Training: How much match prep?

Simple question. Given a week how much match prep should you be training? It i the only thing that directly effects that match. Currently I try to do 2-3 sessions before every match. This means that in weeks where I have 2 matches I am only doing match prep.

What are the forums thoughts?

11 hours ago, Herolover said:

Simple question. Given a week how much match prep should you be training? It i the only thing that directly effects that match. Currently I try to do 2-3 sessions before every match. This means that in weeks where I have 2 matches I am only doing match prep.

What are the forums thoughts?

First - love to see another Sporting KC fan!

As for the actual question - I try to do at least 2 match prep sessions before every game. Always 'teamwork' and then either 'defensive positioning' or 'attacking movement', depending on the opposition. If I have more time, I'll do more (especially with more evenly matched or better teams) and sometimes include 'attacking corners'.

This does mean for me, too, that some weeks have basically nothing but match training. But, as I recall someone else mentioning when advocating this same sort of approach, that is often the complaint of real managers - not enough time for real training, only preparing for matches.

But I am interested in what sort of long-term effect this might have on player development