Promise to develop youth players

Hi guys, I'm confused about a certain promise I have made to the team which seems to backfire to me soon during a critical phase of the season. I am playing as Valencia in my 5th season and have sold my star striker during the winter break to Man City:

spacer.png

As expected a part of the team became unhappy for selling him. I did this however because I had a VERY good talent playing on loan elsewhere who I wanted to include in my first team:

spacer.png

So as a response, I recalled this guy and made a promise to the team that I would play youth and develop them for this striker spot. In addition to above talent I also had Andrés Garcia as 2nd striker who is young and talented, so this made sense to do:

spacer.png

Now fast forward to end of April, entering the finale phase of the season. I'm still competing for the Liga title and also in semi-finals of the champions league. I also won the Spanish Cup during this time.

My strikers now look like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Garrido in particular has developed his stats greatly, while Garcia has also improved somewhat. In addition both strikers have performed very well. Garrido has scored 20 goals since coming back from loan and Garcia has been massive as well, with 9 ! goals in the last 5 games and 23 goals in 24 games total.

My star player and team captain however is:

spacer.png

I have 23 days left to fulfil this promise, which is earlier than the final decisive games for La Liga where I'm currently toe-to-toe with Real Madrid. I cannot deal with potential complaints and drop of morale during these final games. So am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

This is historically a promise that is fraught with difficulties when you make it because it is impossible to quantify and know if you are getting it right.  I would suggest that success on the pitch will overrule this players unhappiness, so ride it out.

11 hours ago, FrazT said:

This is historically a promise that is fraught with difficulties when you make it because it is impossible to quantify and know if you are getting it right.  I would suggest that success on the pitch will overrule this players unhappiness, so ride it out.

That's not really an answers, is it? He was going to try and win games anyway. It's impossible to quantify in theory, but the game quantifies it somehow and we should have an idea of how.

I've had this exact problem, with Valencia too funnily enough. I had youth development as an objective in club vision, and also made the youth development promise to my captain Gayà. The board was ecstatic with the results, awarding me a perfect score in that particular issue, but Gayà was having none of it and counted the promise as not fulfilled. I realize the game tries to convey that different actors in the game can have different opinions, but that's like they were living in different realities.

Even if there's nothing bugged here (doubt), we should at the very least have an explanation of the inner workings of these kind of promises.

My best presumption on this based on experience of other "similar" mechanics would be an under 21 player that didnt originally have "Regular Starter" status or higher, has now been increased to that status from a lesser one. Recalling a guy out on loan that was already on "Regular Starter" probably doesn't meet the criteria. On top of the that, the player would need to be "natural" in the same position as the player sold.

9 hours ago, Renyy said:

Does this promise reduce playtime demands from the important and star players on the team? 

I wouldnt have thought so. You still need to keep them happy and them reducing their playing time demands is very unlikely.