[FM18] tactical help appreciated

firstly if this is in the wrong place i apoologise

Now...i have always used plug and play as I don't enjoy making and tweaking tactics, which the last 2 days of frustration and anger have confirmed.

The plug and play tactic i have used on pretty much every save has stopped working...no idea why. dominated league 2 and 1 then jumped to Derby in championship and the chance creation seemed to dry up. jumped to Reading in Prem and it has got worse.

The tactic im using is a 3-4-3 with wing backs kind of set up that worked that well i won the Prem with Newcastle in second season with very few signings.

i am now trying the tactic in screen shots.

lots of possession.
virtually no CCC
of 12 shots 11 will be long shots.
goals conceded are balls over the top...

again creating and tweaking tactics isn't what  normally do.

any constructive feedback would be welcome.

thanks guys

Reading_  Overview-2.png

Reading_  Overview-3.png

3 hours ago, Bonas85 said:

lots of possession.
virtually no CCC

Some quick thoughts:

• No Attack Duties (no one making early forward runs)
  • As much as 8 players attempting Risky Passes, but with nobody making aggressive forward runs, there's no targets for those passes
  • Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Work Ball Into Box, Dribble Less all encouraging a very possession-heavy style

Seems right on point with your observations. Your systems seems like it would produce endless passes, but in non-threatening areas.

Also worth noting is that Playmakers are ball-magnets, meaning the more of them you have, the more possession-heavy you could end up being (players can ignore better options in favour of passing to them). DLP and AP are generally okay, but who do you envision them passing to? IFs on Support won't run at defence before receiving the ball, F9 will drop deep into midfield and there's no one attacking space from behind either, so they both probably end up making tons of easy passes instead of unlocking defences.

Some potential tweaks:

F9

IF-At                                   W-Su

DLP-Su CM-At

HB

WB-Su CD-De BPD-De IWB-Su

SK-De

Control, Flexible, Higher Defensive Line, Play Out Of Defence, Shorter Passing

That would be my starting point, assuming you want a possession-oriented 4-3-3.