Blisters!

I'm just about to play the Champions League final and Bruno Fernandes has blisters and misses out! Obviously, this is a hammer blow (also lost Maguire in the week running up to the final). I have seen blisters pop up as an injury in previous versions and I've always thought it a bit odd. I have never heard of a professional footballer missing a game of football with blisters! Now I'm sure blisters can be very painful but there's no pain killing injection available either. Is it just me or this injury overstated? Just wear some compeed and get on with it!

I agree that this is an unusual and annoying injury in this day and age.  I have never understood why a player cannot play with blisters but there you go.  I have had blisters and know how sore they can be, but treatment and pre-game pain relief should be sufficient for them to pay an important match, surely?

5 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I agree that this is an unusual and annoying injury in this day and age.  I have never understood why a player cannot play with blisters but there you go.  I have had blisters and know how sore they can be, but treatment and pre-game pain relief should be sufficient for them to pay an important match, surely?

Yeah exactly. Feel like this is something that should be considered in the game.

Anyway, I won the final 3-0 so no big issue!

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

To go really, really far back, Arsenal legend Cliff Bastin once scalded his foot badly in the bath and Head Trainer Tom Whittaker built him a special boot cast so he could play on the blister. Apparently it was the weirdest sensation as he could feel the water moving up and down the blisters.

26 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

This is why in my Realistic Injuries mod, blisters are still there, but able to be played through with protective equipment. So your player wouldn't have missed out, just maybe wouldn't play at 100%.

You go for it! :cool:

I had a player come off with a bruised shin and I'd used all my subs and had a man sent off. (He was out for the sum total of 1 day with orange injured, not even full red injured)

Now I played semi-pro football in my youth and I can say with 1,000,000% certainty. That player would never play again and would be an absolute pariah in the dressing room if it came out he had a bruised shin and left the boys to toil with 9 men for 25 minutes rather than play on.

He'd be binned straight off.

I can also say for a cup final especially a Champs league final you are playing with blisters. Ya getting injected for anything worse. Only reason ya missing that is if something is torn or actually broken.

Its total unrealistic.

1 hour ago, kiwityke said:

I had a player come off with a bruised shin and I'd used all my subs and had a man sent off. (He was out for the sum total of 1 day with orange injured, not even full red injured)

Now I played semi-pro football in my youth and I can say with 1,000,000% certainty. That player would never play again and would be an absolute pariah in the dressing room if it came out he had a bruised shin and left the boys to toil with 9 men for 25 minutes rather than play on.

He'd be binned straight off.

I can also say for a cup final especially a Champs league final you are playing with blisters. Ya getting injected for anything worse. Only reason ya missing that is if something is torn or actually broken.

Its total unrealistic.

Professional footballers are a lot more cautious with injuries than semi-pros. The player could have thought the injury was worse than just a bruise, as may the physio and/or manager. A player won't risk his career for 25 minutes.

Agree on the blisters point though.

1 hour ago, RHKC said:

Professional footballers are a lot more cautious with injuries than semi-pros. The player could have thought the injury was worse than just a bruise, as may the physio and/or manager. A player won't risk his career for 25 minutes.

Agree on the blisters point though.

Nah I think you'll find even pros would slaughter a lad for a bruised shin leaving em down to 9 men.

If you listen to any ex-pro talk about their career they'll often say how much they played injured. Just getting injections etc to get through a series of games.

Andy Johnson (West brom midfielder) essentially played with a broken back for about 2 years until he finally had no choice but to get surgery.

Seriously if you came off with a bruised shin leaving ya team down to 9 men you'd be absolutely binned off or have to fake a broken leg.

Maxim Choupo Moting was "injured" during the run-in of fixtures constant little niggles that kept him out of selection during his time with Stoke as relegation was beginning to look more likely. I think you'll find it varies substantially between players as to what they will or will not play through. 

4 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Maxim Choupo Moting was "injured" during the run-in of fixtures constant little niggles that kept him out of selection during his time with Stoke as relegation was beginning to look more likely. I think you'll find it varies substantially between players as to what they will or will not play through. 

And the lads like him get slaughtered by the other lads and binned off by the manager.

You might come off with a bruised shin leaving ya team with 9 men, I can guarantee its the last time you'll ever play for that manager again.

But some players are total mercenaries and don't give a care in the world because they get paid up and a signing on fee anyway so...

2 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

Nah I think you'll find even pros would slaughter a lad for a bruised shin leaving em down to 9 men.

If you listen to any ex-pro talk about their career they'll often say how much they played injured. Just getting injections etc to get through a series of games.

Andy Johnson (West brom midfielder) essentially played with a broken back for about 2 years until he finally had no choice but to get surgery.

Seriously if you came off with a bruised shin leaving ya team down to 9 men you'd be absolutely binned off or have to fake a broken leg.

Again, players and staff don't always know it's just a bruise or just a niggle until they have been able to assess the injury in the coming hours or days. Especially in the last few years, clubs and players tend to err on the side of caution. A bruised shin can cause severe pain when walked on.

Maybe if Andy Johnson had been looked after more carefully, he would have had a better career and earned more money. As it is, he's actually now an electrician.

Clever players don't care about appearing to be macho for the sake of their team mates at the risk of their career and earnings. Like it or not, it's true.

5 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

And the lads like him get slaughtered by the other lads and binned off by the manager.

You might come off with a bruised shin leaving ya team with 9 men, I can guarantee its the last time you'll ever play for that manager again.

And yet he is now playing for Bayern rather than Stoke.

3 minutes ago, RHKC said:

Again, players and staff don't always know it's just a bruise or just a niggle until they have been able to assess the injury in the coming hours or days. Especially in the last few years, clubs and players tend to err on the side of caution. A bruised shin can cause severe pain when walked on.

Maybe if Andy Johnson had been looked after more carefully, he would have had a better career and earned more money. As it is, he's actually now an electrician.

Clever players don't care about appearing to be macho for the sake of their team mates at the risk of their career and earnings. Like it or not, it's true.

I can guarantee nobody has come off with a bruised shin.

Andy Johnson played for Wales and had a pretty good career. As good as can be expected of a player of his quality, I think even he would agree with that.

11 minutes ago, RHKC said:

And this is where our conversation ends when ridiculous claims like this are made.

Have a good day :brock:

How is it ridiculous. You tell me the last time you actually saw a pro come off and leave his team short handed.

Rarer than hens teeth and then only for serious injuries.

Certainly not for a bruised shin. Its entirely unrealistic. Maybe if you've got subs left. No chance if you haven't. 

Here's the exact scenario.

Its 1-1 we just had a man sent off its the cup semi-final. I used my 3 subs to re-arrange the formation and within a minute he comes off.

I'm thinking to myself that best be a serious injury. Bruised shin 1 day...he never played for me again binned him to the reserves.

If you honestly think any pro is saying gaffer I've gotta come off here in that situation you are crazy.

(Forgot to mention I obviously lost 4-1)

Edited by kiwityke