Make the "asking price" worth something

FrazT

When you, as a selling team, set an asking price, particularly for a happy player who you don't want to sell, it appears to have absolutely no impact on the AI teams who continue to offer ridiculous offers way below even the in-game value.

Even allowing for the fact that the AI teams are trying to unsettle the player, I am sure that this is working how the code is intended but I will give you an example:

25 year old current international with just under 2 years left on his contract, happy with his playing time etc and I don't want to sell him.  In game value ( set by the game ) is 9.75M.  After rejecting bids of around 4 and 5m for him, my AM suggests setting an asking price at a level where I might be prepared to consider a bid.  I set the asking price to 20M and I may be willing to negotiate down to say 18M if and when offers come in.  Since setting that price, I have received 5 offers and not one of them have even met his in game value, far less the asking price.

My point therefore is that setting an asking price is completely pointless as the AI managers are not even considering this before offering.  If teams were offering bids around 80-90% of the asking price in order to negotiate, I could understand that.  When they offer 40-50%, then it is not working as intended.

Furthermore, I think more consideration needs to be taken when consider the finances involved with and the board reactions to MLS transfers. In reality, most MLS transfers are conducted below the $1 million threshold, but this is not quite reflected in FM 2021 for PC. To be specific, I can start a career with Minnesota United and transfer list Kevin Molino, a 30-year-old attacking midfielder who plays best in the center or on the left wing, for an initial asking price of $2.5 million based on his active status in the Trinidad and Tobago squad, being a leading player for my club in recent seasons, and his MLS experience (including the fact that he is already fluent in the English language. Most of the offers I will receive will reach a maximum non-negotiable offer of $1.3 million, even though his value is $1.8 million. 

In a different scenario, I have tried to sell older players as manager of Minnesota United, specifically players like Ozzie Alonso and Aaron Schoenfold, who are both described as "players past their prime" and their attributes quickly deteriorate. In the case of Alonso, he is valued at $250,000. I will set an asking price of $500,000-$750,000 due to his experience, leadership skills, etc. The only offers I can get are non-negotiable offers from Mexico worth, at most, $200,000, despite all of his qualities and being a potentially leading player for his new clubs and league.

Even if I sell a player like Molino or Olonzo for around $500,000 above their market value, I am sick of seeing how the board is "very upset" or "very disappointed with the finances involved in selling" either these players, especially when you consider the fact that their salaries are both significantly over $500,000. I don't think that this is accurate for MLS sides because $500,000 is enough for a quality role player to a potential starter in reality. Furthermore, it appears that any type of loan addition for a quality role player or starter from another country results in negative feedback from the board, even when the only way to secure the player is by paying 100% of their salary. I think this needs to be adjusted as well because most MLS teams don't have those quality players from South America that have incredible potential or attributes. I would think that any addition of a quality player would result in positive feedback, so long as you don't spend a ridiculous amount in wages. 

Now, that's my concern on selling players. But I also have concerns on acquiring players.

For instance, if I, as Minnesota United, make an offer for Callum Montgomery, who they acquired in reality via trade by giving up a draft pick, I have to offer a minimum $700,000, which is a lot of money for most MLS sides. This comes on top the player being valued at $250,000-$400,000, playing nearly at his full potential, and having a maximum potential of 2.5-3 stars.

I think the transfer settings need to be adjusted for the MLS and similar leagues.

• 1 month later...