[FM] A Complete Guide to Mentality

What is your view on changing mentality during games according to situation though.  Do you keep the same mentality throughout or change based on what's happening in game, or is this simply a starting point?

3 minutes ago, Aquaplex said:

Incredible read, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.  :)

Cheers mate, glad you like it!

Just now, Aquaplex said:

What is your view on changing mentality during games according to situation though.  Do you keep the same mentality throughout or change based on what's happening in game, or is this simply a starting point?

Defining the start point will allow you to know what and when to change. I am usually on positive as my play style is similar to the one in the example. For instance, against weaker teams, I might go on balanced or cautious and push the DL and LOE forward to normal (to balance the drop in mentality) in order to retain the ball more.

Good read, I like the point on selecting a mentality for a desired attacking style and using contrasting instructions to create a specific style of play. I'm interested to know if you have had any success with high pressing/possession based tactics using lower mentalities since most of the time when you see those they're done with balanced mentality or higher, as I think the main worry is that you end up with possession for possession's sake rather than possession with intent to create chances.

27 minutes ago, wixxi said:

Good read, I like the point on selecting a mentality for a desired attacking style and using contrasting instructions to create a specific style of play. I'm interested to know if you have had any success with high pressing/possession based tactics using lower mentalities since most of the time when you see those they're done with balanced mentality or higher, as I think the main worry is that you end up with possession for possession's sake rather than possession with intent to create chances.

Thank you!

I did not try this kind of systems for long periods, since it is not my cup of tea. I prefer more Atletico style. I remember doing ot once on FM15 which was very successful.

At any case, given the right roles, you could certainly pull it off. You need technical playmakers and good movement around them. On a cautious mentality, players with attack duty will do the damage, so I believe it will be heavily reliant on your roles and duties distribution.

As I was reading the post I was thinking about the original tiki taka style and if you would use aggressive mentality and adjust with TIs or the other way around, and gladly we share the same thought.

A good, simple rule of thumb I use is that usually for possession based systems a balanced or lower mentality will do just fine as players will patiently wait for the right opportunity to break, which is the opposite of what an aggressive mentality stands for.

However, in some cases like Atlético's style I could go in both directions. Simeone's style focuses primarily on defensive solidity and their attacking processes are quite basic (compared to other top teams). Something like a Defensive mentality with attacking duties on advanced players could possibly be an option too.

Edited by kingjericho

8 hours ago, kingjericho said:

As I was reading the post I was thinking about the original tiki taka style and if you would use aggressive mentality and adjust with TIs or the other way around, and gladly we share the same thought.

A good, simple rule of thumb I use is that usually for possession based systems a balanced or lower mentality will do just fine as players will patiently wait for the right opportunity to break, which is the opposite of what an aggressive mentality stands for.

However, in some cases like Atlético's style I could go in both directions. Simeone's style focuses primarily on defensive solidity and their attacking processes are quite basic (compared to other top teams). Something like a Defensive mentality with attacking duties on advanced players could possibly be an option too.

It is nice to share the same thought process :thup:

Sure Atleti style could be done on lower mentalities, but they are, more often than not, quite aggressive with their attacks, with no intention to hold the ball. Thats why I prefer the positive mentality for such style.

I am actually inspired to create a backup tactic in the cautious counter style, that keeps hold of the ball, similar to example 2 in the article.

This is a fantastic write-up, you've done a great job detailing differences between playing styles. :thup:

Definitely covers most of the problems people tend to experience when creating counter-attacking systems. I'd say the "direct attacking deep block" is what most probably want, but end up getting dragged into low-risk Mentalities thinking it's the only way to be defensively solid.

Awesome post :thup: I really like the idea of almost separating the attacking/defensive mentality. The more I think about it, the better this represents some of the most famous systems.

Pep's Barca - aggressive defending to win the ball back, but relatively cautious attack (focused on retaining possession) 

Klopp / Gegenpress - aggressive attacks and aggressive defence 

Alex Ferguson's United - aggressive, quick attacks but a more cautious defence/press

Edited by Manutd1999

3 hours ago, dannyfc said:

Love these posts, top work.

Be interested to read your insights on Tempo, and whether you ever change it independently of mentality.

Thank you :)

I don't really dabble too much into tempo. When I do, I push it one tick down to retain possession more, or one tick up to quickly exploit spaces behind ultra aggressive teams (such as attacking 424).

2 hours ago, Zemahh said:

This is a fantastic write-up, you've done a great job detailing differences between playing styles. :thup:

Definitely covers most of the problems people tend to experience when creating counter-attacking systems. I'd say the "direct attacking deep block" is what most probably want, but end up getting dragged into low-risk Mentalities thinking it's the only way to be defensively solid.

Thank you! :)

I full agree, and that is why I wanted to show the differences between them. I like to differentiate between these two styles as "counter attacking / quick transitions" (like example 1) and "playing on the counter" (like example 2). Once you decide that your team is attacking in its intent, it becomes simple to create that style of play.

2 hours ago, Manutd1999 said:

Awesome post :thup: I really like the idea of almost separating the attacking/defensive mentality separately. The more I think about it, the better this represents some of the most famous systems.

Pep's Barca - aggressive defending to win the ball back, but relatively cautious attack (focused on retaining possession) 

Klopp / Gegenpress - aggressive attacks and aggressive defence 

Alex Ferguson's United - aggressive, quick attacks but a more cautious defence/press

Thank you! :)

I find that this structure of thinking makes it very easy to create any style, and helps in the long run, as you know exactly what you can change and tweak, and what effects these tweaks will have.

Ty for a great post @engamohd, as someone that admittedly struggles to get their head around team mentality informative writing has been greatly appreciated. I'm gonna quickly summarised some of the key points to check that I've understood correctly

1. Mentality is basically a risk modifier, it affects certain Team Instructions causing more risky behaviour (more urgent closing down) or causing less risky behaviour (shorter passing)
  2. As per your recommendation, it's best to decide if you want a risky or less risky attacking style if you want to work out what team mentality to choose for your system
  3. You can then use Team Instructions as an extra layer on top of team mentality, almost like an eraser for unwanted instructions team mentality has given

This guide reminds me of a FM17 thread by Ozil to the Arsenal. He walked us through his thought process when creating a Bielsa tactic and used only a few team instructions because he knew how to make the team mentality work in his favour. I never quite understood what he meant at the time but hopefully after reading this thread I can

7 hours ago, coach vahid said:

Great post. :applause:

Simple but very instructive. 

You have to explain the duties now.. 

Thank you! Am preparing a new part in the series ;)

6 hours ago, camoulton21 said:

Ty for a great post @engamohd, as someone that admittedly struggles to get their head around team mentality informative writing has been greatly appreciated. I'm gonna quickly summarised some of the key points to check that I've understood correctly

1. Mentality is basically a risk modifier, it affects certain Team Instructions causing more risky behaviour (more urgent closing down) or causing less risky behaviour (shorter passing)
  2. As per your recommendation, it's best to decide if you want a risky or less risky attacking style if you want to work out what team mentality to choose for your system
  3. You can then use Team Instructions as an extra layer on top of team mentality, almost like an eraser for unwanted instructions team mentality has given

This guide reminds me of a FM17 thread by Ozil to the Arsenal. He walked us through his thought process when creating a Bielsa tactic and used only a few team instructions because he knew how to make the team mentality work in his favour. I never quite understood what he meant at the time but hopefully after reading this thread I can

Thank you! I am glad it is of help.

1. Yes mentality can be seen as a risk modifier, affecting also affecting certain TIs and PIs.

2. Yes, that is the way I see the game.

3. Exactly. That layer of TIs could either balance out or emphasize the style set by mentality

Ozil to the Arsenal created some really great threads, I remember loving the Wales one before I join the forums. Comparing this thread to OttA great threads is flattering, thank you!

Your post came just in time because I was try to work out a style where I was aggressive in defense, but ball possession in attack. So I used your third example to setup my tactic and it works like a dream.

Now to my question. So my Mentality is Cautious as you recommend. That is my standard.

So do I adjust for weaker and stronger opponents or just leave mentality alone?

Example, my next game is against a much weaker opponent. I am way the favorite. Normally I would just adjust my Mentality to Positive or Attacking. I am worried though that this will mess up my tactic and end up with players hoofing the ball.

Should I adjust Mentality?

If I do not adjust Mentality what do I adjust?

2 minutes ago, Herolover said:

Your post came just in time because I was try to work out a style where I was aggressive in defense, but ball possession in attack. So I used your third example to setup my tactic and it works like a dream.

Could you share what you came up with? I was thinking of setting something up similar, but couldn't get around to do it. 

29 minutes ago, Herolover said:

Now to my question. So my Mentality is Cautious as you recommend. That is my standard.

So do I adjust for weaker and stronger opponents or just leave mentality alone?

Example, my next game is against a much weaker opponent. I am way the favorite. Normally I would just adjust my Mentality to Positive or Attacking. I am worried though that this will mess up my tactic and end up with players hoofing the ball.

Should I adjust Mentality?

If I do not adjust Mentality what do I adjust?

It will all depend on how you want to use possession. My example was based around patient possession, focusing on holding the ball with no urgent attacking intent.

If that is how you want to play then you could (while watching the game carefully) increase the mentality to Balanced while decreasing passing length, tempo and dribbles. You could pull the LOE and DL one tick down to compensate the increase in mentality.

If you are looking to hold the ball aggressively with attacking intent, you could go on Positive, while decreasing tempo, passing and dribbles.

You also need to consider the effect of mentality change on the roles. A CM-S will surge into the box often on Positive, but not on Cautious. So if you need him to have the same behaviour on Cautious you need to give him an attack duty.

On 10/01/2021 at 19:39, engamohd said:
Passing Directness

On more attacking mentalities:

deeper players will pass shorter, to hold possession and feed the advanced attackers.

advanced players will pass more direct, to stretch the opponent and penetrate quickly.

On more defensive mentalities, it is the other way round:

deeper players will pass more direct, to exploit space behind opponents, and to get the ball away from the goal.

advanced players will pass shorter, to retain possession, and avoid needless turnover in possession.

Although this seems logical, it is completely new to me. If this is how it works, it may explain some of my frustration when the players are not doing what I want.

Great post, thank you!

On 10/01/2021 at 19:39, engamohd said:

Passing Directness

On more attacking mentalities:

deeper players will pass shorter, to hold possession and feed the advanced attackers.

advanced players will pass more direct, to stretch the opponent and penetrate quickly.

On more defensive mentalities, it is the other way round:

deeper players will pass more direct, to exploit space behind opponents, and to get the ball away from the goal.

advanced players will pass shorter, to retain possession, and avoid needless turnover in possession.

Can you confirm that this is 100% the case in FM21? I remember clearly that this was the case in older FMs, this effect was visible on the Player Instructions panel, for example in FM17. But now, when looking at the PIs, while changing mentalities, this effect is not visible. So there are 2 cases: either the UI for this is flawed (at least it was more straightforward in older FMs) or this effect does not apply anymore.

I'm not sure it is the case, at least not entirely.

A CB, for example, on more defensive mentalities will have shorter passing but on attacking mentalities this becomes standard (ie: inherit whatever the default directness for mentality is: Slightly More Direct in the case of Attacking). Fullbacks are the same.

2 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

I'm not sure it is the case, at least not entirely.

A CB, for example, on more defensive mentalities will have shorter passing but on attacking mentalities this becomes standard (ie: inherit whatever the default directness for mentality is: Slightly More Direct in the case of Attacking). Fullbacks are the same.

2 hours ago, cocoadavid said:

Can you confirm that this is 100% the case in FM21? I remember clearly that this was the case in older FMs, this effect was visible on the Player Instructions panel, for example in FM17. But now, when looking at the PIs, while changing mentalities, this effect is not visible. So there are 2 cases: either the UI for this is flawed (at least it was more straightforward in older FMs) or this effect does not apply anymore.

It is literally written in the Mentality description:

Positive:

TEjJ0xA.jpg

Cautious:

CDF3HVc.jpg

Defensive:

uUv5RcU.jpeg

Attacking:

OWDP9GH.jpeg

I personally believe that this passing behaviour is more related to risk for reasons stated above.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2021 at 08:11, engamohd said:

It is literally written in the Mentality description

Unfortunately, how much can we trust the in-game descriptions for any number of features of the tactical creator? Those descriptions are practically word-for-word as they were in FM12 (the version I have by far the most hours in). On one hand perhaps that indicates that SI have had a consistent vision for the last decade. However, it has always been very ambiguous what different options are written to do vs. coded to do. That has been my biggest reason for lurking these forums for years: to find out from the handful of knowledgeable posters with connections to SI devs how different buttons and sliders function.

Mentality in particular seems to have been a perpetual source of angst and debate among the community for years. I think that this thread is wonderful in particular for pushing the conversation in the direction of interpreting the mentality options more along the spectrum of Aggressive vs. Cautious. If they were labeled that way in-game, perhaps there would be fewer problematic assumptions among casual players about how/why to use mentality. (There has obviously been a big change in this direction from "Control" and "Counter" to "Positive" and "Cautious".) But the UI should really be much less opaque and clearly indicate to the player what collective and individual behavior changes are linked to what settings. For example: the "Attacking" blurb refers to creative freedom, and there is a team instruction for (more or less) Creative Freedom as well; the Player Instructions screen refers to Freedom of Movement and Passing Risk, but there is no clear and explicit relationship drawn between these two sections of the UI. Is "Be More Expressive" a situational toggle to Roam from Position and Take More Risks? The blurb for Be More Expressive says it allows "more creative players" the freedom -- which ones are those? Is it a universal function of Decisions + Flair? Is it only for certain roles? Is it only for certain positions? It's a disaster of vague writing.

Your breakdown of the balancing act between mentality and team instructions is especially illuminating in this regard. (As was your recent guide to quick transitions/counter-attacking, with its discussion of "style negating" and "style reinforcing" instructions.) 

Edited by Prolix

On 02/02/2021 at 18:16, Prolix said:

Unfortunately, how much can we trust the in-game descriptions for any number of features of the tactical creator? Those descriptions are practically word-for-word as they were in FM12 (the version I have by far the most hours in). On one hand perhaps that indicates that SI have had a consistent vision for the last decade. However, it has always been very ambiguous what different options are written to do vs. coded to do. That has been my biggest reason for lurking these forums for years: to find out from the handful of knowledgeable posters with connections to SI devs how different buttons and sliders function.

Mentality in particular seems to have been a perpetual source of angst and debate among the community for years. I think that this thread is wonderful in particular for pushing the conversation in the direction of interpreting the mentality options more along the spectrum of Aggressive vs. Cautious. If they were labeled that way in-game, perhaps there would be fewer problematic assumptions among casual players about how/why to use mentality. (There has obviously been a big change in this direction from "Control" and "Counter" to "Positive" and "Cautious".) But the UI should really be much less opaque and clearly indicate to the player what collective and individual behavior changes are linked to what settings. For example: the "Attacking" blurb refers to creative freedom, and there is a team instruction for (more or less) Creative Freedom as well; the Player Instructions screen refers to Freedom of Movement and Passing Risk, but there is no clear and explicit relationship drawn between these two sections of the UI. Is "Be More Expressive" a situational toggle to Roam from Position and Take More Risks? The blurb for Be More Expressive says it allows "more creative players" the freedom -- which ones are those? Is it a universal function of Decisions + Flair? Is it only for certain roles? Is it only for certain positions? It's a disaster of vague writing.

Your breakdown of the balancing act between mentality and team instructions is especially illuminating in this regard. (As was your recent guide to quick transitions/counter-attacking, with its discussion of "style negating" and "style reinforcing" instructions.) 

I fully agree, this is one part I'd love to see SI do a complete overhaul. We need to see what each options does to the team. In its current state it is a cause of a lot of confusion.

Thank you, I am glad you found my articles useful! :)

Oh my life, I'm in 2039 and - despite scouring all the forums for as many tips as I can find (Strikerless, Direct The Game, SI Forums), and though I occasionally stumble across the sort of one-touch short passing stuff I like for a few games, it all too often descends into unsuitably boring direct stuff no matter how far to the lef the slider is for shortest passing or lowest tempo. I've set it to Cautios mentality and the world of one-touch tiki-taka has finally been opened to my technically very gifted squad, thankyou SO MUCH for your write up and helpful points. I know that tempo is a bit misleding in the game, but I just didn't twig that a Catious *mentality* not tempo could be the key to unlock that particular door. I'm obviously a bit blind and inflexible to have not cottoned on before, but thankyou very much for helping that particular penny drop 😂

I think I was too obssessed with Attacking mentality due to the description of it giving creative freedom to my players - something I put a lot of value in - but it seems they still interchangably dance and pivot variously and sporadically even with a Cautious mentality. If only the game actually gave us full, precise and specific descriptions of its many nuanced variables like mentality, tempo, et al... 🙄

4 hours ago, alaugharne said:

Oh my life, I'm in 2039 and - despite scouring all the forums for as many tips as I can find (Strikerless, Direct The Game, SI Forums), and though I occasionally stumble across the sort of one-touch short passing stuff I like for a few games, it all too often descends into unsuitably boring direct stuff no matter how far to the lef the slider is for shortest passing or lowest tempo. I've set it to Cautios mentality and the world of one-touch tiki-taka has finally been opened to my technically very gifted squad, thankyou SO MUCH for your write up and helpful points. I know that tempo is a bit misleding in the game, but I just didn't twig that a Catious *mentality* not tempo could be the key to unlock that particular door. I'm obviously a bit blind and inflexible to have not cottoned on before, but thankyou very much for helping that particular penny drop 😂

Cheers mate, I am glad it is working for you better now!

What are your thoughts on the Positive mentality to add a bit more colour to the play perhaps? Edit: ignore, I could just read more of your post 😂

Edited by Guest

On 11/01/2021 at 02:39, engamohd said:

More attacking mentalities allow the players to roam from position in a bid to allow more creative movement. More defensive mentalities instruct the players to stick to positions and be more conservative, to avoid being caught out of possession.

Mentality does not do that, it affects creative freedom that is true, but it does not automatically add roam from position or stick to position. There is also team mentality and individual mentality each of which is affected by other things like specific team instructions and duties.

Mentality is essentially a risk modifier that affects, width, passing directness, tempo, LOE and DL. The higher your mentality the more risk your players are willing to take in these specific areas of the game.

On 11/01/2021 at 02:39, engamohd said:

Again not entirely true as well, because deeper players can be influenced into different passing styles by their roles specifically, so a general statement like this makes it sound like a rule than a guide. On attacking mentalities defenders can also take more risks at moving the ball forward quickly because they are willing to take bigger risks with ball distribution. 

30 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Again not entirely true as well, because deeper players can be influenced into different passing styles by their roles specifically, so a general statement like this makes it sound like a rule than a guide. On attacking mentalities defenders can also take more risks at moving the ball forward quickly because they are willing to take bigger risks with ball distribution. 

As an official moderator then, can you give a definitive guide to what tempo, mentality, time wasting, et al. actually mean / affect?

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Mentality does not do that, it affects creative freedom that is true, but it does not automatically add roam from position or stick to position. There is also team mentality and individual mentality each of which is affected by other things like specific team instructions and duties.

I fully agree there, I don't mean it adds those instructions in a similar way like PIs or TIs, but what I mean is that these aspects are affected. Roles, PIs and TIs have much influence on these aspects as well. I will edit the OP to make it more clear.

Thanks for your valuable input!

36 minutes ago, engamohd said:

I fully agree there, I don't mean it adds those instructions in a similar way like PIs or TIs, but what I mean is that these aspects are affected. Roles, PIs and TIs have much influence on these aspects as well. I will edit the OP to make it more clear.

Thanks for your valuable input!

To be even more clear, a Libero will always take more passing risks on whatever mentality. However, these risks is less when on defensive and will be more on attacking. On defensive, you may see him clear the ball more when face with pressure rather than play from the back on attacking. At the end, roles, TIs, and PIs have a lot of say of how a player plays in addition to mentality.

4 hours ago, alaugharne said:

As an official moderator then, can you give a definitive guide to what tempo, mentality, time wasting, et al. actually mean / affect?

I think some of the TIs such as time wasting are pretty self explanatory but I would recommend looking through a few of  @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s threads over the years as he does a great job of explaining the tactical creator in quite a simple way to understand. You can ignore some of the stuff on team shape since that mechanic was removed from the game (which I don't personally think was a good thing, but I think it was done because many people struggled to understand how it works).

2 hours ago, wixxi said:

I think some of the TIs such as time wasting are pretty self explanatory but I would recommend looking through a few of  @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s threads over the years as he does a great job of explaining the tactical creator in quite a simple way to understand. You can ignore some of the stuff on team shape since that mechanic was removed from the game (which I don't personally think was a good thing, but I think it was done because many people struggled to understand how it works).

I disagree, especially on time wasting there seems to be disagreement, and I've looked through all of OttA's posts but there are conflicting opinions, and his posts are only his (opinions). The only thing there doesn't seem to be is an official response from SI, that's why I asked.

50 minutes ago, alaugharne said:

I disagree, especially on time wasting there seems to be disagreement, and I've looked through all of OttA's posts but there are conflicting opinions, and his posts are only his (opinions). The only thing there doesn't seem to be is an official response from SI, that's why I asked.

The online manual has a bit more explanation for team instructions than the in-game ones but Rashidi has already explained mentality as well as this thread doing a good job of it, and mentality is one of the main factors in a tactic since it affects so many instructions + sets a baseline for individual player mentality. If you don't want to take other people's opinions on the matter then you could just tinker with some settings yourself in FM touch, I doubt that SI are going to fully explain the exact impact of every single instruction since they don't function independently anyway.

Edited by wixxi

12 hours ago, wixxi said:

The online manual has a bit more explanation for team instructions than the in-game ones but Rashidi has already explained mentality as well as this thread doing a good job of it, and mentality is one of the main factors in a tactic since it affects so many instructions + sets a baseline for individual player mentality. If you don't want to take other people's opinions on the matter then you could just tinker with some settings yourself in FM touch, I doubt that SI are going to fully explain the exact impact of every single instruction since they don't function independently anyway.

I am of course happy to take others' opinions, and do, obviously, and I'm in 2040 so I obviously tinker aplenty too, but I can understand your misassumptions. All I was asking for was for a specifically SI opinion, not yours, but thanks for offering it anyway...I'm sure it'll augment my understanding of the game somehow  :)

21 hours ago, alaugharne said:

I am of course happy to take others' opinions, and do, obviously, and I'm in 2040 so I obviously tinker aplenty too, but I can understand your misassumptions. All I was asking for was for a specifically SI opinion, not yours, but thanks for offering it anyway...I'm sure it'll augment my understanding of the game somehow  :)

Frankly speaking the pinned guides are all there, there are plenty of sources on the forums that give information, plus I have done a detailed and long video on team instructions and how they interact with roles and duties. If you check the pinned threads you will find excellent articles written by a host of people whose opinions are respected enough even by SI to be considered.  We (mods) keep being asked to do this every edition of the game by someone new to the forums. "Explain everything in my thread please since you are a mod". We can't be doing that every single year, since we keep repeating ourselves every single year, in different threads. And that's why we have pinned threads.

@wixxiis not wrong, in fact he is absolutely correct.  I would suggest you read some of the pinned threads. The moderators are here to guide people not write long expositions in every single thread. I hope you understand and take this the right way.

Frankly speaking the pinned guides are all there, there are plenty of sources on the forums that give information, plus I have done a detailed and long video on team instructions and how they interact with roles and duties. If you check the pinned threads you will find excellent articles written by a host of people whose opinions are respected enough even by SI to be considered.  We (mods) keep being asked to do this every edition of the game by someone new to the forums. "Explain everything in my thread please since you are a mod". We can't be doing that every single year, since we keep repeating ourselves every single year, in different threads. And that's why we have pinned threads.

@wixxiis not wrong, in fact he is absolutely correct.  I would suggest you read some of the pinned threads. The moderators are here to guide people not write long expositions in every single thread. I hope you understand and take this the right way.

Absolutely :) I've been playing Champo since the Italia '93 days, but FM only since the last iteration, so I admit I'm new to the game in that respect. All I was asking for - having read all the pinned posts / varied content around the web - was an SI version, but I completely understand and respect your points. I also never used forums other than this in the last year or so, so I also respect your points about mods; it's not like you made the game yourselves anyway, and you're only here to moderate, as your title implies. I literally just thought I'd ask, that was all :) Could you provide a link to your "detailed and long video on team instructions and how they interact with roles and duties" please? I'd love to watch it :)  I also hope you understand where I was coming from, and take this the right way :)

• 2 weeks later...

How much does mentality affect the instruction sliders?

For example, if you wanted to play a possession game, would a positive mentality + shorter passing play similar to a cautious mentality + high dline/loe + more urgent pressing?  And how would these differ to playing balanced with both sets of instructions (shorter passing + higher dline/loe +more pressing)?

Edited by Jack722