Release on a free vs Set for release

What the difference between "Set for Release" and "Release on a Free"?

Mutual termination: I will pay like half of his salary and Release for free I will not pay anything? So why anyone will chose Mutual termination, while the other option is less painful for the club?

And what is Set for release (while I have transfer options)?

1 minute ago, drajen said:

Mutual termination: I will pay like half of his salary and Release for free I will not pay anything? So why anyone will chose Mutual termination, while the other option is less painful for the club?

Release for free isn't free, It costs you to pay the remainder of his wage, It just means you don't get a fee for him, Mutual termination is offering the player a chance to leave there and then as long as he takes less money, If he refuses he will get more from the 'release for free' option

31 minutes ago, drajen said:

Set For Release means you're getting rid of them at the end of the contract (i.e., telling them you're not renewing their contract).  It helps to do this if you plan to not re-sign some high wage players so they won't show as impacting the next season's wage budget and can thus sign players for the future despite not having room in the current season cap.