Impact of player traits versus player instructions

The DLP role is 'hard coded' to attempt more risky passes. Which I assume means there is a greater chance that this will happen. Lets assume that it increases the chances of risky pass by say 10%. If I then the train the  player trait 'tries killer balls often' does that further increase the chances that a more risky pass will be attempted? So this player would then have say 20% increase in chances that a more risky pass will be attempted. In this illustration 10% for playing as DLP and 10% because they have the player trait 'tries killer balls often' Or put another way if I have player as DLP no point in training 'tries killer balls often' as player instruction is already set through 'tries more risky passes? Thanks

2 hours ago, Ysgol said:

If I then the train the  player trait 'tries killer balls often' does that further increase the chances that a more risky pass will be attempted?

Yes. But only after he has successfully learned (i.e. adopted) the trait. Because sometimes an attempt to learn a player trait can fail. 

2 hours ago, Ysgol said:

Or put another way if I have player as DLP no point in training 'tries killer balls often' as player instruction is already set through 'tries more risky passes?

If you want a player to learn a particular trait, the most important consideration is whether he has the right set of attributes to pull it off (irrespective of the role he plays in your tactic). For killer balls, a player obviously needs passing, vision, decisions, technique and anticipation (as the most important attributes). 

Many thanks for the reply. Is it right to assume that this type of impact (i.e. the trait further increases the chances of an event) extends to other traits that are also player/team instructions e.g, gets further forward/gets forward whenever possible, crosses early/hit early crosses, tries long range passes/more direct passing. Thanks

1 hour ago, Ysgol said:

Is it right to assume that this type of impact (i.e. the trait further increases the chances of an event) extends to other traits that are also player/team instructions e.g, gets further forward/gets forward whenever possible, crosses early/hit early crosses, tries long range passes/more direct passing

Yes :thup:

On a related topic. Do you feel that aiming for what he mentions (training a player PPM that further compliment your PI/TI) its often a good idea?

To take an example the "Tries killer balls often". If a player to make good use of it has to have good stats in the mentioned attributes (anticipation, passing, visions, decisions, technique), wouldn't he already be making those passes often? If he tries it now with the PPM in a situation that he wouldn't have before, wouldn't that be because its not such a good idea?

Mind you, I also train complimenting PPM often, but Im always wondering this, specially with good/inteligent players.

@Experienced Defender Was going to make a thread but I'll just jump onboard this one. 

I signed a player with the "get further forward" trait. However, I'd like to play him as an inside forward support in a pressing possession system (usually with a positive mentality.) Is that trait going to make him play like a inside forward attack? I have previous issues with the "break offside trap" instruction because it removes players from the buildup. Are the effects similar the above trait? Should I train him to remove it? 

1 minute ago, Guerin said:

I signed a player with the "get further forward" trait. However, I'd like to play him as an inside forward support in a pressing possession system (usually with a positive mentality.) Is that trait going to make him play like a inside forward attack?

Not literally, because traits - as well as PIs - do not change the individual mentality of a player. He will be encouraged to get forward a bit more than he otherwise would (when there is a good opportunity for that), but not as much as with an attack duty (due to the mentality difference). 

4 minutes ago, Guerin said:

I have previous issues with the "break offside trap" instruction because it removes players from the buildup. Are the effects similar the above trait? Should I train him to remove it?

You can train him to unlearn the trait if it affects his playing style in a way you don't like. Playing a player on support duty (as opposed to attack) can also help if you want him to be more involved in the build-up play. But the trait will always have some degree of influence.