Tactical advice on my 4-3-3 DM Wide

Hi. Was looking for some help regarding my tactic with Liverpool, February first season. We've been doing well up until December/January, top of the league and unbeaten. But since then we've lost 3 in our last 4, West ham (a), Man City (a) and Man Utd (a). We've still been playing ok, in regards of XG and chances created but we've had a hard time scoring and have conceded more.

Now I know it's only 3 loses, that's not the end of the world, but 3 in our last 4 is a lot since we where unbeaten prior. And sure, City and United away are probably our toughest games of the season (except maybe Everton as well) so could be what's expected, but I was still wondering if you could have look at my tactic and see if there's any problems with it you could think of, to help me start winning again.

The tactic: Usually we play with 'Higher DL' and 'Use offside' trap, removed it here prior to United since their forwards are so fast. Also front 3 plus Mezzala has PI 'Close down more'. Sometimes in away games I will, besides from the changing the DL like I mentioned above, change the DLP(d) to a DM(d), the Mez(s) to a AP(s) and the WB(a) to at WB(s).

I've included the stats from our last game against United, they scored twice from our left flank and once on a corner. None of their goals was from a counter-attack, our defense was in place on both their goals from open play.

Any help or thoughts on the tactic would be much appreciated. Cheers. 

Edit: When Thiago plays Mezzala he has PI 'Take more risks'.

1443346399_TacticHome.thumb.jpg.00fbcfe8ab82bcb2166d20f8d85ff848.jpg

United.thumb.jpg.abd6b42af95af74a3ed3dcfb1b9b360b.jpg

Edited by RLC

I don't think it looks that bad tbh. I'd say you're lacking a little penetration though. Could I ask why you have Mane as the most attacking winger? Salah is far more dangerous and also has the Offside Trap PPM so he'd be my more natural choice.

I'm not a huge fan of CAR's in 433 formations if I'm honest but each to their own here. I'd rather play Hendo maybe on a DLPsu and flip the attacking roles on the wingers and have Thiago as an attacking Mez instead. That'll give you some more protection for TAA's runs as well.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Hi. Was looking for some help regarding my tactic with Liverpool, February first season. We've been doing well up until December/January, top of the league and unbeaten. But since then we've lost 3 in our last 4, West ham (a), Man City (a) and Man Utd (a). We've still been playing ok, in regards of XG and chances created but we've had a hard time scoring and have conceded more.

Now I know it's only 3 loses, that's not the end of the world, but 3 in our last 4 is a lot since we where unbeaten prior. And sure, City and United away are probably our toughest games of the season (except maybe Everton as well) so could be what's expected, but I was still wondering if you could have look at my tactic and see if there's any problems with it you could think of, to help me start winning again.

The tactic: Usually we play with 'Higher DL' and 'Use offside' trap, removed it here prior to United since their forwards are so fast. Also front 3 plus Mezzala has PI 'Close down more'. Sometimes in away games I will, besides from the changing the DL like I mentioned above, change the DLP(d) to a DM(d), the Mez(s) to a AP(s) and the WB(a) to at WB(s).

I've included the stats from our last game against United, they scored twice from our left flank and once on a corner. None of their goals was from a counter-attack, our defense was in place on both their goals from open play.

Any help or thoughts on the tactic would be much appreciated. Cheers. 

Edit: When Thiago plays Mezzala he has PI 'Take more risks'.

1443346399_TacticHome.thumb.jpg.00fbcfe8ab82bcb2166d20f8d85ff848.jpg

United.thumb.jpg.abd6b42af95af74a3ed3dcfb1b9b360b.jpg

I, personally, see little wrong. I also like that TAA is your "Attacking" fullback, by selected duty. Everything on the structure, itself, looks good. Except Haaland. He is not a CF on support. In fact, very few players can pull off that role. I find that Mane and Salah are better fit for the role because of their all round play(bar heading), ppm(run with ball), attributes and overall pace. The role is a ball carrier. Haaland is not a ball carrier. 

35 minutes ago, Justified said:

I don't think it looks that bad tbh. I'd say you're lacking a little penetration though. Could I ask why you have Mane as the most attacking winger? Salah is far more dangerous and also has the Offside Trap PPM so he'd be my more natural choice.

Thanks for your input!  Yeah Salah on attack was my first thought as well but then I wanted TTA to attack the right wing so I put him on attack and I didn't want both players on the right side to be on attack. Perhaps I could try TTA as WB(s) and then both Salah and Mane on attack, and then maybe a DLF/F9 as CF to be able to supply both my attacking wingers.

35 minutes ago, Justified said:

I'm not a huge fan of CAR's in 433 formations if I'm honest but each to their own here. I'd rather play Hendo maybe on a DLPsu and flip the attacking roles on the wingers and have Thiago as an attacking Mez instead. That'll give you some more protection for TAA's runs as well.

I used the CAR as he stays wider so that he will give defensive cover when TTA goes forward, but maybe that's not necessary if I use TTA as a WB(s) instead, maybe I'll give it a go, thanks.

40 minutes ago, denen123 said:

I, personally, see little wrong. I also like that TAA is your "Attacking" fullback, by selected duty. Everything on the structure, itself, looks good. Except Haaland. He is not a CF on support. In fact, very few players can pull off that role. I find that Mane and Salah are better fit for the role because of their all round play(bar heading), ppm(run with ball), attributes and overall pace. The role is a ball carrier. Haaland is not a ball carrier. 

Thanks, yeah fair point. I just bought him i January so he hasn't played that many games yet. But yeah, I would want him as a AF or similar but I found that the ST was getting to isolated in the build up and was too far away from the rest of the team, but you're right about Haaland as a player so might have to adjust my tactic a bit to fit him better, I did buy him after all...

23 minutes ago, RLC said:

Thanks, yeah fair point. I just bought him i January so he hasn't played that many games yet. But yeah, I would want him as a AF or similar but I found that the ST was getting to isolated in the build up and was too far away from the rest of the team, but you're right about Haaland as a player so might have to adjust my tactic a bit to fit him better, I did buy him after all...

Pressing Forward on attack is less of a ball carrier and ideal for Haaland. He'll also force occasional long balls by playing on CB shoulder. 

I don't use it, as much(my strikers are usually converted wingers), but it is a really good role.

25 minutes ago, denen123 said:

Pressing Forward on attack is less of a ball carrier and ideal for Haaland. He'll also force occasional long balls by playing on CB shoulder. 

I don't use it, as much(my strikers are usually converted wingers), but it is a really good role.

Thanks! Yeah that’s sounds like a good role, I’ll give it a try. 

On 09/12/2020 at 17:50, denen123 said:

Tried Haaland as a PF(a) in my formation but he kept getting isolated, pretty much like the AF. Might have to rearrange the tactic a bit, was thinking about switching to at 4-2-3-1 maybe, it might suit him better. 

Ok so tried to change the tactic for my Liverpool team to include Haaland more, but wasn't really getting it to work with the original tactic so decided to make a complete new one instead.

A 4-2-3-1 wide, and this time I wanted to try a more attacking and high intensity approach than before. What do you guys think, any flaws you could help me with? Thanks in advance.

1276367614_New4231.thumb.jpg.9a91688dcdbed8f85eb2324274ca696e.jpg

7 minutes ago, retrodude09 said:

Roles & duties look fine although again, I would question why the left winger is more attacking than the right? (Assuming its Mane & Salah respectively). 

Is "Higher Tempo" necessary when you're playing on attacking? 

Thanks. Yeah sorry the AMR is on attack when Salah plays, forgot to change after our last match where Shaqiri was AMR and Mane AML, so switched the roles/duties.

Regarding tempo; yeah you're right, might be a bit overkill. Started out with positive and high tempo and forgot about that when I changed it to attacking. Good point, thanks.