[FM20] The Hometown Heroes

Feliks

205px-Adelaide_United_FC_logo.svg.png

I went and watched an Adelaide United game today, and it reinvigorated something in me.

The team I truly follow is Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League, the nearest team to where I was born, but Adelaide United has always had a place in my heart as the team of my adoptive home town. As I watched the Reds battle to a 2-0 victory, I had a sense of civic pride, with so many United players also raised in the fair city of Adelaide, whether having been born here like captain Stefan Mauk and stalwart Michael Marrone, or having moved here from abroad like Ryan Strain or the brilliant Toure brothers.

In FM15, I had an extremely long term save with Adelaide United where I successfully built an entirely homegrown side that dominated the A-League and the Asian Champions League over the course of 50 years. Every single player I signed in this save, whether via transfer, loan or from my youth academy, was born in the state of South Australia. It was genuinely one of the funnest saves I ever did on Football Manager, and having watched the Reds live in action for the first time in a year, I'm keen to do it again.

Aim

To become the dominant team in Asia using solely players who call Adelaide, and South Australia in general, home

Rules

- I can only sign players who were born in South Australia, or who were born overseas but grew up in South Australia. I eased the restriction on place of birth largely in part to Adelaide United's long history of developing exciting refugee players from East Africa, such as Awer Mabil and Bruce Kamau.

- I do not have to immediately sell all players who do not meet these criteria but I cannot renew their contracts

- I will strive to be realistic when it comes to offers for my players from European clubs - it is extremely rare that an A-League club will block any player from moving to Europe in real life

This is a save that I anticipate will become quite personally involving for me, I do love the city I live in and I want to see the club succeed. Hopefully I can get off on the right foot in the first season.