Are Player Ratings Harsher This Year?

7 hours ago, afailed10 said:

Ye started my save last night but my fb's were having low ratings so i dont feel like playing until this is sorted. Any info from the staff team on this subject? it impacts everything for me. 

I just went through the league player stats in my save and Key tackles are not being registered.

I believe this could be the reason for poor defender stats.

I'm so glad I found this thread it was driving me insane! It does seem to be a genuine issue. The game is unplayable for me in this state. Hopefully it will be fixed swiftly when they are back.

It does bring up the question of how this managed to get released like this.

Edited by TheGrimWombat
Typo

Yup, definitely have this issue. It's gotten slightly better as I've been promoted from conference south to league 2, so I thought it might have something to do with league reputation. My striker has 26 goals in 32 games in league 2 and his avg rating is a 7.19, and only have 4 players in my squad over a 7. I do think ratings in previous games were a tad bit exaggerated, but I think this is too far in the opposite direction.

After every game, I can discipline at least three players for playing bad even though I am playing good and win games.

It is getting frustrated, because the media is also pumping with questions about the poor form from my players, especially from my fullbacks.

On 28/12/2020 at 21:12, Os said:

I just went through the league player stats in my save and Key tackles are not being registered.

I believe this could be the reason for poor defender stats.

That's correct, few other stats aren't registered either.

The ratings are kinda useless at this point, it doesn't tell you anything because they are unreliable and it has side effects that players are seen as out of shape or not good enough when they actually aren't... really hope for a fast fix for this... because me as a player who's short on time I kinda "trust" the avg rating as I can't watch to much of the match itself... (key highlights)

On 29/12/2020 at 07:06, karanhsingh said:

Just read through this... sounds pretty bleak.

I have actually not yet played since the update and now not sure whether to!

Yeah, I wouldn’t bother. Stay on the old version if you can.

My plan was to spend my two week Christmas break playing FM (there’s not too much else to do right now!). But I’ve gone back to FM20 for now. FM21.2 broke the game for me. Won’t try it again until there’s a hotfix. But not holding out much hope that the game will be near playable before 21.3 with the amount of issues still live and the current time of year. 

21 hours ago, TheGrimWombat said:

I'm so glad I found this thread it was driving me insane! It does seem to be a genuine issue. The game is unplayable for me in this state. Hopefully it will be fixed swiftly when they are back.

It does bring up the question of how this managed to get released like this.

Completely agree. Very frustrating.

I swing back and forth between ‘ahh, but they’ll have faced COVID challenges’ and ‘the size of the studio has expanded and I still paid full price for a game that still isn’t retail-ready as of the 30th December.’

Has this issue been acknowledged by si at any point? Some stats literally not being recorded (tackling) seems like a big deal, no wonder ratings are all weird. My Wbs finish every other match with a shocking rating... Does disciplining them even makes sense at this point :seagull:?

2 hours ago, Shib0 said:

Has this issue been acknowledged by si at any point? Some stats literally not being recorded (tackling) seems like a big deal, no wonder ratings are all weird. My Wbs finish every other match with a shocking rating... Does disciplining them even makes sense at this point :seagull:?

Yes it has over on the bugs forum. It will take some time, as all of the developers are off for Holidays. I wouldn’t expect a particularly quick fix here.

seriously, this needs fixing ASAP. Development issues as well as getting slated constantly for transfers. I just brought on a sup for the last 30 minutes of a game, he bagged hattrick. Match rating? 8.4. So clearly an attacking issue, although defense and full-backs for sure still the major one. Only get rewarded for attacking, not for successfully defending

On 31/12/2020 at 12:13, Shib0 said:

Same here I'm saving up to buy Trent alexander-arnold with the money I'm getting fining my current full backs at 1860 munich

• 3 months later...
On 28/12/2020 at 14:12, tiotom92 said:

I have the best defence in the league (lowest goals conceded) yet my three starting CBs have bang average ratings, something is clearly not working.

I can relate to this. I have been using a successful back 3 tactic with a Libero with fewest goals conceded and most goals scored. My libero nearly always shows as 6.5-6.6 during the match with his final rating often improving suddenly to 6.7-6.8 at final whistle (a final smoothing adjustment under the hood?). My libero rarely gets a rating over 7 during the season with the placers in the other two DC roles always, always getting better ratings. Just wondering if libero role player rating calculation is unduly harsh re what is expected versus other DC roles. The low ratings the player gets when playing libero role have led to “press comments” suggesting his performances don’t justify him being picked for national team ... same player in other DC role would not have same issue as he would always be getting a higher match rating.

Edited by mhaffy

On 16/04/2021 at 18:55, mhaffy said:

I can relate to this. I have been using a successful back 3 tactic with a Libero with fewest goals conceded and most goals scored. My libero nearly always shows as 6.5-6.6 during the match with his final rating often improving suddenly to 6.7-6.8 at final whistle (a final smoothing adjustment under the hood?). My libero rarely gets a rating over 7 during the season with the placers in the other two DC roles always, always getting better ratings. Just wondering if libero role player rating calculation is unduly harsh re what is expected versus other DC roles. The low ratings the player gets when playing libero role have led to “press comments” suggesting his performances don’t justify him being picked for national team ... same player in other DC role would not have same issue as he would always be getting a higher match rating.

I think there's something off with the central defender in a back 3 regardless of role. They always score poorly despite solid performance. I've even checked the stats at the end of the game to see if they're misplacing passes but even with a 95% completion rate I don't seem to see them getting anything more than 6.7-6.8 unless they've scored or assisted despite clean sheets and limiting the opposition to a couple of shots.

If I’m not mistaken, I came across a post by @Neil Brock that said that the player ratings algorithm has been changed. It had within it something like “don’t expect the ratings to be like they’ve been over the years. The period for such is over”. 
I’m sure if you check his history you’d see the post. And he explained why it was changed. 

Edited by samuelawachie

4 hours ago, samuelawachie said:

If I’m not mistaken, I came across a post by @Neil Brock that said that the player ratings algorithm has been changed. It had within it something like “don’t expect the ratings to be like they’ve been over the years. The period for such is over”. 
I’m sure if you check his history you’d see the post. And he explained why it was changed. 

It’s affecting things like international call ups though. If you have a defender playing in a 3, his lower ratings means he’ll often struggle to get into international squads. Especially if you have other leagues/matches not in full detail where ratings are less brutal. 

5 hours ago, samuelawachie said:

I have indeed seen the post. I understand that the player ratings algorithm has been changed and that the new “average” is 6.7 but this doesn’t mean that the new algorithm is perfect and fairly balanced for all the different roles and formations. I did detailed testing on stats inconsistencies between full match engine and quick match engine and ratings imbalances will affect things like international call ups....

I'm having no issues this year (I didnt play much before the patches) nd I'm actually finding the ratings are more useful than previous years. The ratings actually align with the player roles rather than getting a high rating because a player scored or assisted.

Just played Carabao Cup match, as Chelsea, against Man City and their best performing player so far has be Kevin de Bruyne - has average rating in last 5 games of 8.10 and Premier League to date rating of 7.67. He was playing as a DLP and I decided to man mark him with Mason Mount my AMC (R) Advanced Playmaker. As always, i watched the match on comprehensive and Mount stuck to his task and nullified de Bruyne's influence on the game. We won 2-0 with de Bruyne getting a rating of 6.3. Mount though only achieved a rating of 6.5 despite doing a great job versus de Bruyne. Just wondered if new player rating algorithm takes man marking performances like this into account as, on the basis of watching this match, I feel Mount was hard done by. He clearly wasn't performing standard AP role, that the algorithm probably based his performance on, but did  exactly what I wanted of him and also made 4 key passes.....

Edited by mhaffy