Tactic Idea.....Keep the Ball in their half. (Help)

So, I was listening to some commentators talk about how West Brom do not have the quality to stay up. A commentator mentioned a tactic.

The idea behind the tactic is to hoof the ball and keep the opponent out of your half and keep it in their half.

What I have so far:

Hit Early Crosses

More Direct passing

Higher Tempo

Counter-Press

Distribute Quickly with Longer Kicks.

Prevent GK distribution

Press far more urgently.

Higher Defensive Line with Offise

Tighter Marking

Much Higher Line of Engagement.

Mentality Defensive or Cautious.

As for Roles and Duties my team has to go with a 4-3-3 with DM.

So, I know I want to play with a BWM, but what else?

I haven't looked at your tactic but I find it hard to imagine how hoofing the ball keeps the opponent out of your half since you are gifting them the ball to come back at you.

In my opinion the only way to keep them out of your half is when you camp in theirs 

9 hours ago, Herolover said:

So, I was listening to some commentators talk about how West Brom do not have the quality to stay up. A commentator mentioned a tactic.

The idea behind the tactic is to hoof the ball and keep the opponent out of your half and keep it in their half.

What I have so far:

Hit Early Crosses

More Direct passing

Higher Tempo

Counter-Press

Distribute Quickly with Longer Kicks.

Prevent GK distribution

Press far more urgently.

Higher Defensive Line with Offise

Tighter Marking

Much Higher Line of Engagement.

Mentality Defensive or Cautious.

As for Roles and Duties my team has to go with a 4-3-3 with DM.

So, I know I want to play with a BWM, but what else?

I actually designed a tactic like this to play as a team called Xianxang Sport Lottery (Snow Leopard) in the Chinese division 1.

They are what i can only describe as a terrible team. Arguably the worst on the game.

Ill load up the tactic when i can get onto the game (the save has been deleted a while ago after a couple of seasons, but it worked)

2 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

My initial thought is that combining a very direct style of play ("hoofball") whilst also setting out to defend in a very aggressive high block seems like a strange and contradictory combination.

To be honest, i think what he is describing would work. Ive seen it work on FM and ive made it work on FM too for a couple of clubs.

Essentially:

Hold onto the ball long enough to get bodies forward

Smash ball forward into a small area where all the bodies are

win the 1st ball and play from there

if the first ball isnt won, youll have more players to press like mad and overwhelm the opponent at the back

The whole team doesnt need to press high, just the striking and midfield lines of the team.

This approach can work, but whether it could work at Premier League level is questionable

Just now, energumene said:

Holy mother of god, I replicated this in my own way (a back-three with an anchorman, and some tweaks here and there), and i won 3-2 and 3-0 in a row in the french third division. Seems to work !

What you thought I was joking?

I had great success with the below formation and really figured that the next evolution would be what I posted above.. ultimate high press/camping tactic.

image.png.0407c14e36ad06e9075a003d12573354.png

à l’instant, Kharza_FM a dit :

What you thought I was joking?

I had great success with the below formation and really figured that the next evolution would be what I posted above.. ultimate high press/camping tactic.

image.png.0407c14e36ad06e9075a003d12573354.png

I didnt, but I actually thought you just made it all up whileposting, planning this would be a good set up to work but still it had to be tested.  :lol:

The key thing IMHO is not to hurry too much while setting-up plays, except for counter-attacks. You still need to let your players to position themselves well, then you can hoof it upfront. I'll definitely test it a lil bit longer and make it just perfect.

This is why I came to this forum for help.

All I can tell you is what the commentator said. He said, "More direct passing and keep the ball in the opponents half."

This to me is Direct Passing and then lots of pressing.

I have a really bad team that is badly out-classed. I used the tactic above and did have went 1 win, 4 draws, 2 losses.

On 18/12/2020 at 04:09, Herolover said:

As for Roles and Duties my team has to go with a 4-3-3 with DM

Is there any rational reason why you want to use this specific formation and not some other?

I am asking because for what you want to achieve, formations such as 4-2DM-3-1 or 4-2DM-4 would both make more sense. Simply because they are both top-heavy and bottom-heavy at the same time, which allows pressing the opposition high up the pitch without excessive defensive risks.