AI only plays player in his "natural" position, even if he's completely unsuited for it.

Ruh Roh

This is a stupid editor/2003-04 custom database thing, but I think it's an extreme example that gives a good window into some AI behavior that can be improved. 

image.thumb.png.08912cc3dea7c1f6f0a102d70771953d.png

When you don't have a 20 for any positional rating, the game will fill in a 20 at CB and make you a natural CB. I think Wayne Rooney is a natural MC in the FM2021 DB, with high values for ST/AMC. But it reads a database change that drops that MC rating down, the ST/AMC values aren't 20s, at least in FM21, so boom, CB. But he's a terrible CB. Still, they've been playing him there for 3 years (4 goals in 91 games), even with perfectly decent ratings at ST/AMC.

image.png.b94917ab64fb71d33004d0faa049719c.png

I would go as far as to say that player position ratings, the versatility rating, retraining player positions - I don't think it's a very good system, I think it's an artifact from like 20 FMs ago, and most of the famously versatile players in world football are all-rounders and/or two-footed. But I still understand why it's there, especially from a UI perspective. But if the system is this rigid that the AI manager makes 3 marking Wayne Rooney play CB for 3 years, how is regular position retraining working at all?

Edited by Ruh Roh