A bit of tactical tweaking needed

I've been starting to build a tactic that looks at controlling a game, has a high press and looks to counter when winning the ball back. I've been trying it out with Real Madrid, with mixed results. Tactic is below -

707143337_Screenshot2020-12-13at17_58_22.thumb.png.6cb427f23542bfbcbc8e6dd5d7a69507.png

Idea is to have a few runners for penetration but options around the ball carrier too. Front 5 have close down more urgently and mark tighter trying to press from the front.

Is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing or is it just about being patient and finding the players to suit?

1 hour ago, RPM_01 said:

I've been starting to build a tactic that looks at controlling a game, has a high press and looks to counter when winning the ball back. I've been trying it out with Real Madrid, with mixed results. Tactic is below -

707143337_Screenshot2020-12-13at17_58_22.thumb.png.6cb427f23542bfbcbc8e6dd5d7a69507.png

Idea is to have a few runners for penetration but options around the ball carrier too. Front 5 have close down more urgently and mark tighter trying to press from the front.

Is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing or is it just about being patient and finding the players to suit?

This seems okay.

I'll just suggest you switch duties of LW and LB. Lw on support and LB on attack, for early overlaps.

You also need to check on your "IN POSSESSION" instructions. Too much of the passing length is shortened. Low crosses + shorter passing + WBIB + Fairly narrow is a bit much. Take everything off and leave it on standard. Just use Play out of defence and watch how it plays before adding anything else.

"IN TRANSITION" instructions, too. Counter + counter press might be a bit much. Keep the counter press and add distribute to fullbacks. Distr. To fullbacks + Play out of defence forces your team to build up deep and allows for the distr. To ( CB + FB ) effect but with a less rushed tempo.

Last tweak will be mentality. Home games you can start with positive and If you're not controlling as much, then you can drop to balanced to reduce risk and be more controlling. Away games, you can conserve risk by starting on "balance" and move your way up to even attacking if you're noticing that you're not forcing the play, enough for your liking.

You can discard all of these and just focus on how the dynamics of the 4-3-3 are. Pardon my English.

Definitely would not insist on the narrow(er) width and work ball into box, since both can play right into the hands of deep, compact, disciplined and well-organized opposition defenses, which you as a top team (Real) are going to face most of the time. I think it's obvious why these instructions can prove counter-productive for a team like yours. Especially the narrow width. WBiB is not bad as an occasional in-match tweak though, preferably in tandem with Be more expressive, so that the two would somewhat offset each other. 

Also agreed with @Johnny Ace on dropping the LOE slightly - can be helpful for both defending (compactness) and attacking (creating more space in the opposition half by drawing them out). 

Thanks for the replies, I've dropped the narrow width, low crosses and counter which seems to be working ok. When I try take off WBiB it just seems as though my long shots increase with no real upsides.

Dropped the LOE too a little but seems to give the opponents more freedom just to play through me as the initial press seems less effective. I think the counter to that though is more chances come my way. 

I changed the DLF to a PF, swapped the attacking duties round on the left side and made my winger more attacking to try create an overload down that right, which seems to be working ok. Downside to that is my FB can be exposed to balls over the top so a guy with good heading seems essential there now.

I don't know whether its the players but even though I'm winning the majority is scraping through or just being inconsistent, beating A Madrid, Valencia then losing 4-0 to Levante. Will keep trying!

On 14/12/2020 at 15:10, RPM_01 said:

Dropped the LOE too a little but seems to give the opponents more freedom just to play through me as the initial press seems less effective. I think the counter to that though is more chances come my way. 

I found using a Higher LOE with a normal DL worked wonders for me with the 4-3-3. We weren't pinned back and it allowed us to win the ball better. I also use a wide defensive width with this.