsurprising (certain there was much more that went undetected in those years). So much of it could have been avoided if people had been taken seriously at the time, but the culture of the game and people at the clubs was so different (wrong) back then. There are some clubs that I won't ever be interested in managing ever again, no doubt about it. 

15 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

The Ederson story is a surprise, I never know that was in the game. Or do you have any added realism files? In any case, it's a nice idea if used sparingly. And I imagine they would only do that for a newgen as there would be all sorts of legal issues otherwise. 

Have been watching the BBC secrets series. It's been both shocking and unsurprising (certain there was much more that went undetected in those years). So much of it could have been avoided if people had been taken seriously at the time, but the culture of the game and people at the clubs was so different (wrong) back then. There are some clubs that I won't ever be interested in managing ever again, no doubt about it. 

Nope, it is in fact in the game now. Is a similar sort of thing to how there is personalities that can only be attributed to newgens, ala Unsporting.

That BBC secrets series sounds very interesting.

11 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Yeah its in the game now but only for newgens I believe. Similar to how you only get stories about a player being out drinking in the early hours the night before a game etc. Saying that I havent seen either of these issues on this years game, I havent got far enough into a career yet. On older games the late night drinking was an issue for some newgens.

Norwich City FC Season 2 Review

I managed to avoid relegation but only on the last day and it didn't look good but a 0-0 draw against Spurs was enough to relegate Everton and not Norwich.

ce9cf0e73f330f9e3798ecf006550f1e.png

Final League Table

91e7d624e428cb1e11d4c5667d722690.png

Adam Idah had a decent goalscoring season with 17 goals in 35 games.

7049e9ee11865fcaee1e2402a70cee67.png

Buendia was probably my best player for the season again with 12 goals and 7 assists.

fdc354b19575d09931ddaa842cd70ba2.jpg

My main signings were Karamoko Dembele who I signed from Celtic for £12.5m and Josh Tymon who I signed from Stoke for £1.9m. I didn't make many other signings as I already had a big squad and was confident in what I had.

Games To Remember

2b35aa8690d26a93cfa453273c32d490.png

Best Overall Starting 11

072e881b0fa3856395bc7b1f2d5487d0.png

Accolades

66de0937286094d3345b87c6298dd38b.png

Stadium Expansion Planned

243fe349b181d3a870cf14ada23727c1.png

9 hours ago, warlock said:

Cliffhangar :eek:. But, job done... onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Yeah I am hoping to do a bit better next season. I started that season well being in the top 6 until December and then the players just stopped playing well and I couldn't stop losing.

Luckily we picked up a few wins at the right time.

I am hoping for a less stressful season next season.

3 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah I am hoping to do a bit better next season. I started that season well being in the top 6 until December and then the players just stopped playing well and I couldn't stop losing.

Luckily we picked up a few wins at the right time.

I am hoping for a less stressful season next season.

Great job RB, well done on beating the drop! An exciting season even if points were hard to come by!

12 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great job RB, well done on beating the drop! An exciting season even if points were hard to come by!

Yeah definitely the type of save I prefer where it doesn't come easy and I have to fight and claw my way to stay in the league.

I also like a lot of the players I have bought in and I wont be signing anyone moving forward unless its a really special player like Phil Foden etc.

I am looking to utilize the players I have and also bring through my youth players.

Well, the Ipswich save has gone the way of the Norwich save... dead, deceased, deleted.

I went back to it a few times over the last couple of days, but we lost every game in September, and then every game in October. Tried a few tactical tweaks but nothing worked. When we were 5-0 down after 60 minutes against Wolves I'm afraid I rage-quit.

The problem was entirely of my own making - my transfer business just wasn't good enough, which is rather unforgiveable since I made exactly the same mistakes in the Norwich save last week :rolleyes:.

Not sure where to go next. I might take on a Championship prospect for a straight run at promotion and see if I can manage the transition. Or not :lol:

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Well, the Ipswich save has gone the way of the Norwich save... dead, deceased, deleted. I went back to it a few times over the last couple of days, but we lost every game in September, and then every game in October. Tried a few tactical tweaks but nothing worked. When we were 5-0 down after 60 minutes against Wolves I'm afraid I rage-quit.

The problem was entirely of my own making - my transfer business just wasn't good enough, which is rather unforgiveable since I made exactly the same mistakes in the Norwich save last week :rolleyes:.

Not sure where to go next. I might take on a Championship prospect for a straight run at promotion and see if I can manage the transition. Or not :lol:

How about League 2 with some extra restrictions like no loan signings, no affiliate club, maybe first window off? You'll have a minimum of three years at the club even if you keep being promoted.

Either that or just go for a series of short (one year) spells at Championship clubs. Get them promoted and then either move on or start another save.

Another option is, look at a PL club who have been relegated in 20/21 and give yourself a year to get them back up? Or a club relegated from one of the other leagues after a season?

Or load a league that starts at a different month and if you use that as the start date, you can take over a side struggling in say January 21 (Ireland used to do that, but calendars have chnaged so you would need to check). From what I recall, it means that no transfers are made to your squad or any other team in your league. I did that a few years back with Forest Green who were adrift at the foot of League 2 in January of the first season, but I had the window to do some deals. My challenge was to keep them up and then go for an improved finish in season 2, and it was a really enjoyable career for me that lasted three or four seasons. 

I think that, like me, you don't want promotion too soon or too easy. But managing a club promoted to the PL is just no real pleasure. 

Edited by Jogo Bonito

On 29/11/2020 at 19:51, AddicksFan said:

Yeah things are getting settled, certainly on the pitch....

This is what I do a lot of. 

Load up Brazil as start on December 7th or 21st and pick the team bottom of say league one or two. Always get someone who is 10 points adrift and you can go in and do a big sam and try and save them 

49 minutes ago, warlock said:

Lots of good ideas, thanks. Will give it some thought and do some research tonight :thup:

Just as an example, loading Ireland you can start on 4th January 2021. All EFL squads are the same as if you started July 2020, but you are in the window so can make some changes, terminate loans, use approach to sign maybe. And you could inherit one of these struggling sides like Bristol City, Ipswich (well I might), Charlton, Gillingham, Rochdale, Bolton or Southend. Or even consider somebody like Harrogate pushing for promotion.

1846437494_SkyBetChampionship_Profile.png.ab9cd5f891388942820cfb7e43447d68.png732234397_SkyBetLeagueOne_Profile.png.bffb769ad0879aa1488ea061804519b1.png

2134105544_SkyBetLeagueTwo_Profile.png.df5937100fc205bd1d4a4ca645cebfe7.png

Edit: OMG, I just noticed in  League 1 that Northampton are top, whilst in League 2 it's Grimsby who are top with Barrow 2nd in this example :lol: :idiot:

Edited by Jogo Bonito

19 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Just as an example

Yeah, that's interesting. I'm not sure about taking on a club at the bottom halfway through the season - could have stuck with Ipswich for that kind of challenge :lol: - and I have done the Sir Alex Ferguson challenge before, and the morale issue is a major obstacle when players have been hammered for 20-odd matches.But a mid-table side who were expected to do much better would be an interesting challenge.

I'll fire up a new save and see what's what.

55 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

You could always do an African League

I always enjoy following your exotic adventures but it's way out of my comfort zone. I've played FM for ever, but I've only ever done 1 full season in Germany, 2 seasons in France, and - I think - half a season in Spain. I like leagues, and clubs and players I've heard of :kriss:

6 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yeah, that's interesting. I'm not sure about taking on a club at the bottom halfway through the season - could have stuck with Ipswich for that kind of challenge :lol: - and I have done the Sir Alex Ferguson challenge before, and the morale issue is a major obstacle when players have been hammered for 20-odd matches. But a mid-table side who were expected to do much better would be an interesting challenge. I'll fire up a new save and see what's what.

You'll get different results of course, but might find something of interest. Welcome to Warlock, the new manager of....Ipswich Town :lol:

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

might find something of interest

Turned out to be easy. Set the Irish start date as  you suggested and found Peterborough languishing in 19th place in L1 (predicted 3rd). A good challenge, and I get to manage RJJ for the first time this FM. Result :cool:

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Turned out to be easy. Set the Irish start date as  you suggested and found Peterborough languishing in 19th place in L1 (predicted 3rd). A good challenge, and I get to manage RJJ for the first time this FM. Result :cool:

Perfect. Enjoy yourself :thup:

So, 

Reached the end of the season, and, I've managed an unbeaten one.. :)

tQl9Eto.png

Top league scorer was Fiete Arp, with 28 goals in 38 games (he slowed down a bit once we secured promotion), shared with Joe Hugill, the young Manchester United striker, who was on loan at Hull.

Arp also laid on 9 goals for team mates, with Jayden Braaf also giving 12 assists to go with his 17 goals.

Rodrigo Caio and Ben Whiteman led the division in successful pass completions, with 96% of their passes finding a team mate.

Caio also had his contract extended for 4 years, in order to aid his work in bringing through the next generation of defenders at the club.

Thanks.

I've just had 2 players called up for the England U20 World Cup squad.

17 year old centre backs, Ian Fitzgerald (who joined me from Cambridge in January), and Michael Robson (who has made 37 appearances whilst on loan at Sunderland) both going, after being a part of the U19 team that won the European Championships last Summer.

image.thumb.png.ac1c9d766aed631d5100baab6fc4e91d.png

image.thumb.png.a9b898bdf94fe11aa15069b583fb7bed.png

After my Huddersfield save came to an end, I've had a spell away from the EFL. However, I'm back and I'm ready for my next challenge. 

Despite not really feeling it with Ipswich, I think a promotion-chasing team in League 1 will be my team of choice. Either that or a team similar to Huddersfield, a Championship team with low expectations. Hopefully I'll have settled on someone come the end of the afternoon. 

30 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

After my Huddersfield save came to an end, I've had a spell away from the EFL. However, I'm back and I'm ready for my next challenge. 

Despite not really feeling it with Ipswich, I think a promotion-chasing team in League 1 will be my team of choice. Either that or a team similar to Huddersfield, a Championship team with low expectations. Hopefully I'll have settled on someone come the end of the afternoon. 

Nice, welcome back. I'm in the same boat and trying to decide. I thought I had but my game crashed after doing loads of things to set it up, and I can't feel the love to go right back to the beginning as it takes me ages.

I've completed one year with York but it's taken me so long it's not really exciting me at the moment and it's several versions old on the database! I've done three good years with Parma but taking a break on that for a short time. Ready to start my first 21.4 effort and looking at EFL clubs.

24 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice, welcome back. I'm in the same boat and trying to decide. I thought I had but my game crashed after doing loads of things to set it up, and I can't feel the love to go right back to the beginning as it takes me ages.

I've completed one year with York but it's taken me so long it's not really exciting me at the moment and it's several versions old on the database! I've done three good years with Parma but taking a break on that for a short time. Ready to start my first 21.4 effort and looking at EFL clubs.

Hopefully you'll find someone soon!

Despite my initial thoughts, I've chosen to take the reigns at a mid-table League 1 Club, with the plan of building them up over the next two or three seasons to Championship level.

10 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

Hopefully you'll find someone soon!

Despite my initial thoughts, I've chosen to take the reigns at a mid-table League 1 Club, with the plan of building them up over the next two or three seasons to Championship level.

Intrigued. Shrewsbury?

17 hours ago, warlock said:

Yeah, that's interesting. I'm not sure about taking on a club at the bottom halfway through the season - could have stuck with Ipswich for that kind of challenge :lol: - and I have done the Sir Alex Ferguson challenge before, and the morale issue is a major obstacle when players have been hammered for 20-odd matches.But a mid-table side who were expected to do much better would be an interesting challenge.

I'll fire up a new save and see what's what.

I always enjoy following your exotic adventures but it's way out of my comfort zone. I've played FM for ever, but I've only ever done 1 full season in Germany, 2 seasons in France, and - I think - half a season in Spain. I like leagues, and clubs and players I've heard of :kriss:

Yeah I understand mate but playing in a different league will help you expand the players you do know of. I am nearly as knowledgable as @Jogo Bonito and @Welshace:lol:

Time for a quick Vale update as not added much recently. Been a slow burner preparing for life in the Championship. Trying to sign players has been frustrating, and after my previous additions Josh Pask and Jordan Stevens (the two main ones, others more youngsters for the future), there has only really been one more addition, the signing of winger Charlie Kirk from local rivals Crewe for 160k.

I'm really happy with all three of those signings, but I feel the squad is very small, very young (only Evans aged over 26), very inexperienced (only Evans has ever played in the Championship before) and could struggle with the step up. 

I've had lots of players on trial, but I won't break a wage budget, so I'm struggling to sign players of the right calibre (when you won't spend much more than 3k per week on wages for a player, you are always likely to struggle to sign Championship standard players I suppose). I have a very talented 17-year-old Dutch forward signed on a pre-contract agreement, but he doens't join for 12 months.

Pre-season was very successful on the pitch with 7 wins and 1 draw continuing the momentum from the past two campaigns. The highlight had to be a 3-1 win over a Club Brugge team full of internationals, whilst a draw against Heerenveen, win against Guingamp and thrashing of Tranmere were also very pleasing. 26 goals scored, 3 conceded.

I expect the Championship to be tough, let's see.

image.thumb.png.4853dd1a77c96e85ab7df18e8dcd42c8.png

The best possible start I could hope for, 2-0 win away v Huddersfield. Note the name Ryan Hall. The 17-year-old Welshman is a regen through my academy, and I think is sensational. Currently only rated at decent League Two level, but Club Brugge could not cope with him, nor could Huddersfield.

Half of the Championship have tried to sign him during the summer for their u18s, but I have refused every bid without contemplation. For me he is a first team player now, and he showed it here.

Our current annual salary is a meagre £1.78 million. That's only just over a third of the next lowest Portsmouth, just over a tenth of deadly rivals Stoke (who we are on TV against in September) and roughly a 20th of Brighton's.

26 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

Nope. Further south, but on the same side of the country........

Must be Plymouth then. Because I can only think of Bristol Rovers & Swindon on that side and they don't really feel like mid-table. Maybe Oxford at a push. 

Meanwhile I have set-up again as another League 2 club, have saved this one just in case of a crash. Somebody else has managed them in here much better than me though.

28 minutes ago, Dave92 said:

The best possible start I could hope for, 2-0 win away v Huddersfield. Note the name Ryan Hall. The 17-year-old Welshman is a regen through my academy, and I think is sensational. Currently only rated at decent League Two level, but Club Brugge could not cope with him, nor could Huddersfield. Half of the Championship have tried to sign him during the summer for their u18s, but I have refused every bid without contemplation. For me he is a first team player now, and he showed it here. Our current annual salary is a meagre £1.78 million. That's only just over a third of the next lowest Portsmouth, just over a tenth of deadly rivals Stoke (who we are on TV against in September) and roughly a 20th of Brighton's.

Great start @Dave92a valiant effort there so far.

So I decided to go back to Portsmouth again for a longer term save. I know the first season should be formality from previous experience, but we are on course to break the 120 points last time.

2.png.63a2b547dd2350385d143a4707f4113d.png

However one of our losses is in this ridiculous fashion, not only we threw away a 2-0 lead, two of the goals are conceded in stoppage time after they were down to 10 men, and of course the last second goal was a worldie. Probably my worst loss I can remember in FM, if we were not well ahead in the league I would be super mad.

3.png.ac1eb594436aa4792d9a3bcf015d207d.png

We did have our epic comeback as well against Charlton:

5.png.7436f75b04dbcf2c5b93bddd996d082c.png

Another entertaining game in EFL Cup against Chelsea, we were in lead in Standford Bridge at one point thanks to Kepa, but Ben Close's red card after just being subbed on ruined our chances.

4.png.7d2a275a59139d415cc1e87eba203c59.png

Again since first transfer window is disabled, we only added some additional domestic loan deals for more depth, as shown below the original squad is just too good for this level (wish I could say the same IRL)

1.thumb.png.ff08f8ea7369779d8594313e9edab0c6.png