How to make my 4-3-3 better?

Hello everyone!

Just had a few questions about how I could make the tactic I have been using for a while a little better. This is a tactic I made with a fair bit of help from people on this forum website which I was very grateful for, but after a few updates to the game the tactic seems to be seemingly less powerful. As you can see from the attached screenshots from when I first started using it, the Tottenham home game, it was pretty fantastic, but had a bit of a drop off at the end of last season and the start of the new one and has just been generally inconsistent recently for me on this save. I just want to see if anyone could see where I am going wrong with my tactic and if they've noticed anything in some of the most recent updates that they have found to be effective?

I've just attached a few screenshots of the results, the tactic itself of course and the squad of players I have also.

Thanks for reading and any advice or help you could be able to give :)

Screenshot (82).png

Screenshot (83).png

Screenshot (86).png

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (88).png

Screenshot (89).png

Overall there’s plenty of balance here in regards to roles and how they’re distributed on the pitch, so it comes down more to what you’re seeing and how you’re conceding goals, but here’s what stands out to me based on my tactical leaning:

- attacking mentality with a high line/loe is quite aggressive. With a 4-3-3 I prefer a split block, with my forward players pressing on transition to try to force the rushed pass out, but if that doesn’t work I don’t want to be so committed that I get constantly caught on the counter, especially playing an offside trap. I’d be very worried about my players taking too many risks on that mentality, losing possession and then the counter press being ineffective. Recipe for disaster.

- playing an attacking FB on the left with the mezzala also on that side of midfield likely creates an area that could be exposed via the above counter.

Personally id tone down the mentality, press more aggressively especially from the front 3 where I’d put pi’s to that effect to help, but with the reduced mentality the defensive line would drop and overall player mentality would become a touch more conservative, helping vs the counter. I’m not a fan of the offside trap either, especially if my defenders are quick and strong. 

Role considerations would then be made based on what I was seeing. With a mezzala on attack, a role I love, I’d be inclined to have supporting roles on both my lb and left winger to provide more cover for him to roam. If the mentality is toned down there’s probably no need to keep shorter passing and play out of defence it’s.

That’s my initial thoughts but it really depends on what you’re seeing in game. If you’re being done on the counter then the above could be useful to consider

3 hours ago, ReadingFan82 said:

Hello everyone!

Just had a few questions about how I could make the tactic I have been using for a while a little better. This is a tactic I made with a fair bit of help from people on this forum website which I was very grateful for, but after a few updates to the game the tactic seems to be seemingly less powerful. As you can see from the attached screenshots from when I first started using it, the Tottenham home game, it was pretty fantastic, but had a bit of a drop off at the end of last season and the start of the new one and has just been generally inconsistent recently for me on this save. I just want to see if anyone could see where I am going wrong with my tactic and if they've noticed anything in some of the most recent updates that they have found to be effective?

I've just attached a few screenshots of the results, the tactic itself of course and the squad of players I have also.

Thanks for reading and any advice or help you could be able to give :)

Screenshot (82).png

Screenshot (83).png

Screenshot (86).png

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (88).png

Screenshot (89).png

Roles: Left FB to IWBs(another backwards passing option behind mez, iw and a forward passing option for DLPd. I think playmaker needs more options when they are on the ball.

Right FB to any attacking role (IFA can only get the right kind of support when the ball is in the final third or with a direct ball to him when you are against a mid or high press in this set-up. He gets another early support option using an attacking fb during transitions, which will hep with overloads there.

I agree with bowie in that your mentality has many risks and I think you are trying to play a possession game. So toning down to balanced mentality could make your attacks better with this kind of role-duty distribution. 

Traits are also in this kind of system make sure at least one player has the trait of likes to switch ball to other flank in the midfield.

When playing a short passing game, I benefited from narrower width, which also help create more space on the flanks in this kind of system.

Counterpress+ upper-medium block with attacking mentality might make your defence more vulnerable than it should be. So if you don't tone down your mentality, I'd think about them. 

Edited by frukox

@bowieinspace

@frukox

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I've had a bit of a play around with what you guys have been suggesting and this is what I have came up with so far. You can't see it on the instructions obviously but I've put the 3 forward players to press more individually as to not try and get caught out so much in midfield. Let me know what you think :) 

Screenshot (90).png

BBM will roam a lot so not a reliable option for covering WBA runs there MEZA will create space in the middle by moving to left half-space so an ideal place for a DLPs there. He will have so many passing options. Now your right flank is vulnerable so to protect the middle from counterattacks, I strongly advise you to decrease your defensive width and turn DLPD into a simple anchorman and consider increasing your pressing urgency by one or two notches as well activating offside trap if you trust your CBS mentals and physicals.

In your first tactic, the left flank was poorly balanced. Now in the second tactic, the right flank looks problematic to me. Because in both cases, proper midfield cover for the attacking fullback is lacking. 

Btw, I'm wondering what's the exact reason for the narrow attacking width in the second tactic as well as wide in the first one. It looks as though you are making tactical decisions on a random basis (as opposed to having a clear plan and strategy). 

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

In your first tactic, the left flank was poorly balanced. Now in the second tactic, the right flank looks problematic to me. Because in both cases, proper midfield cover for the attacking fullback is lacking. 

Btw, I'm wondering what's the exact reason for the narrow attacking width in the second tactic as well as wide in the first one. It looks as though you are making tactical decisions on a random basis (as opposed to having a clear plan and strategy). 

Would agree here... as per my first post I think it’s important to get some info on what you’re looking to achieve, how you want your team to play and also what you’re seeing in game in regards to conceding goals in particular. The best we can do is make assumptions otherwise. 

Have a watch in game at the IF attack and see what you want from him. I’ve found that role to be problematic in the 433, as getting him the appropriate support is a nightmare - mine ended up not doing much apart from attacking far post crosses. It looks like you’ve had the same problem and tried to resolve with WB Att and BBM. Problem is, this leaves your right side pretty open. 

I use something similar in my current system, and use an IW S with a CM S and WB A and it gives some lovely triangles resulting in acres of space for the WB to pick his target, while the IW has the freedom of the pitch often to link place and attack the box.