In-match graphics on iPad since update. Questions for SI

Hi.

have the in-match graphics been downgraded since the update to accommodate lower spec tablets?

is there ever going to be an option to allow users to choose quality of graphics depending on quality of tablet?

has the ME been simplified since the update or is it identical to the full fat version?

TY

21 hours ago, steam just is said:

Hi.

have the in-match graphics been downgraded since the update to accommodate lower spec tablets?

is there ever going to be an option to allow users to choose quality of graphics depending on quality of tablet?

has the ME been simplified since the update or is it identical to the full fat version?

TY

Not meant to be aggressive questions btw. I think the game is great. Just curious.

• SI Staff
On 20/12/2020 at 12:33, steam just is said:

We've just released an update (21.2.1) which may reduce graphical quality but should improve performance fairly significantly on the majority of devices - due to a bug, graphics were rendering at a higher resolution than intended which was causing performance and stability issues on some devices. It's not a case of downgrading graphics on higher spec devices to accommodate lower spec ones, as we have different configs for different performance levels, but it's something we're continually tweaking and trying to optimise to make sure that we strike the right balance between graphical quality and performance and stability on as many devices as possible.

We'd like to do this but it's much more difficult to do on iOS and Android than on PC/Mac due to the way data and assets have to be packaged on those platforms.

No simplification - it's still exactly the same Match Engine as FM.

11 hours ago, Alex Pitt said:

We've just released an update (21.2.1) which may reduce graphical quality but should improve performance fairly significantly on the majority of devices - due to a bug, graphics were rendering at a higher resolution than intended which was causing performance and stability issues on some devices. It's not a case of downgrading graphics on higher spec devices to accommodate lower spec ones, as we have different configs for different performance levels, but it's something we're continually tweaking and trying to optimise to make sure that we strike the right balance between graphical quality and performance and stability on as many devices as possible.

We'd like to do this but it's much more difficult to do on iOS and Android than on PC/Mac due to the way data and assets have to be packaged on those platforms.

No simplification - it's still exactly the same Match Engine as FM.

Really appreciate the honest answers Alex.

im wary of the new update then. One of the reasons I’m really enjoying the new game is the look of the match which returned to 17 style quality and rendering. 
it’s a shame that graphic quality can’t be separated and I understand your wanting to accommodate all specs. If I’m being honest it does mean that the game is serving the lowest common denominator and that, in turn, feels like steps forward (like this year) are diminished..

I guess when the transfer update comes in Feb I’ll have to update. I really hope the graphics aren’t too compromised. The thought of returning to the look of 20 on my iPad Pro aren’t at alll appetising.

thanks again.

Genuinely bummed out by the new update. The match engine the last few days had looked so unbelievably good on an older iPad like mine. Even with the higher graphics quality in the ME, I had zero performance issues in and out of game. 

Almost wishing that I’d never seen the potential of the graphic quality because it’s hard to get going with them game knowing it CAN look better. 

I haven’t updated yet...are the graphics perceptibly worse?

I don’t want to lose the shadows or see inferior player rendering. Small things I know but the match looking like 17 was a really good thing. And great point made by @ticcolo. When we see the potential and that’s downgraded by updates that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. esp considering how good the graphics looked in 17 and then we had to put up with a downgraded match look for 3 years. I really don’t know any other game which doesn’t improve graphics year on year. And actually makes them worse! 
it’s tough on SI because they want to make it available too as many people as possible. I just think the compromises that are made go against the grain of continual improvement