FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

@warlock Ah that was a disappointing end but totally understand. I think they need to soften player unhappiness in FM22 as it happens too much to first team players. 

Yes I loved my time in Lorient and glad to hear it inspired yours at Lens. It's good to see you travel overseas in real life and FM, I think it definitely breaks up the EFL experience so good to move away and come back more refreshed for it. 

Malaga should be good. I've rarely done Spanish teams despite watching a number of live games there and living in Barcelona for a bit some years back. I really hope you enjoy Malaga! By the way if you want to give them a go with the real names and updated squads, I can give you a link for it via PM. I found the name fix tricky but this one particular file does that in addition to transfers (as of deadline day), relegations and promotions. I think it looks nicer to read La Liga when viewing it. Message here if you want the link as I won't be signed in. If I see that you do that, I will log in at some point and PM it to you. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Message here if you want the link

That sounds like a worthwhile exercise for future saves. I've already put quite a few hours into this one and about to kick off the season so I'll probably stick with things as they are for now. But by all means send the link... a manager's position is never secure :lol:

1 hour ago, warlock said:

That sounds like a worthwhile exercise for future saves. I've already put quite a few hours into this one and about to kick off the season so I'll probably stick with things as they are for now. But by all means send the link... a manager's position is never secure :lol:

Sent via PM. But yes not worth losing those hours if you've got up and running already.

So after struggling to progress from the Championship to the Prem on my Hereford save I completed a phenomenal 4th season in the Championship by repeatedly sabotaging my efforts to win the league with some terrible draws and even losing 4-3 to Newcastle after being up 3-0 at half time.

Brought in a new keeper and defender after selling my club record goal scorer ( a regen who was 23 when I sold him) to fund the new boys I went on a solid (if unremarkable) second half of the campaign that saw my make the playoffs in 5th.

I beat West Ham home and away in the semis before playing Newcastle in the final, Proust to the game I had not beat Newcastle in the 6 previous games against them but ran out comfortable 2-0 winners to gain promotion.

Finally I have got Hereford to the Prem and I’m over the moon, but the season was better than I could have imagined, we got into some financial difficulty during the season as the club had decided to build a new stadium at the start of it and the cost was killing us, but a decent league cup run helped before we somehow managed to beat 3rd in the Prem Spurs (managed by Jose) in the semi final of the FA cup and then to top that we almost cruised past Klopps Liverpool 2-0 to win the FA cup as well

10 hours ago, warlock said:

Congrats - good things are worth waiting for :applause:. Sounds like a near thing in the Cup final, too.

Good luck in the Prem :thup:

Thanks fella although I worded the Cup final wrong, we beat Liverpool 2-0 but I was trying to say that we were close to cruising it as although they had chances they weren’t great chances and we just sailed to the trophy 

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Even better :lol:

It was especially as Klopps pre game interview he was banging on about us being rubbish and that they were gonna smash us.

Well I’ve now done the Community shield and 2 league games and it’s fair to say the dream is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

We lost 5-1 to City in the shield then 6-3 to Arsenal and then 3-1 to Everton in the league……..this could be a long season

4 hours ago, wakesta said:

can people recommend players to sign or loan for these positions IWB Left & IWB right?

Afraid I can't help - never use IWBs, but looking at the required attributes they don't look too different from standard WBs. My usual go-to loans for those positions include Jake Vokins at Southampton; Mads Roerslev and Dominic Thompson at Brentford; Ethan Laird and Brandon Williams at Manchester United (if you have the budget); Robbie Gotz at Leeds. 

I'm back! 

Firstly, I must apologise for my absence in this thread for quite some time. Due to work, personal life and FM saves in Scotland and Norway as well as a first foray in to creating my own career thread with a save in Italy, I've been missing from this thread for about 6 months and I'm sorry for not paying your saves enough attention.

After mulling over different leagues for one last challenge on this years' FM, I have decided to return to the thread that always inspires me most every year. Usually, I'm a pragmatic manager, one who likes the safety of first-season low expectations in order to give me time to mould the club in to how I want it to run and play. However, in my final save, I've decided to put pressure on myself. I've decided to pick a club with an important history, a fairly large wage bill, a bloated squad and one that has struggled to meet expectations for far too long....

Official Nottingham Forest App - Apps on Google Play  

Was there anywhere else that I could really go? A brilliant fan-base, a fierce same-division rivalry and a yearn for a return to former glories, I've taken over from Chris Hughton at the City Ground. As always, to make the save harder for myself I only pair my Pro-licence badge with a semi-professional background, keeping my reputation down at half a star. Furthermore, I always start with the transfer window turned off, forcing me to use the squad left for me by the previous regime. 

What I've done differently this time is started by already promising players that cuts are going to be made. I never issue promises in the opening meetings, but I'm going to be clear from the off-set with this squad. I don't like it. The wage bill is too high for my liking (8th in the league), the average age is too high for my liking (2nd highest in the league) and the 30+ man initial squad is too high for my liking. Furthermore, there are 5 players on loan at the club and for those who have been unfortunate to follow any of my previous saves, you'll know I'm not a massive fan of filling my squad with loan deals. 

So the overall plan is to strip the squad, build from within by introducing youth players to first-team football carefully but regularly and build a squad and club that isn't over-paying, over-filling and under-achieving. Where this differs from previous saves of mine is that I have the pressure of the board wanting a minimum finish of a play-off position, so it really is going to be a tough task as I'm looking for a rebuild whilst reaching the heights of a top 6 position in a very tough league.

Wish me luck!

Nottingham Forest Supporters Club on Twitter: "One year ago today was the  last time we were all able to watch #NFFC at the City Ground. Let's hope we  can safely return here

The Squad:

image.png.266e58580e3704ea7e4a347e36d6b3ee.png

At the back - We've got a decent starting GK in Samba, with some good CB options in Worrall, McKenna and Figueiredo backed up by the experience of Dawson and Hefele. The full backs are ok, with Ribeiro having potential to improve. Definitely potential there for a good set-up at the back, with Soh in the development squad too. Initial thoughts are FB's are needing to be sourced for long-term, but for now, there's a chance for the current crop to keep their place in the squad moving forward.

image.png.fba9caf7ece9fd0f19435acf7bd582a9.png

Centre of the park - People will have their own opinions, but for me, I don't like the options here. Yates is someone I want to build the midfield around. He's big, strong and can cover a number of midfield roles and is also friendly with fellow local lad Worrall, both of whom I want in the spine of my team. Aside from Yates, we have Jack Colback, the ginger ninja who was disliked by fans on the north and south sides of the River Tyne. He'll work hard, but he's very limited. Same for Arter, Cafu, Bachirou and Sow.  For me they're all very similar and with Bachirou being the only one of them under 30, it's a place that needs freshening up big time.

Then we look at potential creative options in midfield and they all have one thing in common, they're all on loan! :seagull:  Yes, a deal may be able to be struck with their parent clubs, but if not, I've wasted a whole season paying wages for players that I don't want here long term or don't want to be here long term. I know from previous posts of others that Garner normally performs well, so I'm looking forward to using him. As for the other 3 loanees, they have the potential to do well, but in all honesty, I can't see them staying any longer than what the loan contract stipulates.

image.thumb.png.a3ed11a4a6d61ae77793c239e9289712.png

In attack - A little light out-wide, with Mighten the only right-footed wing option in the squad. Again the common theme here is age. I'm not against having experienced players, in-fact, I love having experienced players in my squad. But in our case, we have too many. Grabban and Murray will always score goals in the lower levels if you set your team up right, but their just not viable long-term options. I'm keen to see how Lyle Taylor does, but with us wanting to achieve promotion in the next 2 seasons, I'm not sure he'll but cut out for it. Ameobi and Lolley are solid wide options that should provide their share of assists and goals.

Overall:

The squad is too old and too bloated. With transfers being off, there will be chances for those I've almost already written off to prove me wrong and play their way in to my long-term plans, but at the moment, there's a lot that I'm looking to get rid of over the next 12 months. We do have a couple of players in Worrall, McKenna, Yates and Mighten that we can start to build around, with the likes of Carvalho, Johnson, Gabriel and McGuane to come back from loan too, so it's not all bad.

As per my opening post, the challenge will be to start this rebuild with transfers off in the first window whilst under the pressure of meeting the lofty expectations.

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

Firstly, I must apologise for my absence in this thread for quite some time

Consider yourself forgiven, especially for reviving the thread - we've missed quite a few of the old regulars this year. I'll very much look forward to following your Forest trail. I've taken them on multiple times over the last few FMs, in doomed attempts to repeat the legacy of Brian Clough - usually manage to get them promoted first time but that promoted season in the PL always destroys my resolve. So I wish you nothing but success (however you define it).

The squad always seems to be an odd mix of the good, the bad, and the unreliable - eg, in most of my saves Lolley has been the standout player, but he was just awful in my most recent attempt. Toby Fig can be brilliant or bollards, as can Grabban. I haven't managed Garner since the last update but he was brilliant before that, probably my favourite player in FM20 and 21.

My biggest tip: get rid of the idiot DoF as soon as you can.

Good luck :thup:

19 minutes ago, warlock said:

My biggest tip: get rid of the idiot DoF as soon as you can.

Good luck :thup:

Thanks @warlock, much appreciated. 

And he's gone! Although I'm limited to brining in unemployed staff for now, I've still decided to release those that I don't feel are good enough for the rebuild. Following DoF Dourekas out the door is loan manager Ed Henderson, scout Michael Whittley, physio Dimitris Kaplanis, performance analyst Tom Corden and head performance analyst Carlos Marquez.

I'm going to try a new approach with my appointment of staff, actively searching for those who share similar philosophies and tactical styles. Previously I would just hire the coach with the highest ratings and not pay attention to details such as tactical style, preferred formation and playing style, but this time I will.

@smplfc123Welcome back from the chilly outposts of Scotland & Norway.

And best of luck with Forest. They're probably just happy being the second biggest shambles in the East Midlands :rolleyes:

There is some young talent on the books (including those out on loan like Johnson and Gabriel as you're not using any data update), but I agree with your assessment of the squad. It needs breaking up unceremoniously. 

18 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@smplfc123Welcome back from the chilly outposts of Scotland & Norway.

And best of luck with Forest. They're probably just happy being the second biggest shambles in the East Midlands :rolleyes:

There is some young talent on the books (including those out on loan like Johnson and Gabriel as you're not using any data update), but I agree with your assessment of the squad. It needs breaking up unceremoniously. 

Thanks @Jogo Bonito. I must admit as much as I love this thread, I did really enjoy my saves abroad this year! 

Have you got a certain save on the go at the moment?

2 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Thanks @Jogo Bonito. I must admit as much as I love this thread, I did really enjoy my saves abroad this year! 

Have you got a certain save on the go at the moment?

Quite right to sample other countries. Aberdeen and which side in Norway? I wonder how the EFL experience will be on FM22, foreign signings could be tough from the first season (in FM21 it was second season onwards). The EFL will always be a comfortable fit, with so many good options.

I haven't had much FM time recently. Did several seasons with Ipswich, and I am part way through my first season with Montpellier. Unfortunately actual game time has been very limited, but I should get a season done with them.

I have given a fair bit of thought to FM22 though. I have been planning transfer targets and have a handful of specific EFL club challenges picked and planned for, two European projects waiting (one a new league and one in a country I only ever did briefly some time back) and one other British project at a club I never controlled before.

14 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Quite right to sample other countries. Aberdeen and which side in Norway?

I have been planning transfer targets and have  a handful of specific EFL club challenges picked and planned for, two European projects waiting (one a new league and one in a country I only ever did briefly some time back) and one other British project at a club I never controlled before.

Stromgodset in Norway for 3 seasons and I also did 3 seasons with Chievo in Italy. 

That's the only thing that's almost deterring me from new saves now, is that there's plenty of clubs i'm eyeing up in the EFL, but in their current situations, not the situation that they're in on FM21.

Look forward to reading about your season in Montpellier. 

Anyone in particular you think you'll start with in FM22?

Edited by smplfc123

5 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Stromgodset in Norway for 3 seasons and I also did 3 seasons with Chievo in Italy. 

That's the only thing that's almost deterring me from new saves now, is that there's plenty of clubs i'm eyeing up in the EFL, but in their current situations, not the situation that they're in on FM21.

Look forward to reading about your season in Montpellier. 

Anyone in particular you think you'll start with in FM22?

Ah nice, six seasons is some going for you. Good work! 

Yes, I totally agree about the EFL. For FM22 there will be some great options, but like you said I'm also not bothered to do these EFL clubs on FM21 even with one of the numerous great data updates. However, I have used those data updates to help me look through clubs and squads (even kits) that I like the look of. Derby will be popular and I can really see why, but they are not currently on my list.

I have found eight clubs that are really appealing to me for the new version. One may be started in BETA but I'm a slow player so that would have to be a club only for one season at most. I'm not sure if one of my eight fits that criteria to be honest. If not, it might have to be Fulham instead (ninth club already :rolleyes:) as their squad needs nobody adding and should be easy to promote. For the main game, two of my clubs are in Europe, one is in Scotland, and five are EFL clubs (2 x Championship, 2 x League 1 and 1 x League 2). Which one I start with first is to be decided!

So yes, rambling now (sorry), I've decided the clubs, and for all of them I have identified my own transfer targets and recorded which players I intend to ditch. This year, instead of having all the transfer target names in my head, I have written them all down. So if I need a left-back, I'll go to my sheets of names (sorted in to positions and suitability for each club) and then see who fits the identity and status of my team. Before I take over each of these clubs, I know the positions I want to strengthen, and areas where there are too many players to utilise and where trimming is needed.  Ultimately incoming transfers will come down to finances and ability to strike a deal with the club, agent and player, but I feel well prepared for shaping each of these clubs in the way I will consider realistic. 

Edited by Jogo Bonito

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I've decided the clubs, and for all of them I have identified my own transfer targets and recorded which players I intend to ditch... I have written them all down... I'll go to my sheets of names (sorted in to positions and suitability for each club)... Before I take over each of these clubs, I know the positions I want to strengthen, and areas where there are too many players to utilise and where trimming is needed

Wow :eek:. Sounds like FM has become a full-time job - no wonder that Montpellier update is taking so long :lol:

I envy your organisation and planning; if I'd done a bit of planning and forethought before Malaga I might have found some better players sooner :onmehead:

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

Wow :eek:. Sounds like FM has become a full-time job - no wonder that Montpellier update is taking so long :lol:

I envy your organisation and planning; if I'd done a bit of planning and forethought before Malaga I might have found some better players sooner :onmehead:

Haha. The problem is finding time to play. I have so many player names floating around my head that I want to have in my squad, but don't like signing the same player over and over. So I have to be properly organised to shortlist players for each club, and this year I finally decided to write them down!

I can make those notes in the office if thoughts come along, but don't think I would be able to play FM on my laptop there. By the time evening comes, playing time never seems to happen so sometimes I make a few more notes etc. To be honest, I would be your ideal FMT player from a time and speed point of view - if only you could have a proper database size on there. As you can't, I don't usually even bother downloading FMT even though it's free. I couldn't play the game without knowing I can find the players that are in my head  :herman:

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I don't usually even bother downloading FMT

Up until, I think, FM18 I pretty much played FMT exclusively. Not sure why it changed, but I find it far too limiting now. I do use it for tactical experiments sometimes. Just looked, and I played Touch for 6.4 hours this year :)

11 minutes ago, warlock said:

Up until, I think, FM18 I pretty much played FMT exclusively. Not sure why it changed, but I find it far too limiting now. I do use it for tactical experiments sometimes. Just looked, and I played Touch for 6.4 hours this year :)

That's interesting. I think I would only miss the full DB, but unless it changes I know which game I will need :thup:

Hello everyone I am still playing FM and am enjoying playing with Fleetwood Town in League One. 

I might even make it a career update next summer. Undoing the damage that Joey Barton caused!

The Team is well setup for a youth only run with a board that wants you to sign players UNDER 22 Years Old!

I am currently overachieving with a Sunday rep coach because I am playing a 4-2-3-1 Wide that suits the squad.

I just thought people might want to try them in FM '22.

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Meanwhile I am trying to win the Premier League at Barnsley as part of the 5000-1 challenge

Yes, please post a few updates here - it's a good challenge, and Barnsley should be a good candidate.

On 07/10/2021 at 18:17, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck with The Tykes!

On 07/10/2021 at 20:15, warlock said:

Yes, please post a few updates here - it's a good challenge, and Barnsley should be a good candidate.

Thanks guys! I am going to post an update shortly.

The challenge is very interesting mainly because of the continuity aspect. You get points for having more players in your eventual PL winning team who were in the squad during the League One and Championship days. And not just being a part of the PL squad, but actually playing as well.

Barnsley were a good candidate yes because I've had a couple of players who have been there throughout the journey and are still playing a significant role - namely Callum Styles and Clarke Oduor. Apart from that Jack Walton, Alex Mowatt, and Mads Andersen are also around although not playing much these days.

The other thing is that you ideally cannot cross Leicester's total spend which was a little shy of 100m. I am over 80m already so have maybe one big transfer left, if required. And this is total spend, not net spend.

I am going to update below but here is a quick history of the save so far:

2021-22 season - won League One and got promoted

2022-23 season - finished 2nd in the Championship and got promoted

2023-24 season - finished 13th in the Premiership

2024-25 season - finished 2nd in the Premiership (but 12 points off the top)

2025-26 season - ongoing

Not won any other cups as well. I think we got to a semi or two. No finals yet.

So we've hit January 2026 and here is where we are. 

20211012133201_1.thumb.jpg.452ca7c7b5e234d4362da19653c01baf.jpg

This is as good a chance as we will have of completing the challenge. We finished 3rd in our UCL group (even after getting 10 points) and are therefore in the knock-outs for the UEL as well. Although full focus on the EPL of course.

20211012133210_1.thumb.jpg.471a8e7563e575a853840a0d418c168c.jpg

Squad stats above. Honestly the squad is top quality now and it would be difficult to significantly improve on this.

I really want to finish the challenge this season for the following reasons - 

- we have exactly 10 players left who were a part of the Championship squad. some of them not playing and will want to leave soon.

- Alan Velasco one of our key players who is here on loan for a 3rd season but Man City have clearly said they will not be extending it anymore.

Let's see what happens!

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

This is as good a chance as we will have of completing the challenge.

Going well there :thup:

I dabbled with the challenge a while back but having just got Hull City from L1 to the top of the Championship, I realised I was just repeating that save and lost interest. But I do like these challenges where your choice of club is dictated by events and I'll definitely give it another go in FM22.

Good luck with the rest of the season!

3 hours ago, warlock said:

Going well there :thup:

I dabbled with the challenge a while back but having just got Hull City from L1 to the top of the Championship, I realised I was just repeating that save and lost interest. But I do like these challenges where your choice of club is dictated by events and I'll definitely give it another go in FM22.

Good luck with the rest of the season!

Thank you, yes it's certainly been a fun challenge. Would probably make a good sign off for FM21. 

Challenge complete!

20211013162014_1.thumb.jpg.14d773f251ebdedf6ab1637a4e2d3cab.jpg

The final league table. All the big teams eventually bombed and gave us a clear run at the title. Evidenced by Leeds finishing 2nd! This is also the lowest points tally to win the EPL since the start of my save.

Overall squad stats - Brenner had the best season I have had from a player on FM this year for sure.

20211013161852_1.thumb.jpg.bdcdf63e1c7de01908b2cd36cdcd2b07.jpg

And to finish the season well, we went and won the Quadruple - EPL, FA Cup, Europa League and Community Shield. What a way to sign off this save! (and perhaps FM21?)

20211013161814_1.thumb.jpg.b5d632df93f01981fc3e8af2e26c1cff.jpg

If anyone wants to see screenshots of a particular player or any other info do let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rollin93 said:

Don’t suppose anyone can give me an idea of who to be on fm22

I haven't a had a proper look at the EFL in FM22 yet. Depends what you're looking for, really. Cambridge would be a real battle to keep them up; Newport are perennial playoff hopefuls but might not have enough for another go; Oxford are reliably solid but look a bit thin in defence.

Off the back of Covid a lot of clubs (almost all of them, in fact) are in poor shape financially, either under transfer embargoes or just lacking the funds for reinforcements. I think FM22 might be a year where we'll need a bit of patience with multi-season campaigns for promotions. (At least, I hope that's the case :D).

One club I can recommend are Forest Green Rovers - I've played a few months with them in beta and they have a balanced squad with some good talent. I'll definitely be going back to them again at some point.

I should have the FM22 version of this thread up before the end of next week.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

I haven't a had a proper look at the EFL in FM22 yet. Depends what you're looking for, really. Cambridge would be a real battle to keep them up; Newport are perennial playoff hopefuls but might not have enough for another go; Oxford are reliably solid but look a bit thin in defence.

Off the back of Covid a lot of clubs (almost all of them, in fact) are in poor shape financially, either under transfer embargoes or just lacking the funds for reinforcements. I think FM22 might be a year where we'll need a bit of patience with multi-season campaigns for promotions. (At least, I hope that's the case :D).

One club I can recommend are Forest Green Rovers - I've played a few months with them in beta and they have a balanced squad with some good talent. I'll definitely be going back to them again at some point.

It would be great if it proved more difficult to get promotions. I fear it won't be though, even with the known financial challenges. 

I think I'm going to notch down the manager level a bit below the natural level for the club to try and make it harder, at least on the coaching badges. I think if you knock the manager rep down too much, all that will happen is dressing room disrespect and anarchy, which knowing how player interactions are in game would not be fun! No senior affiliates is another way of making it tougher, and ideally no loans either unless they're realistic. These have been a couple of my preference for a few years and I will generally try to do that again. Can't always resist the odd loan though...

On the flip side, picking clubs under embargo will be harder than in reality. SI only have two settings (embargo or not) and they don't have the ability to replicate the exact embargo terms - e.g. some clubs IRL can sign free agents, usually with a maximum wage of those free agents. Some have one in and one out possibilities, some have senior player number limit freedom etc. In FM it will be all or nothing on the embargo.

I agree on Forest Green Rovers, they're one of two EFL League 2 clubs that would appeal to me and have a very balanced squad. I took them on in their first EFL season, halfway through the campaign and they were cut adrift at the foot of the table. Managed to avoid the drop and did a few years there . It's a good club with good players this year. Having said that, my League 2 pick this year is probably just Swindon as I never managed them before. I've picked a couple of clubs in each league though so when I will try them, I have no idea!

Looking forward to your new thread when it's done, good man.

12 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

It would be great if it proved more difficult to get promotions

We're just too good, eh? :cool:

Agree with both your points regarding making life a little more difficult; manager rep is a recipe for a major lack of enjoyment but a downgrade to coaching badges should work.

I'm hoping for some improvements to the game on Tuesday. After the shiny, new gloss wore off the beta I found it just a bit meh. But we live in hope :ackter:

7 minutes ago, warlock said:

We're just too good, eh? :cool:

Agree with both your points regarding making life a little more difficult; manager rep is a recipe for a major lack of enjoyment but a downgrade to coaching badges should work.

I'm hoping for some improvements to the game on Tuesday. After the shiny, new gloss wore off the beta I found it just a bit meh. But we live in hope :ackter:

I'm sure it will be a very good game as always. I only did pre-season and about 10 games with Fulham in my one BETA test. The ME was nice, although crossing obviously needs tweaking. The clicks are a bit too much for me, but you can't please everybody. I agree on the badges, I am sure for EFL clubs that can be knocked down one or maybe two levels without making the game unenjoyable :cool:

I hope you have less clubs in your shortlist than I do my friend...

4 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I hope you have less clubs in your shortlist than I do my friend...

Hmm, I wouldn't count on it. Unless you have a hundred or so :lol:. The trouble is, having broken out of my comfort zone in the last couple of months and had really enjoyable saves with Malaga and Toulouse, I've now got a taste for warmer climes in Europe. So I'll be heading back to France and Spain, probably adding Germany, and am determined to break into Italian football. I also have a couple of clubs in each of the EFL divisions, plus a couple of non-league targets. Oh, and there's this club called Brentford - have to give them a go (or two, or three). So much to do, so little time... only around 50 weeks until the FM23 beta.

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Hmm, I wouldn't count on it. Unless you have a hundred or so :lol:. The trouble is, having broken out of my comfort zone in the last couple of months and had really enjoyable saves with Malaga and Toulouse, I've now got a taste for warmer climes in Europe. So I'll be heading back to France and Spain, probably adding Germany, and am determined to break into Italian football. I also have a couple of clubs in each of the EFL divisions, plus a couple of non-league targets. Oh, and there's this club called Brentford - have to give them a go (or two, or three). So much to do, so little time... only around 50 weeks until the FM23 beta.

:stop:            :lol:

OK full disclosure time?

I have two in each EFL league (6). One in Greece, Italy (Serie C-C), Belgium and Scotland (10). That's already more than I did in FM21. Or FM20 etc.

In addition, possibly a Serie A side in Italy. Ideally one in Spain (I feel guilty neglecting there so long), and then Portugal (breaking my two year plus travel ban to go there again next week) and/or Germany because they have easy foreign player rules. Then Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland are calling....

3 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

full disclosure time

Impressive list, and quite a few nations I've never taken on. I really ought to do a save in Holland - I think every football fan should, so this might be the year :thup:

2 hours ago, warlock said:

I looked at forest green but I done a long save with them on fm21 so fancy a chance 

I look forward to seeing the thread always enjoy the content 

13 minutes ago, warlock said:

Impressive list, and quite a few nations I've never taken on. I really ought to do a save in Holland - I think every football fan should, so this might be the year :thup:

I've never done Greece either (but easier rules than Turkey for me) so going for Panathinaikos. I've only ever done Parma in Italy (Serie A) so my Serie C-C game will be a long one that I might duck in and out of. I only dallied in Belgium before but due to watching 'The Score' (hunt it out on Google or More 4) and their links with Tanzanian strikers (OK two of them but that's a lot for Tanzania) I am going to try KRC Genk. I was watching lots of Belgian football this season until the licence changed. But I found out last weekend another company is showing it along with Dutch games for free.

Talking of Holland, I think I did Ajax once but not for long and it was years ago. AZ or one of the clubs just below them (Heerenveen, Feyenoord, FC Twente, Vitesse, Groningen) would be nice.

Fuller disclosure. My EFL picks are Coventry & Middlesbrough, Plymouth & maybe Wigan - only because of Bahraini owner, Swindon & Forest Green Rovers.

I'm trying not to go back to France, done it so many times and need new places to visit!

Edited by Jogo Bonito