Signing players, with wages contributed by selling team

I've had a number of instances where I've sold a player and as part of the deal I have to still pay part of the wages of the player being sold. Firstly, does this really happen in real life as it's absolutely frustrating, but even more so is that fact I've never seen it work the other way round, when buying a transfer listed player. In other words, if I buy a player, I have no option to ask the selling team to contribute to the wages even though they want to get rid of that player.

Can some please enlighten me as to why this feature is in the game and if I am missing a trick in getting the selling team to contribute to wages?

I have no idea if it happens in real life, but I assume so. Else it would not be in the game. But this one I cannot help you with.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but you only pay for the duration of the contract the player would have had at your club. So it is a good way to get rid of expensive players with a year left on their contract. You have to look at the positives of it as well as the negatives. You will free up some wage budget for the current season (and this will go up again when the contract would have ended). Which is excellent if you need to do that and cannot wait to release the player on a free. You also can usually get teams to pay a little more in this scenario, so really it is not hurting you financially that much. For example in my current save I used this option with Ozil. In fact it was in the deal I offered to clubs. I think I offered 100k wages to be paid. Which seems a lot, but it freed up a lot of wage budget and meant I could sell him for 10 million. Which is decent for a player in their last year of a contract and who is on huge wages. 

I have also managed to do it with the AI a few times. I rarely try, because I am rarely trying to sign players in this manner. Only a few times when trying to add class to a smaller team. It works as above. They will often accept, but you have to offer slightly more in a transfer fee to offset the wage clause. Again it is most likely to work on players who  have a short time on their contract and who the selling team really wants to get off the wage budget (usually I do not sign players like this because their salary does not match their ability).

Oh, and another trick here. When offering out a player if you first select the selling team wage contribution clause, and then click "remove and exclude from negotiation" then this prevents AI teams from sending non-negotiable offers with a wage clause attached to it.

It does happen in real life, the most famous case of it happening is probably Leeds paying some of both Robbie Fowler and Robbie Keane's wages after they'd left the club.  

But anyway as @sporadicsmilessays you should always "remove and exclude" this option unless you are in serious financial trouble and desperate to have the player gone.

I'm quite happy to do it if a high earner is surplus to requirements. I'd rather sell him pay him £20,000 a week for the remainder of his contract with me than pay him £100,000 to rot in the reserves until it runs out.

It definitely happens in real life, probably more often than you'd realise.

On 11/01/2021 at 20:25, ashok_mittal_83 said:

I've had a number of instances where I've sold a player and as part of the deal I have to still pay part of the wages of the player being sold. Firstly, does this really happen in real life as it's absolutely frustrating, but even more so is that fact I've never seen it work the other way round, when buying a transfer listed player. In other words, if I buy a player, I have no option to ask the selling team to contribute to the wages even though they want to get rid of that player.

Can some please enlighten me as to why this feature is in the game and if I am missing a trick in getting the selling team to contribute to wages?

When you make an offer to the club for the player there’s an option for selling team wage contribution under “additional clauses” with a maximum of maybe 40/50%. It’s usually accepted if it’s a high earner on the transfer list.

I wouldn’t even consider buying a player from a big club without this being included as the player will generally not take a huge pay cut to join a “lesser” team.

On 11/01/2021 at 20:25, ashok_mittal_83 said:

If buying a listed player i always add it in if i can because it can make a big difference when signing a player from a bigger club

On 11/01/2021 at 20:49, sporadicsmiles said:

I'm not sure if you are aware, but you only pay for the duration of the contract the player would have had at your club. So it is a good way to get rid of expensive players with a year left on their contract. You have to look at the positives of it as well as the negatives. You will free up some wage budget for the current season (and this will go up again when the contract would have ended). Which is excellent if you need to do that and cannot wait to release the player on a free. You also can usually get teams to pay a little more in this scenario, so really it is not hurting you financially that much. For example in my current save I used this option with Ozil. In fact it was in the deal I offered to clubs. I think I offered 100k wages to be paid. Which seems a lot, but it freed up a lot of wage budget and meant I could sell him for 10 million. Which is decent for a player in their last year of a contract and who is on huge wages. 

Best way to look at this is to have set wages to annual (or mentally do the calculation). Then you can see your wage contribution for Ozil costs 5 million per annum and the buying club is paying 10m. This is probably a good deal, but really helps put other offers in context

If he had a three year contract, for example, your club will be better off accepting an offer for no money up front if you then don't have to pay the 5m pa wage contribution

When I did a wolves save I bought asensio after about two seasons in and get real Madrid to pay 80k of his wages, but all they did was raise the asking price by a few million essentially rendering the whole endeavour pointless, I thought I was laughing all the way to the bank at 40m for a player with so many green attributes to dazzle the eyes, then he arrived and got about 6.4 rating every game... 

10 minutes ago, Jorge666 said:

When I did a wolves save I bought asensio after about two seasons in and get real Madrid to pay 80k of his wages, but all they did was raise the asking price by a few million essentially rendering the whole endeavour pointless, I thought I was laughing all the way to the bank at 40m for a player with so many green attributes to dazzle the eyes, then he arrived and got about 6.4 rating every game... 

Some teams will add extra on because yes they want to make it less money they are paying out, Negotiation is they key, Know what you want to pay and walk away if needed 

Just now, cris182 said:

Some teams will add extra on because yes they want to make it less money they are paying out, Negotiation is they key, Know what you want to pay and walk away if needed 

Yeah, like I say it was either 36m and no wages paid or 40m and they paid 4m worth of wages so it was the same either way