Özil at Arsenal or any team

@Experienced Defender is obviously right that the whole tactic matters and not just Ozil's role, but there was a thread started for fm2p and slightly carried on to fm21 that was all about getting thr best of ozil. Should be able to find it a few pages back on this forum.

There, he was found effective as a RPM in the midfield strata in a 4411.

I played him as an AP in the AmC slot in his final year on my save and he was decent - not great, not worth the money, but fine.

I had the idea, which I probably won't attempt, of converting him to a regista. Saw someone else do this with a 35yo Newmar and he went bonkers. Sort of the late Pirlo approach

I created a thread documenting my experience trying to get the most out of Ozil here:

I have been a little sidetracked/busy to play through the FM21 season though. The busted stats and analytical side of the game has put a dent on providing any sort of feedback and information. 

59 minutes ago, saltoalex said:

@Experienced Defender

https://ibb.co/0Bn8rHT
https://ibb.co/wQBXnys

i know i'll have a lot of mistakes in my tactics, but we are here to learn. 

I would like to use some young players like Smith Rowe, Nelson, Saka or Martinelli, but a lot of players are just unmarketable

No need for using asymmetric formations. A regular 4231 can suit Arsenal quite nicely. 

Anyway, here is how I would set up a starting 4231 tactic for Arsenal with Ozil within it:

PFat

IFsu         TQ(Ozil)        IWsu

BWMsu  CMde

WBsu   CDde  CDde  FBat

GK/SKde

Positive - play out of defence & shorter passing - distribute quickly & counter-press - higher D-line, standard LOE & split block

That's a tactic I would start with. 

Reasoning behind the roles and duties

- TQ role for Ozil as it suits him perfectly IMHO

- Once I gave Ozil the role I believe would optimally suit him, other roles are selected in such a way as to both optimally interact with his role and suit players playing them

- No doubt that Laca can play a creator role such as CF or DLF or F9, but given that he already has another creator role (TQ) right behind himself, I did not see a need to have 2 creator roles in such close proximity (hence simple PF on attack duty)

- Likewise, Auba in AML would absolutely make sense as an IF on attack duty when viewed in isolation, but giving him attack duty could make him and Laca competing for space and influence up front, which is why I decided to play him as IF on support (plus. support duty will make him more defensively responsible, whereas the IF role preserves his primarily attack-minded nature)

- Pepe in AMR remains IW on support, but the CM behind him is now changed into a holding role in order to provide defensive cover for the naturally overlapping FB on attack on that flank as well as help recycle possession in the midfield when necessary (alternatively, CM on defend could be switched to a DLP on defend, but another playmaker would somewhat reduce Ozil's playmaking influence, which I assume you wouldn't want)

- FB on attack duty on the right flank has been just mentioned and largely explained + having someone to make (natural) overlaps and deliver occasional crosses for your forwards - especially when you have as many as 4 players up front - can be helpful to break the "monotony" of an otherwise possession-based football

- On the left side, all 3 players have support duties, but in a "perfect" balance thanks to their roles (Auba/IF is already explained, WB on support is there to provide him with proper support in the final third and BWM on support as defensive cover for the attack-minded fullback)

I didn't like Ozil as a Treq. He doesn't have the physicals to get around the pitch, and doesn't have the finishing to make the most of the goal scoring nature of the treq role.

In my save, he was most productive as an attacking AP.

hace 3 horas, Big Yellow dijo:

I created a thread documenting my experience trying to get the most out of Ozil here:

I have been a little sidetracked/busy to play through the FM21 season though. The busted stats and analytical side of the game has put a dent on providing any sort of feedback and information. 

wow, i really enjoyed reading your post, very interesting and it became an absolute success. I will use him as a RPM, we'll see! Thank you.

hace 10 horas, Experienced Defender dijo:

No need for using asymmetric formations. A regular 4231 can suit Arsenal quite nicely. 

Anyway, here is how I would set up a starting 4231 tactic for Arsenal with Ozil within it:

PFat

IFsu         TQ(Ozil)        IWsu

BWMsu  CMde

WBsu   CDde  CDde  FBat

GK/SKde

Positive - play out of defence & shorter passing - distribute quickly & counter-press - higher D-line, standard LOE & split block

That's a tactic I would start with. 

Reasoning behind the roles and duties

- TQ role for Ozil as it suits him perfectly IMHO

- Once I gave Ozil the role I believe would optimally suit him, other roles are selected in such a way as to both optimally interact with his role and suit players playing them

- No doubt that Laca can play a creator role such as CF or DLF or F9, but given that he already has another creator role (TQ) right behind himself, I did not see a need to have 2 creator roles in such close proximity (hence simple PF on attack duty)

- Likewise, Auba in AML would absolutely make sense as an IF on attack duty when viewed in isolation, but giving him attack duty could make him and Laca competing for space and influence up front, which is why I decided to play him as IF on support (plus. support duty will make him more defensively responsible, whereas the IF role preserves his primarily attack-minded nature)

- Pepe in AMR remains IW on support, but the CM behind him is now changed into a holding role in order to provide defensive cover for the naturally overlapping FB on attack on that flank as well as help recycle possession in the midfield when necessary (alternatively, CM on defend could be switched to a DLP on defend, but another playmaker would somewhat reduce Ozil's playmaking influence, which I assume you wouldn't want)

- FB on attack duty on the right flank has been just mentioned and largely explained + having someone to make (natural) overlaps and deliver occasional crosses for your forwards - especially when you have as many as 4 players up front - can be helpful to break the "monotony" of an otherwise possession-based football

- On the left side, all 3 players have support duties, but in a "perfect" balance thanks to their roles (Auba/IF is already explained, WB on support is there to provide him with proper support in the final third and BWM on support as defensive cover for the attack-minded fullback)

Thank you so much for your explanation, i will spend some time working on it and lloking for the best enviroment for him!